Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What if the actual Pokemon cries were used?

Well there's a problem with that. Imagine a Staraptor flying in making a hawk cry, then Pidgeot flies in with it's cry sounding like "BRR BRR BREE"

Having the digital cries in the anime would be weird. More animalistic sounds would be fine by me (though some smaller Pokemon could still say their name).

My first thought was someone needs to catch a Kricketune

The Dik Dik says hi. They make a sound pretty similar to their name (some think it sounds like zik zik).

15533668.jpg

Why couldn't the same idea be said for Pokemon? Humans thought of the Pokemon names by their cries.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Basically if all Pokémon had were screeches and grunts, they could NEVER be able to talk like a human.

Why do think a dog or a cat, hasn't straight out mimicked a word by a human. I don't think its do to lack of intelligence (but perhaps a part of it) but it's mostly because they only imitate so many sounds with their "vocal cords."

Almost all animals except humans rely solely on instinct.

If you actually looked at what humans are outside of the other animal kingdom, you realize that humans are the only animals that they have such advanced language skills. And we also have what, cognitive thinking. Sure there are some bright animals out there.

But they lack what humans do.

All Pokémon for the most part, are like humans but a different species.

Like let's say that humans are the most intelligent of the primates, it's why we can talk, it's why our language has grammar, syntax, and nuances that we can understand that no other primate or other animal for that matter can comprehend.

Pokémon are the equivalent of the other top species.

Like Pikachu being a top rodent, that if they tried really hard could speak human language.
    Haha, bloody good argument there, *applause.

However, I know the Pokedex says pokemon are a certain species of animal, but Ive never really paid attention to that (especially now when ones like Torterra are 'continents') and instead believed Pokemon are not at the top of any chain.

And since they arent atop a hierarchy of intelligent animals, I just believe it would be natural for them not to speak!

Another thing I want to say is, if they used their cries we wouldn't get cute Pokemon plushies that say their name when you squeeze them or detect your voice. Who would want to hug a Pikachu plush that makes it's in-game cry when squeezed? I wouldn't buy that Emolga plush I had if all it did was make it's cry when I talked to it, I could do that with my Pokemon Black 2 pokedex.

I agree with the fact that pokemon shouldn't talk. It would make the anime weird. As for using cries, i guess it could work. A few legendaries, like Palkia, rayquaza etc., roar instead. I just don't think it would work. Take Emboar for instance, instead of going Em Embaor it would make it's cry, which sounds like a cross between a pig and a fart. I'm serious! Go check it if you like. It just wouldn't have the same affect.

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

If the pokemon used their game voices in the show it would sound weird. And it would take a while to get used to the robotic like pokemon voices. Because in the games the pokemon sound like robots a little.
    ( Natnat60)

I vote against - the names sound better for the anime, and the cries sound better for the games.
    Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    I always imagined something: what if instead of having Pokemon say their names, they actually have the cries used in the games? There would be slight alterations so it sounds authentic, but how would the series look if it was like that?
    In the game's dialog, Pokemon say their names. Voice synthesis was hard on the old Gameboy, so the developers used simplified sound FX for the cries.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by pacman000 View Post
    In the game's dialog, Pokemon say their names.
    So Jigglypuff's name is Pu, Articuno's name is Gyaoo and Audino's name is Brrrm?
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    So Jigglypuff's name is Pu, Articuno's name is Gyaoo and Audino's name is Brrrm?
    I think the most of Pokemon's dialog is a transliteration rather than a translation. Jiggilypuff's name is Purin in Japan; I imagine it's just repeating the first syllable of it's name. Audino's Japanese name contains a "br" sound. Clefairy says "Pi pippippi!" I don't know about Articuno; I haven't found a transliteration of it's name. Of course I'm not entirely sure; this is just my view of what happened.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Articuno's Japanese name is Freezer. Creative, I know.

Also, I'd think that if Pokémon are meant to say their names in dialogue, then Nintendo would translate that, not transliterate.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

That would sound incredibly awkward.

I just saw this vid showing all the cries of the Pokémon in Stadium 2, and they (mostly) did a good job of making their in game cries sound real.

Vaporeon's name is Showers, but I hardly believe that's what the Japanese say.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Quote Originally Posted by DMerle View Post
    I think I'd rather hear the anime cries in games than vice-versa
    My thoughts exactly. I like the anime cries much better.

I'd have to say, I think that the anime might get a little more attention from more mature audiences, because a lot of people make fun of them for saying their names. Then again, we've all gotten used to it, and it does have a certain charm to it. In any case, I would actually like it if the pokemon sounded like animals, but not like the ones from the game. It would be a little less annoying at times...
    PASBL Stats // TL 1 // C+ Ref
    Fizzy Bubbles
    Wish your Pokémon could pull off awesome feats, amazing combos, and stunning moves instead of just doing what the buttons tell them? Ever wanted to see a Caterpie obliterate an Onix? Wonder if there's a world where all your favorite Pokémon can become champions without Levitate? You saw it here first.
    The Pokémon Anime Style Battling League!
    Home | Intro
        Spoiler:- Friend Code/Username List:

Quote Originally Posted by Quilavaflare View Post
    I'd have to say, I think that the anime might get a little more attention from more mature audiences, because a lot of people make fun of them for saying their names. Then again, we've all gotten used to it, and it does have a certain charm to it. In any case, I would actually like it if the pokemon sounded like animals, but not like the ones from the game. It would be a little less annoying at times...
    I can honestly say I've never made fun of Pokemon for saying their names instead of some sort of animal sound. I think I am a little younger than a lot of you though. I always assumed the professors discovered a new Pokemon, and then actually named the Pokemon after what they said. That theory has always made more sense to me than the Pokemon being named something then somehow figuring out to say it. No, that's just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilavaflare View Post
    Because Pokemon making weird mechanical cries in a medium where the rest of the audio was normal wouldn't be poked fun of at all, right? :P

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

^The OP covered that.

I always imagined something: what if instead of having Pokemon say their names, they actually have the cries used in the games? There would be slight alterations so it sounds authentic, but how would the series look if it was like that?
    Emphasis added by me.

The problem is that not only are we used to them saying their names, but also their cries would seem odd compared to the human voices. Also, have you heard pignite and emboar's cry... they sound like farts. that would definitely stop a few people watching, because a few pokemon's cries are just strange and annoying to listen to.

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

Stadium 2 shows that game cries can work if altered to sound realistic. Pikachu would be the exception, though.

hmm... I think it's better not using the game cries.
    though it's really awesome meowth can talk!
    My fc: 4871 5236 8426

Dare to battle me?

I'm back

I don't know, really depends on the Pokemon. For example I like Pikachu saying it's name better. Sounds more cuter. :- P
    ~It's not always right or wrong, As long as your spirit's strong. It's not always win or lose, It's the road you choose; The answer's within.

It's not always black and white, But your heart always knows what's right.~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast