Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 191

Thread: Pirating of Music and other Digital Media

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    Stuff on the radio/t.v. belongs to the IP holders, which is not necessarily the station that broadcasts it. Stuff you post on facebook is not your intellectual property as by using the site you are waiving ownership of the content you post.
    Apparently this disclaimer negates that.

    In response to the new Facebook guidelines I (Insert name here)hereby declare that my copyright is attached to all of my personal details, illustrations, comics, paintings, professional photos and videos, etc. (as a result of the Berner Convention).
    For commercial use of the above my written consent is needed at all times!
    (Anyone reading this can copy this text and paste it on their Facebook Wall. This will place them under protection of copyright laws. By the present communiqué, I notify Facebook that it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, disseminate, or take any other action against me on the basis of this profile and/or its contents. The aforementioned prohibited actions also apply to employees, students, agents and/or any staff under Facebook's direction or control. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of my privacy is punished by law (UCC 1 1-308-308 1-103 and the Rome Statute).

    Facebook is now an open capital entity. All members are recommended to publish a notice like this, or if you prefer, you may copy and paste this version. If you do not publish a statement at least once, you will be tacitly allowing the use of elements such as your photos as well as the information contained in your profile status updates.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Celadon City, Den of Vice
    Posts
    2,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Apparently this disclaimer negates that.
    I find it pretty ridiculous how many people actually believed that.

    Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/


  3. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    Whether your or not your friends could make their own recording for free is irrelevant in the eyes of copyright law. One would be infracted for distribution of the content without the right's holder's permission. So where the first copy came from does not matter.
    im not 100% sure of what you are saying here but, if i recorded something, and my friend recorded the same thing, but a 3rd freind happened to be unable to record it for whatever reason, why isnt he entitled to have a recording?

    also, i am not saying that pirating is good, im just pointing out what i see.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

  4. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624 View Post
    I rebuttal and say that it is always considered wrong. Just because you can justify it you yourself doesn't make it right. Do I need to break it down further for you?
    Its pretty much a fact that just because something is illegal does not mean that it is inherently bad, wrong, or immoral. Do you know how many things that are illegal that have nothing to do with morality or right/wrong? Do you know how many things that are immoral/wrong that are not illegal? There are even instances in which a new law gets created that has nothing to do with morality and everything to do with people of power/influence lobbying to get whatever it is that they want.
    My FC for 5th gen is 4041 2078 1937
    current wifi team
        Spoiler:- MasterBark:

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Pirating music is best done in moderation. I'm certainly not against it per se, I've downloaded many a tune onto my ipod. Yet, I've always made sure that these are a maximum of 2 or 3 songs by a certain artist. If I like any more, I'll buy the CD. That's simply common courtesy. If you like the band enough to listen to the majority of their music, then have the decency to show them some real support (at least if they are a middling/small artist, I couldn't give a **** about you not paying for Justin Bieber/Kanye West/RHCP songs).

    Piracy can also be a good thing to an extent, in that when you borrow and copy someone's cd for free, you're essentially committing something resembling piracy. Yet if you like the music, tell a friend about it etc, then the three of you buy tickets to that band's show, it's worked out very well for them financially.

    Piracy is ok as long as you don't take the piss.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in the souther. U.S.
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmical El Amarna View Post
    Its pretty much a fact that just because something is illegal does not mean that it is inherently bad, wrong, or immoral. Do you know how many things that are illegal that have nothing to do with morality or right/wrong? Do you know how many things that are immoral/wrong that are not illegal? There are even instances in which a new law gets created that has nothing to do with morality and everything to do with people of power/influence lobbying to get whatever it is that they want.
    Everything in this world has something to do with right and wrong. It is the powerful people who discern what is supposed to be defined as right or wrong. Otherwise we would not be having a debate over gay marriage. Again, I made a statement about the immoral, illegal thing, as well as the legal moral thing. Laws are created on the issue of that something is believed to be bad for society. Let's look at history. Marijuna was illegalized not because it is a drug, but paper companies lobbied against it. It was thought to hurt that section of the economy and put under the title of drugs. Inheretly it was still bad for society because it could hurt that section of the economy. When times change, people adapt to a different form of belief that will make such laws morally acceptable. Ever read the history of divorce? Just because there isn't any form associated with a law currently does not mean there wasn't on in the past. Every law that was created was in fact to stop something that was bad physically, economically or morally.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624 View Post
    If you actually read your post states that not everything illegal can just easily be considered wrong.


    I rebuttal and say that it is always considered wrong. Just because you can justify it you yourself doesn't make it right. Do I need to break it down further for you?
    If you actually read your post, you never state that it(something illegal) is always considered wrong. You comment parallel to my point then give one example that neither contradicts nor reinforced my point.

    Additionally, you open with


    This statement is easily countered for it fails to realize that there are legal things that are considered immoral.
    Which tries to rebuttal a statement I'm not making. I'm merely using the obvious flaw in that logic(which you clearly understand) to poke a hole in the circular logic that is, piracy is wrong because it is illegal. Piracy very well could be wrong, but not because it is illegal. It is wrong because [fill in the blank] and therefore it is illegal.

    I hope that is spelled out enough for you.



    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Pirating music is best done in moderation. I'm certainly not against it per se, I've downloaded many a tune onto my ipod. Yet, I've always made sure that these are a maximum of 2 or 3 songs by a certain artist. If I like any more, I'll buy the CD. That's simply common courtesy. If you like the band enough to listen to the majority of their music, then have the decency to show them some real support (at least if they are a middling/small artist, I couldn't give a **** about you not paying for Justin Bieber/Kanye West/RHCP songs).


    Piracy can also be a good thing to an extent, in that when you borrow and copy someone's cd for free, you're essentially committing something resembling piracy. Yet if you like the music, tell a friend about it etc, then the three of you buy tickets to that band's show, it's worked out very well for them financially.


    Piracy is ok as long as you don't take the piss.

    That's certainly something interesting to consider. There's a very fine line between sampling/previewing and stealing though. I've flirted with that line on occasion.

    I don't listen to music all that much, streaming for the most part satisfied my needs. But for music, on the rare occasion I've downloaded something I didn't already own and I liked it, I went out and purchased it. For instance, being a fan of daft punk, when tron legacy came out and I found out they did the soundtrack, I went and pulled down the album. I enjoyed it more than I think I did when watching the movie. So when it came out on dvd/bluray, I spent the extra money to get the combo pack with the sound track despite already having it. The same has been the case with movies. A certain movie series which I thought I would never like, watch or own, plays quite regularly on TV, but I've never actually been able to watch the movie from start to finish when on TV. Curious enough I downloaded it and watched it all the way through. Entertained enough, I downloaded the second movie. Further entertained I actually went to the theaters for the last two. I now own them all. A series of events that would have not likely occurred if not for pirating.

    It all boils down to the bottom line which depends on how effectively you can appeal to your audience. In this case, the big studios are doing a poor job. They are pouring money into lobbying for legislation that will never stop piracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    About 97% of these women posing for pornographic pictures are held at gunpoint, and it can be anywhere. The majority of the time is by force.
    Lulz wat?

    SC: 5414 - 8627 - 7288 Platinum: 2621 - 8560 - 3249

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in the souther. U.S.
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    If you actually read your post, you never state that it(something illegal) is always considered wrong. You comment parallel to my point then give one example that neither contradicts nor reinforced my point.

    Additionally, you open with




    Which tries to rebuttal a statement I'm not making. I'm merely using the obvious flaw in that logic(which you clearly understand) to poke a hole in the circular logic that is, piracy is wrong because it is illegal. Piracy very well could be wrong, but not because it is illegal. It is wrong because [fill in the blank] and therefore it is illegal.

    I hope that is spelled out enough for you.
    Ok, now I see where your coming from. You know those moments where your saying something that makes complete sense in your head, but it takes a while to see that it doesn't. I just had that moment. =p Sorry. Finals have me working off of two hours of sleep, and I use this as my mental break.

    Edit: Before I am flagged for not being on topic.

    Agreeing with Ched, there is a difference between sampling and stealing. If you can't afford the song, then jus get on youtube when you feel like hearing. What makes you think they don't deserve the money they worked hard for. I support my musicians because I want them to keep making music. It the attitude that only pirating one is not bad that gets us into this mess. It then becomes who determines when too much is enough. One day, it will come to the point where being a musician won't be popular because they are losing more money than they make. For example, it an artist who advertises like Taylor Swift doesn't got platinum with her cd, she will actually begin to lose money. When companies lose money, they drop their singers.
    Last edited by miles0624; 13th December 2012 at 8:39 AM.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    That's certainly something interesting to consider. There's a very fine line between sampling/previewing and stealing though. I've flirted with that line on occasion.
    Undoubtedly. Worth pointing out though that it is through touring that bands make the majority of their money. They get c. 33% from the sale of a record.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akriloth View Post
    However, by this chart, the music industry has only slightly shrunk from 1996 up to 2005. Are you sure that part of this isn't just an increasing lack of caring from consumers? Also, there are still a fair number of people getting rich in the music industry. Do you not have more up-to-date information? (Also, a source might help.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    Why are people are assuming stuff people pirate is always commercially available. Some stuff isn't for sale, so pirating it doesn't hurt anybody's finances.
    Except people at used shops and eBay, whom the government also hates and would presumably have more cause to bust for profiting off of the same harms caused to the music industry, i.e. their not getting money from the exchange(s).

    Also to the people saying it's illegal: yes it is copyright infringement and illegal. So is a very large portion of stuff on the internet. (hence the SOPA/PIPA fuss) You may want to use a different leg to stand on with your argument. (like and economic or moral one)

    Piracy concerns aren't always about money, but they are always about ownership of rights.
    Actually, this site could probably be considered in violation of copyright. If you complain about copyright infringement and enjoy fan works or, arguably, are in fandom at all, you have no legs to stand on. Do you like Homestuck fan art? That could be taken down. Sprite comics? Gone. Are you an Ace Attorney fan who likes fan cases? They could be gone, too. OC ReMix? Gone. Let's Plays? Gone. GIF sets? Gone. Tumblr would basically collapse. A large quantity of Etsy would be gone. In theory, it could get to a point where I could be arrested for posting this silly picture:



    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    also, i am not saying that pirating is good, im just pointing out what i see.
    Piracy can increase distribution, and many pirates do buy the music they download at a later date. In some ways, it strikes me as no more harmful than a radio, which only costs the price of the unit and power supply, neither of which funds the artist or the music industry folks (the size of whose paychecks I'd argue against, but that's another matter). Under the assumption, of course, that they buy the albums or delete the files.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    276

    Default

    I see my post fell on deaf ears.

    As far as artists are concerned, they make almost no money off of their album sales, especially if you are a new artist. The contracts they sign are actually loans, in which the record company agrees to front X amount of dollars for all the necessary pieces to put the album together. Which is why you see so many artists nowadays, being signed to joint label ventures, because it defrays the amount of money the record label has to put up, and if the album does not live up to expectations they have not lose as much money as if they were the only label supporting this artist.
    It is also for this reason that you see artists creating their own clothing/perfume/sneaker/etc. lines, signing endorsement deals, moving into TV/movies and tons of other business ventures, is because that is where the real money is made. They receive a much better payout engaging in these activities. It's the same reason movie stars will go overseas and film a commercial for some product, the money is better.

    I believe the biggest hurdle that consumable media has encountered is the shift from physical ownership of an object to digital ownership of an object. Which is why you can sell your Jordans on eBay. But you cannot put a listing on eBay for a pair of Jordans which drop on Saturday when it is a Tuesday.
    Our society has become more service focused than product focused, which is why companies like Facebook, Netflix and YouTube are so popular. When you sign up for all of these services, you are asked to agree to a user agreement, which basically says that we as the company are offering you these items for a certain price but we can use certain things as we please, we expect you to engage in a certain type of behavior etc. etc.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In my cave of hiding
    Posts
    238

    Default

    I'll take a whack at this. I know I'm on sporadically but honestly this is the only good board to me and its slow as hell >_>


    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624 View Post
    Every law that was created was in fact to stop something that was bad physically, economically or morally.
    Oh you mean like:http://tjshome.com/dumblaws.php

    Nebraska
    It is not legal for a tavern owner to serve beer unless a nice kettle of soup is also brewing.

    New York
    A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.

    New York City
    Citizens may not greet each other by "putting one's thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers".

    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624 View Post
    What makes you think they don't deserve the money they worked hard for.
    The real question is what makes you so certain i owe to them to give them my money?

    The issue here is that people don't really seem to know what the difference between piracy and stealing.

    Stealing: Taking a physical object from some one that belongs to him or her with out her consent. There is only 1 object of its kind.
    Piracy: Making a copy of the persons object. There are no two objects and both persons have 1.

    Knowing this, morally it cant be wrong to pirate since neither person lost anything in the exchange.

    If you want to make the argument that the person with the original object loses money, then how about people who share their own copy of a legally bought object? Is that not a lost sale on the person who owns the original objects part? What of people who simply wouldn't buy a copy of the object in the first place who didn't have any money? Is it really a lost sale if there would never have been a sale in the first place? Hell lets take this further, would a person who wants nothing to do with the object be morally responsible to support the person with the original with a sale because of the sheer fact that he or she is a potential sale? Why or why why not?
    Last edited by Roaring Apathy; 14th December 2012 at 12:14 AM.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Actually I would disagree, I am quite sure everyone knows the difference between the two verbs. Pirating is what the industry has adopted as the label for this "crime". Even when they show commercials asking people not to pirate they show a guy going on a site downloading an album and ripping it to a CD.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaring Apathy View Post
    I'll take a whack at this. I know I'm on sporadically but honestly this is the only good board to me and its slow as hell >_>




    Oh you mean like:http://tjshome.com/dumblaws.php

    Nebraska
    It is not legal for a tavern owner to serve beer unless a nice kettle of soup is also brewing.

    New York
    A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.

    New York City
    Citizens may not greet each other by "putting one's thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers".



    The real question is what makes you so certain i owe to them to give them my money?

    The issue here is that people don't really seem to know what the difference between piracy and stealing.

    Stealing: Taking a physical object from some one that belongs to him or her with out her consent. There is only 1 object of its kind.
    Piracy: Making a copy of the persons object. There are no two objects and both persons have 1.

    Knowing this, morally it cant be wrong to pirate since neither person lost anything in the exchange.

    If you want to make the argument that the person with the original object loses money, then how about people who share their own copy of a legally bought object? Is that not a lost sale on the person who owns the original objects part? What of people who simply wouldn't buy a copy of the object in the first place who didn't have any money? Is it really a lost sale if there would never have been a sale in the first place? Hell lets take this further, would a person who wants nothing to do with the object be morally responsible to support the person with the original with a sale because of the sheer fact that he or she is a potential sale? Why or why why not?
    put yourself in the artists shoes, you worked hord on something and u wanted to get income for it. but then you see poeple taking it for free, and the income you could have had, goes down the drain.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    594

    Default

    I agree with piracy, because without Piracy then my Itunes Library would be like 1 album and an A-ha song.
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Piracy hurts the economy to a certain extent, sure. But did it do enough damage to stop me from downloading 320gb of music back in 2010? No. Now whether I'm just an immoral S.O.B. or know a decent bit about economics, that's a very good question...
    Game: Soul Silver
    Name: Agent X
    FC: 3955-1298-0022

    Fire Red Team (0 badges):


    Emerald Team (3 badges):


    Soul Silver Team (16 badges):

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    Piracy hurts the economy to a certain extent, sure. But did it do enough damage to stop me from downloading 320gb of music back in 2010? No. Now whether I'm just an immoral S.O.B. or know a decent bit about economics, that's a very good question...
    Given that you're throwing out being an immoral sob I'm going to assume that the 320gb of music you downloaded was not paid for. Which if that's the case you're not making any sense and I greatly questions your understanding of economics.
    Last edited by ChedWick; 16th December 2012 at 10:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    About 97% of these women posing for pornographic pictures are held at gunpoint, and it can be anywhere. The majority of the time is by force.
    Lulz wat?

    SC: 5414 - 8627 - 7288 Platinum: 2621 - 8560 - 3249

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in the souther. U.S.
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaring Apathy View Post
    I'll take a whack at this. I know I'm on sporadically but honestly this is the only good board to me and its slow as hell >_>




    Oh you mean like:http://tjshome.com/dumblaws.php

    Nebraska
    It is not legal for a tavern owner to serve beer unless a nice kettle of soup is also brewing.

    New York
    A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.

    New York City
    Citizens may not greet each other by "putting one's thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers".



    The real question is what makes you so certain i owe to them to give them my money?

    The issue here is that people don't really seem to know what the difference between piracy and stealing.

    Stealing: Taking a physical object from some one that belongs to him or her with out her consent. There is only 1 object of its kind.
    Piracy: Making a copy of the persons object. There are no two objects and both persons have 1.

    Knowing this, morally it cant be wrong to pirate since neither person lost anything in the exchange.

    If you want to make the argument that the person with the original object loses money, then how about people who share their own copy of a legally bought object? Is that not a lost sale on the person who owns the original objects part? What of people who simply wouldn't buy a copy of the object in the first place who didn't have any money? Is it really a lost sale if there would never have been a sale in the first place? Hell lets take this further, would a person who wants nothing to do with the object be morally responsible to support the person with the original with a sale because of the sheer fact that he or she is a potential sale? Why or why why not?

    1. Yes. All those laws were meant for the right intent. =p Actually, the last two laws did serve a distinct purpose. I remember reading it in one of my books. I'll see if I can find why they were created for you. The Nebraska one has me stumped.

    2. What makes you feel entitled to their music? Also under you definition, we shouldn't have copyright laws or patents. Both of which fall under piracy. If they never would have bought it than they don't need it. If I was broke, I wouldn't buy a candy bar, but since I wasn't going to buy it, me taking it wouldn't have dented the store owners pocket.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Thank God for internet piracy! I love emulators and roms. I love how I can stream almost any movie and tv show. Who cares if it hurts the economy? How else am I supposed to watch Dexter?
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In my cave of hiding
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624 View Post
    1. Yes. All those laws were meant for the right intent. =p
    Considering you cant justify the nebraska one I'm not sure if you can actually make that call.

    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624 View Post
    2. What makes you feel entitled to their music?
    I wouldnt say entitled, that implies I have a right to the music. Its hard to explain this, but id say that people can and will take music they like, because they can. Try to imagine a naturalistic scenario.

    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624 View Post
    Also under you definition, we shouldn't have copyright laws or patents. Both of which fall under piracy.
    They...fall under piracy? Im a bit confused here.

    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624 View Post
    If they never would have bought it than they don't need it.
    Alot of people dont have money to buy food, and since they dont buy it that means they dont need it?

    Granted it doesnt apply to the context, but it does show the faulty thought in that logic.

    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624 View Post
    If I was broke, I wouldn't buy a candy bar, but since I wasn't going to buy it, me taking it wouldn't have dented the store owners pocket.
    Making a COPY of it wouldnt, no.

    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    put yourself in the artists shoes, you worked hord on something and u wanted to get income for it. but then you see poeple taking it for free, and the income you could have had, goes down the drain.
    Not their problem, I dont deserve the money out of their pocket for making copies, as they didnt take a physical copy of my work.

    I wont say that the person cant retaliate though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Elliot View Post
    Actually I would disagree, I am quite sure everyone knows the difference between the two verbs. .
    That Im not questioning. Perhaps I should rephrase what I said.

    People dont know the dynamic difference between the two verbs, and equate them as being the same. They think "both take money out of the pocket of the person with the original copy" but don't realize that they're not accountable to the other because the original was never stolen but only copied.
    Last edited by Roaring Apathy; 17th December 2012 at 9:59 AM.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in the souther. U.S.
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaring Apathy View Post
    Considering you cant justify the nebraska one I'm not sure if you can actually make that call.



    I wouldnt say entitled, that implies I have a right to the music. Its hard to explain this, but id say that people can and will take music they like, because they can. Try to imagine a naturalistic scenario.



    They...fall under piracy? Im a bit confused here.



    Alot of people dont have money to buy food, and since they dont buy it that means they dont need it?

    Granted it doesnt apply to the context, but it does show the faulty thought in that logic.



    Making a COPY of it wouldnt, no.



    Not their problem, I dont deserve the money out of their pocket for making copies, as they didnt take a physical copy of my work.

    I wont say that the person cant retaliate though.



    That Im not questioning. Perhaps I should rephrase what I said.

    People dont know the dynamic difference between the two verbs, and equate them as being the same. They think "both take money out of the pocket of the person with the original copy" but don't realize that they're not accountable to the other because the original was never stolen but only copied.
    Point 1: I conceded that point on page 2. Thats why I was joking on this page. However, If I had to do the Nebraska one, I would guess that it was made so sloppy drunk people would go home a little more sober. Maybe, but again I concede.

    point 2: I would like to rebuttal, but I don't fully understand the point you are trying to make. Could you elaborate on that a little more for me if you can.

    Point 3: Copyright laws do fall under piracy. (the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.) It is mainly used to describe the use of music, but many more categories fall under its jurisdiction.

    Point 4: Doesn't apply, but it does show faulty logic. Conceded.

    Point 5: OMG. I need a real life copy machine. I want mass candy bars

    Point 6-7: I'll let the other person do that.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,943

    Default

    I do it sometimes, but usually only with video game music and stuff that isn't usually sold, so I don't think I'm really hurting anyone's wallet. I'd like to say it's a good thing, but I honestly can't find any justifiable reason for it, so I'm just going to let it go.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I almost always have to pirate my music because I listen to concert (sit down bands) bands and itunes NEVER has the music I'm looking for, as for other things I pirate, I hate apple, not their products but the greedy people that run it. I think as a company apple has enough money and that when I was younger I spent enough money on their products and that I shouldn't have to burn out 20$ to get my newest songs when i can get em for free. My main problem IS pricing, I'm 17..... money is not easy to come by for me so spending unnecessary money on songs is not worth it in my opinion.

    As for emulators I think they are fine and dandy for the old consoles such as gamecube, snes, n64, etc BECAUSE at this point they are out of production and buying the console send 0 profit to the creators.
    Epic trades for you!

    FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

    Offering:
    DWF:

    Looking for:

    Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

    All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

    In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

    Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    as for other things I pirate, I hate apple, not their products but the greedy people that run it. I think as a company apple has enough money and that when I was younger I spent enough money on their products and that I shouldn't have to burn out 20$ to get my newest songs when i can get em for free.

    So just because walmart has a ton of money and I've given them a ton of money over the years, I'm entitled to walking in and take what I please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    About 97% of these women posing for pornographic pictures are held at gunpoint, and it can be anywhere. The majority of the time is by force.
    Lulz wat?

    SC: 5414 - 8627 - 7288 Platinum: 2621 - 8560 - 3249

  25. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Thank God for internet piracy! I love emulators and roms. I love how I can stream almost any movie and tv show. Who cares if it hurts the economy? How else am I supposed to watch Dexter?
    I absolutley agree with you..I download torrents constantly.....I think there's nothing wrong with it unless you sell it to the public for more than the retail price. especially with music...you want to see if your gonna like it before you purchase it right? well if you download it and dont like it you wont waste your money....that's how I see it...
    [IMG]http://i46.*******.com/344ckkj.png[/IMG]

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •