Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community POTW #101

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    Incarnate
    Defiant w/ Muscle Band/Life Orb
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP (if Adamant)/ 174 Attack, 168 Sp Attack, 168 Speed (if Naughty)
    Wild Charge/Thunderbolt/Thunder/Thunderpunch
    Crunch
    Brick Break/Focus Blast
    Smack Down/U-Turn/Iron Tail

Therian
    Item:Life Orb
    252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP (if Modest)/252 Sp Attack, 88 Attack, 170 Speed (if Rash)
    Thunderbolt/Thunder/Charge Beam
    Dark Pulse/Fly (if Rash)
    Focus Blast
    Psychic/Sludge Bomb/Flash Cannon

Other Move Ideas:
    Superpower with White Herb/Fighting Gem

Partners:
    Discharge-users for Therian
    Rain Dance-users if Thunder is used.

Countering:
    Defensive (espically Sp Defense) with high offense and Ice/Rock-type moves like Rock Slide/Ice Punch Registeel or Dusknoir.
    Best set ever:
    charge beam
    fly
    focus blast
    Sludge bomb
    - really horrible coverage
    - fly sucks
    - sludge bomb sucks
    - charge beam sucks when you have nasty plot
    - thunderus-T attack isn't really good
    - can switch to stealth rock 4 times instead of 5 cause of 4 HP evs which make his HP even.
    -no real need for superpower.
    - rain dance? politoed***
    -discharge? in doubles? ok I guess

defensive or high offense?
    Both the mentioned pokemons can't counter thunderus-T
    Actually the NP set have no real counters only checks..

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

^This.

I'm pretty sure the writers of the POTW will look for anything viable.

plus there should be a rule on bashing a persons set like that time when the "first" posts were being enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Best set ever:
    charge beam
    fly
    focus blast
    Sludge bomb
    - really horrible coverage
    - fly sucks
    - sludge bomb sucks
    - charge beam sucks when you have nasty plot
    - thunderus-T attack isn't really good
    - can switch to stealth rock 4 times instead of 5 cause of 4 HP evs which make his HP even.
    -no real need for superpower.
    - rain dance? politoed***
    -discharge? in doubles? ok I guess

defensive or high offense?
    Both the mentioned pokemons can't counter thunderus-T
    Actually the NP set have no real counters only checks..
    I made the changes to my original post. I had a hard time finding highly defensive pokemon to counter with.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    I made the changes to my original post. I had a hard time finding highly defensive pokemon to counter with.
    MEH just play little pokemon online or pokemon showdown and you will see how a set is built you are just posting random moves

Thunderus-T have basicaly no counters.. that's all.. in theory in practice focus blast will miss lots of times so he can be killed if focus blast had... 80 accuracy then he would be really OP but now with his coverage move with so low accuracy.

about bashing.. I know I try not to do it.. but he does that every week.. the current writer (BH?) just ignores that but the poster needs to know his sets are just so random.. (in-game=/= competitive)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.

Lets have a look at the ability corner.
    Incarnate
    -Prankster: this is wicked. +1 priority on all status moves? Yes please! Priority subs, taunts and thunder wave are good, and priority NP is VERY good.
    -Defiant: Only useful on physical sets, vs intimidate users. +1 att is nice, but the physical move pool is a little barren.

Therian
    -Volt absorb: Very good on rain teams, since electric type moves won't be harming your team.
    Last edited by philzone; 5th December 2012 at 10:44 PM.
    All Hail Goomy

and priority NP is VERY good.
    Excuse me, but what difference does this make?

It's not an attacking, defending, or crippling move, so it'll be hit on the turn it uses this anyway.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 50 Points
    Check out Mega Sableye's shield. It's a giant rupee! It's true, money does solve all your problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post

It's not an attacking, defending, or crippling move, so it'll be hit on the turn it uses this anyway.
    yes but it means you will get the attack boost before taunt is used on you.

Thundurus, eh? Pretty sweet Pokemon. Good offenses 105/145/101, great movepool, decent abilities... Overall an excellent Pokemon.

Thundurus (Therian) @ Choice Scarf
    Hasty/Naive
    252 Speed/ 252 Sp. Attack/ 4 Attack
    Thunderbolt/Thunder
    U-Turn/Volt Switch
    Superpower
    Hidden Power (Ice)

I already know what some of you are thinking. Why would you ever use U-Turn over Volt Switch on a Thundurus? Well, U-Turn has a few things over Volt Switch in this situation. Thundurus is an Electric type, you can expect people to think that it will be using either Volt Switch or Thunderbolt. They may attempt to bring in a Volt Absorber/ Lightning Rod or Ground type of their own to wall you and prevent the switch, as well as receive the benefits if they do so by ability. So if the switch is obvious and you don't feel like making a prediction into what they're switching into, you can U-Turn; they can't block it and/or get benefits and you deal a bit of damage. Yes, Volt Switch is more powerful, but I think U-Turn can be just as useful. U-Turn gives you a little more coverage than Volt Switch with Thunderbolt. U-Turn is also physical so it may hit a few things a tad harder, plus nothing is immune to bug or capitalizes on being hit by that type (besides the rare Rattled ability which you likely won't see in OU anyway). Superpower is for Blissey and Chansey since it will hit harder than Focus Blast anyway, plus it's a surprise they may not expect. It also hits Steels, although it may not do as much as Thunderbolt depending on the Steel. Hidden Power Ice hits dragons, ground types and opposing Thundurus.

Thundurus (Therian) @Choice Scarf/ Choice Specs
    Timid
    252 Speed/ 252 Sp. Attack/ 4 Def
    Thunderbolt/Thunder
    Focus Blast
    Hidden Power (Ice)
    Grass Knot/Volt Switch/Dark Pulse/Psychic

Hit stuff hard... Thunderbolt STAB, blah... Focus Miss is more coverage. Hidden Power (Ice) kills the cold blooded dragons, ground types and enemy Thundurus... Grass Knot is more reliable against Tyranitar and it can kill Gastrodon a lot quicker. Volt Switch is good for maintaining momentum. Dark Pulse kills ghosts like Gengar easier. Psychic can catch fighting types like Terrakion off guard if they aren't scarfed and faster.

Partners:
    Politoad for rain... Rapid Spinners...

Counters:
    Thundurus is NOT countered easily. Choice Scarf Terrakion can however, revenge kill it. Choice Band Multiscale Dragonite can OHKO with Extremespeed and Stealth Rock damage (I think). Dragonite can also switch in and take a hit if it's at full health and KO back with Extremespeed (if Thundurus takes Stealth Rock damage, I think). If Grass Knot isn't present then Gastrodon can Toxic-Recover stall it.
    If you like this, see this and much more at...

http://superartninja.deviantart.com/# - Deviant Art Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post

...but, then you are sure you can out pace taunters (unless they are prankster users, but you should outspeed them)
    All Hail Goomy

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    ...but, then you are sure you can out pace taunters (unless they are prankster users, but you should outspeed them)
    Yes, I am 100% sure that something with 111 base speed will outpace taunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    What about the odd tornadus-i? that is really the only competition it has as the fastest taunter
    All Hail Goomy

It never runs Taunt, and more importantly Thundurus resists Fighting / Flying and easily eliminates it with Thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    What about the odd tornadus-i? that is really the only competition it has as the fastest taunter
    See? odd.. we don't talk about odd or rare on competitive play we talk about common ones... and thunderus-I is faster than all the common taunters in ubers..

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    But guys what about Trick Room, GUYS WHAT ABOUT TRICK ROOM.

Strong pokémon!

Quote Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
    Prankster. PRANKSTER! (for thundurus I, but you are kinda screwed for thundurus -t)

@Ilan and BH. I see your point.
    All Hail Goomy

Quote Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
    It is also quite rare specially in ubers.. I always see it in POTW helping threads but it is actually a very rare strategy in singles.. and if trick room is active the last thing the opponent will do is to use taunt..

Actually thunderu-t have counters based on the set he uses.. if he doesn't use grass knot then gastordon can wall him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    It is also quite rare specially in ubers.. I always see it in POTW helping threads but it is actually a very rare strategy in singles.. and if trick room is active the last thing the opponent will do is to use taunt..

Actually thunderu-t have counters based on the set he uses.. if he doesn't use grass knot then gastordon can wall him.
    Even though I preach "tiers are crap" as often as possible, Thundurus, like many of the other PotW we've had, has the luxury of having many checks & counters banished to lower tiers. If not direct Pokemon checks/counters, then indirect Strategy checks/counters as you've pointed out, Ilan. Trick Room hinders Thundurus a lot in either form, but the primary users worth facing Thundurus can't risk showing their faces in the Overused and Uber neighborhoods without getting massacred...
    Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Gen 5 1v1 set

Thunderous
    -Max Sp.Atk/ Max Spd/ 4HP
    Prankster
    @Focus Sash
    -Nasty Plot
    -Thunderbolt
    -HP Ice
    -T-Wave
    Thunderous, while banned to Ubers, is still allowed in the Gen 5 1v1 tier. This means that we now have access to a Powerful Nasty Plot sweeper. His focus sash will guarantee a Nasty Plot Boost (unless Breloom or Cloyster is involved) as in 1v1 there are no rocks. Now, this set has a chance to kill cloyster, albeit an unreliable one. You could T-Wave and, if he is paralyzed twice you can KO him with Thunderbolt.

Credit to iPokemon^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12