Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 191

Thread: Pirating of Music and other Digital Media

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    So just because walmart has a ton of money and I've given them a ton of money over the years, I'm entitled to walking in and take what I please?
    i agree with that statement, but i also stand by my recording statement.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me or take a look at the information in my profile.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    So just because walmart has a ton of money and I've given them a ton of money over the years, I'm entitled to walking in and take what I please?
    hmmmm interesting thought, well when itunes practically owns the music market its hard to go anywhere else, like I could go to another store instead of walmart but with music i can't go to zune and by music and expect it to go onto my ipod...
    Epic trades for you!

    FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

    Offering:
    DWF:

    Looking for:

    Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

    All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

    In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

    Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    hmmmm interesting thought, well when itunes practically owns the music market its hard to go anywhere else, like I could go to another store instead of walmart but with music i can't go to zune and by music and expect it to go onto my ipod...
    Yes you can. You just have to convert it to the itunes format. Ignorance does not excuse you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    About 97% of these women posing for pornographic pictures are held at gunpoint, and it can be anywhere. The majority of the time is by force.
    Lulz wat?

    SC: 5414 - 8627 - 7288 Platinum: 2621 - 8560 - 3249

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    Yes you can. You just have to convert it to the itunes format. Ignorance does not excuse you.
    So are you saying you're fine with paying hundreds of dollars to get music, my playlist is currently 400 songs, why should I pay that much for music? If i spent 200+$ on an itouch/pod/phone, why should I pay that much for songs? With that logic I've already given apple or microsoft or whoever developed the player 0ver 600$. Are you saying thats a fair amount of money for me to pay? Also what about music thats not on itunes? Can I pirate that?
    Epic trades for you!

    FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

    Offering:
    DWF:

    Looking for:

    Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

    All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

    In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

    Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    So are you saying you're fine with paying hundreds of dollars to get music, my playlist is currently 400 songs, why should I pay that much for music? If i spent 200+$ on an itouch/pod/phone, why should I pay that much for songs? With that logic I've already given apple or microsoft or whoever developed the player 0ver 600$. Are you saying thats a fair amount of money for me to pay? Also what about music thats not on itunes? Can I pirate that?
    I can already tell there is no sense of reason within your argument so I'll keep my assessment of each sentence brief.

    I don't listen to much music, free streaming services are fine with me, but I do watch a lot of movies and the amount of money I've sunk into owning the dvds and blu rays is well into the thousands. So yea, I'm fine with it.

    You should pay for the music because someone else put hours upon hours of work into it. Say you're a construction worker or just a simple handy man. Would you like to put hours of work into something only to not get paid just because someone else paid for the materials? I doubt it.

    iTunes is not the only outlet to purchase music for. You can buy from the zune store, from itunes, from amazon, directly from the artist, hell you can buy the cd and just rip the songs to your computer. Additionally, buying a music player does not entitle you to every music track ever made especially considering you don't need a iPod to play the music. Apple does not make the music, they distribute it. You are paying for the hardware, not the media; a hardware of your choosing mind you. To think otherwise is foolish, immature and quite frankly, retarded. So yea, that is a fair amount to pay.

    By your logic, well just reference past post about walmart. Because that's exactly your logic. Pretty stupid logic huh?
    Last edited by ChedWick; 27th December 2012 at 7:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    About 97% of these women posing for pornographic pictures are held at gunpoint, and it can be anywhere. The majority of the time is by force.
    Lulz wat?

    SC: 5414 - 8627 - 7288 Platinum: 2621 - 8560 - 3249

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Goldeen State
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    So just because walmart has a ton of money and I've given them a ton of money over the years, I'm entitled to walking in and take what I please?
    But downloading a song is different than going to a store and buying a sack of oranges. Downloading an MP3 doesn't give you a tangible object of any sort so is it really stealing, you don't get a solid object you can touch it's just bits put together to make sound.

  7. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Thank God for internet piracy! I love emulators and roms. I love how I can stream almost any movie and tv show. Who cares if it hurts the economy? How else am I supposed to watch Dexter?
    Netflix, TV, DVDs, etc.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokénaut View Post
    But downloading a song is different than going to a store and buying a sack of oranges. Downloading an MP3 doesn't give you a tangible object of any sort so is it really stealing, you don't get a solid object you can touch it's just bits put together to make sound.

    Tangible or not, its still something. So the logic and reasoning are the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    About 97% of these women posing for pornographic pictures are held at gunpoint, and it can be anywhere. The majority of the time is by force.
    Lulz wat?

    SC: 5414 - 8627 - 7288 Platinum: 2621 - 8560 - 3249

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    Tangible or not, its still something. So the logic and reasoning are the same.
    By saying you don't listen to music you kinda put yourself far out of my plight.... also why so hostile? I'm just asking questions, you're just insulting me specifically... Also I don't agree with dvd pirating so don't put me in that category. Also the amount that the actual creator gets from me buying their song on itunes is so miniscule it doesn't matter, If i'm paying 99 cents for a song then the creator in the end gets maybe 50 cents... so its not like pirating a game or dvd where the creator loses actual dollar amounts, all in all just because you can afford all the media you want doesn't mean the next guy over can. Applying the logic, that I don't have to do so no one else should isn't sound
    Epic trades for you!

    FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

    Offering:
    DWF:

    Looking for:

    Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

    All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

    In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

    Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    By saying you don't listen to music you kinda put yourself far out of my plight.... also why so hostile? I'm just asking questions, you're just insulting me specifically... Also I don't agree with dvd pirating so don't put me in that category. Also the amount that the actual creator gets from me buying their song on itunes is so miniscule it doesn't matter, If i'm paying 99 cents for a song then the creator in the end gets maybe 50 cents... so its not like pirating a game or dvd where the creator loses actual dollar amounts, all in all just because you can afford all the media you want doesn't mean the next guy over can. Applying the logic, that I don't have to do so no one else should isn't sound

    I'm slightly hostile because your reasoning is just dumb. Pirate it because you're poor and don't care, fine w/e. Try to rationalize it as ok or justified in irrational ways so as to make yourself feel better, well you see how I respond...

    Music and movies are not so far disconnected from each other in this topic as you may seem to think. Movies come out constantly and cost significantly more then any one song.

    To think pirating music to not be on the same level as pirating movies is just foolish. The amount the artist gets per download is on average 10% and while minuscule at 99cent per song, it amounts to quite a few dollars values when millions of people are pirating an artists works. So yea, its exactly like pirating a game or movie. You can't justly rationalize it not to be. You're doing exactly the same thing.

    Yea, just because I can afford it, doesn't mean everyone else can; I never said such. But I am saying, you are not entitled to something regardless of your ability to afford it or how much money you dumped into something related; this is something you did say. None of your logic is remotely sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    About 97% of these women posing for pornographic pictures are held at gunpoint, and it can be anywhere. The majority of the time is by force.
    Lulz wat?

    SC: 5414 - 8627 - 7288 Platinum: 2621 - 8560 - 3249

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in the souther. U.S.
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    By saying you don't listen to music you kinda put yourself far out of my plight.... also why so hostile? I'm just asking questions, you're just insulting me specifically... Also I don't agree with dvd pirating so don't put me in that category. Also the amount that the actual creator gets from me buying their song on itunes is so miniscule it doesn't matter, If i'm paying 99 cents for a song then the creator in the end gets maybe 50 cents... so its not like pirating a game or dvd where the creator loses actual dollar amounts, all in all just because you can afford all the media you want doesn't mean the next guy over can. Applying the logic, that I don't have to do so no one else should isn't sound
    That is your problem. You are not seeing the big picture. Each song, the actual singer only makes about 10 cents. Now we have over 53 million people pirating music. That means the artist has just lost 5.3 million dollars, not the ten cents that you have thought in your mind.

    2. It was you choice to buy an ipod or what ever. I have a six year old 8gb Sansa that only cost me thirty-three dollars. Still works as good as a modern Ipod. It was your choice to buy it, not the choice of apple or anyone else.

    3. Lastly, it is important to note that there are other people who are payed of that song. The band, the studio, production cost, advertisement, etc... of the 99 cents or 1.26 cents on itunes (just get it on Amazon, it never goes above 99 cents), they only bring home 33 cents. So on average, 34.98 million dollars will be lost because of illegal downloading (which you contribute to.) That could be someone losing their house, not being able to send their children to a better school, etc. Not everyone who worked to create the song are rich. Some of the back up singers make as little as 32k a year. The studio can't afford to pay them more if they aren't making more money.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624 View Post
    That is your problem. You are not seeing the big picture. Each song, the actual singer only makes about 10 cents. Now we have over 53 million people pirating music. That means the artist has just lost 5.3 million dollars, not the ten cents that you have thought in your mind.

    2. It was you choice to buy an ipod or what ever. I have a six year old 8gb Sansa that only cost me thirty-three dollars. Still works as good as a modern Ipod. It was your choice to buy it, not the choice of apple or anyone else.

    3. Lastly, it is important to note that there are other people who are payed of that song. The band, the studio, production cost, advertisement, etc... of the 99 cents or 1.26 cents on itunes (just get it on Amazon, it never goes above 99 cents), they only bring home 33 cents. So on average, 34.98 million dollars will be lost because of illegal downloading (which you contribute to.) That could be someone losing their house, not being able to send their children to a better school, etc. Not everyone who worked to create the song are rich. Some of the back up singers make as little as 32k a year. The studio can't afford to pay them more if they aren't making more money.
    Fine whatever, guess I am off the mark, doesn't mean I'm gonna stop unfortunately, I'll buy my apps, movies, games etc. but I don't think I'm going to spend money of songs when I don't feel obligated to
    Epic trades for you!

    FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

    Offering:
    DWF:

    Looking for:

    Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

    All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

    In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

    Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    Fine whatever, guess I am off the mark, doesn't mean I'm gonna stop unfortunately, I'll buy my apps, movies, games etc. but I don't think I'm going to spend money of songs when I don't feel obligated to
    Fine then, I'll choose to kill people when I don't feel obligated to follow the law
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    Fine whatever, guess I am off the mark, doesn't mean I'm gonna stop unfortunately, I'll buy my apps, movies, games etc. but I don't think I'm going to spend money of songs when I don't feel obligated to
    Very far off the mark in fact I'm still not quite seeing how you don't feel obligated to. Especially when you find pirating of movies and games as wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    About 97% of these women posing for pornographic pictures are held at gunpoint, and it can be anywhere. The majority of the time is by force.
    Lulz wat?

    SC: 5414 - 8627 - 7288 Platinum: 2621 - 8560 - 3249

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in the souther. U.S.
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    Fine whatever, guess I am off the mark, doesn't mean I'm gonna stop unfortunately, I'll buy my apps, movies, games etc. but I don't think I'm going to spend money of songs when I don't feel obligated to
    I don't feel obligated to respect your property, so I am going to take your ipod.

    Seriously, what they are saying is don't try to justify something wrong when you know its wrong just because your poor/selfish/lazy/etc.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624 View Post
    I don't feel obligated to respect your property, so I am going to take your ipod.

    Seriously, what they are saying is don't try to justify something wrong when you know its wrong just because your poor/selfish/lazy/etc.
    i quit trying to justify and now am saying im going to continue regardless of my lack of logic. insult me all you want, its really not gonna change my mind
    Epic trades for you!

    FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

    Offering:
    DWF:

    Looking for:

    Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

    All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

    In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

    Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    i quit trying to justify and now am saying im going to continue regardless of my lack of logic. insult me all you want, its really not gonna change my mind
    And you were accusing shinyunbreon362(or whatever his name is) of being stubborn and refusing to listen to logic..................
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Arcanum, Ohio
    Posts
    993

    Default

    Is ripping Youtube videos into mp3s considered pirating? Theres no monetary profit so I wasn't quite sure.
    - National Pokedex Completion Date- 3/12/13 (Thanks EpiK SauCe!)

    FC: 5129-0492-5213

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irock245 View Post
    And you were accusing shinyunbreon362(or whatever his name is) of being stubborn and refusing to listen to logic..................
    seriously mate, drop it and if you actually read my posts and his on that thread youd agree with me
    Epic trades for you!

    FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

    Offering:
    DWF:

    Looking for:

    Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

    All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

    In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

    Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in the souther. U.S.
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    i quit trying to justify and now am saying im going to continue regardless of my lack of logic. insult me all you want, its really not gonna change my mind
    I didn't insult you. I listed the reasons why people pirate music. Dude, try not to take things personally, this is the debate forum.

    Ambipom, yes. Youtube has their own copyright laws since being obtained by google that makes anything taken off without the author's consent piracy.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irock245 View Post
    And you were accusing shinyunbreon362(or whatever his name is) of being stubborn and refusing to listen to logic..................
    I noticed that too. Quite amusing really.

    Quote Originally Posted by AmbipomMaster View Post
    Is ripping Youtube videos into mp3s considered pirating? Theres no monetary profit so I wasn't quite sure.
    Yes and no. It's dependent on the position of the copyright holder(songs artist/record label) and if the use of the song fell under fair use(mixes and what not) which in that case it falls under the discretion of the video creator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    About 97% of these women posing for pornographic pictures are held at gunpoint, and it can be anywhere. The majority of the time is by force.
    Lulz wat?

    SC: 5414 - 8627 - 7288 Platinum: 2621 - 8560 - 3249

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmbipomMaster View Post
    Is ripping Youtube videos into mp3s considered pirating? Theres no monetary profit so I wasn't quite sure.
    I would say yeah, its public, and you can view it for free. I don't think it really matters where you view it from as long as you aren't selling it.
    Quote Originally Posted by irock245 View Post
    And you were accusing shinyunbreon362(or whatever his name is) of being stubborn and refusing to listen to logic..................
    Granted his logic sucks in here, my previous argument could back him up in certain circumstances. And if you viewed his posts in the other thread, they do make logical sense.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me or take a look at the information in my profile.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    seriously mate, drop it and if you actually read my posts and his on that thread youd agree with me
    lol

    I agree with you on that thread because his arguement was horrible and he couldn't even keep his composure, a sure sign of knowing you're wrong but don't want to admit it

    the only this you've proved on THIS thread is that you look like you have a double standard

    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    Granted his logic sucks in here, my previous argument could back him up in certain circumstances. And if you viewed his posts in the other thread, they do make logical sense.
    previous arguement on here? I haven't looked at the rest of this thread, but in the shitstorm called the other debate thread, yours do make more logical sense
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irock245 View Post
    lol

    I agree with you on that thread because his arguement was horrible and he couldn't even keep his composure, a sure sign of knowing you're wrong but don't want to admit it

    the only this you've proved on THIS thread is that you look like you have a double standard



    previous arguement on here? I haven't looked at the rest of this thread, but in the shitstorm called the other debate thread, yours do make more logical sense
    Look man, I get I was wrong to try justify pirating music. At this point you're just making yourself look dumb and deviating way off topic trying to bash me and ansem. Saying that I can't be logical on on subject and illogical on another is like saying it can't be sunny then rain. No ones perfect
    Epic trades for you!

    FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

    Offering:
    DWF:

    Looking for:

    Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

    All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

    In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

    Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voicerocker
    There is a simple answer to all of this. It is called "piracy" for a reason. Piracy is illegal, therefore, it is wrong.
    I agree with some other people that the whole 'Anything illegal is wrong' claim is frightening and stupid. You can say piracy is wrong. I won't argue. However, saying that everything legal is correct and everything illegal is wrong is just an ignorant, black and white view. Firstly, many states and countries have different laws. In some countries, it's legal to marry ten year-olds. So since it's legal, it's morally correct, right? Or do you mean the laws where only YOU live? How wonderfully simple-minded. Alcohol was illegal in America at one point, but it isn't now. Does that mean it was once wrong to do it, but now it's right? LOL. Please, think of a better argument next time.

    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624
    For all of you who try to justify pirating music, think of it like this; if you were a store owner, and someone just walked out with a candy bar without paying for it, would you be ok with that. Just laugh it off because you saw it. Now have that happen 40 billion times (this is only music btw). However, these people are justified because they don't have the money. >.>
    That is a terrible comparison that people need to stop using. Look at it this way: If I went into a store and used my magical cloning powers (hypothetical, of course :P) to CLONE a CD and then take the clone, the store owner would be left thinking, "Wow, that douche just got out of paying me for my CD by using his epic cloning powers. But I still have the CD, so I can sell it to someone less douchy. A douche like that probably wouldn't have paid me anyway." If, on the other hand, I take the CD itself, I am costing the guy money, because he'll have to replace the CD I stole. Stealing and costing someone money are two different things.

    Quote Originally Posted by miles0624
    Say it is not avilable in your region, you can always have it ordered.
    Stuff is not always available legally. Take video games, for example. Several years ago, after Paper Mario was out-of-print for the N64 and hadn't yet been announced for release on the Wii's Virtual Console, I wanted to own it. I had two choices: A) pay a ****-load of money for a second-hand copy, or B) download it online. Neither way would give the original creators of the game any money. In fact, A) would've allowed someone who had no part in making the game to profit off it, as he was selling the game for twice as much as what he paid for it. When Paper Mario came out for the VC, I happily bought it, but that wasn't until several years later. Are you saying I should've just gone without it when it was readily available online and downloading it literally didn't cost Nintendo a penny?

    Now, my thoughts: Piracy, while not stealing, is getting things for free. Is that wrong? Of course it is. People who work on something deserve to get paid for their time, labor and ability. You know what else is wrong? Charging $1 for a song or $20 for a movie, actors and producers getting millions upon millions of dollars a year when they didn't a few decades ago. There's making a profit, and then there's being greedy a-holes. I promise you all that if songs and movies were more reasonable prices, people would be far more willing to pay for them.

    While it's true that small and independent companies need to charge more for their stuff, since otherwise they'll make no profit, larger companies do not. The proof? The 3DS was originally $100 (AUD) more when it came out, but thanks to poor sales, it was lowered to what it is now, and Nintendo is obviously still making a profit. So, their idea for a reasonable, fair price is to profit over 100% of what it cost to make their product? Sounds to me like people who commit piracy aren't the only thieves...

    The whole 'If you don't like it, go without it' argument is valid enough, but if it's available online for free, why would you go without it? My basic point is that these multi-million dollar companies make no effort to be fair to and help the simple, poorer folk who enable them to become multi-million dollar in the first place, so why the hell should we help them? That's why those anti-piracy ads have started trying to claim that piracy hurts 'the simple people;' they know we don't give a damn about the rich: because the rich don't give a damn about us.

    Another point I'd like to make is that, recently, I tried to legally stream some eps of Dragon Ball Z Kai on the official site. Know what happened? I got a 'This content isn't available in your country' message. That annoyed me. Why should I give them them time of day when they don't make an effort to stream in my damn country?

    In short, if industries want to stop piracy, they need to do these things:

    A) Make all streaming content available in every country they want business from simultaneously. If they don't, people (like me) will get annoyed when they go to their site and find the content unavailable, and will turn to illegal alternatives.

    B) Stop being greedy and charging so much for their products. If they start making a fair profit, they'll still be well off. Sure, the actors and producers won't have enough money to buy a dozen mansions every year, but they'll have enough to buy one or two mansions a year, which is still far more than a lot of people can do.

    Of course, these things are unlikely ever to happen. So guess what? Piracy ain't gonna stop either, unless the government manages to introduce and pass another nazi-like SOPA bill.
    Last edited by BoxedLunch; 29th December 2012 at 7:37 AM.
    I'm looking to boost my Join Avenue. I'm offering free Starters (Bulbasaur through Oshawott) for Gen V games. Genders, Natures, nicknames and Pokerus are all requestable. I can also guarantee one perfect IV if you want a specific Nature, and two if you don't. All are legitimate (non-hacked, non-RNG and non-cloned). Please keep requests reasonable; I'm happy to trade you two or three Starters in one session, but anything more and I'll generally ask you to wait until the next day. PM me if you're interested, and I'll usually get back to you within 24 hours.

    Pokemon White 2 FC: 1336 0839 8807

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •