Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autism and the Internet

Default Autism and the Internet

As a Brony, I notice the accusations against the MLP fandom was that it's full of "autistic man-children." As one diagnosed with Aspergers, I cannot tell you how much this ignorance irritates me. Not because of them "dissing Bronies" but because they seem to legitimately believe that they actually know about autism when chances are they only see Chris Chan as a prime example and move on.

I could go on but I'd like to know what you all think about how the internet seems to be twisting the facts on Autism.

Edit: BTW, I do know that there are those who use their disabilities to try and get free passes in real life and on the web and how they're not helping either. Even so...
    Last edited by matt0044; 11th December 2012 at 8:52 PM.

It's not the internet, it's just general perception. I also suspect half of those people are just joking.

Well all I can say is that everyone is different. Before I started being active on forums, I pretty much thought that people with aspergers were the same in a way. But when I came on to the internet, I was pretty much wrong. I also have aspergers as well and I started seeing kids or adults with the same thing and they are pretty much 10 times more high functioning than I was. And I'm not alot like Chris Chan either. And I never met anyone else in real life who also had aspergers (Hey I've been in special classes with kids with disablities but none were the same as I was ) but I swear when I go on the internet, half the population has it. *shrugs*.

Then you also have those who self diagnose themselves....
    Last edited by はるひ; 11th December 2012 at 7:57 PM.
    岩根雅明=♡

Maybe if people (not just bronies) didn't use it as an excuse for their actions, less people would be discriminatory.

I know a couple of autistics, and they act NOTHING like the types of people I just mentioned.

Everyone on this forum SUPPOSEDLY has aspergers

And I'd believe old men that are obsessed with colorful ponies must definitely have some type of issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi. View Post

And I'd believe old men that are obsessed with colorful ponies must definitely have some type of issue.
    This post is great because I believe in all of this

Aspergers is not an excuse for piss poor behavior on any medium of communication. Period.

People on the Internet making uninformed and discriminatory comments? Never.

Well, the first thing I'd like to say is that Aspergers is actually not a defined term, as the patients that its discoverer, Hans Asperger, observed actually had classic high functional autism. So everyone with proper diagnosed Aspergers actually has high functioning autism.

Anyways, the reason why they say that is because one of the possible symptoms of most forms of autism is being antisocial (along with lots of other symptoms on psychological, social and physical levels). But yeah, pretty much none of them are serious nor know much about autism. Just like those self-diagnosed "aspies".
    Last edited by Drake Pokétrainer; 11th December 2012 at 8:16 PM.

I am indeed the one with the power of a god.
    The divine flames that I've absorbed
    will burn you to a crisp with nuclear energy and leave nothing behind!

I'm a certified Aspie (though now they're no longer recognizing Asperger's, which pisses me off, but whatever). So we can all make assumptions, but I've met quite a number of people with autism on here and in other places. Of course, I might be a little gullible due to not understanding sarcasm very well or having poor judgment at times...

Anyway, as an Aspie myself, the Internet feels pretty natural to me. I never got Internet until sometime in the late 90s/early 2000s with AT&T (like with everyone else), but I loved the Internet from when we first got it. I wasn't a total natural and knew where to go, but over time, much like everyone else who's surfed the Web for a long time, I've learned more about it, and how to use it. I don't use the Internet in a technical term, that's not what I'm majoring in, but I've been learning "the rules".

I haven't had any flack about having Asperger's on the Internet, but it just depends on how one uses the Web. We all have a voice on the Web, and as text is different from hearing the actual voice from the person, we all perceive things differently. We know there are people who don't mean to make jackasses out of themselves, but there are those who just don't know how to deal with it, or they believe what they're doing is right. Chris-chan happens to be one of those people who thought he could do whatever he wanted and not have any consequences. Well, there's such a thing as an audience on the Internet, and that audience didn't like what he was doing, and how he was handling it all. I'm sure he would've gotten the shaft whether he was autistic or not because of how the niche-based Sonichu was handled (and even that niche didn't like it).

So like everyone here has said, it's not about what you are diagnosed with, it's how you handle it with other people, which includes over cyberspace. Just because we can't see the person doesn't mean we can act however we want, and tell off people all we want (even though it's protected to an extent by the First Amendment here in the States). Like many people, Chris-chan learned this, if at all, the hard way.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 11th December 2012 at 8:19 PM.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Basically this.

As far as CWC goes, he'd probably be a piece of garbage even if he wasn't an aspie anyway.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

What I don't understand is, why do you even need to tell people you have asperger's/autism to begin with? Is this some kind of badge of honor? Are you trying to get people to feel sorry for you? I don't know much about the validity of whether autism is real or not. But, I don't think parading it around to get attention is going to be warmly received. I think the same would apply for other conditions as well.

Also, anybody who self diagnoses themselves needs to be punched in the face repeatedly.

Alpha Sapphire --> Arceus is the Alpha pokemon --> Arceus is a generation 4 pokemon --> Sinnoh confirmed!!

(Yeah, get used to it now, because this is what you're going to have to put up with for the next 5-7 years)

^ this.
    People just basically make up their own disorders that they don't really have because they want to be different ..when it's really just a big insult to people who actually do suffer from legit disorders.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrexus View Post
    What I don't understand is, why do you even need to tell people you have asperger's/autism to begin with? Is this some kind of badge of honor? Are you trying to get people to feel sorry for you? I don't know much about the validity of whether autism is real or not. But, I don't think parading it around to get attention is going to be warmly received. I think the same would apply for other conditions as well.

Also, anybody who self diagnoses themselves needs to be punched in the face repeatedly.
    I don't know why anyone would parade that they have a disability....

I haven't seen people do that per-say but I heard of those who do....
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post

I don't believe most of the people in the disorder threads that say they have aspergers. I'm sure more than half the people who say they do were never professionally diagnosed. And for real, every other post is someone saying they have aspergers. It kind of gets unbelievable after the 3rd post in a row. Maybe I'm wrong, but it really sounds silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post

They think that because they have a disability means they can get a free pass because IRL, some workplaces have protection for people with disability claims. Real life doesn't really transfer well onto the Internet, and vice versa unless you can make it work, which rarely happens, if at all. It's a bit insulting because not everyone with Asperger's/autism acts like that on the Web.

Though it's not uncommon to find someone who acts differently on the Web than at home/with their friends/at work/et cetera...
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Because they expect special treatment. Like -- and this might be controversial -- the people who state their sexuality on the Internet. The amount of instances where that matters are pretty few, too. Actually, that's the case with most of a person's traits.

I don't believe most of the people in the disorder threads that say they have aspergers. I'm sure more than half the people who say they do were never professionally diagnosed. And for real, every other post is someone saying they have aspergers. It kind of gets unbelievable after the 3rd post in a row. Maybe I'm wrong, but it really sounds silly.
    Most of the symptoms are shared with those of "being a teenager."
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Yes, I do insult people on the web by calling them "autistic." It does wonders. I don't really mind the insults people use on the Internet in general (against me or not) since, well, it comes with being on the Internet in the first place. I just grew thicker skin for it. I also agree with this:

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    It kind of gets unbelievable after the 3rd post in a row. Maybe I'm wrong, but it really sounds silly.
    Maybe they're brought by the giant Celebi banner?

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

I'm on the autistic spectrum, I've seen about 7 MLP episodes, but I make something of myself.

I don't like discrimination, but I can't say that there are some people that make half baked excuses.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Yes, I agree with you. A lot of those self diagnosed people know pretty much nothing about the symptoms. And it doesn't means that if you have one or just a few symptoms (for an example, you don't search contact with people, you can't maintain a conversation and you have trouble with change) that you have an autism spectrum disorder. Also, I can't the people who use it as an excuse for pretty much everything. I never wanted any special treatment or even any further diagnosis when they said I had an autism spectrum disorder. I never used it as an excuse and if I had difficulties because of it I tried everything to overcome those difficulties. And then some whiner uses to get a special treatment.

I am indeed the one with the power of a god.
    The divine flames that I've absorbed
    will burn you to a crisp with nuclear energy and leave nothing behind!

Please don't start. Just... don't. Take it up with the MLP thread in the Entertainment section if it bugs you but I'd rather keep this thread as underailed as possible.

And yeah, there are assholes who try to use disabilities as a free pass. Wish the internet came with a dope slap for them.

And I repeat, anybody old enough who likes Looney Tunes has an issue. I mean, just look at how many colors are in Porky Pig, and he doesn't wear pants.

Hoenn has disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    And yeah, there are assholes who try to use disabilities as a free pass. Wish the internet came with a dope slap for them.
    And I wish there was a way to block certain people from the Internet (because there are people out there who are unfit to use the Internet), but we can't always get what we want. Even then, there'd be that one asshole who'd abuse that dope slap, or complain about it enough that it gets banned or removed. Think the closest to a dope slap is having at least one online user chew the person out, and that can do justice enough at times.
    I survived Pupa.

I've been professionally diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (lest you believe I to be a filthy wannabe that leeches off the sympathy and forgiveness of others), but I've never really seen too many people using the phrase "autistic" as an insult, so I can't comment as to how common it is on the Internet.

For the record, I do not watch MLP, though plenty of my non-autistic friends do.

also, who is chris chan

Maybe an Internet forum about Pokemon might have a higher concentration of people with Asperger's syndrome/autism than real life, and said people would be more inclined to comment in a thread concerning their affliction than someone without it?

Nah, that's unbelievable and silly.

shiiiiit people are getting mad. yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    And I repeat, anybody old enough who likes Looney Tunes has an issue. I mean, just look at how many colors are in Porky Pig, and he doesn't wear pants.
    You're really trying to compare a classic show like Looney Tunes to MLP?

shiiiiit people are getting mad. yikes.

You're really trying to compare a classic show like Looney Tunes to MLP?
    Well, at lest MLP didn't have racist moments. Think about half of the WWII shorts Looney Tunes did.

Hoenn has disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast