Thread: Stall team

Default Stall team

Been working on a stall team since every other team I have tried has trouble with weather teams. This team so far has had pretty good success. Maybe for no other reason then the opponent rage quits a good deal of the time.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes/Thunder Wave
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball

Sets up rocks and seeds. Mostly used TWave but trying spikes thinking it will better for Dragonite who juggles opponents. EVs put both defense into the 300s and lets him take a lot of hits form both sides.

Sableye @ Leftovers
    ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Calm Nature
    - Recover
    - Toxic
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Protect

Love this guy. Has some trouble with the likes of scizor who use priority but still does great at wearing down bulky pokemon with toxic or hampering physical attackers with a burn. Also stops spinners fairly well while whittling down there HP.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Imposter
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Transform
    - Transform
    - Transform
    - Transform

This guy is a big reason I started winning. Being a stall team opponents love to set up on me. Ditto makes them quickly regret it. Was using Gastrodon to deal with Heatran but found them useless.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Careful Nature
    - Roost
    - Substitute
    - Thunder Wave
    - Dragon Tail

So hard to bring down once sub and paralysis is up. Sub gains benefit from multiscale making hitting him even harder. With rocks and spikes up and dragon tail stab damage racks up quickly and prevents opponents from gaining momentum.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
    ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Acid Armor
    - Focus Blast/shadow ball/psyshock

Acid armor shuts physical attacks down which is what most people try to use. Calm mind boost defense from the other side and also gives me some killing power. Biggest problem I have is choosing an attack Leaning towards Focus blast for power and to hit dark types. Problem is all his main attacks have something that's immune to them.

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
    ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Cosmic Power
    - Psycho Shift
    - Roost
    - Stored Power

can come in on a number of popular OUs and thanks to decent speed and evs can outran a good chunk of them as well. Considering replacing with Xatu for magic bounce when I know a entry hazard or status effect is coming.

I have had good luck with this team so far. Few times I have had problems are teams that use several wall breakers or rain teams that use hydration. God I hate rain teams. I really enjoying this defensive team more then I thought I would. I usually play offensively.

Thanks for any advice and tips.

First things first, in Generation 5, stall teams are really hard to make, as there are so many threats to face in the metagame. It is better to make an HO team.

I'll leave comments on every Pokemon.

Ferrothorn- you might want to also consider Protect for Thunder Wave/Spikes for stall and scouting purposes.

Sableye- since Sigilyph already has Psycho Shift, you might want to drop Sableye's Will-o-wisp for an attacking move like Seismic Toss/Night Shade/Foul Play. Personally, I would also like to drop Protect for Trick and give Sableye's a Lagging Tail to cripple fast sweepers, as Sableye has recover to make up for no residual recovery.

Ditto- I got nothing. Ditto is that simple.

Dragonite- I have tried Dragonite in a paraflinching team of mine before. I got quite a few rage quits due to paralyzing the opponent's entire team (which could then be sweeped by King's Link Cinccino and Jirachi). Parashuffler Dragonite is good where it is.

Reuniclus- you may want to drop acid armor for a coverage move and max out Reuniclus's Defense. I do that with my CM Latias. Either way, you do need two coverage moves, otherwise Reuniclus is walled by Pokemon immune to a certain type.

Sigilyph- completely walled by Tyrannitar, end of story.

I think Sigilyph is the largest dead weight here, but I don't know what to replace it with. Rain teams are generally walled by Ferrothorn, but in this case, sun and sand teams would kill you. Try using a Heatran to counter sun teams, and give it Stealth Rock and Ferrothorn Spikes, so that Sableye would have something to do after it cripples a sweeper.
    For trade:
    Legendaries- Shiny rash , Shiny relaxed , Sassy , , 2 (one docile, one lax), , , (DW event), , ,

DW(non-female)- ,

DW females-

Friend Codes:
    White- 2537 7184 5779

Name: Nike
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    With enough skill, you can put any pokemon here

Thunder Wave and Gyro Ball? I wouldn't go with those two moves at once, choose from one of those. The faster the opponent, the higher Gyro Ball's attack power.

Quote Originally Posted by silverangel View Post
    First things first, in Generation 5, stall teams are really hard to make, as there are so many threats to face in the metagame. It is better to make an HO team.
    While this is true, stall is perfectly viable, and there are a handful of players who have even peaked Number 1 on the ladder with it!

This team in particular has a lot of potential! That Dragonite set can be brutal in the right hands, and the amount of damage it can cause when paired with hazard support is nuts.

Okay, on to the rate.
    First, I'm going to discuss the obvious problems. I don't want to say your Reuniclus set is useless but...

252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. +2 252 HP / 0 Def Reuniclus: 240-284 (56.6 - 66.98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

--And that's only if you manage to Acid Armor on the switch, otherwise he's just going to come and get a U-Turn for free.

I don't want to be that guy who changes half your team, so I'm going to offer suggestions to make the team more and more competitive. Choose how much you wish to change:

1. You have nothing to handle physical dragons. A +1 Dragonite outrage does 37.21 - 43.75% to Ferrothorn with the current EV spread. Paired with a Salamence, they will destroy Ferrothorn and clean sweep. So change your spread to 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD, which balances your defenses and helps you take hits better in general.

2. Your Sabelye set is poor. I don't understand why you are using Toxic and Protect. Will-O-Wisp is fine for statuses, and Sabelye is already VERY pressed for moveslots, too much so to use Protect -- besides, Substitute is basically a better Protect on him anyway. Sabelye should be running:
    -Will-O-Wisp
    -Recover
    -Substitute/Taunt
    -Foul Play/Taunt/Night Shade

Substitute is simply amazing on Sabeleye. It's pretty much a Protect that works if they switch, can be used over and over, AND only takes 18% of your HP. Pretty ****ing cool, yeah? Foul Play is great for hitting a LOT of threats, and it's pretty easy to fire it off once you're behind a sub. Unfortunately, the Damage Calc I use doesn't have Foul Play implemented, but if def does over 50% to both Latios and Espeon if they have a 31 Att IV -- which they all do, god knows why. Taunt is also useful for breaking stall. Night Shade kinda sucks but is better against Terrakion and Keldeo.

3. Ditto is excellent on stall teams. I have no complaints there.

4. Your Dragonite set is great, and is the reason that you are probably still winning a lot of games even though the rest of the team is flawed.

5. Reuniclus. MONO ATTACKERS DO NOT WORK WITHOUT AN ALMOST UNRESISTED STAB. There are very few viable boosting monoattackers. Dark/Water Arceus in Ubers, SubBU Braviary in NU, and CroCune in DPPt are the few that come to mind. They all have great STAB types like Flying, Water, or Dark (good in Ubers) to work with. Psychic is a terrible STAB, and you are stopped cold by Scizor no matter what. Genesect too if he's legal where you play. There are a few options you could explore:

a) Keep him and run CM+Recover+Focus Blast + Psychic with max def and Lefties. This set still doesn't do well against Scizor or Jirachi though. It works best as a StallBreaker -- except Stall is almost non-existant, and a lot of stall runs Jirachi or Celebi anyway.

b) Get rid of him. Your team is severely crippled by the lack of rapid spin. By their very nature, stall teams must switch a lot. Hazards do a LOT to hinder this, and you also don't really have a strong defensive core atm. Dragonite loves having SR gone, as well. I would suggest adding a Tentacruel here. Tentacruel can run a Toxic Spikes set to give you more hazards. I include the set below. You need physically defensive to have a chance against Terrakion

6. Sigylph is probably the least effective Pokemon. It was okay during verrrry early BW1, but now it's kinda subpar with all the hard attackers everywhere. So dump it. I would reccomend a Heatran. This gives you a good answer to a lot of Pokes, including rain teams. Since you don't need to run SR on him, the Shed Shell RestTalk set could actually work wonders. You will beat almost every sun team easily if they lack a mixed Venusaur or Sawsbuck -- and guess what? Dragonite will dump on Sun teams that run mixed Venusaur.

tl;dr:
    sub --> Protect on Sabeleye
    Foul Play --> Night Shade on Sabeleye

Spikes on Ferry

Heatran over Sigilpyph
    Tentacruel over Reuniclus

Heatran @Shed Shell
    248 HP/ 252 SpDef/ 8 Spe
    Calm Nature
    Trait: Flash Fire
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Lava Plume
    -Roar

Tentacruel @Leftovers
    252 HP/ 236 Def/ 20 Spe
    Bold Nature
    Trait: Rain Dish
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Rapid Spin
    -Scald
    -Protect/Ice Beam
    Last edited by superstar; 8th December 2012 at 7:22 AM.

Spoiler:- Ladder Peaks:
        Spoiler:- TMP Badges:

http://www.plug.dj/cg/#
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Thanks for the amazing advice. I know Stall and defensive teams are harder to use but I am having so much more fun with them then I was using Heavy offense. There just so boring and generic to me. Really like using Heatran and Tentacruel over what I have. usually hate Heatran but like this unique set. One question though wouldn't Air balloon or leftovers be better on heatran then Shed shell?

If Genesect is banned, Leftovers is certainly viable. I wouldn't recommend Air Balloon because on a stall team Heatran is going to take a lot of attacks, and Air Balloon will generally just be wasted around Turn 15 or so, leaving you itemless for the rest of the match. But yeah, if you aren't worried about Dugtrio + Sun by all means go for Leftovers. The problem is that you ARE weak to Dugtrio + Sun, so you're gonna have to be careful around him if you opt out of Shed Shell

Spoiler:- Ladder Peaks:
        Spoiler:- TMP Badges:

http://www.plug.dj/cg/#
        Spoiler:- Credits: