Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667 LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1656

Thread: Club Double Trouble (a double battling community)

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    What set is rotom. If you have a water move on gyarados, even if it is bulky, you can add hidden power grass. if it is the same set as your last one, try this one:

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 236 HP / 88 Def / 180 SDef / 4 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power Grass
    - Will-O-Wisp

This set was from here: http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/doub...is-from-japan/ , but I changed thunder wave to HP grass. it hits gastro relativity strong and hurts. then with this, you can bring in scrafty better. use an EV set of 252HP/244att/12SPdef with sassy or careful nature and chople berry (to survive CCs and meteors). also, if intimidate isn't sitting happy, Try using moxie, to come in, revenge kill with fake out, and then hurt opponents
    Right now, I'm running this:
    Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Levitate
    Level: 50
    EVs: 236 HP / 12 Def / 76 SAtk / 180 SDef / 4 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hydro Pump
    - Protect

With the WoW damage, I really want protect so I have the option of stalling out the damage from WoW. And, HP Grass is only really useful for Gastrodons. But, it has no real other use, so I'm worried about adding it on Rotom since Protect really does come in handy. It also helps me stall out my own trick room if I really get into that situation.

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

Quote Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post
    Sorry for spamming this thread for getting help, guys Dx
    But, I really want to get this team right lol, so I've got another questions~

So, the team has been working out really well so far with the rhyperior, but in battles I can't find the freedom to use both Rhyperior and Cresselia to set up trick room. It denies me of some coverage, so I decided to go for Gyarados > Rhyperior. It gives me some additional speed control, and can tank hits pretty nicely. And then I realized that my team just cannot resist Dark and Ghost, and it looked like a Hydreigon can easily rip me to shreds since my team is actually relatively slow. So, to help with this problem, I'm considering adding in a Scrafty > Ludicolo. So, the team synergy (type wise) looks like this without scrafty:
        Spoiler:

And, like this with scrafty:
        Spoiler:

So, I've tried thinking of some pros and cons for this change and came up with this:

Pros:
    - Scrafty provides extra intimidate support
    - It still has fake out
    - Helps nullify sand teams with both intimidate and fighting coverage
    - Helps me get rid of 3 water coverage Pokemon, which I really don't think is much of a problem, anyway.
    - Provides the coverage of Dark and Ghost types
    - Removes the poison weakness and a Bug weakness at the cost of getting a fighting weakness
    - Uses Trick Room better than Ludicolo does

Cons:
    - Fake out is ALOT slower
    - I lose Leech Seed
    - Rain becomes quite a bit harder to take on without Ludicolo
    - Do I really need 2 Intimidate supports?
    - Adds in a fighting weakness
    - No grass moves + 2 Pokemon that can't hit Gastrodon at all = hard time against Gastro, and to a similar extent Quagsire

Ok, so the question really is, is it worth adding in Scrafty > Ludicolo? I'll pretty much have a bit more trouble against rain with Scrafty and less trouble against Hydreigon.
    Well, I can verify Gyarados and Scrafty make an excellent dual-intimidating core. They compliment each other very well. It would help to know what set your running on Gyarados though. I'm guessing Icy Wind's on there since you mentioned speed control. In any case, Gastrodon does present a problem if you forgo Ludicolo (as it does to most teams not carrying a grass move somewhere, there's a reason my Crobat ran Giga Drain). A well played Gastrodon could steamroll this team with a few boosts or, heaven forbid, used with a rain team. Gyarados and Rotom can tank anything it can throw at you, but they can't do much back and will be easily outlasted by a defensive variant. Keeping Skill Swap on Cresselia could be a solution. Then you could steal potential Storm Drain boosts and boost Cress further with your own water attacks. After a few boosts Cress can take on Gastrodon with relative ease and hit everything else all the harder. Skill Swap also adds some versatility to your team allowing you to mess with opponent's other abilities or resetting your own Intimidates. Better than placing a move on your team exclusively for handling one pokemon. HP fire isn't really all that necessary anyways. Between Scizor being bogged down by Intimidates, Will-o-wisp crippling it's damage output, and having plenty of pokemon that resist it's STAB's; it really shouldn't be that much of an issue.
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershark View Post
    Well, I can verify Gyarados and Scrafty make an excellent dual-intimidating core. They compliment each other very well. It would help to know what set your running on Gyarados though. I'm guessing Icy Wind's on there since you mentioned speed control. In any case, Gastrodon does present a problem if you forgo Ludicolo (as it does to most teams not carrying a grass move somewhere, there's a reason my Crobat ran Giga Drain). A well played Gastrodon could steamroll this team with a few boosts or, heaven forbid, used with a rain team. Gyarados and Rotom can tank anything it can throw at you, but they can't do much back and will be easily outlasted by a defensive variant. Keeping Skill Swap on Cresselia could be a solution. Then you could steal potential Storm Drain boosts and boost Cress further with your own water attacks. After a few boosts Cress can take on Gastrodon with relative ease and hit everything else all the harder. Skill Swap also adds some versatility to your team allowing you to mess with opponent's other abilities or resetting your own Intimidates. Better than placing a move on your team exclusively for handling one pokemon. HP fire isn't really all that necessary anyways. Between Scizor being bogged down by Intimidates, Will-o-wisp crippling it's damage output, and having plenty of pokemon that resist it's STAB's; it really shouldn't be that much of an issue.
    Yeah, I probably should have posted that I got rid of HP Fire after adding in Gyarados. But, the skill swap is a brilliant idea! I didn't even think of it lol. Thanks!
    And, Gyarados runs Waterfall, Thunder Wave, Protect, Taunt and it's just the bulky spread I copied off of smogon. I'm trying to play around with the GYarados to see which attacks are important to live, and what Pokemon should it focus on killing. I'll try out Skill Swap!
    Thanks again

Yeah, I probably should have posted that I got rid of HP Fire after adding in Gyarados. But, the skill swap is a brilliant idea! I didn't even think of it lol. Thanks!
    And, Gyarados runs Waterfall, Thunder Wave, Protect, Taunt and it's just the bulky spread I copied off of smogon. I'm trying to play around with the GYarados to see which attacks are important to live, and what Pokemon should it focus on killing. I'll try out Skill Swap!
    Thanks again
    Yeah, Skill Swap is probably the most fun move to use in doubles. It can add a whole 'nother layer of depth to a team.

Gyarados's moveset looks pretty good. I went with Icy Wind>T-wave, but then the team I was using had problems with Scarfed Landorus-T's. A bulky spread works well too. It'll help reduce some of that residual damage accumulated from defensive switches. Just make sure to double check it on a damage calculator, since Smogon usually doesn't account for VGC threats or calculate EV's for lvl 50. How does your team do against opposing Rotom-Ws? Usually if a team has trouble with Gastrodon, Rotom-W is an issue too. Particularly if your running a Gyarados.

I'm actually not quite sure. So far, Rotom-W wasn't really an issue. I generally try to slowly take it out with Cresselia, Scrafty, or my own Rotom-W. It's not easy to take down, but outside of Gyarados and Gliscor, it really isn't too big of a threat. It could just be that I haven't seen too many well played ones out there because I really have no clue on how well I can play around one.

EDIT: With all of your help, my team is near complete! I need to start building it soon tho >.< (Does anyone have a Modest flawless Cresselia and a Careful flawless Scraggy with appropriate egg moves provided by my team below, btw?)

Ok! So, here's the team! I'm up for any changes. I really don't mind replacing Pokemon as long as it strengthens my team even further! Once again, all advice is appreciated. (I want to make an RMT, but I don't have the time to make a quality rmt, so I'm just going to post here lol)

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Shreyas; 12th September 2013 at 9:59 AM.

I'm actually not quite sure. So far, Rotom-W wasn't really an issue. I generally try to slowly take it out with Cresselia, Scrafty, or my own Rotom-W. It's not easy to take down, but outside of Gyarados and Gliscor, it really isn't too big of a threat. It could just be that I haven't seen too many well played ones out there because I really have no clue on how well I can play around one.

EDIT: With all of your help, my team is near complete! I need to start building it soon tho >.< (Does anyone have a Modest flawless Cresselia and a Careful flawless Scraggy with appropriate egg moves provided by my team below, btw?)

Ok! So, here's the team! I'm up for any changes. I really don't mind replacing Pokemon as long as it strengthens my team even further! Once again, all advice is appreciated. (I want to make an RMT, but I don't have the time to make a quality rmt, so I'm just going to post here lol)

Spoiler:
    As for the scrafty set, use 252HP, 244att, 12 spdef with a careful nature and chople (you can move more out of att for bulk). Also, have you tried DDdos instead of support dos?? It still counters volc, but can outspeed and become a very large threat.

Question for everyone. The ability motor drive does it get a boost once or twice from discharge? Wo seeing if it acts like storm drain in doubles...
    Old Man
    X fc: 5129-1530-5385 (Skillz)
    Fairy Safari
    Kirlia, swirlix, clefairy

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Question for everyone. The ability motor drive does it get a boost once or twice from discharge? Wo seeing if it acts like storm drain in doubles...
    Motor Drive doesn't work like Storm drain (I think you may be getting it mixed up with lightning rod). You only get the boost one, and even if it was like storm drain, spread moves still hit the target, even if it has a redirecting ability. So in answering your question, Once.

That's what I thought just wasn't sure. Thanks
    Old Man
    X fc: 5129-1530-5385 (Skillz)
    Fairy Safari
    Kirlia, swirlix, clefairy

Everyone must be really enjoying X and Y, seeing as the club is a ghost town anymore. What do you all think of the new games so far? Any new strategies for doubles to watch out for yet?

Hey. I thought the club was not active any longer so that's why I've not been posting.

So far I'm enjoying X and Y and I'm exploring the new possibilities for sun teams but on singles. Due to the lack of a Heat Wave tutor, I will need Typhlosion in December to properly build a team around it for Doubles.

Anyway, two things worth noticing about that. Meowstic male gets a great support movepool for Doubles, from Helping Hand to Misty Terrain, along with Sunny Day/Rain Dance, Dual Screens and Quick Guard. Other weather inducer that pops to mind is Whimsicott, now with its Fairy type, helping check the everpresent Dragons and Tyranitar.

Mega Charizard Y is definitely an option as a Mega, because it learns Heat Wave along with Drought. Houndoom falls behind because if I want shear power I'm better off running Typhlosion with Eruption saving the mega for Charizard or other things, since Houndoom would need support of another equally strong sweeper to take down the second element on the other side, as it has no spread moves.

These are all theories. Haven't tested it yet. Also, I'd like to know if anyone has an idea in how to fit Dephox in Doubles.
    Last edited by Fire Hero; 28th October 2013 at 8:43 AM.

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8099-9870 - Nuno

Super Secret Base | Double Battles | QR Code

Beta Competition Masters Division: W25 L9 - Rating 1736 - Ranking 100th
    June International Challenge Masters Division: W10 L7 - Rating 1544 - Ranking 2784th

Overall WiFi Double Battle Record: W65 L33

There was talk of abandoning the club in favor of the Nintendo Formats section, but things haven't been particularly active there either. As for myself, I've been busy starting a new job for the last month, so I haven't had much time to be on here.

There are some perks to having such a time consuming job though. Namely finally being able afford a 3DS and some new games.

All the new Prankster's and support moves are going to make the doubles metagame very interesting. The new Protect style moves alone will throw things for a loop. I'm only past the first gym, so I'm still finding things out. Mega Charizard would probably be better than Houndoom. Then you could add in DW Venusuar for a potent FireRed/LeafGreen starter combo and use pledge moves since they're actually viable now. Venusaur gets Earthquake too, so there's another spread move for ya.

Actually Venusaur and Mega Charizard Y seem a very good combo right now, with pledge moves and their two abilities made for each other. Earthquake is nice too since it won't affect Charizard, so that may be a combo worth trying.

From my experience though, leading with my main sweepers can give me a lt of 4-0 wins but can also KO me from the start, since Chlorophyll won't be active and there's a niche that can be explored by opponent rock moves. It's a matter of testing and trying. Tailwind support can be a great gift to Charizard and Typhlosion and I especially like Whimsicott for that job with its new fairy type.

Another note is that Mega Charizard Y wins the weather war 100% of the time except when facing the other weather Megas (Tyranitar and Abomasnow), because it only gains Drought AFTER evolving.

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8099-9870 - Nuno

Super Secret Base | Double Battles | QR Code

Beta Competition Masters Division: W25 L9 - Rating 1736 - Ranking 100th
    June International Challenge Masters Division: W10 L7 - Rating 1544 - Ranking 2784th

Overall WiFi Double Battle Record: W65 L33

I'm really enjoying the games so far! It looks like Grass has become a bit more potent this gen, I've been thinking of something like a Florges + Mega Venusaur lead, since Florges can abuse a bunch of Terrain moves while saying alive with some fairly impressive bulk (considering it's a pixie that invaded a iris stalk).

But there seems to be a lot to choose from. Gale Wings looks like it'll be a lot of fun to play with, as does Gooey. I've beaten the game and I'm exploring the Looker missions while doing some shiny hunts, but I still feel like there's a TON of stuff I need to learn.

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Hero View Post
    Actually Venusaur and Mega Charizard Y seem a very good combo right now, with pledge moves and their two abilities made for each other. Earthquake is nice too since it won't affect Charizard, so that may be a combo worth trying.

From my experience though, leading with my main sweepers can give me a lt of 4-0 wins but can also KO me from the start, since Chlorophyll won't be active and there's a niche that can be explored by opponent rock moves. It's a matter of testing and trying. Tailwind support can be a great gift to Charizard and Typhlosion and I especially like Whimsicott for that job with its new fairy type.

Another note is that Mega Charizard Y wins the weather war 100% of the time except when facing the other weather Megas (Tyranitar and Abomasnow), because it only gains Drought AFTER evolving.
    You could always keep them in the back and then bring the hammer down after your leads have softened up the other team a little.

Quote Originally Posted by zozo View Post
    I'm really enjoying the games so far! It looks like Grass has become a bit more potent this gen, I've been thinking of something like a Florges + Mega Venusaur lead, since Florges can abuse a bunch of Terrain moves while saying alive with some fairly impressive bulk (considering it's a pixie that invaded a iris stalk).

But there seems to be a lot to choose from. Gale Wings looks like it'll be a lot of fun to play with, as does Gooey. I've beaten the game and I'm exploring the Looker missions while doing some shiny hunts, but I still feel like there's a TON of stuff I need to learn.
    Exactly! It's a whole new game. One of the biggest problems I've been having when trying to teambuild is I keep forgetting there's a new type on the block. So far I've been thinking of something with Mega Tyranitar, Tyrantrum and Aegislash. They seem like they'd mesh together really well on a sand team. Still working my way through the game though. Just beat the third gym (Mega Blastoise is a beast!).

My FC's 5000-3083-7859 by the way. I've been told my Friend Safari's Poison typed with only Cascoon and Swalot so far.
    Last edited by Silvershark; 4th November 2013 at 8:45 AM.

Well am fenniken am compitive am hard working i would like to join
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/nathan/Downloads/dedenne.png[/IMG] iris : such a egg badges : Hana Badge.
    I keep my friend in my heart as close as gold when my soul truns silver and my memories are alway black and white i love everone xtraspecial my road was platuim and sappirie and voloconos were fire red grass leafgreen

Hi everyone! It's like a graveyard in here! Let's change that! x3
    So..has anyone tried HA(Friend Guard) Vivillion support? It works wonders~
    What new HAs are your favorites to use?

my xat avvie (c) me
    {~Friend Safari : GHOST : Pumpkaboo | Golurk | Lampent~}
    {~Total self-caught shinies: 94~}
    {~Most recent shiny : random shiny Wurmple(OR 1 RE!)~}
    {~3DS FC : 4012-3813-9306 IGN Emii(Y version/OR version)~}

Join TEF in the Guild section! Click here!

Although I haven't used it at all yet, and have yet to see one outside of singles, I fear Talonflame. It isn't difficult to take out, but there also isn't anything fast enough that can Taunt it. It will get a Tailwind off, and then will suicide bomb with either Brave Bird or Flare Blitz. While it isn't particular dangerous outside of singles, Tailwind support is invaluable.

Spoiler:- Credits:

Black Ice Xat
    Black Ice Youtube Channel

My Youtube Channel
    Battle videos and card pack openings

Soul Bound Studios Channel
    Destinies Divided (Star Wars fan fic) and Duster Brothers (original)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda Garchomp View Post
    At first I was pretty excited about Gooey and Aroma Veil, but in practice I really like Gale Wings. Priority Brave Bird is just too strong. I really like Protean too. Unfortunately, Greninja's really frail for doubles.

Quote Originally Posted by fenniken View Post
    Well am fenniken am compitive am hard working i would like to join
    Hahaha I'd love to accept you into the club, but you're going to have to reread the first post to see what the rules are for joining. Try again and you'll be in. (:

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda Garchomp View Post
    Oooohhh… I mean, Gale Wings is probably the overall best new ability, but I really like Mega Blastoise's & Clawitzer's Mega Launcher. The moves that work with it are so cool, making even Water Pulse have a pretty huge damage output, especially on these two Pokemon. So, considering how many OHKO's my Mega Blastoise has gotten so far, I'm going with Mega Launcher <3 (even though Gale Wings is probably the best haha)

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

Hey, this club's been pretty dead for a while! Are we giving up on it? It's a new generation, with new competitions to look forward to!

EDIT: FYI, posted the new Beta Competition Thread in the Nintendo Formats thread. Keep an eye out!
    Last edited by jstinftw!; 1st February 2014 at 2:55 AM.

Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by jstinftw! View Post
    Hey, this club's been pretty dead for a while! Are we giving up on it? It's a new generation, with new competitions to look forward to!
    I'm not giving up on it. I just don't post much outside of my Guild.

There have been a LOT of VGC tournaments here in Utah. There's been one almost every week (there's even going to be two tomorrow!). I just wish I could make to all of them.

I've noticed a few things about the metagame: Mega Kangaskhan is very common and broken, no one knows how to use Talonflame, Electric Terrain is beautiful. and my team isn't good enough.

I'm working on a team with Mega Manectric (it's stronger, faster, and bulkier than Heliolisk) with Electric Terrain. I'm not really sure what to use with it, though...

Black Ice Xat

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader2719 View Post
    I'm not giving up on it. I just don't post much outside of my Guild.

There have been a LOT of VGC tournaments here in Utah. There's been one almost every week (there's even going to be two tomorrow!). I just wish I could make to all of them.

I've noticed a few things about the metagame: Mega Kangaskhan is very common and broken, no one knows how to use Talonflame, Electric Terrain is beautiful. and my team isn't good enough.

I'm working on a team with Mega Manectric (it's stronger, faster, and bulkier than Heliolisk) with Electric Terrain. I'm not really sure what to use with it, though...
    Hahaha Wi-Fi tournaments have been crazy up the wazzoo too!

Yeah, Mega Kanga is a huge stopper in VGC. Not too hard to play around, but you NEED to deal with it. Your observation on Talonflame would be correct hahaha. And I haven't seen any usage of Electric Terrain. What's so good about it? It stops sleep but, doesn't Fairy Terrain basically do the same thing, except also stops confusion, paralysis, etc, and drops Dragon attacks by 50%? Obviously Manectric doesn't get that though, so ET would have to suffice. Have you been seeing a lot of sleep? I know Amoonguss is a pain, but have you seen a huge showing of it?

As for what to pair with Manectric, I would suggest something with some bulk, that can take hits that normally would be aimed at Manectric. Maybe a flying, or Levitating Pokemon so that Garchomp will EQ into nothing. Having a Gyarados is pretty rad as well, as Lightningrod Manectric will stop Rotom from being able to T-Bolt it in the face so long as you don't Mega Evolve it before taking out Rotom.

Quote Originally Posted by jstinftw! View Post
    Hahaha Wi-Fi tournaments have been crazy up the wazzoo too!

Yeah, Mega Kanga is a huge stopper in VGC. Not too hard to play around, but you NEED to deal with it. Your observation on Talonflame would be correct hahaha. And I haven't seen any usage of Electric Terrain. What's so good about it? It stops sleep but, doesn't Fairy Terrain basically do the same thing, except also stops confusion, paralysis, etc, and drops Dragon attacks by 50%? Obviously Manectric doesn't get that though, so ET would have to suffice. Have you been seeing a lot of sleep? I know Amoonguss is a pain, but have you seen a huge showing of it?

As for what to pair with Manectric, I would suggest something with some bulk, that can take hits that normally would be aimed at Manectric. Maybe a flying, or Levitating Pokemon so that Garchomp will EQ into nothing. Having a Gyarados is pretty rad as well, as Lightningrod Manectric will stop Rotom from being able to T-Bolt it in the face so long as you don't Mega Evolve it before taking out Rotom.
    Sleep isn't that common, but it is seen from time to time. I like to be prepared.

The reason to use Electric Terrain over Misty Terrain is because it doesn't stop other statuses. I can still paralyze my opponent (I've also been freezing my opponents a lot lately with Ice Fang). It also boost the power of grounded Electric attacks (which Rotom is not), which is nice.

Black Ice Xat

My Youtube Channel

Hi, I am Mr.Y and I wish to become a
    competitive double battler!
    -I don't have a favorite VGC pokémon, there are too many pokémon there that I like but overall I can say that T-tar is really great, specially with sandstorm boosting its sp.def.
    -Sceptile is my favorite pokémon overall
    -I like that doubles have another layer of strategy that singles doesn't have.
    -I can IV breed some pokés if anyone wants but I'll be kinda busy this week breeding.

Credit: AstralShadow (Trinity userbar) & Kida-Ookami (Trinity badge)

Credit: FairyWitch and Enchanted Hollow Graphics for the Pokegyms userbar and Azulart for the Pokegyms gym badge

FC: 4897 6238 4902

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667 LastLast