Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64

Thread: What if the actual Pokemon cries were used?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    689

    Lightbulb What if the actual Pokemon cries were used?

    I always imagined something: what if instead of having Pokemon say their names, they actually have the cries used in the games? There would be slight alterations so it sounds authentic, but how would the series look if it was like that?

    3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

  2. #2

    Default

    Well, they'd sound more animalistic and badass... and less ridiculous... I'd love that actually.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,132

    Default

    Pretty sure some of the legendaries do these days. Dialga and Palkia are examples, but I'm not sure who else..

    Also, if you search for the Black/White 2 game preview, you'll see how unusual it really is, since Serperior, Stoutland, Seviper and such did all use their game cries.

  4. #4

    Default

    Out of place? I think the Pokémon voices (and the trailer in general, really) are better than the regular animé.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    I always imagined something: what if instead of having Pokemon say their names, they actually have the cries used in the games? There would be slight alterations so it sounds authentic, but how would the series look if it was like that?
    It would be awful, that Black 2 White 2 animated trailer, was WAY too creepy, it didn't sound right.

    Look the dub might be horrible with the whole bad Pokémon voices, but the original is really good for the most part with voices.
    -----

    At least the big Pokémon have screeches and stuff.

    But yeah no, I'd probably hate it. It would sound awful.

    Especially since Meowth only learned how to speak human because of his Pokémon anime voice.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Smash Run
    Posts
    6,706

    Default

    It would be chaos for my ears, especially on some cries like Gothitelle and Chandelure.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    200

    Default

    I wouldn't mind but I'm too used to the Pokemon saying their names.XP

    R-R-RANK UP!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Basement, York
    Posts
    3,585

    Default

    I think I'd rather hear the anime cries in games than vice-versa

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMerle View Post
    I think I'd rather hear the anime cries in games than vice-versa
    Eck, I wouldn't like that at all. I already think that the "name cries" are silly enough as it is; I would revile encountering a Pikachu in-game that promptly shouted "PII-PIKA-PII!" at me.
    Last edited by Endolise; 2nd December 2012 at 12:56 AM.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,468

    Default

    Well, some Pokémon in the anime don't chant their names over and over again. They're rather animalistic at times, but I wouldn't say it was taken directly from the games. But really, if you want to hear Pokémon have cries close to the games, or as rather realistic as possible, the Stadium games and the like are the way to go. In which case, if they had those actual cries in the anime, it'd be pretty neat to hear, but it wouldn't be "cute" enough. The Japanese gotta have their cute things, and what better way than to have Pikachus hop up and down chirping, "Pika pika pikachu!"?
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    86

    Default

    It would take a lot of getting used too

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    As a fan of the Snivy line, I really wouldn't mind if they replaced Servine's cry. It's very obnoxious sounding after a while.
    Regice's cry, too.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Aperture Laboratories
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanami View Post
    It would take a lot of getting used too
    I could say the same thing, but in my opinion, the anime would seem cooler with the actual Pokémon cries.

    Banner made by Kelz-Designs on deviantART

    I never knew my father...

        Spoiler:


    Firetruck this guy. I hope he gets banned for good.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    In the Canalava Mines
    Posts
    3,591

    Default

    Well, they'd definitely sound robotic. I mean, Pikachu's game voice from the games... yeah. xD

    ~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

  15. #15

    Default

    Pikachu (at least Ash's) and any Pokémon that talked e.g. Meowth, Mewtwo, Keldeo etc. would be exceptions.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Eck, I wouldn't like that at all. I already think that the "name cries" are silly enough as it is; I would revile encountering a Pikachu in-game that promptly shouted "PII-PIKA-PII!" at me.
    What did you think of using Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow then? Because it sat around going pika all the time anyway!

    I quite like the idea of game cries in the animé, but then thats because I dont think animals should talk..........

    Mind though, everyones right, the original Japanese episodes work well




  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d4rk_tailed View Post
    I quite like the idea of game cries in the animé, but then thats because I dont think animals should talk..........
    We're talking about animals, that have near sentient level as humans.

    I'm pretty sure their allowed to "talk," grunts and screeches don't work with Pokémon, at least in the realistic sense as opposed to the game sense.

    The only reason why they grunt and screech in the games, is due to technical limitations.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    We're talking about animals, that have near sentient level as humans.

    I'm pretty sure their allowed to "talk," grunts and screeches don't work with Pokémon, at least in the realistic sense as opposed to the game sense.
    I didnt quite understand the 2nd paragraph you wrote?

    But to the first one, same sentient level? Real world animals, particularly chimps, dogs and certain others are as smart compared to humans as Pokemon are portrayed to be right? If animals cant say their names, I dont think Pokemon should either Sorry.




  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    DE Lewes
    Posts
    729

    Default

    it would be cool but I think should stick with the name cry.

    My FireRed Champs:


    My HeartGold Team:


    My Black Team:


    My White Team:


    My White 2 Team So Far:


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chile, the conga line country
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    We're talking about animals, that have near sentient level as humans.
    (...)
    If they are sentient creatures then why don't they just talk instead of saying their names?

    Personally I think the game cries sound more natural (at least the newer ones... they should update the older ones to make them sound more realistic).
    A Pokémon just repeating its name over and over doesn't make any sense to me... and I think it's annoying.
    Miiverse is addictive~
    Click Ran if you want to visit my Void c:
    I'm not a native english speaker, so I'm sorry if I make mistakes.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d4rk_tailed View Post
    I didnt quite understand the 2nd paragraph you wrote?
    Basically if all Pokémon had were screeches and grunts, they could NEVER be able to talk like a human.

    Why do think a dog or a cat, hasn't straight out mimicked a word by a human. I don't think its do to lack of intelligence (but perhaps a part of it) but it's mostly because they only imitate so many sounds with their "vocal cords."

    But to the first one, same sentient level? Real world animals, particularly chimps, dogs and certain others are as smart compared to humans as Pokemon are portrayed to be right? If animals cant say their names, I dont think Pokemon should either Sorry.
    Almost all animals except humans rely solely on instinct.

    If you actually looked at what humans are outside of the other animal kingdom, you realize that humans are the only animals that they have such advanced language skills. And we also have what, cognitive thinking. Sure there are some bright animals out there.

    But they lack what humans do.

    All Pokémon for the most part, are like humans but a different species.

    Like let's say that humans are the most intelligent of the primates, it's why we can talk, it's why our language has grammar, syntax, and nuances that we can understand that no other primate or other animal for that matter can comprehend.

    Pokémon are the equivalent of the other top species.

    Like Pikachu being a top rodent, that if they tried really hard could speak human language.

    Quote Originally Posted by CBC View Post
    If they are sentient creatures then why don't they just talk instead of saying their names?
    As Meowth told us, it's not easy for a Pokémon to use syllables that they aren't used to saying. There many English words that are easy to say for me, even if I never seen them before, because they follow the English language.

    However if I listen to a Spanish song a million times, I would only be able to repeat only a few of the words (words that are close to English words). It's a lot like that, that's why it is so hard for anyone to follow other languages they don't understand because a lot of it sounds like gibberish.

    Have you ever heard a foreign language and their talking at any pace, and you don't even know where to begin to start repeating what you heard. It might be easy for humans to mimic words they hear, but sometimes it is difficult. Just imagine how hard it would be to repeat a sentence, a paragraph, even a song you've heard millions of times.

    So while all Pokémon do have the capability of speaking human, realize that it is a different language for them, and probably even harder for them to learn, than say humans trying to learn another human language.

    Plus I think it's easier to understand a language than to speak it.
    ----------


    Anyway ON TOP of all that, I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

    It's a popular, and makes sense theory that Pokémon were named after the noises they made.

    They aren't saying their name, that's just how they speak, and their names are a result of the sounds they make. But that doesn't work on the Pokémon that do have animalistic noises but then again clearly they are a different case and really doesn't prove the theory wrong. Surely not all Pokémon could've been named after the noises they make.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chile, the conga line country
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    As Meowth told us, it's not easy for a Pokémon to use syllables that they aren't used to saying. There many English words that are easy to say for me, even if I never seen them before, because they follow the English language.

    However if I listen to a Spanish song a million times, I would only be able to repeat only a few of the words (words that are close to English words). It's a lot like that, that's why it is so hard for anyone to follow other languages they don't understand because a lot of it sounds like gibberish.

    Have you ever heard a foreign language and their talking at any pace, and you don't even know where to begin to start repeating what you heard. It might be easy for humans to mimic words they hear, but sometimes it is difficult. Just imagine how hard it would be to repeat a sentence, a paragraph, even a song you've heard millions of times.

    So while all Pokémon do have the capability of speaking human, realize that it is a different language for them, and probably even harder for them to learn, than say humans trying to learn another human language.

    Plus I think it's easier to understand a language than to speak it.
    I suppose you are right. Since I'm not from an english speaking country I still find it hard to understand some words from english songs... 8D
    But then it should be easier for Pokémon raised from eggs by trainers to learn the human language... unless they are already born capable of speaking their own language...

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Anyway ON TOP of all that, I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

    It's a popular, and makes sense theory that Pokémon were named after the noises they made.

    They aren't saying their name, that's just how they speak, and their names are a result of the sounds they make. But that doesn't work on the Pokémon that do have animalistic noises but then again clearly they are a different case and really doesn't prove the theory wrong. Surely not all Pokémon could've been named after the noises they make.
    What doesn't make sense to me is that the names aren't just random words, but they do have an etymology that perfectly describes that Pokémon species.
    Miiverse is addictive~
    Click Ran if you want to visit my Void c:
    I'm not a native english speaker, so I'm sorry if I make mistakes.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Posts
    2,762

    Default

    It would seem more realistic, but I don't think it would be better. I think them saying their names allows for a tad more personality.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    It would seem more realistic, but I don't think it would be better. I think them saying their names allows for a tad more personality.
    Funny, I always thought that it made them look like idiots who were only capable of saying one word. Also, I'll only fully accept it (I 99% accept it now) when I hear dogs saying "dog" over and over and when the birds tweet "bird" ad nausiem.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Route 123, looking for Celebi
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    Funny, I always thought that it made them look like idiots who were only capable of saying one word. Also, I'll only fully accept it (I 99% accept it now) when I hear dogs saying "dog" over and over and when the birds tweet "bird" ad nausiem.
    There are animals that are named for the sounds they make in some languages, you know.


    98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •