View Poll Results: Do you use any of the recharge moves, despite the risk?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 9.30%
  • No

17 39.53%
  • VERY Rarely

22 51.16%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Famous/Infamous Recharge Moves

Default The Famous/Infamous Recharge Moves

This is just a question out of curiosity, since I've come across a lot of "nos" from competitive players for obvious reasons, but does anyone actually use any of the powerful recharge moves for their pokémon such as the following?:
    • Hyper Beam
    • Giga Impact
    • Hydro Cannon
    • Blast Burn
    • Frenzy Plant
    • Rock Wrecker
    • Roar of Time

Personally, I've been playing since Gen I, & I've read all about the risks to using these moves, so I'm well aware of the consequences to having a pokémon stand there and do nothing after using one of them. However, even with the risk, I still like using them once in a while on certain pokémon if they have enough offensive &/or defensive stats to pull them off. Plus, with Hyper Beam's new animation & the fact that they gave it its G1 sound effect, I'm really considering using it again. Eh, call me nostalgic
    Last edited by Mr.Munchlax; 18th March 2014 at 9:20 PM.

Black2/
    Heart Gold/X Trainer Card:
    • Name- Dale Hudson
    • Status- Hearing from Cheren that Team Flare has attacked the Aspertia Academy and blew up the school to try to get me to leave Kalos
    • Idols- Tucker Satoshi, Red, Cynthia, Alder, Lance
    • Hometown- Aspertia City, Unova, USA
    • Graduated from- Aspertia Academy

I rarely use these moves. I haven't used Hyper Beam since classic Red and Blue versions. I rarely see Hyper Beam these days from my opponents either. I've seen Giga Impact though. I have taught my Sinnoh Starters the ultimate elemental moves. However I rarely use them. I only use them when I have a good feeling they'll knock out my opponent in one hit and then I switch out. I do this all the time to Cynthia's Spiritomb. One Hydro Cannon knocks it out, then switch out. To use these moves you need to make sure your Pokemon can stand a turn of not doing anything if you don't switch out. I don't like using these moves often but when you do it right they are fine. But I have never seen Hyper Beam used in Gen 4, Gen 5, or even Gen 6 yet.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

They work alright in-game, where you can switch immediately after a KO, but I would never use them in any competitive setting outside of Gen I. Giving a free turn to a potential set-up sweeper is suicide.
    Last edited by Excitable Boy; 17th March 2014 at 8:48 PM.

I don't use them a lot, very rarely. I sometimes used Hydro cannon in Gen 4, but not in newer generations. They are just kinda too strong for me.
    Click my babies to help them to grow!

Pokemon SoulSilver Badge Quest
    Current hunt: Slowpoke well

I have claimed Zebstrika! Thunder zebra power!
    I have also claimed Sacred Grove theme from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess!
    In-game name:Annabel
    Friend-code: 4957-3860-9818

I used to use Hyper Beam in gen 1 and 2, and a few times in gen 3. But after that no more.

I only have them on my and my brother's starters from LeafGreen and FireRed respectively. They, a Blastoise and Charizard (respectively), have them because its a throwback to our uninformed youth and thus only a nostalgia trip.

Otherwise, I rather avoid these moves because the recharge just don't make the power with it (Boomburst deals more damage than Hyper Beam and yet has no drawback (save for the limited userbase (oh god Mega-Gardevoir + BoomBurst (too many parenthesis)))). The power used in the one turn and the recharge is actually worse than something like flamethrower twice. It deals more damage in the two turns and has almost no drawback.

So yeah, recharge shots (and charge shots) I generally avoid, save for Solarbeam.

I used to use them in-game as sort of "finishing moves" for the last move in the battle. But with time I became more competitive-oriented and preferred coverage moves on my team members.

Don't really use them anymore these days.

Out of the ones listed, I've only used Hyper Beam and Blast Burn. This was on Soul Silver. My Dragonite had Hyper Beam for a bit, and my Typhlosion had Blast Burn.

The recharge-on-the-next-turn drawback is a bit too risky for me these days. I'll stick with powerful moves that still, at least, let me attack next turn. Examples: Flare Blitz (recoil damage), Draco Meteor (Special Attack is lowered) or Outrage (Confusion two to five turns later. You at least get to attack once more with this, then get confused)
    Last edited by Painkiller2001; 17th March 2014 at 8:44 PM.
    Alpha Sapphire planned team

Claimed by me!

I used them before I discovered the Internet.

Then I learned they suck and stopped using them.
    3DS Friend Code: 2208-6124-8748
    Friend Safari is Psychic with Abra, Espurr, and Duosion. Feel free to add me if you want.

I've used Hyper Beam a couple of times in-game in X because it looks cool. I'd never use them outside of the Battle Chateau.

Giga Impact and Hyper Beam have been fun to play with in my experience, on the right Pokemon at least. Like Slaking, Stoutland, or Porygon Z.

I really like Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant & Hydro Cannon too, but I don't use them that often. The starters are all better off with other type bonus moves. I feel the same way about Rock Wrecker.
    Last edited by Emperor Empoleon; 17th March 2014 at 10:11 PM.

Hyper Beam's amazing in Gen 1, but besides that in that generation, only in-game.
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)
    i spent 10 hours REing for a shiny metagross and now its an event

I absolutely love hyper beam.

I know it might not be so great competitively as it gives the opponent too many advantages, but the move still looks very cool and awesome. :-D
    I'm a huge Pokémon fan and also love movies.

I'm also a video maker on YouTube. If you wanna see my YouTube channel click here.

You forgot Roar of Time.

Anyway, no, I don't use them.

The Slaking-Truant-Hyper Beam combo was lulzy back in the day.
    FC: 3540-0790-8867
    IGN: Quan

NL Dream Address: 4000-3847-5618

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax Max View Post
    How so? Slaking's used mostly as a hit-and-run pokemon, having Hyper Beam or Giga Impact would ruin that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax Max View Post
    I love when my Salamence gets free Dragon Dances on Slaking's resting turns.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

Scarfed Slaking Giga Impact. Lots of ouchies. Other than that, these moves serve no other competitive purposes.

I vaguely remember a Porygon-Z set in PWT's Rental Tournament that had Hyper Beam as its only move, with Choice Specs and Adaptability (duh).
    Never used it but it didn't fail to entertain me.

Quote Originally Posted by I Like Pie! View Post
    Scarfed Slaking Giga Impact. Lots of ouchies. Other than that, these moves serve no other competitive purposes.
    The main problem with Giga Impact Slaking is that you're forced to recharge on the Truant turn, whereas a move like Return allows you to switch out manually and therefore avoid being entirely helpless.

Power Herb + Geomancy. That is, if you use Legendaries.
    My Platinum Team:

My OmegaRuby Team:

Recharge moves just don't cut it any more in today's metagame. Even though moves like Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick can cause substantial amounts of hp loss, they make up for this by having a turn to recover.

Obviously I use Blast Burn on Mega Charizard X.

Of course, I would never battle any real person with this move on Charizard, but it's pretty cool in-game.

I don't really bother with the recharge moves as odds are that you'll be able to do more damage using other moves for those 2 turns.
    If they would make these moves have a base power of 180-250 then I would consider using them.
    3DS FC: 4785-5475-7913. Friend safari: fire w/ Growlithe, Larvesta, and Fletchinder.

Favorite obtained 6th gen shiny sprites: 658, 681, and 697

I gave my Rhydon in my last playthrough of X Rock Wrecker just because I thought the name was cool, and Rhydon's massive attack was enough to finish off most enemies so I didn't have to worry about the recharge at all.

Besides that, no. They're mostly crap.
    My FC: 3050-8139-4089
    Friend Safari: Munna Espurr Xatu

No, the recharge turn is too risky since you can't switch out the Pokemon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast