Thread: Rate my FireRed E4 team?

Default Rate my FireRed E4 team?

Hey guys, like Im doing with Emerald, im going to restart a FireRed file. This is for the Elite 4 only, and im not worried about the sevii islands at all. I want to know if i can get any improvements. Thanks.

Charizard (Mixed)
    Flamethrower
    Steel Wing
    Fly
    Dragon Claw
    *Steel Wings for those nasty rock types

Raichu (Mixed)
    T Bolt
    Dig
    Iron Tail
    Brick Break
    *I know its dangerous but not replacing Dig

Nidoking (Physical)
    Earthquake
    MegaHorn
    Shadow Ball
    Strength
    *Was considering sludge Bomb but Megahorn is effective on grass, and stronger

Vaporeon (Special)
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Bite
    Filler (Probably Waterfall)

Jynx (Special)
    Ice Punch/Beam
    Water Pulse
    Psychic
    (Exclusive kiss attack-forgot the name)

Hitmonlee (Physical- debating if I should keep it)
    Hi Jump Kick
    Mega Kick/Punch
    Rock Slide
    Bulk Up/Meditate/Focus Energy ?

Tell me what I can do to improve it. I havent started the file yet, so nature recommendations? What I should replace? Should I dump Hitmonlee for another physical sweeper? Im only offensive, defense is a second level priority. I also like to keep the most coverages on my pokemon(which is why jynx has water pulse). So uh, there ya go
    I AM NERDZ! YOU SHALL OBEY ME OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES!

Hope you like my rate.

I wouldn't try to defeat a Pokemon which STAB move will cause 4x normal damage. Replace Steel Wing with Swords Dance.

Dig? A Pokemon that has dug a hole underground will receive double damage if foe uses Earthquake or Magnitude. Replace Dig with Double Team or Thunder Wave.

Replace Strength with Sludge Bomb. SB is STAB and stronger than Strength. Catch a slave out for Strength and other HM's.

You don't need to teach Waterfall if it already knows Surf. Teach Acid Armor, Rest or Toxic.

And you're in doubt whether you put Ice Beam or Ice Punch? Ice Beam!!!! And the exclusive kiss attack name is "Lovely Kiss".

Between Bulk Up (raises Atk and Def in one stage) and Meditate (rasies Atk in one stage), you pick the better one: Bulk Up. Between Bulk Up and Focus Energy, I would pick Bulk Up because your Hitmonlee isn't running any move with high critical hit ratio.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 23rd December 2012 at 2:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Hope you like my rate.

I wouldn't try to defeat a Pokemon which STAB move will cause 4x normal damage. Replace Steel Wing with Swords Dance.

Dig? A Pokemon that has dug a hole underground will receive double damage if foe uses Earthquake or Magnitude. Replace Dig with Double Team or Thunder Wave.

Replace Strength with Sludge Bomb. SB is STAB and stronger than Strength. Catch a slave out for Strength and other HM's.

You don't need to teach Waterfall if it already knows Surf. Teach Acid Armor, Rest or Toxic.

And you're in doubt whether you put Ice Beam or Ice Punch? Ice Beam!!!! And the exclusive kiss attack name is "Lovely Kiss".

Between Bulk Up (raises Atk and Def in one stage) and Meditate (rasies Atk in one stage), you pick the better one: Bulk Up. Between Bulk Up and Focus Energy, I would pick Bulk Up because your Hitmonlee isn't running any move with high critical hit ratio.
    Thanks but ill tell u what im going on.
    For Charizard, its nice to have some type coverage just in case im out of hyper potions and the like.Raichu, i know the risks but ive played the game so much that i know what has earthquake/magnitude or not, and believe me, ill avoid confrontation.For Jynx, i was debating bcause the game corner is hell and i dont want to grind money either to get 1 TM. U get where im coming from, dont u? Oh and thanks, Ive always confused it with sweet kiss and wasnt sure what to type. I wasnt clear on what meditate did so thanks, and Nidoking probably would be better off with Sludgebomb.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosPMC View Post
    Charizard (Mixed)
    Flamethrower
    Steel Wing
    Aerial Ace
    Dragon Claw
    *Steel Wings for those nasty rock types

OR

Charizard
    Flamethrower
    Sunny Day
    SolarBeam

Dragon Claw

Although I personally like Aerial Ace more than Fly, I get the annoyance of always getting a Pokémon out of the box.
    I honestly prefer a Sunny Day Charizard. For example: Sunny Day, Flamethrower, SolarBeam, Dragon Claw. But that's just my opinion, this Charizard is great like it is too.

Raichu (Mixed)
    T Bolt
    Thunder Wave
    Iron Tail
    Brick Break
    *I know its dangerous but not replacing Dig

Why do you need Dig when you have Brick Break? Thunder Wave can be vital sometimes.

Nidoking (Physical)
    Earthquake
    MegaHorn
    Shadow Ball
    Sludge Bomb

I prefer Sludge Bomb over Strength.

Vaporeon (Special)
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Bite
    Rest/Toxic

Waterfall is pretty useless when you have Surf.

Jynx (Special)
    Ice Beam
    Water Pulse
    Psychic
    Lovely Kiss

Ice Beam is better than Ice Punch. I also assume you mean Lovely Kiss since that's better than Sweet kiss IMO.

Hitmonlee (Physical- debating if I should keep it)
    Hi Jump Kick
    Strength
    Rock Slide
    Bulk Up

No use for Mega Punch when you have Strength. Also no use for Meditate when you have Bulk Up, and Focus Energy is kinda meh.
    Changes in Bold.
    Last edited by ★ Lucario ★; 27th December 2012 at 2:59 PM.
    Click on these Pokémon to make them happy and healthy!:

Spoiler:- Credits:

Pokémon Red Water-monotype challenge team:

Pokémon Emerald Water-monotype challenge team:
    Pokémon Fire Red Nuzlocke challenge team:

I suppose I could try to get back into rating teams.

Charizard
    Hasty/Naive / Mild/Rash
    ~ Flamethrower
    ~ Dragon Claw
    ~ Fly
    ~ Filler

Charizard lacks a wide and diverse movepool, but that is not much of a problem. Until the III Gen the Fire+Dragon movecombination is resisted by absolutely nothing, so it's all you need. Fly is for convenience and really just a filler move. The same goes for the last slot, pick whatever move suits you best. Hasty/Naive boosts your speed, at the expense of (S)Def. Mild/Rash boosts your S.Atk, at the expense of (S)Def.

Raichu
    Lonely/Naughty
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Brick Break
    ~ Return
    ~ Thunder Wave

Thunderbolt is obvious STAB. Brick Break and Return are there for means of coverage. That's pretty much all there is to say. Lonely/Naughty to boost Attack, since that is most needed. T-Bolt receives a STAB boost, Thunder Wave can guarantee outspeeding, but Raichu has no way to boost attack, outside of natures.

Nidoking
    Adamant / Jolly
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Sludge Bomb / Megahorn
    ~ Rock Slide
    ~ Shadow Ball / Megahorn

Earthquake is an extremely powerful STAB move. Rock Slide gives you QuakEdge. Sludge Bomb is another STAB move that does cover the Grass type. Megahorn also covers the Grass type, and allows you to hit Dark and Psychic types for SE damage. Shadow Ball hits Psychic and Ghost for SE damage. Adamant boosts Attack, Jolly boosts Speed.

Vaporeon
    Modest
    ~ Surf
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Bite / Wish

Surf is STAB, Ice Beam for coverage. Toxic to deal damage over time. Bite is a filler move, but special. Wish allows for a more supporting role, as well as extending the Toxic-stall. It does, however, require breeding. Modest to boost special attack.

Jynx
    Timid
    ~ Calm Mind
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Water Pulse / Lovely Kiss

Calm Mind boosts Special Attack. Psychic and Ice Beam are STAB. When boosted by Calm Mind, Water Pulse can pack a punch. Lovely Kiss puts the opponent to sleep, but be mindful, it has 75 accuracy. Timid boosts speed.

Hitmonlee
    Adamant / Jolly
    ~ Hi Jump Kick / Brick Break
    ~ Bulk Up
    ~ Rock Slide
    ~ Return

Bulk Up boosts both Attack and Defence. Adamant nature if you prefer power, Jolly if you want some more speed. Hi Jump Kick if you want to take the risk, otherwise just run Brick Break. Return is coverage. You can only use Rock Slide once, so either on Nidoking or Hitmonlee.

For Charizard, its nice to have some type coverage just in case im out of hyper potions
    First, Charizard doesn't have the bonus STAB of steel moves.
    Second, rock type Pokemons have tendency to have huge Defense.
    Third, most of rock Pokemons are also ground type, then steel move will cause normal damage.

I wrote 3 cons to not teach Steel Wing for Charizard. But it is your moveset, you teach whatever you want.

Raichu, i know the risks but ive played the game so much that i know what has earthquake/magnitude or not, and believe me, ill avoid confrontation.
    Earthquake is one of the most used moves. 99,99% of the teams have at least one Pokemon that knows Earthquake. Teaching Dig may be good throughout the game, but against other human players you'll be in trouble.

For Jynx, i was debating bcause the game corner is hell and i dont want to grind money either to get 1 TM.
    Ice Punch is 75 power base and Ice Beam is 95. While you gather some money, keep Ice Punch. Take Amulet Coin to help on the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    First, Charizard doesn't have the bonus STAB of steel moves.
    Second, rock type Pokemons have tendency to have huge Defense.
    Third, most of rock Pokemons are also ground type, then steel move will cause normal damage.

I wrote 3 cons to not teach Steel Wing for Charizard. But it is your moveset, you teach whatever you want.
    Steel actually hits Ground for neutral damage, meaning that you do hit Rock/Ground Pokémon for Super Effective damage. Ground does however score a Super Effective hit on Steel, which is what may have caused your confusion.

Hey there,
    I happen to be training Jynx in Fire Red, and i strongly recommend following this moveset

Psychic
    Ice Beam Screw the Game Corner, you can find Ice beam in the Seafoam Islands
    Attract
    Fake Tears/Lovely Kiss

I think you should kick Water Pulse to the curb. You have it to combat Fire-types, am I correct? I know my Jynx enough to know which areas it lacks in, and that is combating Super effectives. You already have a Vaporeon on your team that not only has terrific Special Defense, but IS SUPER EFFECTIVE against Fire. Let it do its job, don't take such unnecessary risks.

As for Hitmonlee (Which I train also) It is a great Physical sweeper with amazing Attack stats.... BUT, has terrible Physical defenses, so keep that in mind. My Hitmonlee fits in so well in my team because where its defense lacks, its speed excels. Hitmonlee is meant to absolutely cripple or K.O its opponents in a very timely manner. If it lingers or falters, it could sustaining large damage. As you said, since Defense is a secondary priority, maybe Hitmonlee will fit in your team like it did in mine. The moveset I personally have on mine is:

High Jump Kick
    Rock Slide
    Focus Energy (Maybe Bulk Up, you decide)
    Brick Break (For those pesky Reflects and Light Screens)

I discourage you from using Mega Kick/Punch as it is not reliable

Raichu
    *Sigh* I really, REALLY wish you wouldn't keep Dig.... Follow Mystical Jackal's advice about Raichu 6 comments above me , he knows what he's talking about. Thunder Wave would really do wonders for you, but if you insist, then whatever.

Charziard : (I train that too, go figure) your moveset is balanced and good, but Steel Wing is a no no. I know you want to take care of those pesky Rock types, but Steel Wing has a 90% accuracy. If you miss, That Golem/Onix/Rock thing can, and will; faint your Charziard. It isn't even like Rock is normally effective, or 2x times, but 4x as effective! At this point, a simple hit with Rollout can OHKO you beloved starter (which would really suck). If you choose to ignore all of our advice against Dig and Steel Wing, then so be it. Just make sure you know EXACTLY what you are doing, a lot more depends on that than you may think.

Overall, you choose good Pokemon, but with a few move switcheroos, your team will really shine. I hope you see this before you start your game!

OMG thanks guys. Lots of good tips here. So how about this revised team:

Charizard(Mixed Sweeper)
    Flamethrower
    Dragon Claw
    Aerial Ace
    Return(Starter so max friendship is almost gauranteed)

Raichu(Mixed)
    T Wave
    T Bolt
    Iron Tail
    Brick Break

Nidoking(Physical)
    Megahorn
    Sludge Bomb
    Earthquake
    Shadow Ball

Vaporeon(Special)
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Bite
    Toxic

Jynx(Special)
    Ice Beam
    Water Pulse
    Lovely Kiss
    Psychic

Hitmonlee(Physical)
    Brick Break
    Bulk Up
    Rock Slide
    Strength

Glad you were able to let go of Dig I must say, your team looks very well put together, and your Pokemon can tackle most types. Hitmonlee is my only concern. Brick Break is good to have, but only does 75 damage. It's basically a Thunderpunch for fighting types. I am not saying delete it, it's a good move. The move I think you should make room for is High Jump kick. It does 10 more damage and believe me, it is fantastic.
    Alright; that's all I have to grip about, thanks for taking our suggestions. When you sweep the Pokemon league, I wouldn't say I told you so. Well, no promises.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxofcookies View Post
    Glad you were able to let go of Dig I must say, your team looks very well put together, and your Pokemon can tackle most types. Hitmonlee is my only concern. Brick Break is good to have, but only does 75 damage. It's basically a Thunderpunch for fighting types. I am not saying delete it, it's a good move. The move I think you should make room for is High Jump kick. It does 10 more damage and believe me, it is fantastic.
    Alright; that's all I have to grip about, thanks for taking our suggestions. When you sweep the Pokemon league, I wouldn't say I told you so. Well, no promises.
    Yeah well I debated about brick break and hi jump kick but you never know who's gonna annoy you with reflect or light screen.