Thread: Rate my Team! Team Rain Knights

Cool Rate my Team! Team Rain Knights

I am new to Serebii forums, but not to pokemon. I 've been a fan since red and blue! Just want to know anyone thoughts on my team and any suggestions they might have. Double battle in this order.

Uxie
    Nature: Docile (Wish it was better)
    Move Set: Trick Room, Rain Dance, Yawn, Psychic (for focus sash or lucky sp.def lower)
    252 def ev, 252 sp def ev, rest hp
    item:damp rock

Wash Rotom
    Nature: Calm
    Move Set: Protect, Hydro Pump, Hex, Thunder (definately open to suggestions for hex)
    252 sp def ev, 252 sp attack ev
    Item: electric gem

Dusknoir
    Nature: Gentle (again could be better)
    Move Set: will-o-wisp, Protect, Night Shade, Trick
    252 sp def, 252 def,
    item: choice scarf

Registeel
    Nature: Impish
    Move Set: Iron head, (again open to suggestions) Amnesia, Protect, Curse
    252 def, 252 sp def
    Item: leftovers

Scizor
    Nature: Brave (with technician)
    Move Set:Sword dance, bullet punch, double team, x-scissor
    120 def, 120 sp def, 252 atck
    Item: Occa Berry

Articuno
    Nature: Gentle (Could be better, its from xd)
    Move Set: Hurricane, Sheer cold, mind reader, Ice beam
    252 sp def, 120 def, 120 sp atck
    Item: Life Orb (could be better choice)

My whole idea is to start off is rain dance and trick room with uxie to protect again fast foes and damage for scizor and registeel. Registeel just tanks his stats until unbeatable, and scizor with two sword dance with bullet punch is just nasty. Then dusknoir with trick and at 100 battle he can always do 100 damage. Articuno I thought i'd test out because hurricane and 100 percent accuracy in rain and mind reader and sheer cold is good against any foe, minus sturdy.

Tyranitar RULES

Well, there's quite a bit I can say to this right off the bat... First off, we need descriptions. We need to know what all your Pokemon are meant to do. Second, this forum assumes playing on a simulator, not in-game. This is why we make such suggestions as Hidden Power types and specific Natures and EV spreads.

Anyway, this team is OU due to Scizor and Rotom-W. Because of this, it probably isn't a great idea to use Uxie, Dusknoir and Articuno. Especially Articuno. It's 4x Stealth Rock weak, which is very bad without Spin support, although some Pokemon can get away with it *cough*VOLCARONA*cough*

You have no Swift Swimmers, which means you can legally use DrizzleToed.

Politoed @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    Bold Nature
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Encore
    - Toxic

Standard Rain Politoed, SpD variant. This guy in some form should be on EVERY rain team that doesn't use Swift Swim. EVs maximize it's bulk and Leftovers provide constant recovery which is great. Scald has a nice Burn chance, further enhancing Politoed's bulk. Ice Beam hits a lot of OU threats for heavy damage even off this set (Salamence, Gliscor, Dragonite...) Encore is an awesome move in that it can trap Pokemon into repeating useless actions, like Stealth Rock. There's no reason to use SR more than once, so forcing them to forces switches. Toxic provides a crippling status condition that becomes increasingly dangerous as time goes on and forces lots of switches.

Rotom looks OK, try something like

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    Timid Nature
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Trick

Yeah, I know, no Thunder. It's an option over Trick, but.... Trick. It's so useful with a Scarf. Anyway, this is by far my favorite Rotom set. Volt Switch is an incredible move for Rotom, especially with a Scarf attached. Rotom scares so much away it's not even funny, and using Volt Switch when they switch gives you a huge advantage by letting you switch in a counter to their Rotom counter without losing a turn. Hydro Pump backed by STAB and the rain hits like a tank, and Hidden Power Ice handles Dragons, Gliscor and Grass-types that otherwise wall you. But you shouldn't really leave this in against a Grass-type anyway. Trick is awesome. You dump your Scarf on them and steal their item. It destroys walls. Absolutely destroys them. Chansey and Blissey become so much less effective when they can't change moves. Set-up sweepers are forced out (though beware they come back with a Spe boost. My opponents have let me capitalize on that many times after dumping a Scarf on my attacker. The best one was the mono-Dark team that tricked my Keldeo a Scarf, easy 6-0). It's just great. Use it. Please. You will thank me once you learn to use it well.

Dusknoir is alright, but not ideal. I'm less familiar with Rain Room than I am with straight Rain. But Ferrothorn would go here better in either case. If you end up with a RainRoom team, you can use offensive Ferro very effectively. If you go straight rain, you've got a great defensive Poke that every team ever hates to see (well.... Maybe not Mono Fire so much). I'll just give a defensive set here, although offensive sets can be found through Google. Smogon has a Choice Band set I've used to great effect in Trick Room.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    Impish Nature (Relaxed if using Gyro Ball over Power Whip)
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD (0 Spe IVs if using Gyro Ball over Power Whip)
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip / Gyro Ball

Here's your classic Ferrothorn. Spikes and Stealth Rock are your entry hazards, which are amazingly useful. Leech Seed supplements your Leftovers recovery and scares off certain Pokes. Power Whip vs Gyro Ball is preference, but I've always found Power Whip to be much better. It's got reliable power (Gyro Ball can be stronger, but it's power varies with the Spe difference, hence the Spe reducing Nature and 0 IVs if using it) and better coverage, and is only at a maximum 45 weaker after STAB. Leftovers are great, your main recovery and the reason Ferro can stick around like it can. It also loves the rain, which effectively cuts its Fire weakness in half.

Get rid of Registeel. Fighting is all over OU and Registeel will get mauled. As you have Ferro for your Steel needs, I'm gonna recommend a nasty little Ghost here: Jellicent. In the rain, Jellicent can either play its classic Special Wall set or a Specs offensive. As you have Politoed for walling, I'd go with Specs on Jellicent. It's very unexpected and potentially devastating to an unprepared team. And you still get excellent defensive typing and Water Absorb too.

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Water Absorb
    Modest Nature
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
    - Water Spout
    - Shadow Ball
    - Energy Ball
    - Ice Beam

Jellicent works with Specs for one main reason: It gets the only STAB Water Spout that's viable in OU. Think about this for a second. At full HP, that's a 150-Base Power move that gets STAB and a Rain boost backed by a whopping 442 SpA. Shadow Ball is an alternate STAB. Energy Ball wrecks Gastrodon and opposing Water-types (except Jellicents, Shadow Ball deals with them better). Ice Beam is awesome for Dragons and Gliscor, I've said that many times already.

To give you an idea of Specs Jellicent's massive power, some damage calculations:

Water Spout vs 4 HP / 252 SpD Calm Blissey: 40.81% - 48.29%
    Water Spout vs 112 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 79.18% - 93.31%
    Water Spout vs 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 68.54% - 81.13%
    Water Spout vs 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn: 47.44% - 55.97%
    Water Spout vs 0 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 56.04% - 65.94%
    Water Spout vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 121.70% - 143.16%
    Water Spout vs 28 HP / 252 SpD Calm Wobbuffet: 85.23% - 100.57%
    Water Spout vs 252 HP / 192 SpD Sassy Tyranitar (Sand): 75.74% - 89.60%
    Water Spout vs 252 HP / 92 SpD Ninetales (Sun): 78.86% - 93.14%
    Shadow Ball vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 70.88% - 84.07%
    Shadow Ball vs 220 HP / 0 SpD Celebi: 80.81% - 95.96%

All assume Rain and full HP unless stated otherwise.

Those are OBSCENE. (list from Smogon - stupid Mac can't run the calculators itself for some reason). I ran this in SAND with Hydro Pump over Water Spout and it was still obliterating creation.

Scizor is a good Poke, but use a Choiced set. The most popular (and effective, IMO) of these is:

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    Adamant Nature
    Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - U-Turn
    - Pursuit

This bug is a beast. BP is your main move, as it gets Priority and just plain hurts after STAB, Technician and CB are factored in. It can be very dangerous running too many Choiced Pokemon unless you really know what you're doing (I add that last bit only because I have seen wicked teams with 5 Choiced Pokemon reaching 1400+ on Pokemon Online's ladders. I try to avoid running too many myself, I usually go no more than 3 and rarely even that many). Superpower ruins Steels that come in to take the predicted BP and U-Turn is basically a Bug-type Physical Volt Switch. Same pros and cons. Pursuit traps things Scizor scares off for easy KOs and gains a nice Technician boost to boot.

Finally, Articuno... Bad. Sorry, but... Mind Reader + Sheer Cold barely ever gets off anyway. I'd suggest a Tornadus here, but that will give you 3 Pokemon weak to Electric (well, as far as my suggestions go anyway), with only 1 resistance. Same with Keldeo. So I'm hesitant. Jirachi gives you 3 Steels, although it really doesn't have much to fear from Fighting and Fire, especially with Rain up, and you have Rotom for Ground. So why not? I'll share a Rain favorite of mine from back in 4th Gen.

Jirachi @ Life Orb
    Trait: Serene Grace
    Timid Nature
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Calm Mind / Substitute
    - Wish / Substitute
    - Psyshock
    - Thunder

Back in 4th Gen, the main Rachi variants were SubWish and CalmWish. CalmSub didn't really come about until 5th (at least, in my experience this was the case), but I have heard excellent things about it. I prefer CalmWish myself, as it easily gets a Calm Mind off on Chansey or Blissey and if they stay in thinking they can Seismic Toss you to death you get a 6/6, essentially. Which OHKOs existence. Literally. Psyshock allows you to hit Special walls for great damage, Chansey and Blissey especially. Thunder can be Thunderbolt, but as you are using Rain, why not? Swift-Accuracy and great power + a 60% (I think Thunder is 30% normally....) chance to paralyze anything that survives is great. A commonly-seen alternative is a Specially-defensive ParaFlinch Rachi, but I will never in good conscience recommend it, as I have zero respect for hax whatsoever. Even though I used it on my Steel team. Solely because there was no other answer to MixApe...

I know this kinda removed the Trick Room aspect of the team, but I've always felt RainRoom was inferior to Rain. And yes, I have tried both extensively. Maybe I just suck with RainRoom though.
    Last edited by loco1234; 1st December 2012 at 9:20 PM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Articuno's stats are amazing, and it gets Roost, but it's typing is simply awful for a defensive Pokemon, so it's really unusable, unfortunately. I'm not going to rip on Uxie, that thing is actually amazing, but you're using it wrong. Besides, there's no reason not to use Politoed for permanent Rain.

Eviolite Dusclops literally outclasses Dusknoir in every way, and you actually have a Scarf on it. My God. I'm going to assume that was a slip-up, and you aren't seriously trying to lock yourself into Protect or Will O' Wisp. In fact, Dusknoir isn't carrying a single move that benefits from Choice Scarf, not to mention even max Speed Scarfed Dusknoir hits a not-so-blistering... What, 310? Which leaves him outsped by neutral natured base 100s who aren't carrying a Scarf.

Gengar trolls the **** out of your team right now, with only Scizor having a shot at taking him down. Magnezone + Genger = Good game, pretty much.

I see what you're trying to do here, mixing Trick Room and Rain. The problem is, most Rain attackers are too fast for Trick Room. I crossed Trick Room and Sand recently to surprising results. To be honest, I'd look into alternate options, like Sand, Hail, or even a purely-Rain based team without Trick Room. I simply can't think of any way to salvage this without tearing it down and rebuilding it.
    Last edited by Divine Retribution; 1st December 2012 at 5:32 AM.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

I am new to this, but what do you mean by OU? I know it is a format for online simulation, but the team I have I actually use on my game. You guys are talking about an online simulator right, like on smogon? Thank you for your suggestions. I honestly haven't got into competitive online like this til now so I hardly know the basics. How does the damage caculator work like you did with Jellicent? Anyway cool thanks.

There's an Ingame RMT section I think. Not suppose to minimod but don't really know what to do with not many mods active.

Quote Originally Posted by moonscourge View Post
    I am new to this, but what do you mean by OU? I know it is a format for online simulation, but the team I have I actually use on my game. You guys are talking about an online simulator right, like on smogon? Thank you for your suggestions. I honestly haven't got into competitive online like this til now so I hardly know the basics. How does the damage caculator work like you did with Jellicent? Anyway cool thanks.
    OU means OverUsed,Search it on Smogon

For the team,You need to give a decription on what each pokemon does for your team

Full rate later.
    Awesome Quotes!

(20:08:27) [CG]UgoPop: Hi Kyles
    (20:08:46) Kyles: u guys <3 flashing me
    (20:08:57) [CG]UgoPop: Yep.
    (20:09:13) Pokémon Offline: Kyles likes flashes though

Best Thing ive ever said

[CG]UgoPop: From his avatar,i can tell hes an old man on his period

Here is my double battle team again and my thought process behind each. This is on my pokemon white 2.

Uxie
    Nature: Docile
    Ability levitate
    Move Set: Trick Room, Rain Dance, Yawn, Psychic (for focus sash or lucky sp.def lower)
    252 def ev, 252 sp def ev, rest hp
    item:damp rock

With uxie depending on the foe I would either use trick room or rain dance. Obviously no rain dance against water or electric foes, and no trick room on rock, ground, or steel teams. Yawn was for 100 percent accuracy for sleep next turn. Then psychic for foes using the focus sash and if I could lower the special defense by chance. Damp rock is there to keep the rain pouring down.

Wash Rotom
    Nature: Calm
    Levitate
    Move Set: Protect, Hydro Pump, volt switch, Thunder
    252 sp def ev, 252 sp attack ev
    Item: electric gem
    Rotom really is my defensive STAB pokemon. Typically people don't run a lot of grass moves or pokemon, besides ferrothorn and that is really is only big weakness. I have protect so I can wait a turn for rain dance or trick room to come into play because this team leads off with rotom and uxie. Thunder gets 100 percent accuracy in the rain and hydro pump is a nasty STAB. Then volt switch if I see a foe I can take advantage of my registeel and scizor being able to load the stat changes.

Dusknoir
    Nature: Gentle
    Pressure
    Move Set: will-o-wisp, Protect, Night Shade, Trick
    252 sp def, 252 def,
    item: choice scarf
    First off I choice dusknoir because he is ghost type and he has pressure. Ghost type gives me a free switch when registeel is facing a fighting foe and pressure sucks the pp of other pokemon after choice scarfing them. With the choice scarf I get to scarf them with the raised speed and then trick room them so they get no benefit from getting the scarf. Protect again just to waste their pp and frustrate them. Typically really good moves dont have more than 5 pp so within three turns they are reduced to struggle and if they dont use a damaging attack then they are stuck using a stat raising move or whatever. Trick can be nasty. Night shade so that I can do 100 damage regardless of their stat changes and what not. Then will-o-wisp to burn them and lower their attack.

Registeel
    Nature: Impish
    Clear body
    Move Set: Iron head, Amnesia, Protect, Curse
    252 def, 252 sp def
    Item: leftovers
    Registeel is protected from fire moves with rain and he really is a matter of knowing your foe. With 150 base for def and sp def his stats can get ridiculously high with amnesia and curse. When I sent registeel into battle I analyze my foe to see if they are attack or sp attack dominate and what they are going to use then raise my def or sp def accordingly. Curse kills three birds with one stone because with trick room it is raising my speed in essence along with my attack and def. Protect is for raising my hp with leftovers once my stats are up to tanking. Then with iron head after cursing to death I can get them to possibly flinch and it is a steel STAB. Clear body also protects me from lowering my stats.

Scizor
    Nature: Brave (with technician)
    Move Set:Sword dance, bullet punch, superpower, u-turn
    120 def, 120 sp def, 252 atck
    Item: Occa Berry
    Scizor is an obvious choice for this team. Like I said earlier if I notice a pokemon that can't do squat against my scizor then I use volt switch to change to scizor then raise my attack with sword dance twice so then no foe can stand up to my bullet punch with technition, STAB, and first priority. Super power can be used against steel ineffective foes and u-turn for escapes if an unwanted foe comes out. Then finally occa berry to just offer scizor some more protection from his only weakness.

Articuno
    Nature: Gentle
    Pressure
    Move Set: Hurricane, Sheer cold, mind reader, Ice beam
    252 sp def, 120 def, 120 sp atck
    Item: Focus Sash
    The only thing I hate about articuno is that rock moves do tremendous damage to this frosty bird. Rock tends to be a common move to have on a pokemon because it is so effective against many types. Hurricane was for 100 percent accuracy in the rain and possible confusion along with STAB. With the focus sash and trick room (most of the time) I can land a guranteed sheer cold mind reader unless I happen to get unlucky with a status condition. Ice beam was an obvious choice for STAB and so many popular pokemon like gliscor, haxorus, salamence, and others are weak to ice. The main thought with articuno was to send it out last after scizor and registeel hopefully knocked out any big rock threats being that steel is good against rock. Then with articuno if a foe was hanging on with one defensive wall with stat chance or whatever I could definitely take em out with sheer cold.

TYRANITAR IS BA
    Last edited by moonscourge; 2nd December 2012 at 5:28 AM.

Sigh. First of all in competitive battling, OHKO moves are not allowed so 2nd gen OHKO spam doesn't work. If you plan to stick with Articuno, which I don't recommend but that's up to you, it's best set is probably SubStall set

Articuno @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
    Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
    Ability: Pressure
    - Roost
    - Toxic
    - Subsitute
    - Protect/Ice Beam.

I'm honestly going to stop here as not trying to be rude, but the team is just severely flawed. The concept is nice but the pieces are terrible and I hate to make people switch teams in such an enormous way so I'll just stop here.

Sorry, but you need to have detailed descriptions for each of your Pokemon. That paragraph at the end there just isn't enough info.