Thread: Double Battle Special Challenge: Team 1

Default Double Battle Special Challenge: Team 1

Hi everyone, this is my first team in the RMT Section, and well, first post overall. I'm working on a double team because me and some friends are developing some kind of tournament in our college. We randomned pokémon types, and I was the (somehow) lucky ones to be able to use a multi-type team. All of the other guys are only allowed to use a mono-type team. The bad side of the story? They can freely switch the pokémon in their party for other, but I'm stuck with a single party for the whole competition.

For the teambuilding process, my kept in mind that my double battle team was going to fight Water, Electric, Ice, Fire, Dragon and Normal-type pokémon, and that the following (spoilered) pokémon were banned. Also, Dark Void, Sky Drop+Gravity, Soul Dew and unreleased Hidden Abilities are banned.

TL;DR:: Multi-type party for fighting mono-type teams of Water, Electric, Ice, Fire, Dragon and Normal-type pokémon. The pokémon in the following spoiler are banned. Soul Dew, Dark Void and Sky Drop+Gravity are banned.

Spoiler:- Banned Pokémon:

For the first party, I wanted to use a weather Team. Sun totally came to my mind, so I had to begin with a Ninetales . Then, I need someone to abuse the sun, so Venusaur seemed like the best choice. Now, having 2 special attackers, I needed a good physical attacker, so Conkeldurr would fit here perfectly. Just because I like him, Gengar was a must have. I decided the last 2 slots would be for trolling my enemy, so Espeon and Rotom were the chosen ones for the job.

Thanks to feedback and trying the party out, it has been modified into a rain team (lol?) as it seems to fulfill its purpose better.

Spoiler:- Gengar:

Spoiler:- Rotom:

Spoiler:- Conkeldurr:

Spoiler:- Politoed:

Spoiler:- Toxicroak:

Spoiler:- Raikou:

Suggestions on how can this team be improved are always welcome. I am willing to replace any pokémon or move with another, as long as it mantains good synergy with the rest of the team. Please remember that this party is going to be against monotype parties of Water, Electric, Ice, Fire, Dragon or Normal-type pokémons, so any comments about how a pokémon that doesn't have any of those types walls or counters my team will be ignored.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Credits to Bulbapedia for the images, move lists, etc.
    Last edited by JnGnzlz; 1st December 2012 at 1:05 AM. Reason: Party modification.

I like the fact that you are making a double team. I've always wanted to do that once, but never did. I've read some articles about it though, so I know the common strategies and mechanics.
    Just a few things about your team though:
    In singles, you can't just use a pokemon 'for the lulz'. I suppose this is the case in doubles too.
    For example, besides ninetales Venusaur is the only pokemon that benefits from the sun. If you make a sun team, you want to have more pokemon who benefit from it.
    Furthermore, you can't just throw single battle pokemon together in a double team. They might be very good in singles, but that doesn't mean they're good in doubles too. You need to look for synergy. Another example: if you choose to use hydro pump on rotom-w, that doesn't really make much sense, because sun weakens water moves.
    the doubles metagame works different to the singles metagame. Magic bounce for example is useless, as everyone with a status move will aim at the partner of espeon, not the espeon itself. I'm sorry if this is harsh, but something will need to change if you want the team to work. For example try common double battle strategies like one pokemon with earthquake and a flying type/levitator. Use multi-hit moves like rock slide and discharge. try to avoid setting up moves like calm mind, as they most likely will not work in doubles. And lastly, give protect to more of your pokes. It's extremely handy in doubles.
        Spoiler:- DD stuff:

I dont know if making a sun team is a good idea, considering you are probably going to face water teams. I would take out gengar and add a dragon type like latios, if you face a dragon team you have nothing to fight them with. I dont see the point in running Espeon without screens so instead of Espeon i suggest a ground type for the electric teams like Dugtrio

I totally get your point about having more pokémon that benefit from the sun in the party, but having, lets say, 3 or 4 pokémon depending on the sun totally cripples the party if I happen to lose the weather war. Anyway, if proven to be better for the team, I can replace Ninetales with a Drizzle Politoed, and Venusaur's place could be taken by either Scizor, Toxicroak or a Swift Swim Kindra, the late being able to deal with the Dragon and Fire-type teams I will face. Or play with no weather at all.

Actually, the "lulz" on Rotom is forcing the enemy to struggle with their choices because of Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray. He's doing a pretty good job on the simulator, but sometimes I've felt that a Choice Scarf on him is needed because he has been outsped constantly.

I don't really don't know what to do with Espeon. I've got a Yawn, Wish, Protect and Psyshock variant in game, and he's always giving the enemy trouble. But no matter which variant I try on this team, he doesn't seem to be pulling its weight.

So, lets say I switch Ninetales for Politoed, Venusaur for Toxicroak and Espeon for Raikou...

Politoed @ ?
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hidden Power (Grass)
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald
    - Protect/Encore/Perish Song

Toxicroak @Black Sludge/Life Orb
    Ability: Dry Skin
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Sucker Punch/Drain Punch
    - Cross Chop
    - Ice Punch/ThunderPunch
    - Swords Dance/Earthquake

Raikou @ Air Balloon/Life Orb?
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Thunder
    - Hidden Power (Ground)
    - Protect
    - Rain Dance

What do you think?

I can't tell what kind of Toed that is to be honest, and that will change which item I recommend. If it's meant to be defensive use Leftovers. If it's meant to be offensive switch Scald to Hydro Pump and use Life Orb or a Choice item with a 4th attack.

I would recommend going Rain though, and for Toxicroak try a SubPunch set

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Dry Skin
    Adamant Nature
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Focus Punch
    - Substitute
    - Drain Punch
    - Sucker Punch

Drop a sub, start punching. Drain Punch is for when your HP gets lower (you'll be using Focus Punch most of the time) and Sucker Punch is somewhat-reliable priority which is always useful. It has a respectable 80 BP too.

Raikou, good. Life Orb. Rain Dance isn't really necessary though, you have Politoed and it's not like you'll see other weather bar that Fire team, which you should be able to take anyway. Maybe use Shadow Ball over it?

I'm not terribly familiar with Doubles though.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

I`m not really sure about the focus punch. In doubles, when the opponent sees you run subpunch, they`ll attack you with 2 pokes at the same time, still causing you to flinch. Again, I`m not very familiar with doubles, but I think that will be a problem

Very true.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Not running SubPunching set, sir, sorry. As they said, the substitute gets broken easily. However, I've been thinking of switching Toxicroak for a choice banded Technician Scizor, as I don't feel Toxicroak's been pulling it's weight either, and this party needs a revenge killer.

Raikou seems to be doing great. However this party needs more Earthquake from someone that can both abuse the rain and not get owned thanks to it. Help anyone?

Gastrodon and quagsire are both pokemon that are immune to water attacks and can fire of stab earthquakes. Gastrodon especially works well, because it also draws in water attacks aimed at your teammate. They both work very well with rotom-w, because of rotoms levitate and their immunity to rotoms discharge. Be careful for grass types though, especially ludicolo, which is common in doubles, benefits from the rain and KO`s gastrodon/quagsire with giga drain.

Tried the Gastrodon... I just put Earthquake on him. So OP, made me win 8 out of 10 matches at 4-0, and the 2 I lost were 1-0. I'll go research a little more on him, and put him in the party, replacing Toxicroak. Thank you very much for all the feedback.