Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgia

Default Nostalgia

A term most of us encounter when thinking of Pokemon, nostalgia. How big of a role does it play when we think back to the older games and how they were "better". Were they better? Or is it just the nostalgia? I remember back in the day as a young kid, maybe 7 years old, and reading through my Pokemon Gold and Silver walkthrough guide which I had gotten from a yard sale. I was always a huge fan of the trading card game (I just collected them), and I'm pretty sure I was playing Sapphire at the time. Just reading through the entire Pokedex and being amazed at all of the unique and interesting Pokemon really had an effect on me as a child, and probably influenced who I am today.

My point it, if let's say for example Black and White 2 came out 10 years ago, do you think it would have had as big of an impact as what you were actually playing 10 years ago?

TL;DR Did the games change, or did we?

Though I think we all know that we haven't changed enough to not still love these games.

The older games are just nostalgia, fun to play for a little. Now after I try to play them while I usually play on my Black 2 I'll think like: Oh my god I'm so slow, Oh look a glitch lets abuse it.

Either way, everything is beter in the new gen.

~ | Latest shiny: Platinum (246 Softresets) | ~

[IMG]http://i39.*******.com/14l7n1l.png[/IMG]

~ | Competitive Breeder | Shiny Hunter | Competitive battler | ~

~ | Friendscode X & Y: 3196-4085-3103 | ~

~ | Living Pokédex: 718/721 | ~

Comment no longer desired.
    Last edited by Hilda; 11th December 2012 at 2:07 PM.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

I like all gens! Granted I have favorites and least favorites, but I love all of them. The only thing is it's very hard to go back to older gens and enjoy them as much as you did thanks to improved mechanics, graphics, a bigger roster of pokemon etc.

I went back to the original Silver once and sat there thinking....I wish I could have a Gliscor after I caught a Gligar, but the fact remains I like all the gens as they all bring something to the table.

Nostalgia doesn't really play a part in it, as I had pretty much an equal amount of fun with every game. I'm a Pokemon fan at the end of the day and probably will be 10 years from now (when I'm 35 yes!) and will look back on Black/White 2 with as much fondness as when I first played Blue in 1999.

My shiny pokemon: as well as shiny Snivy I got from some randomer japanese guy over the GTS
    Y Friend Code 2793-1497-1708
    Friend Safari: Poison, Gloom, Muk and Garbodor!

Play Ocarina Of Time. Get to Ganon. Replace Ganon with Emboar and tell me he doesn't fit right in? The truth is out, Ganon has escaped, and is now in the form of a Pokemon!!!

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by Frost Mage View Post
    How big of a role does it play when we think back to the older games and how they were "better". Were they better? Or is it just the nostalgia?
    Some people have a hard time setting apart the value of the game per se with their experience with said game. And since they enjoyed the older games more because of different reasons (childhood, friends, excitement of trying something new and different) they think the games were better, which I think it's a fallacy. It's not my case, though. As much as I treasure my childhood memories playing the first two gens (and believe me, I'm really the nostalgic type), I believe that the games improved over the years, and even if I didn't enjoy some of them as much, I still appreciate the innovations (natures, abilities, ph/sp split) and variety (more species to choose from, more attacks, etc.) they brought over, so I wouldn't dare to say the old ones were better.

My point it, if let's say for example Black and White 2 came out 10 years ago, do you think it would have had as big of an impact as what you were actually playing 10 years ago?
    No doubt about it. And I'm sure the kids of today will be remembering with nostalgia these games in 10 years time.

TL;DR Did the games change, or did we?
    We changed, but the games, fortunately, didn't change as much. Nowadays, in the gaming industry, we are used to see how many of the series we were fond of lost their identity, many others stopped being made because of poor sales or whatever reason. I'm glad Pokémon is still going on, with improvements and tweaks but without corrupting its essence.
        Spoiler:- Signature: 3DS FC & in-game character:

All Pokémon are amazing, and BW was more kind to the older gens than DP. Pokémon is actually so similar. It's just that most of the newer fans have different ideas and thoughts about it and some older fans connect the newer Pokemon with most of those newer fans.

Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

I know some people are going to complain about genwunners at some point, so I may as well make the point here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with nostalgia. The only problem with genwunners is that they try and force their opinion on you, as if it's fact.

I'll admit, even I get nostalgia sometimes.

All gens have Pokemon I like; some gens more than others but I don't think GameFreak has to stop just cause some nostalgia whiners hate gen 5. Gamefreak can make new Pokemon for gen 6, 7 or till they feel like stopping.

Better? of course the new gens are "better". I remember clearly playing Red and Blue back when I was like ten or eleven, they were great, but I have to admit I probably wouldn't like them as much now. Not that I wouldn't love to play them though.

I think nostalgia plays a big part with the older games, but the game mechanics for the old games haven't changed, even if the newer games got better gameplay and better mechanics. Anytime you'll pick up a Red version, or a Crystal version, you're going to get the same thing no matter how many times you erase the save file. I'd say that the challenges are pretty challenging due to some limitations such as no EVs until the second generation, no way of rechallenging trainers except the Elite Four in R/B/Y so most of the time you're level grinding to level 100, unless you have another GameBoy and a link cable you can't complete your PokéDex, the list goes on. But being older now, you know what to do, and know how to challenge yourself to make it a little more fresh.

Either way you approach it, it doesn't take away the fact the games are still fun to play to this day. Yeah, the graphics aren't impressive now, but for the time it was, and you have to give it credit for that.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

I liked greens sprites :>
    Pokemon Y
    ---------------------------------------------
    Shinies: x2

KalosShine:
    Pumpkaboo
    Skrelp

Flawless:
    Friend code Black 2 : 2151-6418-9614
    Friend code Y: 3239-2288-6738
    Time Zone - GMT+1

Well... I enjoyed every game of every generation and like all Pokemon. I also don't see anything getting worse, but the opposite, it seems to me like gamefreak are trying harder to have more interesting inspirations and concepts etc.
    I dont feel any more nostalgic about gen 1 than I feel about gen 5. Sure the feelings are different, but both are very positive.
    Im confident that being a passionate fakemon artists helps me see through this.

It saddens me when I usually see so many people holding onto their nostalgia and then criticizing any games/gens outside that for random things that could be just as easily applied to their nostalgic favourites.

I mean, its very clear that they don't see the same flaws in their favourites due to nostalgia, resulting from the fact that they got introduced to their favourite gen as kids, when they didn't have expectations. (Because they vary, with now the youngest such group still being the gen 3 lovers, even though gen 3 was looked down upon exactly the same as gen 5 is now when it was released)

Every new gen is just as great if you give it a chance. And if you dragged someone unfamiliar with the franchise into a room with all pokemon pictures in random order, and let them pick out the interesting, the worst etc, I assure you the earliest gens would not be doing the best and the results being very very mixed bags.

So its not that nostalgia makes the old games better, but it prevents people to enjoy the new ones just as much, because its guaranteed to be different than whats already there, even if they make direct counterparts and reused concepts LOL.

Yes, if you magically switched gen1 and gen5 pokemon designs, or any other 2 generations, people would behave the same, calling Samurott classic, and resort to the "theyre running out of ideas" argument when presented with Blastoise etc.
    Last edited by Mitja; 11th December 2012 at 3:31 PM.

Nostalgia is yucky and causes blindness. I tend to avoid it.

Also Mitja I love your post.
    FERROTHORN / ROCKY HELMET OTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

That right there is the perfect answer

i agree with everything (and my 1st gen was gen 3 as im only 15 now)
    My current black/white team lowest level 75 but havent really bothered that much with natures, eggs, evs etc

I was a much more casual fan of Gen I and I never played Gen II at all outside of Pokemon Stadium II. So I got back into Pokemon at the tail end of Gen 3 and got Fire Red, and then got D/P on release day.

Shortly after finishing the E4 in Diamond, I decided to go back and actually try to fully play through a Gen I game, choosing Yellow as the one since it meant Pikachu would be a starter and not a low encounter in Viridian Forest, and I'd be able to get all the starters.

After the nostalgia wears off, irritation sets in. Everything is slow, THERE IS NO RUNNING SHOES so you are WALKING from Pallet until you get the bike!

Then I gave up in frustration.

If I want a "nostalgia kick", I'll stick with HGSS or FRLG. Hell, Pokemon itself gives me a nostalgia kick.

But the Gen I and Gen II games were good for their times, but are basically unplayable to me nowadays now that they have more modern re-makes in FRLG and HGSS.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    I know some people are going to complain about genwunners at some point, so I may as well make the point here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with nostalgia. The only problem with genwunners is that they try and force their opinion on you, as if it's fact.

I'll admit, even I get nostalgia sometimes.
    The number of actual genwunners is made up by the newgenners anyway.
    I literally got called a genwunner for saying that I like the music of the first gen games.

It has become that you can't say anything good about the older gens, because the newgenners are waiting prey.
    Sure, genwunners do exist, but newgenners are so much more in number.

It really depends on how you define "better". If the definition is to be taken as "which game was most enjoyable", then there is no correct answer. There is only the correct answer for you.
    Nostalgia is a very good thing. In fact, its a sign that you are hooked on a game, tv series, etc and that's what Pokemon is supposed to do.

Another definition could be which game(s) were more "popular". This is where people tend to get into arguments, because they all struggle to identify the exact definition and successfully convey it to the other party. There are many more factors in terms of sales & marketing, economic conditions, etc than people realize. All of which affect the size and scope of each generation's fanbase, and all of which contribute to the growth/decline of the franchise.

I'm a strong believer that the best contributor to growth is through social influence, which affects corporate decisions. When positive word of mouth is strong and the fanbase is lively, the franchise is most likely to prosper. Likewise the reverse is true and the brand will suffer under negative actions. A perfect example of this is both the relentless opposition and venemous reactions to "genwunners", which has become more an opposition to "nostalgic fans". Odds are the more divided the fanbase is, the worse off Pokemon actually is because it causes declining growth
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

HeartGold and SoulSilver gave me the nostalgic chills, as Gold and Silver were my first games

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I think nostalgia plays a big part with the older games, but the game mechanics for the old games haven't changed, even if the newer games got better gameplay and better mechanics. Anytime you'll pick up a Red version, or a Crystal version, you're going to get the same thing no matter how many times you erase the save file. I'd say that the challenges are pretty challenging due to some limitations such as no EVs until the second generation, no way of rechallenging trainers except the Elite Four in R/B/Y so most of the time you're level grinding to level 100, unless you have another GameBoy and a link cable you can't complete your PokéDex, the list goes on. But being older now, you know what to do, and know how to challenge yourself to make it a little more fresh.

Either way you approach it, it doesn't take away the fact the games are still fun to play to this day. Yeah, the graphics aren't impressive now, but for the time it was, and you have to give it credit for that.

Thank you, people can like whatever they want. Every part of a game improves over time. Pokémon was the first of it's kind and to understand the craze over it, people need to understand what it was like in that time period. Pokémon has greatly improved in every way, but it's still not as popular as when it first came out...it was EVERYWHERE.

"What if Gen V came out first? Gen I would look so bland" Even if Gen V came out first, they'd still need simple designs for Pokémon and could only fit so much data in the cartridges. And since Gen I would have come out last, it would have today's technology. I can't understand this argument...

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

I'm pretty sure if the Gen 5 came first and Gen 1 last, some people who now say that Gen V pokémon look awfull, would say the Gen 1 look awfull. ( I wouldn't )

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewChamp View Post
    I'm pretty sure if the Gen 5 came first and Gen 1 last, some people who now say that Gen V pokémon look awfull, would say the Gen 1 look awfull. ( I wouldn't )
    That's not what I mean. I'm saying is that this argument doesn't make sense. Pokémon has been a gradual improvement because lf technology. You can't just think they could have this entire Gen V be able to fit on a GB cartridge. Every Pokémon would have to be simplified as well as gameplay. Same thing with Gen I being last, it would have more capabilities because of having better technology

So what I'm saying is, it's pointless to hate Gen V for being more complex and hate Gen I for being simple. Complexity doesn't mean better or worse and neither does simplicity

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

I think it's fine to have nostalgia. Everyone longs for something or another. The thing is everything has good and bad aspects and if we all learn to respect one another for having different opinions, such as I like x Gen better because I feel y as opposed to saying z Gen sucks, then the fanbase would be much better off. Let's face it: these days the Pokemon fanbase is extremely divided and almost vicious on so many issues ranging from the games to the anime to the manga to the TCG and so on and so forth. Now we have such venomous attacks from so many sides that people wind up feeling hurt, lost, and afraid to speak out about what they feel, hence leading to more bashing and anger. Everyone has something they like, and something they do not like. All of us simply have opinions, and no gen is any better than another objectively, because it is not always nostalgia people may have but preferences as well. Meaning they may like the way something is done more at one point than another, new or old. We all have different tastes, and we may not find things better, equal, or worse. If we can just respect one another and appreciate others' tastes, then we'll be Pokemon fans in my eyes.

Terms like "nostalgiafag," "newfag," "genwunner," and "newgenner" only show immaturity, disrespect, and stupidity by whoever may use them. Really just wrong to attack others without respecting what they have to say, and it just shows a blatant inability to comprehend why someone may have different opinions than another. Honestly, this incredibly stupid terminology needs to stop in the Pokemon fanbase on both ends IMO. Not only that but sexism as well against homosexuals in the case of the first two terms mentioned.
    Last edited by Dwail8023; 11th December 2012 at 7:05 PM.
    "If Pikachu becomes a Raichu, I might be able to win that badge. On the other hand, to make it evolve just to fight...I would be just like Surge...Pikachu, what do you want to do? I really wanna beat that Surge, but I also don't want to force you to evolve if you'd be happier staying the way you are now." -- OS Ash, ESS

Opinions About:
    1. The Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. The English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment (Seasons 1-8) > The Pokemon Company International (Seasons 9-17)
    3. The Games: XY > BW > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    4. Pokemon: The Origin: Excellent: 94.7/100.
    5. The Movies: OS > AG > XY (Prediction) > DP = BW
    6. Team Rocket: http://ultraericthered.tumblr.com/po...d-off-for-good

Nostalgia is not good or bad, the only problem is people who attack others for being/not being nostalgic.

Then again, those people have problems way beyond that.

Edit: Got ninja'd (sort of).
    Last edited by Brownie; 11th December 2012 at 6:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Nostalgia is not good or bad, the only problem is people who attack others for being/not being nostalgic.

Then again, those people have problems way beyond that.

Edit: Got ninja'd (sort of).
    Well said. The same could be said of those who force their opinions that new stuff is the best or better or just as good and you HAVE to think so as well. I mean you must or you're not a true fan. I find that silly because people may prefer Gen IV to V and think it's better, and they don't deserve to be hammered for it so long as they aren't forcing that opinion on you. Or that the original series is the best to me or etc. It works both ways, is what I'm saying.

In other words, nostalgic fans who say you must only like older generations and fans of only newer generations who say you must prefer them or you're nostalgic. Both are equally bad.
    Last edited by Dwail8023; 11th December 2012 at 6:59 PM.
    "If Pikachu becomes a Raichu, I might be able to win that badge. On the other hand, to make it evolve just to fight...I would be just like Surge...Pikachu, what do you want to do? I really wanna beat that Surge, but I also don't want to force you to evolve if you'd be happier staying the way you are now." -- OS Ash, ESS

Opinions About:
    1. The Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. The English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment (Seasons 1-8) > The Pokemon Company International (Seasons 9-17)
    3. The Games: XY > BW > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    4. Pokemon: The Origin: Excellent: 94.7/100.
    5. The Movies: OS > AG > XY (Prediction) > DP = BW
    6. Team Rocket: http://ultraericthered.tumblr.com/po...d-off-for-good

Your post was well thought out too

I don't know if those last two words are insults as much as labels, but the first two (newfag and nostalgiafag) need to die. If someone likes the new/old stuff better, good for them, attacking them will not help your cause, if anything, it will just make them hate the one they don't prefer even more (if they didn't already).

"True fan" is just a term used to describe someone who thinks exactly like the person who uses it, its lost all meaning, what exactly is a "true fan" anyway?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast