Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Club Double Trouble (a double battling community)

I dont really like using rain, its so easy to use that it kinda takes out the fun part of playing pokemon...
    Now against them... i dont usually have problems with them, if they start with toed + ludicolo i can take down ludicolo with a sludge bomb pretty easily and then switch tales for porygon2 to take a water type attack.
    If they start out with toed + kingdra i'll put kingdra asleep and the same with tales... but if they start with ludicolo + kingdra and switch in poli then my main target for sleep powder will still be kingdra since i can deal pretty well with the rest... after taking its swift swimmers out then its pretty easy to win
    Proud member of Club Double Trouble

Thank you for the VGC Sub-Forum <3

Rain teams, eh?

Well, I've not yet built a rain team of my own (though I am working on a 4th Gen SunDance doubles team), but I think they are probably the easiest to use because so many different types of Pokemon can benefit from the effect of rain. Rain cuts the effectiveness of fire so it can be used as extra defense by pretty much all Pokemon weak to fire like Bug types, Grass types, and Ice types. Rain also boosts the effectiveness of Water type moves, and there are many Pokemon that can use Water-type offensive moves, so all of them can benefit offensively from Rain. There's no damage from rain, unlike Hail or Sand, so you don't need to worry very much about having Pokemon of certain types. And, unlike Sun, Rain will actually enhance the accuracy of certain high powered moves (Thunder and Hurricane), whereas Sun just decreases the accuracy of those moves and makes SolarBeam charge faster. So it's pretty easy to put together a good team that all makes use of Rain

On the other hand, I do find that most rain teams are easy to take down, because a lot of them become over-dependent on Rain. They become fairly easy to predict, so you can take advantage of the weather and turn it against them. Or, if that weather does get wiped out, the team generally becomes a bunch of sitting ducks. The only Rain teams that really give me trouble these days are the ones that can use it, but don't absolutely have to have it.

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

Sorry I've not posted in a while been really busy over the holidays ^^;
    I find rain teams fairly easy to deal with I just snd out ludicolo to make the most of the rain and then send out abomasnow to shut them down completely. However if you underestimate the strength that Politoed has with rain boosted hydro pump then you will be in for a very big shock.

also, cresselias basically always can shut them down if they dont take it fast enough.
    thunderwave, icy wind, and trick room all counter most rain abusers really well.
    trick room give slower pokemon speed, like i said before rain teams usually focus on speed.
    icy win lowers the foes speed by one stage.
    thunderwave i think either halves it or something around there.
    almost all cresselias run one of these moves.

After any grass moves are removed, i usually use Gastro, since it messes up their water STABs. I run sand as well, so when Ttar comes in, he should take most Special moves. earthquake deals nicely with toxicroak. I use icy wind cress, since it can hold on, and counter toxicroak

wait you run earthquake on tyranitar?
    that is pretty interesting. if you are using the team that i see in your signature then i actually dont see why you do >_>
    because you run a garchomp AND a landorus AND gastrodon. the ground stab is super important to these pokemon (sometimes not gastrodon) and since you already have 2+ pokemon with ground type moves, i wouldn't see the point in running earthquake on it.
    i would try fire punch or low kick. low kick lets you beat other tyranitars with your own and fire punch gives you a semi way of countering scizor. if your have scizor with -1 speed or paralyzed without a trick room up you should be fine to OHKO the scizor.

Trick Room is one of the ways I try to deal with rain teams. Simple, yet effective.
    Sableye has been really helped out against rain too, since Taunt messes up most Politoeds pretty well, and Tricking a Lagging Tail onto something can pretty much negate its usefulness for the rest of the battle.
    But my two favourite ways of dealing with it are Cloud Nine and Storm Drain. Cloud nine is great because no matter what, they won't be able to get the weather they want back in play until my Lickilicky is gone from the field, and that's a surprisingly tough Pokemon to try and take down. But Storm Drain is just absolutely hilarious in battle, especially if it's the first time an opponent has seen it. Most people seem to think that it's like Water Absorb, so even if Gastrodon gets one boost, they'll still try to target the other 'mon with a water move, not realizing that Storm Drain will actually draw in an attack that wasn't aimed at it. For example:

32-02809-91939

And no, I don't feel bad for getting that many free boosts on my Gastrodon. The first time I ran into a Gastrodon, I did exactly the same thing. x) Only luckily, I was not running a Rain team, so I only had one water-user on the team, and therefore only gave the slug 2 free boosts instead of 3. And I apologize in advance for my Sableye's antics. For the last 3 or so turns, it didn't matter what the heck she did, so I just started playing around. xD This is also one of the first times that I did not feel the need to use Cloud Nine at all.
    Last edited by zozo; 4th January 2013 at 1:35 PM.

My Youtube battle videos

Quote Originally Posted by joej m View Post
    wait you run earthquake on tyranitar?
    that is pretty interesting. if you are using the team that i see in your signature then i actually dont see why you do >_>
    because you run a garchomp AND a landorus AND gastrodon. the ground stab is super important to these pokemon (sometimes not gastrodon) and since you already have 2+ pokemon with ground type moves, i wouldn't see the point in running earthquake on it.
    i would try fire punch or low kick. low kick lets you beat other tyranitars with your own and fire punch gives you a semi way of countering scizor. if your have scizor with -1 speed or paralyzed without a trick room up you should be fine to OHKO the scizor.
    I meant from chomp. New team is the second RMT link there. It has changed a little, including a cresselia and a hitmontop. Ttar ran Avalance>earthquake, but now runs one of the elemental punches. That was my old old team. my old team consisted of the same, but alakasm and landorus swapped for cress and hitmontop. now i have added scizor and metagross over gastrodon and hitmontop. rain isn't a problem for me, due to steels and ttar.

i like your team
    i will go in and give a full fledge rate. one thing i recommend right now is using custom EV's... come on guys... are me and drizzle the only ones who use custom EV's? >___>
    anyway, i would love to battle you some time! ^^; i havent gotten to battle to many members yet and i would love to.

i like your team
    i will go in and give a full fledge rate. one thing i recommend right now is using custom EV's... come on guys... are me and drizzle the only ones who use custom EV's? >___>
    anyway, i would love to battle you some time! ^^; i havent gotten to battle to many members yet and i would love to.
    Thanks =]
    Unfortunately, RNGing hasn't worked for me, so the team currently ingame hasn't got flawless IVs. I have it on showdown, for testing purposes, though. I'll be happy to battle though. I'm currently trying to find ones with flawless IVs for in game. But still having no luck. The only one I can't RNG are cresselia and thundurus, since I have already caught my in game ones. I'm going to try RNGing on my DSlite instead, as it is supposedly easier. Argggghhhhh. Just realised that benga is still giving out his shiny. Once this RNG thing is sorted, I'll try it.
    Last edited by philzone; 4th January 2013 at 10:45 PM.

ANNOUNCEMENT!
    For those of you that are being tutored at the academy there is now a userbar for you to use in your sig! This is optional no one is forcing you to use it, I'd like to remind you that if you do use it please give credit to Eveelover on your sig. That is all

yeah that is a one liner... you too duckie. pretty sure you need to expand more on your post by talking about a topic or something.
    also drizzle, he said he already could get those two... so he doesn't need them... >_>
    (this is not to chingchar)

yeah that is a one liner... you too duckie. pretty sure you need to expand more on your post by talking about a topic or something.
    also drizzle, he said he already could get those two... so he doesn't need them... >_>
    Maybe, or maybe not. ^-^;

Anyway.... NEW TOPIC: What Steel-Type Pokemon do you like to use in Double-Battling? (Don't turn this into a discussion in which people begin to say that <insert Pokemon names here> are the only usable Steel-Type Pokemon in Double-Battling)

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

steel types are super important on most doubles teams because they resist the dragon moves that swarm the metagame.
    any steel type i can find useful i use. excadrill is the one i am currently using because i am running a sand team and my team was not to high speed at the time.
    but other pokemon that are great are:
    scizor (also a great cresselia counter)
    metagross
    heatran
    bronzong ( with one weekness [levitate] it is a great wall and trick room user)
    aron (berry juice/shell bell level 1 endeavor can always troll some people )

He just said he couldn't...

@ topic scizor is great! he is on almost all my teams. I like running a bulky swords dance set but also running a flying gem acrobatics set to KO hitmontops.

Credit to me

Crap and I had a fun idea for a new topic. :/

Personally, Scizor. With Bullet Punch and Technician, this bug is able to plow through a myriad of Pokemanz that don't resist it like Abomasnow and Tyranitar.

Will edit post with my votes.

Edit: Mono Color: Yellow
    Mono Region: Unova
    Last edited by Dragalge; 4th January 2013 at 10:57 PM.

sorry misread by me
    but anyway i have never actually used a scizor because i always end up losing it to the pesky fire types... but i know it is amazing regardless.
    the only ones on the list i made i have used are metagross (PO team only) excadrill and heatran (PO team only)...
    but i know for a fact they are all very viable pokemon.
    @your boss: you dont need to specify what colors or region you will be using :P
    you will chose that when the tourney is announced.
    Last edited by joej m; 4th January 2013 at 10:58 PM.

sorry misread by me
    but anyway i have never actually used a scizor because i always end up losing it to the pesky fire types... but i know it is amazing regardless.
    the only ones on the list i made i have used are metagross (PO team only) excadrill and heatran (PO team only)...
    but i know for a fact they are all very viable pokemon.
    You haven't used scizor!:0

Well I also like running choice banded metagross and I can KO ground and dragon types with Ice punch. Also with metagross I love the fact that meteor mash can raise you Atk.

Credit to me

I meant that i had already caught them, but they had poor IVs, and nature in thudurus' case.

For the current topic, technician scizor and bug bite were made for vgc, since it stops many berry users, and is a solid cresselia counter, and the growing number of harvest exeggutors. Meta gross is amasing, since it can boost its stats, and not be affected by foes stat lowering.

To be perfectly honest, I've never used any Steel Type in double battling before. x) I find that water types are much more effective for countering Dragons, personally. Besides that, I'm already rather vulnerable to fighting types so I don't really consider putting Steels on my team very often.

That being said, I am in the process of acquiring a good Metagross for that 4th Gen Sundance team I mentioned before. It looks like that thing will benefit pretty nicely from rain without becoming overly dependent on it.
    Other than that thing, about the only Steel types I've ever seriously considered using in doubles are Jirachi (though unfortunately it's banned from VGCs so I probably won't ever use one seriously now) and Klinklang. The only problem with Klinklang was it's ability. I could never figure out a good partner for it that could both activate its ability and help it achieve some coverage. But now that Clear Body is released, I may just end up giving that thing a try soon. Clear Body really opens up its options for partners, so it seems to be way more viable now. Abusing Shift Gear with a physically-oriented set including Gear Grind and Wild Charge sounds like a pretty fun idea.

My Youtube battle videos

wait... you are making a team for 4th gen games? or a team with only 4th gen and bellow pokemon?
    if it is for a 4th gen game then who are you gonna battle with? >_>

anyway how do water types counter dragons for you? i know there are a lot of bulky ones like gastrodon etc... and they get ice beam a lot of the time but dragons can be really bulky sometimes so usually 3 ice beams will KO and they would have KO'd your pokemon before that... EXPLAIN x)

Drem yol lok, greetings. I am LordVader2719, competitive in both singles and doubles. Doubles tend to be more fun, however. I am the leader of the Black Ice Clan, and a member of one of the few official video game leagues. My favorite VGC Pokémon is Hydreigon because of how well it has done for me. Single or double, it usually finds a way into my teams. My favorite Pokémon is Glaceon because it's an Ice Eeveelution. I don't think I need to say more than that.
    Why I love double battles is hard to say. I hated double battles until I got Pokémon Colosseum. After playing it, double battles grew on me until they became my favorite.
    I am able to RNG abuse. However, due to time restraints, I do not like to RNG for anyone outside of my clan. I am willing to RNG if it's something I can easily get.

Spoiler:- Credits:

Black Ice Xat
    Black Ice Youtube Channel

My Youtube Channel
    Battle videos and card pack openings

Soul Bound Studios Channel
    Destinies Divided (Star Wars fan fic) and Duster Brothers (original)

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader2719 View Post
    Drem yol lok, greetings. I am LordVader2719, competitive in both singles and doubles. Doubles tend to be more fun, however. I am the leader of the Black Ice Clan, and a member of one of the few official video game leagues. My favorite VGC Pokémon is Hydreigon because of how well it has done for me. Single or double, it usually finds a way into my teams. My favorite Pokémon is Glaceon because it's an Ice Eeveelution. I don't think I need to say more than that.
    Why I love double battles is hard to say. I hated double battles until I got Pokémon Colosseum. After playing it, double battles grew on me until they became my favorite.
    I am able to RNG abuse. However, due to time restraints, I do not like to RNG for anyone outside of my clan. I am willing to RNG if it's something I can easily get.
    Accepted!

Hello! Welcome to Club Double Trouble! I'm Gothic-Gothorita, a Moderator here! Enjoy your stay!

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

wait... you are making a team for 4th gen games? or a team with only 4th gen and bellow pokemon?
    if it is for a 4th gen game then who are you gonna battle with? >_>

anyway how do water types counter dragons for you? i know there are a lot of bulky ones like gastrodon etc... and they get ice beam a lot of the time but dragons can be really bulky sometimes so usually 3 ice beams will KO and they would have KO'd your pokemon before that... EXPLAIN x)
    Yes, I'm making a team for 4th gen games to use on Pokemon Battle Revolution. ^^ Actually, a fair number (not a huge number, but a fair number) of people do still use it, and at least one of my friends on Serebii owns it and is always looking for more people to battle. And when I can't find real people to battle with, there's always new in-game challengers I can battle with in doubles format. (: It's not a super-serious team, but it's a fun one and it should be interesting to see how it works out. It's very different than any other team I've put together.

I'll admit that Steels are pretty nicely set up to counter most dragons, especially physical ones that are not named Flygon, but I just find Water types to be so consistently good at countering Dragons that I've never wanted or needed to thrown a Steel type into my team. The explanation, I guess, is that your average water-type can outstall pretty much any dragon I can think of (with possibly the exception of something less offensive, like status-shuffling Dragonite. In which case, trust something like Sableye to shut that down for you). Between ice beam, above-average bulk, access to plenty of status moves (including recovery, boosting, or status-infliction moves), plus the fact that few Dragons carry electric or grass attacks, Water types, if properly played, can break a Dragon's momentum fairly easily, then weaken and KO it. What also sets them apart from Steel types, in my eyes, is the fact that most Water types are not weak to/resist Ground or Fire type moves, both of which are relatively common on the Dragons I've encountered, and they resist Kingdra's secondary STAB as well as its Ice coverage move.

In short, I've never used a Steel type on a doubles team, and I've never really felt the need to have one in this Dragon-infested metagame. Weird, eh?
    Last edited by zozo; 5th January 2013 at 2:34 PM.

My Youtube battle videos

oh right i forgot about battle revolution!
    it was my first experience with competitive battling...
    except since the rules are all whack on it it was pretty easy to win without EV trained pokemon...
    i used the event darkrai and dark voided everything! xD
    then i just used an arceus to take care of everything with dragon type judgments and fire blasts and what not :P
    now i know that that was cheap and the rules are stupid.

Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast