Thread: Ozzys First OU Team

Default Ozzys First OU Team

Hi im a super noob trying to get into competitive pokemon battling. I used to play diamond back in 2007 and then stopped to play some xbox and hang with my friends. Anyway I got white 2 on Released and loved it so much that I wanted to battle and have fun

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
    Nature Modest Ability Flash Fire
    EVs 120 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 128 Spe

HP Ground
    Overheat
    Energy Ball
    shadow Ball

Running the smogon Choice specs set. I wanted to see Chandelures Massive SpAtk at work while having good synergy with Ferrothorn. Deals great with steel types. Energy Ball is for coverage and deals great against water/ground types. Shadow ball is for STAB. I have hidden power Ground to surprise Heatren :3

Conkeldurr @ Flame orb
    Nature Adamant Ability Guts
    Evs 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpD
    Drain punch
    Bulk Up
    Ice Punch
    Mach Punch

Just a another smogon set with Ice punch For those pesky dragons. Bulk up is for set up, mach punch priority and drain punch for survivability since flame orb wears him down and Gaining hp from pokes like Vaporeon is great Plus hes a great T-tar counter

Donphan @ Earth Gem
    Nature Impish Ability Sturdy
    Evs 252 Hp/ 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Earthquake
    Endeavor
    Stealth Rocks
    Ice Shard

My stealth rock setup physical wall. To be honest I saw people use this set and decided to give it a try. Earthquake with Earth Gem plus STAB hurts. Endeavor is for sturdy combo with ice shard which can cripple sweepers (if they setup) without a priority move.

Reuniclus @Flame orb
    Nature Quiet Ability Magic Guard
    Ev 252 Hp/ 116 Def/ 56 SpA/ 80 SpD
    Psyshock (Thinking about switching to psychic)
    Trick
    Trick room (Thinking about switching to calm mind or Trick)....
    Recover

This set feels really weird. I wanted some bulk to try and set up or go for trick to cripple pokes like scizor that will try to set up on reuniclus. Im thinking that maybe i should switch Trick room for calm mind for a bulky set up but i need trick room so....... I need major help here. Would prefer to keep my ev spread and nature. Please help!

Ferrothorn @Leftovers
    Nature Sassy Ability Iron Barbs
    Ev 252 Hp/ 88 Def'/ 168 SpD
    Leech seed
    Power Whip
    Gryo Ball
    Spikes

Works well with Chandelure, also my spikes setup. This is the standard move set. I wanted my Ferro to take more special hits so i went into more ev investment in special defense as well as sassy nature. Its pretty much the standard Ferro just a Specially defensive tank. Dual Stab for coverage leech seed for survival and spikes for being spikes.

This is my first OU Team. I know that it needs alot of work but its fine I'll learn. Only way to get better is through mistakes Anyway, I know I need a spinner and donphan comes to mind but I was thinking of using a different poke for the job. Pokes that come to mind Cloyster, Tentacruel and Starmie. I need a water type and wanted it to be a spinner. Please help me I never battled competitively before. I just watch some youtube wifi-battles All advice will be greatly appreciated in the advancement and improvement of this team ( I was also thinking, maybe switch gliscor with donphan)?

Gliscor @Black sludge
    Nature Impish Ability Poison Heal
    Evs 252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 Spe
    Substitute
    Taunt/protect
    Toxic
    Stealth rocks
    Sub/protect or Sub/Taunt either works fine but I'm thinking sub protect to annoy people plus toxic to wear them down. Probably run Earthquake,sub,toxic,stealthrocks.
    Pardon my lack of details Im still a noob and havent battled competitively before. Thanks Again! Will check responses later today...So...Tired.

At a glance, that Reuniclus set seems really odd. That may just be because I've always used a Bulky Offensive set, although you may want to consider that with Life Orb. It may seem gimmicky to use Life Orb with Magic Guard, but it isn't a gimmick if it works that well. Free LO boosts are awesome.

For Ferro, you're probably better off running Stealth Rock over one of your offensive moves, as Ferro is great at setting them up. I'd drop Gyro Ball, as let's be honest. Steel has abysmal offensive coverage.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Quote Originally Posted by loco1234 View Post
    At a glance, that Reuniclus set seems really odd. That may just be because I've always used a Bulky Offensive set, although you may want to consider that with Life Orb. It may seem gimmicky to use Life Orb with Magic Guard, but it isn't a gimmick if it works that well. Free LO boosts are awesome.

For Ferro, you're probably better off running Stealth Rock over one of your offensive moves, as Ferro is great at setting them up. I'd drop Gyro Ball, as let's be honest. Steel has abysmal offensive coverage.
    Thanks, for Reuniclus, all i do is replace the flame orb? And ferro with Stealthrocks seems great. I know that this is a noob question but, is having two or more pokemon with stealthrocks good? Thanks for the reply

It's better to use just 1, I didn't see you had them on Donphan. Spreading your hazards out is usually better than consolidating them, so leave them on Donphan. I'd change the Reuniclus to

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    Bold Nature
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    - Recover
    - Calm Mind
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast

This is a great offensive set. The EVs add to Reuniclus's physical bulk and Calm Mind boosts its Special stats, which is why I invest no EVs there. Psyshock gets you through Special walls and Focus Blast hits Physicals. Basically, you set up and deal as much damage as you can, then Recover when you need to. Keep in mind you'll pretty much always go second though, so plan for that. But this is a great Reuniclus. I use it all the time in everything from Trick Room to Offensive weather.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

The Reuniclus shouldn't have the Flame Orb.
    Personally, I think the Flame Orb is good for pokemon with the guts ability. Since Reuniclus has a high base SA and moderate defenses to hold its ground a turn, it should have a life orb to at least take down one pokemon, while in the process, the opponent hopefully brings up a slower pokemon. The move Calm Mind would do good for this.

I recommend this Reuniclus:
    Reuniclus @ Leftovers
    Quiet
    Magic Guard
    252 Hp/252 SpA/4 Def
    -Trick Room
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast

Excellent late-game sweeper. Easily sets up TR on anything w/o a super effective move, then sweeps with appropriate, perfect coverage moves.

Gliscor shouldn't have Black Sludge, but Toxic Orb, to gain the recovery.

On Donphan, you might like Atk EV's instead of defensive, and an Adamant nature, to revenge kill stuff at low health. Another option is Rapid Spin, cuz Chandy hates SR. Also Leftovers > Earth Gem.

Conkeldurr Payback > Ice Punch for better coverage.

For a noob, as you call yourself, you know a lot about the metagame

-Rise Against, Survivor's Guilt
    I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

For your Gliscor, you shouldn't have Black Sludge because you will only hurt yourself. Or does that go with Poison Heal too?
    How it all started...

Spoiler:- Credits: