Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things in the Games You Want to Try

Default Things in the Games You Want to Try

Pokemon games have lots of mechanics, moves, Abilities, items, etc that make battles and such interesting. There are a LOT of combinations out there. Some are devastating while some are utterly pointless. But have you ever wondered what happens if you get some of those combinations to face off?

My starting example:

Arceus has the Multitype Ability. Its type changes depending on the Plate held, and so does its sprite. There are 18 sprites (not 17) in the 4th Generation games, 1 for each type and 1 extra that I'll mention later.

So, what would happen if something was to use Soak on Arceus? Would its type change to Water along with the sprite as if the Splash Plate was held? Or would Ability Multitype trigger and change the type back to what it was before Soak was used?

If you have any answers to these questions or have questions of your own, let's share them and literally "see what happens" if you do certain things with certain Pokemon.
    A recent RNG binge has left quite a few shiny IV 31 all (or practically 31 all) Legendary Pokemon left over, among others.
    I will gladly sell them to those who desire for interesting offers. Since I can RNG, a random shiny is as interesting to me as an ant is to a math professor.
    Shiny, Timid, IV 31 all: , x2
    Shiny, Jolly, IV 31 all:
    Shiny, Jolly, IVs: 31, 31, 31, 24, 31, 31: , , , ,
    Shiny, Timid, IV 31 all: x2
    Timid, IVs: 31, 4?, 31, 31, 26, 31: x6, x5

I've always wondered what would happen if a Pokemon was Encore'd and then Tormented. I've always speculated that the game would implode out of sheer confusion.

Or maybe the Pokemon just starts using Struggle on the turns it can't attack. Maybe Mean Look would also be needed so it might be possible to completely halt a battle as there are no choices whatsoever to do. Can't attack, can't switch out, can't run... What'd happen? Have to reset? What if a computer got locked in this position?

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Car View Post
    I've always wondered what would happen if a Pokemon was Encore'd and then Tormented. I've always speculated that the game would implode out of sheer confusion.

Or maybe the Pokemon just starts using Struggle on the turns it can't attack. Maybe Mean Look would also be needed so it might be possible to completely halt a battle as there are no choices whatsoever to do. Can't attack, can't switch out, can't run... What'd happen? Have to reset? What if a computer got locked in this position?
    Actually, I can still use Volt Switch/U-Turn/Baton Pass even though yer PKMN has been Block'd/Mean Look'd, nya~

Forgot about that. But what if you don't have those moves and you get locked into, say, Thunder? After using it once you won't be able to do anything and the battle will never progress past that turn in theory. Maybe the game has a failsafe against these kinds of things and prevents you from Encoring and then Tormenting the same Pokemon?

Forgot about that. But what if you don't have those moves and you get locked into, say, Thunder? After using it once you won't be able to do anything and the battle will never progress past that turn in theory. Maybe the game has a failsafe against these kinds of things and prevents you from Encoring and then Tormenting the same Pokemon?
    If you're locked by Encore/Choice Items and hit by Torment, you will Struggle. Had that happen a few times in the Battle Frontier. Similarly, Taunt + Torment works well against things that have 1 attacking move.
    A recent RNG binge has left quite a few shiny IV 31 all (or practically 31 all) Legendary Pokemon left over, among others.
    I will gladly sell them to those who desire for interesting offers. Since I can RNG, a random shiny is as interesting to me as an ant is to a math professor.
    Shiny, Jolly, IV 31 all:

Quote Originally Posted by DX Installation 05 View Post
    So, what would happen if something was to use Soak on Arceus? Would its type change to Water along with the sprite as if the Splash Plate was held? Or would Ability Multitype trigger and change the type back to what it was before Soak was used?
    Soak fails when used against Pokemon with Multitype.

I've always wondered what would happen if a Pokemon was Encore'd and then Tormented.
    Without moves, it uses Struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    i am this close to editing excitable boy's signature to ITS A JOKE for the next 5 months
    I should make this the signature of both sogeking & excitable boy

If you're locked by Encore/Choice Items and hit by Torment, you will Struggle. Had that happen a few times in the Battle Frontier. Similarly, Taunt + Torment works well against things that have 1 attacking move.
    Aw. I thought I was onto something here. :/

I... don't really have anything else intriguing or interesting that comes to mind. I'm sure others have more stuff they've been thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Soak fails when used against Pokemon with Multitype.
    Interesting. A fail-safe, I guess. But then, what about those with Forecast? Soak on Castform. Same deal as Multitype? If so, then I guess the move Soak fails when used against something with an Ability that changes the Pokemon's type.
    Shiny, Jolly, IV 31 all:

Interesting. A fail-safe, I guess. But then, what about those with Forecast? Soak on Castform. Same deal as Multitype? If so, then I guess the move Soak fails when used against something with an Ability that changes the Pokemon's type.
    Multitype is the only Ability that causes it to fail. It succeeds otherwise.

i am this close to editing excitable boy's signature to ITS A JOKE for the next 5 months

Multitype is the only Ability that causes it to fail. It succeeds otherwise.
    Never mind. I just realized that Forecast and Multitype are different. Multitype changes the Pokemon's type. Forecast changes the sprite/forme and is linked to the weather. If I had to guess, somewhere in the game's coding, there's something that's similar to "Condition: Weather = Rain. Action: Castform change to Water" (ignoring any particular computer language).

There is another thing related to Arceus, though. The 4th Generation games have 18 sprites for Arceus, discounting the shiny sprites. 17 for the 17 default types, and 1 for ??? type. Related to that, in the non-5th Generation games, if a Smeargle was to have Curse (??? type back then) and Conversion and nothing else and it used Conversion, what would happen?
    Shiny, Jolly, IV 31 all:

Related to that, in the non-5th Generation games, if a Smeargle was to have Curse (??? type back then) and Conversion and nothing else and it used Conversion, what would happen?
    Curse is not eligible to activate Conversion in Generations 2-4, meaning Conversion will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalzoe View Post
    what if a pokemon forgot amnesia?
    The Pokemon would no longer have the move in its moveset.

what if a pokemon disable disable?
    The move Disable would be Disabled.
    Last edited by Excitable Boy; 4th December 2012 at 10:49 PM.

what if a pokemon disable disable?
    Team X:

Curse is not eligible to activate Conversion, meaning Conversion will fail.
    Then I must really wonder where that ??? type Arceus sprite is used. My only idea was if Arceus was to have Curse and Conversion via hacks (I don't know of any glitches that apply to Arceus for this), its sprite would change to the ??? type to reflect such a thing. The game's error handler, so to speak (kinda like Missingno. and Bad Egg), for Arceus being changed into a type that it's not supposed to change into.

Any ideas?
    Shiny, Jolly, IV 31 all:

I assume they'd just regain their memory. Double negative.

Then I must really wonder where that ??? type Arceus sprite is used. My only idea was if Arceus was to have Curse and Conversion via hacks (I don't know of any glitches that apply to Arceus for this), its sprite would change to the ??? type to reflect such a thing. The game's error handler, so to speak (kinda like Missingno. and Bad Egg), for Arceus being changed into a type that it's not supposed to change into.
    It's probably just placeholder so the game doesn't crash if someone just directly hacks Arceus's type to be ???.

There is another thing I wanted to try but never got to. Ability Pickup in Generation V.

When not holding an item, Pickup "picks up" an item that was used up in the battle. Such as... picking up a used up Focus Sash in the middle of a battle. What happens if something with Pickup also has Fling? Does it pick up the flung item immediately? Does it only pick up an item at random? Or does the used up item have to be the opponent's?
    Shiny, Jolly, IV 31 all:

Pickup can pick up any item consumed by an ally or foe that isn't an Air Balloon or Eject Button, and any item Flung at the Pokemon with the Ability. Items are picked up at the turn's end, with faster Pokemon picking up items first.

Pickup can pick up any item consumed by an ally or foe that isn't an Air Balloon or Eject Button, and any item Flung at the Pokemon with the Ability. Items are picked up at the turn's end, with faster Pokemon picking up items first.
    I really need to try this. Because this means that something with Pickup will reuse consumed Berries (I don't want to know how this works), which makes the DW Ability Harvest pretty pointless. This also means, if you have an Ambipom with Pickup, move Fling, and hold item King's Rock, you can force the opponent to flinch every turn by Fling-ing said hold item and picking it back up for another Fling-ing at the end of the turn.
    Shiny, Jolly, IV 31 all:

Um, no. The item must be consumed by the ally or foe, and the item Flung must target the Pokemon with Pickup.

EDIT: I suppose you could steal the Berry infinitely in Doubles or Triples if you pair the Pickup Pokemo with a Harvest Pokemon, though.
    Last edited by Excitable Boy; 4th December 2012 at 11:49 PM.

Um, no. The item must be consumed by the ally or foe, and the item Flung must target the Pokemon with Pickup.

EDIT: I suppose you could steal the Berry infinitely in Doubles or Triples if you pair the Pickup Pokemo with a Harvest Pokemon, though.
    You know EVERYTHING don't you...?

You know EVERYTHING don't you...?
    As an anonymous stranger on the Internet, I am obligated by law to contain infinite, untold knowledge.

Isn't everyone?

Hahaha! K so, you know how Pokemon with regenerator heal when switched out? what if a pkmn was heal blocked, and then they used baton pass and put in a pokemon without full HP and that pkmn's ability was regenerator. would it gain HP?

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post
    Hahaha! K so, you know how Pokemon with regenerator heal when switched out? what if a pkmn was heal blocked, and then they used baton pass (or, omit the part b4 this) and put in a pokemon without full HP and that pkmn's ability was regenerator. would it gain HP?
    Heal Block only applies to moves, items, and specific draining and absorption Abilities. Regenerator's functionality is unaffected by Heal Block.

Baton Pass doesn't Pass Heal Block anyway, so it's irrelevant.

Ah. Didn't see the "at" part in "any item Flung at the Pokemon with the Ability". Makes sense. It seems the game designers thought that through, which is very nice.
    Shiny, Jolly, IV 31 all:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast