Thread: First Pokemon Team.. Opinions?

Default First Pokemon Team.. Opinions?

This is the first time I've actually trained and raised pokemon for a team, but be totally honest.

Venomoth
    Modest Nature
    EV: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
    Ability: Wonder Skin
    Moves: Bug Buzz, Psychic, Sludge Bomb, Energy Ball
    Item: Wise Glasses

Rhyperior
    Adamant Nature
    EV: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 6 Sp. def
    Ability: Lightningrod
    Moves: Megahorn, Hammer Arm, Stone Edge, Earthquake
    Item: Cell Battery

Scyther
    Adamant Nature
    EV: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 10 HP
    Ability: Technician
    Moves: Aerial Ace, Swords Dance, Double Hit, Bug Bite
    Item: Eviolite

Rampardos
    Adamant Nature
    EV: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 6 Def
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Moves: Crunch, Thrash, Iron Tail, Head Smash
    Item: Float Stone

Ducknoir
    Adamant Nature
    EV: 252 Atk, 129 Def, 129 Sp. Def
    Ability: Pressure
    Moves: Shadow Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, ThunderPunch
    Item: Spell Tag

Muk
    Adamant Nature
    EV: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 6 Sp. Def
    Ability: Poison Touch
    Moves: Gunk Shot, Shadow Punch, Explosion, Disable
    Item: Life Orb

I primarily use this team for double-battles

Quote Originally Posted by papayaperson View Post
    This is the first time I've actually trained and raised pokemon for a team, but be totally honest.

Venomoth
    Modest Nature
    Ability: Wonder Skin/Tinted Lens
    Moves: Bug Buzz, Psychic, Sludge Bomb/Quiver Dance, Energy Ball/Sleep Powder
    Item: Wise Glasses

You're not using Venomoth for what it's good at. Having good coverage with few moves thanks to Tinted Lens, and a wonderful setup combo in Sleep Powder and Quiver Dance.

Rhyperior
    Adamant Nature
    EV: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 6 Sp. def
    Ability: Lightningrod/Solid Rock
    Moves: MegahornIce Punch/Rock Polish, Hammer Arm/Ice Punch/Rock Polish, Stone Edge, Earthquake
    Item: Cell Battery Lightningrod will negate Cell Battery's activation. Completely useless. I'd go for Solid Rock to survive super-effective physical hits more easily, and maybe a Choice Band/Expert Belt/Leftovers. Fighting has very similar coverage to ground, and if you keep Megahorn, it won't even be your best option against Dark types.

Scyther
    Adamant Nature
    EV: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 10 HP
    Moves: Aerial Ace, Swords Dance, Double Hit/Brick Break/Return/Roost, Bug Bite

Even after Technician, Return is about as strong as Double Hit and it doesn't miss. Brick Break will help you counter Steel types which resist both Bug and Flying. Roost for recovery as you're using Eviolite, it might help.

Rampardos
    Adamant Nature
    Moves: Crunch, Thrash, Iron Tail, Head Smash
    Item: Float Stone

I suggest you ditch this. It's an inferior Rhyperior (cwutididthere.gif) and it doesn't do much to help your team. Float Stone is pretty damn useless, go for Choice Band/Scarf if you really want to keep it. Thrash is trash (cwutididthere etc. etc.), it locks you into a normal type move which doesn't help you against anything. Go for more coverage. Same as Iron Tail, it is inaccurate and has poor coverage. Fire Punch, Superpower etc. are much better options.

Ducknoir/Dusknoir? LOL
    Adamant Nature
    EV: 252 Atk, 129 Def, 129 Sp. Def Dusknoir has awesome defenses and poor HP. You should invest those 252 points onto HP, not defenses.
    Moves: Shadow Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, ThunderPunch [B]Brick Break gives you perfect coverage with Shadow Punch, so you can have some room for more useful moves (Pain Split works pretty well with Dusknoir).
    Item: Spell Tag

Muk
    Adamant Nature
    Moves: Gunk Shot, Shadow Punch, Explosion, Disable
    Item: Life Orb

I primarily use this team for double-battles
    My suggestion would be to replace Muk and Rampardos with something else. They don't do much in particular on your team and you already cover both Poison and Rock types with Venomoth and Rhyperior.
    Last edited by edonub; 1st December 2012 at 8:58 PM.

What purpose do your EVs serve?
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Venomoth
    Modest Nature
    Ability: Tinted Lenses
    Item: Sitrus berry/Chestro berry(if using rest)
    Moves:
    -Bug Buzz
    -Psychic/Baton pass/Rest
    -Sleep powder
    -Quiver dance

Same as the first person who posted but with Baton pass as an option and Sitrus berry or Chestro rest for healing.
    Rhyperior
    Adamant Nature
    EV: 252 Atk, 252 speed, 6 Sp. def
    Ability: Solid rock
    Item: Choice band
    Moves:
    -Megahorn
    -Hammer Arm
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake

Choice band for power and Solid rock for defense.

Scyther
    Nature: Jolly
    EV: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
    Moves:
    -Aerial Ace
    -Swords Dance
    -Pursuit/Brick break
    -Bug Bite

Jolly nature since your boosting atk speed is more important and Pursuit for trapping ghost and psychic types. Brick break gives you coverage at the cost of trapping.

Rampardos
    Adamant Nature
    Item: Choice scarf
    Moves:
    -Crunch
    -Earthquake
    -Fire punch
    -Head Smash

Pretty bad pokemon but what ever Earthquake and Mold breaker hit anything that isn't flying type or using fly/dive/bounce/magnet rise(Mold breaker negates Levitate and other abiliities that reduce or elimitate damage so Earthquake hits Levitate pokemon which is the big reason its popular on mold breaker pokemon and Earthquake is just a good move.) Fire punch hits Skarmory and grass types for more damage. Choice scarf lets you revenge kill.

Ducknoir
    Nature: Calm/Bold/Sassy/what ever boost def or s.def and drop s.atk atk or speed.
    EV: Hp 252, 129 Def, 129 Sp. Def
    Item: Leftovers
    Moves:
    -Night shade
    -Substitute
    -Disable
    -Pain split

This is a stall pokemon use it as such and this team is better suited to singles. basically use substitute and if the opponent doesn't KO it use disable on whatever attack they use then use Substitute again and use Pain split to heal and Shadow punch to do damage. Night does more damage then non invested Shadow punch and is more reliable for damage. EVs max your defenses and hp.

Muk
    Nature: Sassy or another nature that drops either s.atk or speed and boost def or s.def
    Item Black sludge
    Moves:
    -Gunk Shot/Pain split
    -Shadow Punch/Pain split
    -Substitute
    -Disable/Memento/Pain split

Same set as Dusknoir put you can choose between a poor stab or a poor coverage move Poison is only useful for getting rid of toxic spikes and is a bad 2nd typing and worse only typing. Explosion got nerfed in bw/b2w2 so its almost useless If you want to keep Muk and not have this set go with either a sub Pain split with gunk shot and Shadow punch or a Substitute with Gunk shot, Shadow punch and Memento. Memento can allow your other pokemon a free turn to set up since it drops the opponents atk and s.atk by 2 stages and Ko's Muk allowing you to send it a set up sweeper.

Muk and Rampardos should be swapped for more support/special attackers all so this team is more built for Rarely used single battles and that is the 2nd lowest tier. these pokemon aren't used as much in Over used and tournaments except on Trick room teams so you should make some changes.
    Last edited by redcharzard; 2nd December 2012 at 12:59 PM.
        Spoiler:- Pokemon that I can breed and trade.:

Want
    DW females not listed
    0 speed IVs

Pm or VM me for a Trade.

Character BRANDON FC 3869 2640 3022

Change the EVs on Dusknoir. Your EVs don't really make sense. Dusknoir should get 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.