View Poll Results: Do you think the Fairy-type is OP?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 25.00%
  • No

87 75.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the Fairy-type is overpowered?

Default Do you think the Fairy-type is overpowered?

Or do you think it has the potential to be overpowered?

It's strong against Fighting and Dragon, which are the two most offensive types. It's completely immune to Dragon. It's only weaknesses are Poison and Steel, two types that aren't very common in battle from what I've heard. Fairy-types like Azumarill and Mega Mawile are devastatingly strong.

I know the whole point of the Fairy-type is to make the type chart more balanced, but it seems like we could have another OP type on our hands if it's not handled the right way in the future. Personally, I think the Fairy-type should have also been weak to Fire, since Fire resists it.

The only thing not handled right in the past was the inflation of stats among Dragon type. The type itself wasn't overpowered, really. Any type has the potential to be overpowered if Game Freak goes on a spree of releasing 600-680 BST Pokemon of that particular type for consecutive generations.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

Quote Originally Posted by SKyLineR32 View Post
    Or do you think it has the potential to be overpowered?

It's strong against Fighting and Dragon, which are the two most offensive types. It's completely immune to Dragon. It's only weaknesses are Poison and Steel, two types that aren't very common in battle from what I've heard. Fairy-types like Azumarill and Mega Mawile are devastatingly strong.

I know the whole point of the Fairy-type is to make the type chart more balanced, but it seems like we could have another OP type on our hands if it's not handled the right way in the future. Personally, I think the Fairy-type should have also been weak to Fire, since Fire resists it.
    No, and Steel is a rather common Type.

By that logic Fighting and Bug should be Super-Effective on eachother, Ground and Bug should be Super-Effective on eachother, Water being Super-Effective on itself, etc.

Don't see why would it be overpowered... it only has 2 weaknesses but Electric only has one, even Fire only has 3. And offensively, if Fairy is overpowered what about Rock and Ground?

I think it's perfectly fine in my opinion, since it not only helps balancing the overpowered Dragon-typing, but it also helps Poison and Steel moves to get more use and therefore make them known to the metagame and help introducing some diversity.

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8099-9870 - Nuno

Super Secret Base | Double Battles | QR Code

Beta Competition Masters Division: W25 L9 - Rating 1736 - Ranking 100th
    June International Challenge Masters Division: W10 L7 - Rating 1544 - Ranking 2784th

Overall WiFi Double Battle Record: W65 L33

Not in my opinion. Two weaknesses and three strengths aren't that much different than others. Also, poison and steel are unpopular types, and this could make them more useful, and it helps even out the dragon type.
    FORMER Fairy Gym Leader
    Alvar Badge
    Elve Badge
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge) FairyWitch(userbar)

If anything I think they're underpowered. Besides Xerneas and Azumarill, there aren't that many threatening Fairy-types.
    Last edited by DedicatedFan; 8th February 2014 at 5:06 PM.

Definitely overpowered, other than poison, steel, and fire it gets at least neutral coverage against everything else in the game so yes its overpowered no matter what other people say, if there was a fairy pokemon that could get ground moves it would have perfect coverage against the whole game except well fire flying pokes and Skarmory mainly, I carry a steel move just to attack fairies cause they're so common now

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Hero View Post
    Don't see why would it be overpowered... it only has 2 weaknesses but Electric only has one, even Fire only has 3. And offensively, if Fairy is overpowered what about Rock and Ground?

I think it's perfectly fine in my opinion, since it not only helps balancing the overpowered Dragon-typing, but it also helps Poison and Steel moves to get more use and therefore make them known to the metagame and help introducing some diversity.
    It's not the number of types Fairy is strong against/weak to. It's what types Fairy is strong against/weak to.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    No, and Steel is a rather common Type.

By that logic Fighting and Bug should be Super-Effective on eachother, Ground and Bug should be Super-Effective on eachother, Water being Super-Effective on itself, etc.
    I mentioned Fire, because I think it would improve the balance more if Fairy was weak to it. Just my opinion.

It's not the number of types Fairy is strong against/weak to. It's what types Fairy is strong against/weak to.

I mentioned Fire, because I think it would improve the balance more if Fairy was weak to it. Just my opinion.
    It's Dragon, Fighting and Dark. The former running rampant and the latter being relatively normal.
    Ten it's Poison and Steel. Poison desperately needing something and Steel already being great.

And yet there are thing like Grass that are weak aginst five Types, yet strong against three.
    If anything those should be balanced out.

No, fairy is a great type with many advantages, but not overpowered though they do well against dragons and fightings.

Dragons were considered overpowered, but that was mostly due their stats. Many of them were 4x weak to ice because flying or ground were purposely given as a second type .

As someone who has difficulty using Fairy-types due to the abundance of Poison moves on wild Pokemon, I would say they're far from overpowered. (And by Fairy-types, I mean Ralts. Who I am now wary of even sending out, even as a Gardevoir, because Poison and Steel moves rip him apart.) Their weaknesses are very common, and Poison did indeed need another type that it was strong against besides Grass. There are a bunch of Pokemon that can learn Iron Tail, if you're really desperate to hit them super-effectively, and Poison Jab is almost as common.

Albeit, I didn't consider Dragons overpowered to begin with, since Ice moves come in handy and I tend to have at least one on a team member... and they're absolutely destroyed by them.

Anyway, my answer is no. I'm still holding a grudge for the whole strong against Dark-types thing, though... even if it makes some sense.

Current mono-type: TFL, Round 4
    Game: Black 2 (6/8)

Regions cleared: Johto | Hoenn | Sinnoh | Unova | (More? Let's finish these first~)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Lore View Post
    I'm still holding a grudge for the whole strong against Dark-types thing, though... even if it makes some sense.
    I also hate how Dark is weak to Fairy. It wasn't necessary.

fairy isnt any more or less powerful than any other type. it all depends on what types of pokemon you carry in your team. if you always have a dragon or dark type, then yes, it will seem overpowered. plus remember, this is the first gen to feature fairy types. if theres any balance issues with fairy types, they will make sure to address it in gen 7.
    pokemon white friend code
    0647 5096 9579
    Name: Kevin

I also hate how Dark is weak to Fairy. It wasn't necessary.
    considering Dark just became an amazing attacking type thanks to steel losing its resistance to it (and ghost), yeah, it was sort of necessary IMO.
    I am capable of manipulating matter on a subatomic level by speaking. A mere flick of my finger is sufficient to alter the gravitational pull of the planet. I shelve physics texts under "fiction" in my personal library. I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics loose guidelines, at best. In short, I am grasping the reins of the universe's carriage, and every morning I wake up, look the heavens and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the common courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware.
    -Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick. (with all due respect to Rich Burlew)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemage21 View Post
    considering Dark just became an amazing attacking type thanks to steel losing its resistance to it (and ghost), yeah, it was sort of necessary IMO.
    True. I just never considered Dark to be on the same scale as Dragon and Fighting. I understand why those two types are weak to Fairy.

Overpowered? Maybe not. I think like, Mega Gardevoir, Azumarill, Whimsicott and Klefki are overpowered (or at least too good at doing what they do). But on the whole? Nah, not really.

I think the fairy type is frivolous and unnecessary, but taken as a whole not terribly overpowered.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

No, Klefki is a maybe considering Poison doesn't do much to still. But, a fire type can deal some damage to it. As for the others, hit them with Sludge Bomb. Xerneas is also a good Fairy Type, but it all depends on how you use them.

Certainly not. Most of the Fairy-types at the moment are painfully slow and their offense isn't that good.

Well, fairy type is not very effective on Talonflame, which is common and Gengar has moves that are super effective on it, and that is also common.
    See, steel, fire and poison are quite common.
    ~~
    Politoed
    Rayquaza intensifies

If you ask me, Fairy type is not powerful ENOUGH, i just hope it doesn't completely get shafted like Steel...

Then again, i hope it DOES, then people will expect it less!
    Darkness is just a friend you can't see!
    3DS FC: 4227 - 0729 - 3560

My ASB Profile

Not really, but I seriously can't never remember what its weak against which frustrates me sometimes which in turn just seem like a pain in the neck to battle since I don't use a lot of Poison and Steel Pokemon and Attacks.
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Credit to Sworn Metalhead

The type itself is OP, but most of the pokemon with it aren't. Which means its just a timebomb waiting to blow all over the metagame.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    The type itself is OP, but most of the pokemon with it aren't. Which means its just a timebomb waiting to blow all over the metagame.
    Exactly my point.

It's a fact that it's a great type both offensively & defensively. Fairy can be the new Dragon-type if Game Freak isn't careful with it. This is why I proposed for it to be weak to Fire. I really wish I added a "Borderline OP" option to the poll, because that's how I feel about it.
    Last edited by SKyLineR32; 10th February 2014 at 7:15 AM.

Definitely yes. I don't see how most people voted no to be honest; it is super-effective against Dark, Fighting and Dragon which is a common selection of types in multiplayer. It has three resistances of Bug, Dark, Fighting and an immunity to Dragon, while it's only weaknesses are the relatively scarce Poison and Steel types. This is clear evidence of OP battling properties - the lack of common weaknesses (both of which aren't very offensive) is not proportionate to the type's advantages. So while fairies did their duty of making Dragons less OP, they have greatly weakened Dark and Fighting types, both of which were balanced before Gen VI. The specific Fairy Pokemon are generally defensive, too.
    In my opinion, I think that Game Freak have to give Fairies an extra weakness to balance the type. Before X/Y I said that Psychic would be a goodd type to be SE against Fairies since the aforementioned type is pretty lacking in the department of type advantage I think.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Essentially this.

Most of the better Dragons have ways of bypassing Fairies, since the majority of Fairies we have are primarily special defensive while the majority of Dragons are physically offensive; the three big Fairies used commonly, namely Azumarill, Togekiss, and Mega Mawile, are all successful in part because of their decent physical defenses.

I'd not be surprised if during the next generation or two, GameFreak introduces another type chart change in some form that checks at least Fairies and Ghosts (considering that the latter are now in essentially the same boat).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast