Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 32 of 32

Thread: Personalities and Synergies

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SE asia, Phiippines.
    Posts
    696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    I typically take two-four characters that have no common ground or common trait and throw them together, just to see how they interact. It usually works well.
    So what kind of odd personalities? Something like Mr. Bean's kind of characteristic? At least specify
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Midgar, Sector 7
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    So what kind of odd personalities? Something like Mr. Bean's kind of characteristic? At least specify
    By odd, don't make an utter crazy weirdo who talks in capitals and shouts random jokes like 'ORAN BERRIES HAVE MOUTHS SO THEY CAN EAT THEMSELVES' or something to that effect.

    Instead, to save you from trying too hard to make a gag everytime the character speaks, give them a trait. Take Gollum from Lord of the Rings, he has a strange style of speech, as well as coughing 'gollum' a lot. So maybe a character who says something evey few words could class as 'odd'. Speaking in the third person or pronouncing words differently

    Outside of speech, comment on the way the character moves. Maybe they walk with a limp, or that their eyes dart around to every moving object. Also the way that they fight would be different. Illogical if you will.
    Hi! SeekerofLight here, always aiming to help peeps out in all their gaming and writing needs... provided I myself have been given help about the topic...

    Incoming! A brand new fic starting soon!
    Watch this space. Yes, literally, THIS space, below this!





  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Digital World
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    I typically take two-four characters that have no common ground or common trait and throw them together, just to see how they interact. It usually works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    So what kind of odd personalities? Something like Mr. Bean's kind of characteristic? At least specify
    The immediate example I can think of was Red and Blue(Green in Japanese version) of the Pokemon Special Manga. Their characteristic generally are uncommon, and their attitude towards certain incidents also quite different. At the beginning of RGB Arc, the two were even having quarrels every time they met. But after the Pokemon League, the two had became friends and yet like rivals.

    There does exist such kind of odd pairings, where I personally called these as "Magnet Pairs". The personality of the two persons are like the two opposite poles of the magnet, which is completely different or even exactly opposite, but yet they are "attracted" to each other. Such magnet pairs were usually fighting at the beginning, but at the end they can become friends, allies, or rivals of good-competition, forming a beneficial relation between each other.
    Last edited by Crystal; 11th January 2013 at 12:40 AM.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Currently in the 3rd dimension
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    That's another interesting topic about personality: Sudden change of personality during the story. Please note that this is different from growth/maturing.

    But for sudden change of personality, that will be a different kind of growth, if you may called that as "growth". Example, a carefree guy suddenly changed to become discreet and cautious about every single little event around him; a gentle girl that loves to help the others suddenly become reticent and antisocial; or like the example of jireh gave, the Darkrai in PMD explorer suddenly changed from an absolute villain to a courteous gentleman after the post-story event.
    Such sudden change in personality of a character were mostly changed to a complete different one, such that the character feels no more like the "original" person. Usually such sudden change involves a major event that greatly damages that character, either mentally or physically. The damage causes trauma in the character's mind, or induce long-term amnesia, where these causes a sudden change in behaviour and/or personality of the character.

    Of course, there also exist many other reasons that causes such sudden change, depending on your story. It can also be something else like sudden change in environment, relationship between some important person, or even sudden becoming wealthy by winning lottery, etc. But these sudden change of personality has a trend: which there must exist a major reason that causes such change in characteristics.
    I wrote a story once where the main character was an unlikeable douchebag and, since the story was in his perspective, he justified all wrongs flung at him as not his fault (hint hint: a lot of the bad stuff that happens to him were of his own doing). A lot of my readers didn't get that he was SUPPOSED to be unlikeable. At the end of the story (that spanned over 50 chapters), he only BARELY showed signs of being a better person. The whole story took place in a matter of 6 1/2 months. Again, readers complained "X didn't learn anything! He didn't grow as a person! He didn't learn his lesson!" I had to tell them "No, he didn't. He's freakin' 18 years old. He's not gonna have a life-changing epiphany and suddenly become Saint X and save kittens from trees. He's has no reason to. Plus, I made it very clear over the course of the story that he's especially stubborn in his beliefs (that he's not a horrible person). Honestly, think back. When was the last time you personally saw someone do a 180 in personality? If you did see someone do that, did something life-changing just happen to them? 'Cause I think "sudden change in personality for no reason" is a symptom of a mental disorder. In summary, it's just not realistic (and realism is a theme I strive for) for someone to change their entire personality for no warranted reason over the course of a few months." People ASSUMED that all bad people (who aren't cackling villains) change their personalities to good ones at the end of the story, even if there's no justification for it whatsoever. And that's my rant that I hope somehow ties to what you're saying.

    Credit for picture: "Emma" (littlebuster-k2); Credit for signature: 9dragonsbreed
    So you should expect the truth from me. Only, you shouldn't expect it to be the truth you assumed.
    Oh yes, and you should read my story Happenings Between Goals.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Digital World
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Teller View Post
    I wrote a story once where the main character was an unlikeable douchebag and, since the story was in his perspective, he justified all wrongs flung at him as not his fault (hint hint: a lot of the bad stuff that happens to him were of his own doing). A lot of my readers didn't get that he was SUPPOSED to be unlikeable. At the end of the story (that spanned over 50 chapters), he only BARELY showed signs of being a better person. The whole story took place in a matter of 6 1/2 months. Again, readers complained "X didn't learn anything! He didn't grow as a person! He didn't learn his lesson!" I had to tell them "No, he didn't. He's freakin' 18 years old. He's not gonna have a life-changing epiphany and suddenly become Saint X and save kittens from trees. He's has no reason to. Plus, I made it very clear over the course of the story that he's especially stubborn in his beliefs (that he's not a horrible person). Honestly, think back. When was the last time you personally saw someone do a 180 in personality? If you did see someone do that, did something life-changing just happen to them? 'Cause I think "sudden change in personality for no reason" is a symptom of a mental disorder. In summary, it's just not realistic (and realism is a theme I strive for) for someone to change their entire personality for no warranted reason over the course of a few months." People ASSUMED that all bad people (who aren't cackling villains) change their personalities to good ones at the end of the story, even if there's no justification for it whatsoever. And that's my rant that I hope somehow ties to what you're saying.
    You gives very good points here, and mentioned a good stereotyping mistake that happens in many preteen shows, even in the current Pokemon series.

    Very true and very correct, nobody can have a sudden change in personality if there doesn't exist a justifiable reason that greatly affects the character. That is true for everyone, not only the protagonist, but also the antagonists, the supporting characters, the minor characters, and villains.

    Justifiability of the reason that changes the personality of a character may varies according to different people. Previously I mentioned amnesia is just one, there can be others like being victims of serious crime, decrease of a person that is very closed to the referred character, or some realistic one like very serious addiction to drugs, gambling, etc. Most of those can affect the life of the character.

    For one specific reason of change of personality of one specific category of character, the justifiability is really questionable: The villain lose to the protagonist. This happened a lot in many preteen animes, Pokemon series is one that "abuse" this to the greatest extent.

    By reality speaking, losing a match to someone else will not affect the character's personality, no matter how much that match was important to him/her. Therefore, even up until now, I am still unable to understand the change of Giovanni after Red (or whatever name you choose the protagonist to be) defeats him in Viridian Gym in Pokemon RGB/FrLg series.

    Personality of villains, especially villains of criminal characters, is difficult to change if look from realistic viewpoint. Yet I don't understand that why there will be a stereotyped view that bad suddenly changes to good after the so-called "final battle" with the good protagonist. I will accepted that they changed back to the good guys after several years or so, but definitely not immediately after the final match.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SE asia, Phiippines.
    Posts
    696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Teller View Post
    I wrote a story once where the main character was an unlikeable douchebag and, since the story was in his perspective, he justified all wrongs flung at him as not his fault (hint hint: a lot of the bad stuff that happens to him were of his own doing). A lot of my readers didn't get that he was SUPPOSED to be unlikeable. At the end of the story (that spanned over 50 chapters), he only BARELY showed signs of being a better person. The whole story took place in a matter of 6 1/2 months. Again, readers complained "X didn't learn anything! He didn't grow as a person! He didn't learn his lesson!" I had to tell them "No, he didn't. He's freakin' 18 years old. He's not gonna have a life-changing epiphany and suddenly become Saint X and save kittens from trees. He's has no reason to. Plus, I made it very clear over the course of the story that he's especially stubborn in his beliefs (that he's not a horrible person). Honestly, think back. When was the last time you personally saw someone do a 180 in personality? If you did see someone do that, did something life-changing just happen to them? 'Cause I think "sudden change in personality for no reason" is a symptom of a mental disorder. In summary, it's just not realistic (and realism is a theme I strive for) for someone to change their entire personality for no warranted reason over the course of a few months." People ASSUMED that all bad people (who aren't cackling villains) change their personalities to good ones at the end of the story, even if there's no justification for it whatsoever. And that's my rant that I hope somehow ties to what you're saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    You gives very good points here, and mentioned a good stereotyping mistake that happens in many preteen shows, even in the current Pokemon series.

    Very true and very correct, nobody can have a sudden change in personality if there doesn't exist a justifiable reason that greatly affects the character. That is true for everyone, not only the protagonist, but also the antagonists, the supporting characters, the minor characters, and villains.

    Justifiability of the reason that changes the personality of a character may varies according to different people. Previously I mentioned amnesia is just one, there can be others like being victims of serious crime, decrease of a person that is very closed to the referred character, or some realistic one like very serious addiction to drugs, gambling, etc. Most of those can affect the life of the character.

    For one specific reason of change of personality of one specific category of character, the justifiability is really questionable: The villain lose to the protagonist. This happened a lot in many preteen animes, Pokemon series is one that "abuse" this to the greatest extent.

    By reality speaking, losing a match to someone else will not affect the character's personality, no matter how much that match was important to him/her. Therefore, even up until now, I am still unable to understand the change of Giovanni after Red (or whatever name you choose the protagonist to be) defeats him in Viridian Gym in Pokemon RGB/FrLg series.

    Personality of villains, especially villains of criminal characters, is difficult to change if look from realistic viewpoint. Yet I don't understand that why there will be a stereotyped view that bad suddenly changes to good after the so-called "final battle" with the good protagonist. I will accepted that they changed back to the good guys after several years or so, but definitely not immediately after the final match.
    Intriguing. I would see this kind of trait to sub characters who help the protagonist in a pessimistic way. I am using one who barely changes his view even if my heroine kept encouraging my sub character to soften up. It is personally one of the easiest to make since that kind of character completely knows itself.

    I call this term as "respective disagreement". open to opinions but they won't do the advice given by others.

    As a nice example, lets say a friend suggested to you that you must take a break from your studies every now and then. While you respect the suggestion, you'd rather not listen to that advice and continue to study too much.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SE asia, Phiippines.
    Posts
    696

    Default

    A long while since the last post.

    But what are your opinions about writing internal conflicts to your characters?
    Personally, I find them very fun to do since you put every character's limited loyalty to the test.

    I bet all of us know Serverus who plays as a double agent. Loyal to "the guy's name not to be spoken", but truly loyal to Dumbledore.

    The other kind of internal conflict that I know is from the Da Vinci Code, where Sophie is hostage by Teabing and Robert Langdon has to solve the puzzle from him or Sophie gets killed. If he solves it for them however, Teabing will use the answer from the Cryptex to destroy the current Christianity by revealing to the world that Sophie holds the bloodline of Jesus Christ. They were at Westminister Abbey when this happens?

    So back in topic, what are the different personalities that can intertwine with internal conflict scenarios?
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •