Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Pokemon Contests be brought back?

Default Should Pokemon Contests be brought back?

To be honest I'm more of a contest person, it would be so cool if you could go around and collect ribbons and then go to the Grand Festival of each region and try and make your Pokémon's moves look beautiful with some sort of minigame.

As long it stays in a Hoenn remake/sequel then I'm find since I never found Contests appealing other than the anime (AG).
    Last edited by Dragalge; 24th February 2014 at 9:46 PM. Reason: I have to pee.

Well, I'm glad that they are no longer in the games, because to be honest, I find contests extremely boring, both in the games and the anime.

I wanna battle with my Pokémon and see Pokémon battle. I don't wanna see the Pokémon version of American Idol. Which is basically what Pokémon contests are.

Yeah, those are my reasons for hating Pokémon contests.

I absolutely hate how they are presented in the games but I still think it offers a contrast to normal battles.

Yes, I loved contests !
    <3

I was never in to them at all, so if they want to bring them back at some point, they can do that, I won't participate in them though.
    I'm more of gym battle person in the games.

My top favorites

Claimed by me!

Formerly Painkiller2001

Yes! I've always loved them contests. It's probably one of the reasons why my old Milotic is much more special than my current one (boohoo).

Actually, I just wish GF would put some mini side-quest in the next games. I was really disappointed when there wasn't any random side-stuff aside from PR videos and changing appearances. But then again, bringing up 3D models is quite the hassel, so I can see why.

But still, Contests, Pokeathlon, Musicals, Pokestar Studios, these kind of random side-quests are the ones that keep me playing the games (since I have no friends to exchange FCs with lol). It was time consuming, and money-making for the Pokestar Studios. It doesn't have to be another contest, although I would appreciate having that back. xD

In honor of Mystica
    3DS FC: 3926-5714-3675
    Y: Tempus | OR: Chronos

I never really like Contests, it seemed too boring.

Don't even get me started on musicals in B/W. Pokestar Studios was pretty fun though.

FireRed Nuzlocke Team:

AlphaSapphire Nuzlocke Team:

I'm indifferent towards contests. Whilst they were fun in R/S/E, the only place where they actually made sense was the anime with the attack combos and all that jazz. I wouldn't mind contests reappearing in the anime, but I don't really see how it's going to work in the game since attacks are more "cinematic" then they were back in R/S/E/D/P/Pt.

Well yes. Even though they are quite simple I find them enjoyable for the most part.

If they do have contests again they should make them more like the anime and have real life events based off of contests.
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

I wouldn't mind them but to be honest I found the Pokethon to be better.
    To lack fear is stupidity, to face it is bravery.

The contests were okay, but they weren't all that special. Give me a revamped Pokeathlon and we're set.
    Ardent user of anything Rock, Steel, Ground, or Fire

If they could somehow incorporate the way contests were shown in the anime, e.g. pokemon being able to blend their moves to make something wonderful happen, like with piplups ice beam on bubblebeam move, into the games, I think contests would get MUCH more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Dragonz~ View Post
    If they could somehow incorporate the way contests were shown in the anime, e.g. pokemon being able to blend their moves to make something wonderful happen, like with piplups ice beam on bubblebeam move, into the games, I think contests would get MUCH more attention.
    I don't even find contests fun in the anime.

But anyway, I doubt there is a way to make that work. Because in the anime there are actual judges rating.

How would a computer be able to judge that? Sure computers are smart nowadays, but they haven't gotten to the point of being smarter than humans yet.

Hm, I would like to see them return.

I thought they were neat and enjoyable, although they did get somewhat repetetive in the long run.

I honestly kind of liked having contests. Giving Pokémon games a non-violent challenge was kind of fun. That said, I can kind of see why people would have lost interest quickly with the simplicity of the contests' dynamic. There wasn't a lot of skill involved in winning them, with bringing in high-level pokémon being half the battle, and using appropriate moves being the other half. I think if contests returned, a reboot would definitely be in order to raise the interest level back. Maybe make stuff like natures affect contests to breeders could apply their skills to them or things like that. Maybe make items which gave certain advantages in contests. And adding abilities was an extra layer of strategy to battle, why not do the same for contests? Also one thing the anime did which the games never did was make coordinating actually a full alternative training directive to battle training. It would be cool if being a pokémon master coordinator was as much effort and worth as being a pokémon battle master (yeah, beating the battle story arc was never that difficult, but it was much simpler to beat the highest-level contest and most probably did that before beating the Pokémon League if they bothered at all).

Though I don't share Blaze's sentiment of disinterest for contests, I do think he brings up an important point about them. Part of the dynamic that makes contests more simple is that you're only facing against a judge, not opponents. Part of the challenge of battling is the prospect of many different possible opponents one might need to face, all which may pose different threats. The prettiest contest competitor will always win a contest, while even a strong pokémon has weaknesses in battle that can be exploited. Implementing strategy for contests would be difficult, but I think it is possible for developers to do so. I'd imagine mainly the thing holding them back from doing that would be lack of motivation as contests weren't that much of a hit in the games they were in. I'd probably enjoy seeing them return if the developers decided to give them one in any case.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Satomine Night for the awesome banner, and Mechadragon X for the sprite in it!

I would like to see it return, but I believe it would only return (or is more likely)in a remake of R/S/E or D/P/Pt as those two had contests, but I would like them improved. Did get repetitive, based on luck for some parts and not that great. Sometimes I like to take a break from battling.
    I enjoyed the Pokeathlon LOADS, because it was sooo different and rather fun for me mostly because the activities varied. In the Pokemon contests I'd like to see it different for the different categories.
    Has left Serebii forums.

Yes, if they're in the style of Hoenn contests. I remember spending hours trying to come up with the best movesets/combos for each category and it was a lot of fun. However, I felt that Sinnoh's Super Contests removed a lot of the strategy involved with the original contests and made it more about who could dress up their Pokemon the prettiest (and the method of getting those dress-up props wasn't very well implemented to begin with). In Hoenn there seemed to be a greater interplay between your Pokemon and your opponents' Pokemon (because your opponents could do a lot of things to mess up your strategy), whereas in Sinnoh, that factor was downplayed and there weren't as many options for combos. Still, I thought contests were a nice change of pace from the battling scene, and I'd like to see them return at some point.

@ octoboy: Winning contests wasn't so much about having high-leveled Pokemon as it was feeding them a ton of Pokeblocks/Poffins to raise their contest stats (which was a form of grinding in itself, so I could see where people would lose interest). Also, natures did have a role (albeit small) in contests, as it determined which flavor of Pokeblock/Poffin your Pokemon liked best/least. I do agree that giving natures and Abilities a greater effect in contests would add another dimension to the whole thing, and it might help them from getting stale too quickly.

All that said, if Game Freak could ever come up with a way to make the contests like the anime as has previously been mentioned, that would be a dream come true for me - I used to love watching those. If they executed it well I think every Pokemon could be potentially viable in that kind of format, since they all have something that makes them unique.
    Current shiny hunts:
    SoulSilver BQ #13 - Slowpoke Well - 15500 REs | Platinum BQ #5 - Mt. Coronet 1F - 1400 REs | Sun Trial Quest #7 - Mount Hokulani - 500 REs
    White - Dragonspiral Tower (Phase 2) - 1000 REs | Y Route Quest #3 - Route 3 (Phase 2) - 600 REs | Crystal VC - Celebi - 500 SRs

Latest shiny:

Sun TQ #6 - 678 REs - 2/3/18

I think I'm moving but I go nowhere
    Yeah, I know that everyone gets scared
    But I've become what I can't be

More ways that we can interact with our Pokemon other than making them fight is good in my opinion. There's more to Pokemon than just battling with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SKyLineR32 View Post
    More ways that we can interact with our Pokemon other than making them fight is good in my opinion. There's more to Pokemon than just battling with them.
    I do agree, the Pokémon-Amie is a great feature which I love using. :-D

In my opinion it's much better and more fun than the Pokémon contests ever were.

I'd love to see them come back. It would be lovely to have things to do with a challenging goal other than the main quest. It would also be interesting to be able to choose to be a coordinator or a trainer. I doubt that would happen but I still think it could be cool. Regardless, I'd love to see these things come back because they add variety to the things one can do.

I think using the sort of engine that runs the pokemon-amie would be useful in appeals. Like have a portion where you play with your pokemon and make it do tricks and then the move combo section.
    I'm tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
    I do agree, the Pokémon-Amie is a great feature which I love using. :-D

In my opinion it's much better and more fun than the Pokémon contests ever were.
    I agree. I wasn't a big fan of contests back in the Gen. 3 days, but my opinion could be different now. The more, the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by manifesto View Post
    I'd love to see them come back. It would be lovely to have things to do with a challenging goal other than the main quest. It would also be interesting to be able to choose to be a coordinator or a trainer. I doubt that would happen but I still think it could be cool. Regardless, I'd love to see these things come back because they add variety to the things one can do.

I think using the sort of engine that runs the pokemon-amie would be useful in appeals. Like have a portion where you play with your pokemon and make it do tricks and then the move combo section.
    Oh I was thinking about that! That would be really cool and would actually make it so the player can feel closer to their beloved Pokemon! I wouldn't want voice commands though, just some way of sliding the stylus about the screen in some kind of code like: a circle to make your Pokemon twirl, quickly slide the stylus up to make it leap into the air and could combine the two. Then when you do a combo move you could be given a prompt to use a move to finish the combo off. And maybe the moves have their own 'cool, beauty, smart' ect and you have to use it with the same kind of move.

Oh I'm getting way too into this, it'll probably never even happen xD
    Has left Serebii forums.

I would love to see the Pokemon Contest mechanism return, however, in gen 4, I didn't really like how it was played out. If Pokemon Contests return in future games, I hope they can make it more realistic and fun. Like in R/S/E, where there were Pokemon Contests in different towns or cities.

Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami(badge)

Friend Code : 4484-8949-7886

If you actually get something from contests then I'd be fine with them returning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast