Thread: Taste of the Sahara [OU Sand Stall]

Default Taste of the Sahara [OU Sand Stall]

I recently posted this team, but deleted the thread as I felt like it just wasn't a finished project with no pictures and not many in depth analysis. I quit competitive Pokemon with the introduction of 5th Gen and not wanting to spend the time to learn the new metagame. As I learned, full out stall didn't work out as well as I planned and somewhat saddened me as I love stall but needed to adapt to the current metagame by adding some offensive threats which has worked very well. I lurked around PO2 watching various battles and learning the metagame before putting together a competitive team. After various help from some friends, I came up with this. It's worked very well with a win % of about 70% although some recent hax has dropped me off the leaderboard in where I peaked at 31st on Showdown and 46th on PO2. This team can be set to thrive although it has some flaws in itself where I hope to get the advice of everyone here. If your criticism is harsh, I don't care, I'm not sensitive about it, just don't present mindless criticism with no points to back anything up. Anyways, I plan for this to be an in depth RMT so without wasting anymore time, here's the team!

Spoiler:- Team Building Process:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
    EVS: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)
    Ability: Sand Stream
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - Whirlwind
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off

Hippowdon here is my lead most of the time as it sets up weather pretty much all the time as it is the slowest weather lead except for Abomasnows that use 0 Speed IVs with a negative nature. Hippowdon sets up rocks very reliably while taking physical hits like an absolute champ. He's one of the premier physical walls in the tier being able to take a plethora of common boosted moves, to various physical super effective hits like SD Luke's Ice Punch at +2, CB Terrakion meant to be one of the better physical wallbreakers. Whirlwind allows me to phaze setup Pokemon such as various DD Dragons like Dragonite or Salamence that think they can just setup in it's face. Earthquake is a reliable, strong STAB move coming off an underestimated 108 Base Attack that can deal heavy damage to Terrakion that may for some reason think they can break through with Close Combat just to get KOed in return. I didn't opt for other coverage moves like Ice Fang or Toxic as my team somewhat handles the threats hit SE by Ice Fang well and can take defensive Pokemon pretty well and the coverage options aren't as reliable as Earthquake. I may however opt to use Toxic as Taunt isn't as popular anymore with the lack of dedicated leads from DPP like Aerodactyl, Azelf, etc. besides weather leads. Slack Off provides reliable recovery and increases the longevity of the sand hippo's life and allows it to continue to take the physical barrage it'll face throughout the match. To demonstrate Hippowdon's physical bulk, here are some calculations factoring Leftovers:

• +252 Atk LO Salamence Outrage = 43-51% Damage (3HKO)
    • 252 Atk LO +2 Lucario Ice Punch = 58-68% Damage (2HKO)
    • 252 Atk Scarf Terrakion Close Combat = 32-38% Damage (4HKO)
    • +252 Atk CB Haxorus Outrage = 54-68% Damage (2HKO)
    • +252 Atk Iron Fist LO Conkeldurr Ice Punch = 44-53% Damage (2% chance to 2HKO)

As you can see, Hippowdon is extremely bulky when it comes to taking physical hits, even taking SE hits well. This alone shows it's sheer bulk in taking physical hits like an absolute champ. Not many physical hits will be able to break through this extremely bulky hippo.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpA / 188 SpD
    Nature: Sassy (+SpD, -Spe)
    Ability: Sand Stream
    - Ice Beam
    - Pursuit
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

Tyranitar is known as a notoriously powerful hitter but not many know it's special bulk under sand. Sand boosts any Rock type Pokemon's SpD by 1.5x making Tyranitar reach special bulk in the levels of Cresselia, regarded as one of the best mixed walls in the game, with over 400 HP and SpD. This set allows it to catch many of it's switch ins extremely hard serving as sort of a utility set, like a swiss army knife taking out various threats with the appropriate coverage move, even OHKOing most with entry hazards. Ice Beam allows it to catch Landorus or genie on the switch extremely hard, OHKOing Landorus and it's alternate form all the time along with Gliscor that seems to switch in constantly trying to sponge a EQ/Superpower or various other moves only to take an Ice Beam to the face. Pursuit adds to the utility set here allowing it to checkmate threats like Lati@s, Espeon, and others. Earthquake primarily takes out other Steel types and Heatran particularly thinking it can land an easy KO with Earth Power. Fire Blast demolishes opposing Forretress and Ferrothorns along with Scizors on the switch for an OHKO. I opted for EQ over Superpower as Superpower is generally only useful on Blissey and Chansey but I haven't seen many of them as of late and Superpower just doesn't do enough damage to Heatran and the stat drops really turn it off. I'm thinking about putting an Expert Belt instead of Leftovers to secure these KOs but Tyranitar needs the extra healing so it can come in and take special hits a bit more. To demonstrate it's amazing Special bulk, here's some stats assuming Leftovers recovery and Sand:

Celebi @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
    Nature: Calm (+SpA, -Atk)
    Ability: Natural Cure
    - Leech Seed
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power Fire
    - Recover

Celebi here, man, what a life saver. It's my defensive pivot and my defensive answer to many offensive threats. It's typing is an absolute godsend for this team complimenting the team greatly taking Fighting moves and Water moves that plague members of the team. I originally had a problem with TechniLoom and Rain teams and Celebi was the perfect check for both of these. It resists Breloom's STAB attacks and also resists STAB Water attacks from Rain teams. It's special bulk is great, taking boosted STAB Hydro Pumps like a champ and even fails to get 2HKO'd. It can shrug off weak Ice Beams from the likes of Politoed and recovers them off like nothing happened. Leech Seed provides recovery to itself and also the likes of Tyranitar and Forretress, very beneficial to both as they repeatedly take hits throughout the battle. Giga Drain is used as ANOTHER way to recover some health as it'll repeatedly take hits so it'll need all the health it can get. Hidden Power Fire let's me hit Scizor on the switch very hard and also the Ferrothorns and Forretress' that seem to come in constantly thinking they can lay some hazard only to get toasted by an HP Fire. Recover allows a reliable form of recovery that prolongs the life of this leaf fairy greatly as the life or death of Celebi is basically the difference between a win and a loss. I've been thinking about putting Heal Bell over Leech Seed as the team tends to be susceptible to random Toxics on my weather-setters and just hampers their ability to sponge hits.

Heatran @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
    Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
    Ability: Flash Fire
    - Toxic
    - Lava Plume
    - Protect
    - Roar

I'm considering changing this into a Scarf or Specs set as I think the extra power is needed and I'm not really sure about a set for Heatran at the moment. Anyways, Heatran + Celebi form a great defensive duo as I stated earlier forming the great CeleTran duo covering each others weaknesses extremely well and having great overall synergy with each other. It's a standard SpDTran and my team covers special threats nicely with my CeleTran duo along with Tyranitar leaving Hippowdon to shoulder the physical load, something it's capable of doing however. Lava Plume allows me to burn incoming physical attackers like various dragons that may come into a switch, Terrakion, etc. It's a reliable STAB move nonetheless. Toxic allows me to break through some walls that the team may have trouble with such as Gastrodon if Celebi is ousted. Protect allows me to rack up Toxic + Sandstorm damage as well as scouting potential moves from opposing mons. Roar allows me to phaze threats that Hippowdon cannot such as a boosted Volcorana for example. Heatran here is the most expendable of the team as it just doesn't seem to fit in that well. I'm thinking about using Landorus-T to help Hippowdon out and take a bit off the load of Hippowdon to take some physical hits. It can also take U-turns and VoltSwitchs that seem to run rampant against this team.

Forretress @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)
    Ability: Sturdy
    - Payback
    - Volt Switch
    - Spikes
    - Rapid Spin

Forretress' main objective is to spin away hazards that plague stall teams and throw up some spikes if possible. He's also a great thing to get slapped around by physical hits as I just throw him out there if I see a physical attacker but don't know what's going to be used to safely switch in the appropriate check. I opted for a Relaxed nature instead of an Impish one despite not using Gyro Ball because I didn't want to lower Volt Switch's minimal damage even more as it does somewhat decent damage turning some 2HKOs to OHKOs for Stoutland. Volt Switch allows me to sponge a hit for an opponent while holding some momentum allowing me to switch to the appropriate check. I'm considering swapping the item to Leftovers as I don't see too many Magnezone's anymore and most of the time I do, it's a SubCharge variant where I can just Volt out of it. Payback is for ghosts predicting a Rapid Spin only to take pretty hefty damage, OHKOing 0/0 Gengar factoring in SR damage and Sand. Spikes is just spikes, allowing another form of residual damage. I'm about to opt for Gyro Ball over Payback as it still deals heavy damage to Gengar while being able to hit other threats for more damage than Payback can like Kyurem-B and such.

Stoutland @ Choice Band
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    Ability: Sand Rush
    - Return
    - Wild Charge
    - Superpower
    - Crunch

Stoutland here, gosh, is basically the MVP of the team by far. He basically nets me 3-4+ kills a match and just hits insanely hard for people not really expecting it. He functions as an awesome Revenge killer but also a great late-game sweeper when the opponents Pokemon are just weakened, he can spam STAB Returns doing heavy damage, even to Pokemon who resist it. It's physical movepool is not that great, but it's just enough for it to have great coverage. Return is a reliable STAB option that I use more often then not as it's sheer power is just incredible when you slap on a CB. Wild Charge handles those bulky waters and also OHKOs Tentacruel which is vital on this team as he seems to be the most popular spinner in OU currently. Superpower takes out those Steel and Rock types, namely Terrakion very hard. It also allows me to take out Ferrothorn early in the game that comes in just about all the time this is on the field thinking it can take a Return only to be OHKO'd by Superpower. Crunch is just another coverage move that allows it to hit threats like Celebi and others hard.

Spoiler:- Logs:

Spoiler:- Threat List:

Spoiler:- Importable:

Last edited by Atrocious; 22nd February 2013 at 1:10 AM. Reason: Updated

Really all I have to say is Genesect got bumped up to Ubers, thankfully (although my Steel team is crying...) so you don't really need a check to it unless you plan on playing up with this.

Great team bro!
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Bump. Gosh, gonna stop rating >.>

For our heatran I recommend scarf seeing your trying to go with a offensive set. I see heatran with a more defensive set but, this is your team so it's your choice to switch it or not. Specs would work well to but, it's either speed or power. I would go with speed but, again this is your team and your choices.

Omega - 1/1/13

I would of never guessed T-Tar and Hippo. Too much defense. But that is what makes it good! Also, I do believe Heatran should be scarfed. Maybe I coulld surprise Mamo(Considering that thing is getting more usage). That's about it.
    Special thanks to Sworn Metalhead for the epic banner.

Meh, not really digging Stoutland.. it just amplifies the overwhelming weakness towards fighting. You know? the most common offensive type in OU? And it just DIES from any STAB special attack.
    And It's virtually useless outside the sandstorm, so you really cannot counter/revenge something like a politoed without taking a crunching ice beam/hydro pump to the face. Yes Celebi takes the hydro pump fine but Ice beam hurts, even if it's the bulky type.

And you absolutely need a revenge killer. Rain teams will cause you a lot of trouble by just spamming politoed switches and the only way to counter them will be to switch in Tyranitar/Hippodown and they both take massive damage from Politoed.

IMO Landorus is a better Option. Either Forme. I personally prefer the Incarnate form. With Sand Force and Choice scarf you have a solid revenge killer in your hands. The Therian Forme is better for defense but then again the 4x ice weakness coupled with the slow speed really doesn't do much for your team. And you also get that much needed fighting type resistance on the team making for great synergy. Not to mention you aren't naked outside the sand and can revenge kill all kinds of crap in sun teams. And in the sand, you're just plain deadly Sand force guarantees you a near perfect sweep with the near perfect Edge/Quake combo..
    I don't know, it just counters so many things your team is weak to...

Landorus-I@Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    252 Atk / 252 Spe

Stone Edge
    Earthquake
    U-Turn
    Superpower/HP ice...

Needless to say Superpower for steels and the pink blobs, HP ice checks annoying counters like Gliscor...
    Oh and did I mention? It's magic base 101 speed. This allows you to OHKO fast dragons even if they manage to grab a Dragon Dance Boost. (psst.. Salamence psst)

Yes I know this is a stall team. But even the best stall team needs a revengekiller, late game sweeper...

EDIT: Replays of the team in action will be appreciated. Maybe stoutland just...works with correct prediction maybe you can make it work... but it's bad synergy and offence wise IMHO.
    Last edited by Soul_Fly; 5th December 2012 at 5:14 PM.
    Feel Free to Engage a certain Soul_Fly on Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown!
    You'll likely end up getting free ladder points due to my constant tendency to test out gimmicky teams.

LAWL. Lucario RULEZZ

Stoutland actually out speeds non-scarfed Politoad's and returning back an OHKO with Volt Switch with some residual damage to 252/0 Toads. Will post replays tomorrow, don't mind swapping out Stoutland.

Bump. With the ousting of Tornadus-T which was a huge threat to the team, I think this is viable again.

Bump one last time. not sure if allowed but if not, just lock. Updated with Threat list and will add onto it as I get the time. Will begin to add logs.

Every team I have looked at lately looks really mix ape to me lately :/

So for starters, this is offensive stall, I have enough experience to know that offensive stall really enjoys having a spin blocker. Next; your really fighting weak ignoring Celebi and as I said, Infernape looks like it kind of wrecks your team (besides Stoutland in sand). For these reasons I really feel like Jellicent would be a good choice for your team, especially a set using water absorb as half your team is water weak. I'm not entirely sure what you could/should put Jellicent over but I think it definitely deserves a spot on your team. I'm thinking a set like this;

Jellicent @ leftovers
    Water absorb
    Bold
    248 hp/ 216 def/ 44 spd
    Scald
    Night shade/ will o wisp
    Recover
    Taunt

Besides spin blocking, this set is also good for taking on other walls/ physical set up sweepers. It can take on walls by taunting and following up with burning them and recover spamming (this also works for physical set up sweepers) or taunting followed by night shade spam. Taunt is a great utility move, stopping all sorts of threats (walls, set up sweepers, hazard setters, etc.). Recover is recovery so not much needs to be said. Scald is a nice stab that can also burn targets which is useful for Jellicent tanking physical hits. Lastly choosing between night shade and will o wisp is essentially choosing between having reliable damage or a more reliable way of burning stuff

And yes, I did say that a wall can be a good wall breaker. When you use stall enough you find out it actually works

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

Thanks, I'll try Jellicent out over Heatran as it can take U-Turns aswell. I know walls can be good stallbreakers with the right moveset as I've played stall since phew early DPP days and I don't see many walls nowadays or I would have made Heatran more of a Stallbreaker role. Anyways I do like the Jellicent idea so I will swap it out. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrocious View Post
    Stoutland actually out speeds non-scarfed Politoad's and returning back an OHKO with Volt Switch with some residual damage to 252/0 Toads. Will post replays tomorrow, don't mind swapping out Stoutland.
    Stoutland doesn't learn Volt Switch. Your Soutland also doesn't learn Volt Tackle. You were probably talking about Wild Charge. Also fighting types can rape the team, and only Hippowdown can stop them. What's more, powerful sun sweepers like Venusaur and Infernape can easily crush Hippowdown and Tyrannitar with Giga Drain and Close Combat, respectively. Stoutland and Heatran are killed by Close Combat from Infernape, Celebi hates U-Turns from it, and Forretress isn't going to shrug off a Fire Blast or a Flare Blitz. In fact, for some odd reason, sun teams can have a field day with this team. They don't even need the sun until Stoutland hits the field. Common Chlorophyll abusers such as Lilligant and Venusaur tear apart Hippodown like it is paper. Tyrannitar loses to Close Combat from Infernape, Superpower from Darmanitan, and Brick Break from Victini, and even Bug Buzz from Volcarona will do nasty damage. Sure, you have Heatran, but most sun teams have Dugtrio. Once you lose both weather starters, it's game over. Venusaur sweeps this team after one growth boost, and most Fire types smash the rest of the team apart. I'm not even going to go to rain or hail teams.

First things first, Stoutland is NU. That's a huge drop, seeing that it was UU at the beginning of gen 5. I recommend using Sandslash over Stoutland. Sandslash has Rapid Spin, Swords Dance, and a coveted EdgeQuake coverage (sets will be posted at the end of this rate). What's more, since Sandslash has Rapid Spin, you won't have to use Forretress as your rapid spinner, leaving another space open for a rain or sun counter. Oh yeah, and Sandslash is a slightly worse version of Excadrill.

Heatran is okay, just run Earth Power over one of its other moves so you can actually do something to sun teams.

Celebi is good.

Stealth Rock>Ice Beam on Tyrannitar, as Fire Blast already does a number on most Gliscor, and you need hazards somewhere.

I would recommend SubToxic Gliscor over Hippowdon, especially when you can stall out certain threats the other team would rather not face. It also has better healing and a similar bulk to the hippo, and can EQ Lucario before he gets an Ice Punch off.

If you do use Sandslash over Stoutland, then Dragonwari's Jellicent could work over it. You would also get a nice Water/Fire/Grass core going.

Here are the sets:

Sandslash @ Life Orb/Lum Berry/Leftovers
    Ability- Sand Rush
    Adamant Nature. 252 Atk, 252 spd, 4 def
    Swords Dance
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake
    Rapid Spin

Set up a Swords Dance boost after you win the weather war, and have a field day with Sandslash and it's excellent attack, good speed in sand, and EdgeQuake coverage.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Ability- Poison Heal
    Impish Nature. 252 HP, 184 def, 72 spd
    Earthquake/Sand Tomb
    Substitute
    Toxic
    Protect

Substitute and Toxic make up SubToxic, obviously. Protect allows you to stall for poison damage. Sand Tomb and Earthquake prevent you from being Taunt Bait, but have different purposes. Sand Tomb pratically guarantees toxic-stalled-to-death to whatever you just Toxiced. On the other hand, Earthquake nails Heatran and other pesky steel types.

Hope this helps.
    For trade:
    Legendaries- Shiny rash , Shiny relaxed , Sassy , , 2 (one docile, one lax), , , (DW event), , ,

DW(non-female)- ,

DW females-

Friend Codes:
    White- 2537 7184 5779

Name: Nike
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    With enough skill, you can put any pokemon here

Volt Tackle? What the heck am I thinking lol. Will fix those typos.

I prefer not to swap out Tyranitar or Hippowdon as that's basically what the team is based off of.

From my experiences facing Sun teams, I fare pretty well unless I predict wrong as in the case of Crazy Russian's LS Based team where he basically out predicted me and well the rest is history. Sun teams do indeed need Sun in order to break through as Stoutland usually just picks off weakened threats from Sun teams and nothing on a Sun team can take a Banded Return aside from Heatran and Forretress that seem to be on them and Heatran actually gets 2HKOd by Return with rocks and no leftovers recovery. I do admit the margin for error against sun teams is very slim and one misstep basically leads to a gg. I will try some of the suggestions above so basically next is:

Testing:

Sandslash > Stoutland
    Jellicent > Forretress

I'm also considering Landorus-T over Heatran, thoughts?

Cool RMT man, though you wrote a lot >.<, reminds me of an essay from middle school xD

Anyways I see that Lucario with Swords Dance and Faster Swords Dance Scizor could really crush this team, since many SD Scizors are optimized to outspeed heatran and ko with superpower whilst celebis hp fire is very weak with no spA investment, stoutland is a good check but must watch out for +2 bullet punches and extremespeeds. ttar seems like this teams weakest member so i think the solution would be to maybe swap him out for a jellicent, he counters these 2 pokemon and brings more defensive presence, he is also a good counter to keldeo, which is one of the most broken pokemons in the metagame imo

SDLuke can actually be taken by Hippowdon. Itcan take any boosted attack with a sizable amount of HP left and EQ back for the KO.

I have seen people use HP Fire on Forretress and I'm curious as I'm lookin into using it to try and fend off opposing hazard setters and Scizor.

As I said before, I will not replace Hippowdon or Tyranitar as they are the centerpieces of the team.

I must say, do Scizors actually run speed to outrun Heatran? I thought they just max attack, a few speed EVs then HP unless it's a scarf set, but I could be wrong.

Scizor usually maxed Atk, 248 HP and rest into SpD.

I am brand new to competitive, and i had NO idea that things got this deep while creating teams. I thought it was really just getting some amazing Pokemon. I would really like to learn a bit from you sometime if I could, seriously. This goes very deep and is very intricate.

I don't think Choice Band Scizor runs enough speed EVs to outspeed standard Heatran. I mean, it's 65 to 77. Scizor isn't outspeeding with only 8 EVs in speed. Also, I approve of your consideration of Jellicent over Forretress and Sandslash over Stoutland. Good luck.
    For trade:
    Legendaries- Shiny rash , Shiny relaxed , Sassy , , 2 (one docile, one lax), , , (DW event), , ,

DW(non-female)- ,

DW females-

Friend Codes:
    White- 2537 7184 5779

Name: Nike
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    With enough skill, you can put any pokemon here

Alright, thanks for your help guys.