Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone explain WHY Pikachu is the go-to mascot?

Default Can anyone explain WHY Pikachu is the go-to mascot?

Besides it being popular in the manga/TV show, can anyone really tell me why it seems to be the go-to Pokemon mascot? From a trainer's viewpoint, its stats are sub par (even Raichu isn't that much better)and if cuteness sells, I can list at least 10 more who are cuter and have better stats.
    Trainer: Dr.Evil
    Pokemon Black Friend Code: 4814-4615-9206

I don't really know the answer to this, but it seemes Pikachu were more popular than Clefairy, who was intended to be the mascot at some point

Mercy
    Without understanding, it is merely an excuse
    for the weak to escape Judgement

They chose Pikachu instead of Clefairy to be the franchise mascot mainly due to it being yellow instead of pink. It is cute as Clefairy, but its color have appeal to both girls and boys. Pink is still heavily related to girls (now imagine how it was in the 90s). Raichu's appeal isn't that great. It is bigger, chubbier, etc. Although personally I like its design more than Pikachu's.

Stats? Do you really think they would consider STATS when choosing the mascot? Please. xD

Have in mind that not every ~trainer~ care about stats and stuff like that... Pokémon is a franchise with appeal for all kinds of players. To some what matters is the design of a 'mon and like it or not, Pikachu has a very good and appealing design.

TIME: Pikachu is sort of marginal in the game. But it's now the best-known character. How'd that happen?

Tajiri: When they did the anime, they wanted a specific character to focus on. Pikachu was relatively popular compared with the others and potentially both boys and girls would like it. They heard a lot of opinions about this. It wasn't my idea.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

Because Pikachu is one of the most amazing things humanity has ever created.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

meh, I've never understood the pikachu hype. never cared much for it either.
    My Favorite Pokemon
    Zangoose --- Moonlight_Tails --- November 22nd, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight_Tails View Post
    meh, I've never understood the pikachu hype. never cared much for it either.
    Actually, Hidden Power got it right there.

They needed a mascot, Pikachu was a considerably popular Pokémon in Japan and not as "girly" as Clefairy, the originally intended mascot, so they went with it.
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

"Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

I would say it had a lot to do with the show as well. Other than Ash i think Pikachu has been one of the longest running characters.

B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229

I know Clefairy was going to be a mascot at one point but they chose yellow and somewhat manly but cute for girls Pikachu. I don't get it. Pikachu and Raichu look EXACTLY the same in cuteness. Both were chubby in the old games and Raichu has a cool Tail. Meh, I just one of the few People who can't see why Pikachu is so popular.

Not that I dislike Pikachu or anything like that however.
    Yeah..... I changed my signature....

I think it's because yellow is a very androgynous color and appeals to a wider audience and it's a very "happy" color full of fun and life, why do they paint sports cars bright colors?

I don't know if Clefairy was ever flat out stated to be the original planned mascot. What they did intend was Clefairy to be the starter Pokemon for the anime (if I remember correctly, one of the earliest manga series of the time had Clefairy as the starter). And from there, due to that popularity, Pikachu became the official mascot of the franchise.

The stats are irrelevant of the mascot status. It has broad appeal and is heavily featured in promotional materials and in the anime.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

I think its probably from the way that Pikachu has always been there from the start... like the ability to catch in Viridian Forest etc. in the early games. But as a figurehead it works really well and I bet some people have pulled it off as competitively viable... and it works fine in game (from experience ).
    Reasons for it being a go to mascot : Examples said above and its a fairly simple one that people can relate to, like a pet for example.

Push da button

It was popular in the beginning because it looked better than most of the other Red/Green sprites. Then the anime gave it a good personality, which only helped it's popularity grow.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Because he's yellow and a mouse. What's to explain?
    "Getting pride from simply being part of a group is stupid. Especially when anybody can join said group."

I thought he was the mascot because Pikachu was more well-known then Clefairy at that time? Other then that, I dunno...^^;
    MMing: Espurr, 90 eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Good. You can never understand the mindset of a woman.

Because if Pikachu wasn't the mascot and it was something else, then we've have the exact same question.

Can anyone explain WHY Sandshrew is the go-to mascot?
    Besides it being popular in the manga/TV show, can anyone really tell me why it seems to be the go-to Pokemon mascot? From a trainer's viewpoint, its stats are sub par (even Sandslash isn't that much better) and if cuteness sells, I can list at least 10 more who are cuter and have better stats.

Pikachu wasn't the mascot, I doubt you'd have any issue with it. It's only because Pikachu is seen to be the 'poster child' of pokemon that you have any real issues with it. You wouldn't be objecting if it just happened to be any other pokemon.

Banner Count: 14

They could have chosen any of the 150 Pokémon as a "Mascot." Actually Charizard and Venousaur where one of the first two Pokémon you saw when you got the games, as they where on the covers, it could easily have been either of their two lines. It could have easily been any of the starters lines actually...

The Anime ended up doing most of promotion outside Japan, so Pikachu ended up being the first "Mascot" Pokémon. Given the way that the Anime needs to reuse content to produce a weekly episode for the last Decade almost non-stop it's easier to keep using the same "footage," with often Minor Tweeks. So it's easier to keep on using the same "main" characters. (The Weekly count is roughly right, some weeks Pokémon gets a week off, while others two episodes are shown back to back.)

(Another Series takes it to further, as Digimon often fills a full minute just by digivoling, which is purely "reusable" footage. Counting S1-EP49 "The Crest of light", I counted 10 Seconds for one character, and two 5s sequences taking 20 seconds, in one Section, and another 15 seconds for two 7s failed attempts, (footage was played normally then played backwards) and finally 30 second piece.. 65 seconds from a 18 minute episode, (actually 20 Mins, but credits are nearly 2 min). Plus there are quite a few Animation short cuts used in that Episode, can be seen if you know what to look for.)
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Probably because, for whatever reason, people seemed to like Pikachu a lot (maybe because he's not very manly like Charizard or Mewtwo, and he's not very girly like Jigglypuff or Clefairy (who I think actually WAS meant to be the mascot)). It's just the Ensemble Darkhorse trope in play, which lead to the Breakout Character trope coming into effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    They could have chosen any of the 150 Pokémon as a "Mascot." Actually Charizard and Venousaur where one of the first two Pokémon you saw when you got the games, as they where on the covers, it could easily have been either of their two lines. It could have easily been any of the starters lines actually...

The Anime ended up doing most of promotion outside Japan, so Pikachu ended up being the first "Mascot" Pokémon. Given the way that the Anime needs to reuse content to produce a weekly episode for the last Decade almost non-stop it's easier to keep using the same "footage," with often Minor Tweeks. So it's easier to keep on using the same "main" characters. (The Weekly count is roughly right, some weeks Pokémon gets a week off, while others two episodes are shown back to back.)

(Another Series takes it to further, as Digimon often fills a full minute just by digivoling, which is purely "reusable" footage. Counting S1-EP49 "The Crest of light", I counted 10 Seconds for one character, and two 5s sequences taking 20 seconds, in one Section, and another 15 seconds for two 7s failed attempts, (footage was played normally then played backwards) and finally 30 second piece.. 65 seconds from a 18 minute episode, (actually 20 Mins, but credits are nearly 2 min). Plus there are quite a few Animation short cuts used in that Episode, can be seen if you know what to look for.)
    Not really sure what any of that has to do with this.

Pokemon started, Pikachu became popular, they stuck with it, the end.

Cuteness is subjective, yes not everyone will find Pikachu cute, or will find others cuter, but that's irrelevant, it's a matter of getting the most and Pikachu just happened to get the most love. You may not like Pikachu, others do, a lot of people do and it's became probably the most well known Pokemon, why wouldn't they continue to use it as the mascot.

It's the mascot because that's how it happened, and it'll continue to be the mascot until a significant amount of people start hating it and starts affecting the franchise, which wont ever happen.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

I think the original mascot Pokemon was meant to be Clefary, but it was considered to "girlie" so they wanted to use a more neutral Pokemon, another reason they choose Pikachu was because there where not as many yellow mascots, this made them stand out a little more.

.: 3DS FC: 0490-5034-9209 :.
    .: DeviantART :: Graphics Thread :: Art Thread :: Art Shop :.

Well, Pikachu IS the first PKMN Ash ever had and its pretty special, nya~
    "It's hard enough breaking a limited edition 3DS that a girl cherished,
    but breaking her feelings like a thin layer of ice is another thing..."

Wait, was it decided that Pikachu'd be the mascot after Ash caught him in the series? Because I thought Ash was originally going to have a Clefairy.

Pikachu with light ball is better than Raichu. So, comparing the two isn't very smart.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    You just lost the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SoManyWynaut View Post
    Wait, was it decided that Pikachu'd be the mascot after Ash caught him in the series? Because I thought Ash was originally going to have a Clefairy.
    Pikachu became the mascot due to its popularity stemmed from the series. Ash was originally going to have Clefairy be his starter due to influence from one of the first manga series, but that doesn't translate into "Clefairy was the original mascot"
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast