Thread: Critique my main OU team?

Default Critique my main OU team?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions and improvements, thanks!

Scizor

Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Technician
    Item: Life orb

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves:
    Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    Brick Break
    Bug Bite

Scizor is my opener. Usually I try to get one or two swords dances in first before attacking. Bullet punch has gotten me out of quite a few sticky situations where both me and the opponent have less than a third of hp left and I often use it as a finisher. Bug bite dishes out serious STAB damage and also eats the opponent's berry, which is awesome. Brick break deals with types that resist steel/bug.

Rotom-W

Nature: Modest
    Ability: Levitate
    Item: Shell Bell

EVs: 184 HP / 4 Def / 144 SpA / 176 Spe

Moves:
    Hidden Power (fire)
    Hydro Pump
    Volt Switch
    Will-O-Wisp

I was going for a bulky special attacker here. Hidden power fire allows me to deal with rotom's only type weakness (grass) and destroys steel types too. Volt switch is for when I need to quickly switch out if something nasty comes my way or a dragon type, since they resist this moveset, and I get to deal some damage on the way out as well. Will-o-wisp shuts down physical sweepers. God this thing is awesome.

Haxorus

Ability: Mold Breaker
    Item: Choice Band

EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe

Moves:
    Earthquake
    Dragon Claw
    Outrage
    Brick Break

Standard beat-down tactics here. Invested in a little HP so that he lasts just a little bit longer, since haxorus is a bit of a glass cannon from what I've found in the past. Getting locked into outrage doesn't really matter since I'm going to get locked into one attack anyway with choice band. I was thinking of swapping out dragon claw for a different attack since I already have outrage, suggestions on that would be awesome.

Starmie

Nature: Timid
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Item: Leftovers

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves:
    Thunderbolt
    Rapid Spin
    Ice Beam
    Hydro Pump

My team's spinner, but most of the time I've found starmie to be a pretty awesome sweeper as well since it's pretty darn fast. Ice beam gets rid of any problem dragon types, thunderbolt for those annoying bulky water types, hydro pump for STAB. Leftovers helps it last that little bit longer.

Lucario

Ability: Inner Focus
    Item: Shuca Berry (thinking of swapping for a white herb?)

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves:
    Close Combat
    Extreme Speed
    Ice Punch
    Swords Dance

Usually I open with one swords dance and then spam Exteme Speed, and have found this to be pretty effective. Ice punch is awesome and has really helped me out of some nasty situations. Shuca berry helps deal with earthquake which lucario has kept getting hit with in the past. I was thinking of switching it for a white herb though to get rid of close combat's penalties.

Volcarona

Nature: Timid
    Ability: Flame Body
    Item: Charti Berry

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves:
    Quiver Dance
    Bug Buzz
    Psychic
    Fiery Dance

Man I love this pokemon. Three quiver dances make this pokemon unstoppable, but stealth rock/stone edge/rock slide can do some pretty nasty damage while I'm setting up (hence starmie's rapid spin and the charti berry). I chose fiery dance over fire blast since it has better accuracy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Golden_Charmander; 3rd December 2012 at 4:28 PM.

You need to add descriptions to your team in other words EV spreads and strategy or else this thread will get locked by a mod.

whoops, sorry I thought I had put those in but I forgot to save my post before. ;m; Re-added!

he dragon claw replacement? try rock slide, for nailing ice types.
    also co leftovers over shell bell o rotom.
    also superpower over brick break on scizor and haxorus.
    All Hail Goomy

Thank you for your help

Rock slide seems like a much better choice over dragon claw, didn't think of that xD Gah, I was avoiding superpower because it would mean having to gather more blue shards. Time to start farming again ;w;

Is there a reason you're running Brick Break > Superpower?
    Dragon Dance > Dragon Claw or Outrage. It has an awkward speed tier and could really use the boost in speed.
    Hurricane > Psychic as it gives you a good move to use in the rain (most OU teams are built around the rain).
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Thanks for your feedback! The only reason why I wasn't using superpower was because I have no blue shards at the moment to go to the move tutor xD I'll start farming them asap to replace brickbreak Not too sure about your suggestion for dragon dance on haxorus... I kind of prefer Philzone's idea of having rock slide to tackle ice types with, and I want to keep outrage for STAB. Then again, I've not seen many, if any, ice types in OU, so I might go with your suggestion. Thoughts?

Ice-types seen are mainly Kyurem, Cloyster and Abomasnow. Of them, only Cloyster's really a threat on its own and the others aren't seen much outside of Hail teams or DragMag teams (which.... suck in my opinion. Hail can be made really well but DragMag.... Meh. I've seen a couple good ones, but even those were really easy to beat)
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

hmm fair enough, I'll replace dragon claw with dragon dance then, and switch the choice band for something else. (lum berry maybe?)
    Last edited by Golden_Charmander; 3rd December 2012 at 8:36 PM.

Team looks good, just a few points:
    1. Life orb on lucario, 100%. He needs life orb to net the KOs.
    2. If running charti berry on volcarona, then run giga drain over psychic. At least you can regain lost hp from stealth rock/rock attack.
    3. Try dual chop over dragon claw on haxorus. It'll be able to break subs like sub/dd gyarados who can threaten your team with waterfall/eq. Also, just a thing to try superpower over brick break could be mentioned to hit much harder.
    4. I would recommend choice band on scizor with u turn to escape magnezone. Sd scizor is good but without roost, you're a sitting duck.
    5. Starmies okay. You could sub our hydro pump for psyshock but that's it.
    6. For rotom, leftovers and pain split are necessary for a defensive rotom. Hp fire isn't needed. Your hydro pump/ volt switch give good enough coverage. Plus you have volcarona and great coverage with lucario/starmie to handle steel/grass types.
    I play UU mostly, but am always up for a good OU battle!

White 2 FC: 3654 9701 7229

Choice scarf rotom last slot- trick that's better than shell bell or otherwise use leftovers..
    Haxorus- you might keep the set I am not sure if you calculated the speed tiers (too lazy to calculate now) just be sure to outspeed neutral base 95 pokemons.
    Superpower>brick break.. I dissagree on rock slide it is quite weak on haxorus and hits nothing really.. (Neutral outrage- 180 BP SE rock slide- 150 BP and steel resists rock so it's useless resisted outrage- 90BP)
    dragon dance is an option but band have it's advantages...
    Starmie I would say life orb but.. all of your team is using life orb... you will lose some valuable kills though..

lucario- why white herb? no one uses that because of close combat really.. use life orb or lum berry..
    on volcarona: psychic offers poor coverage (only terrakion really use it only if you think he is a big problem I think starmie counters none scarf/rock polish variants) use HP rock for almost perfect coverage or HP ground gor heatran... and other fre types..

synergywise the team is really offensive you should put a good tank maybe make rotom-W more defensive with pain split if you decide not to scarf him.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

If you plan on using a handed haxorus, why not dual chop over dragon claw? That way you break sashes

First off, I see a team that is great offensively. Because of this, I don't think you actually need rapid spin, especially as you also don't have stealth rocks, leaving you swept by so many things, especially set-up sweepers such as agility thunderus-t, ddgyara, etc. Yeah, you have volc, but you can play around it. But, i think that the team would appreciate much better support, especially with how much switching you'll cause. For this reason, I suggest Deoxys-D>Starmie. Deoxys-D provides great support, with hazard support and thunder wave. trust me, the paralysis support is greatly appreciated.

Deoxys-D @Mental Herb/Rocky Helmet
    Pressure
    - Bold -
    252 hp/ 252 def/ 4 speed
    - Taunt/ Psychic
    - Thunder Wave
    - Spikes/ Magic coat
    - Stealth rock

don't worry about taunt users, i rarely see them anymore. the only ones are gyarados(rarely. its mostly subdd now) and deoxys-d(that i see), and on deo-d, just lead with volcarona. the t-wave support will be greatly appreciated. trust me. from what i see, you suffer a lot from scarf terrakion, and deo-d fixes that problem. paralyze it and then take it out. or use psychic, if you opt out of taunt. the rocks are definitely needed though, and spikes wouldnt hurt either.

Now, on rotom-w, scarf that thing, change its evs to 252 SpA/252 speed timid, and change WoW to thunderbolt. this helps you out with stuff like +1 gyarados, etc. WoW conflicts with the paralysis support you now have, and is too unreliable for my tastes.

I honestly think haxorus and scizor's roles should be switched, with scizor being the standard banded set and haxorus, dd set. scizor has the bulk to perform admirably in the band set, and haxorus has the massive attack.

Scizor @Choice Band
    - Technician -
    Adamant
    248 hp/ 252 atk/ 8 speed
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit
    - U-turn

This provides great synergy with rotom-w, and will help force alot of switches from the opponent. it also helps greatly in keeping the momentum, and still produces greatness. I think you'll have much better luck with this set.

Haxorus @Life Orb/ Lum berry
    - Mold Breaker/ Rivalry -
    Jolly
    4 hp/ 252 atk/ 252 speed
    - Earthquake
    - Aqua Tail
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Dance

This set is great to use in rain, and is just so good. im tired of wingmanning these pokes, just take my advice.

For lucario, i think you'll have better luck with bullet punch>ice punch. Ice punch doesnt hit anything without, like, being outsped, and dual priority with sd is amazing. it also always beats mamoswine, which is just great, allowing haxorus to sweep better. and drop the shuca berry. if anything, air balloon, but go life orb instead. also, jolly nature over adamant, as that speed increase is just o so sweet, and you'd be surprised how much speed matters.

lastly, on volc, you need life orb. charti berry is just....ugh. the berries suck. Also, hp ground over psychic, to hit heatran, terrakion, and most of who normally walls volcarona. ninetails, chandelure, most fire types. psychic hits, like, nothing. except infernape, keldeo, and terrakion.

that's pretty much it gl with your team.