View Poll Results: Will Cilan(Dent) be in the next saga?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 48.72%
  • No

40 51.28%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Will Cilan Stay for the next Saga? *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    Actually it was done to show off Dragonite's strength. So really you have to blame Dragonite for being strong, which would be funny since a couple of weeks ago you had that dragonite avatar and was saying it was one of the best pokemon in BW. So what happened, sis? (as Kira/Ciccone would say)

Pretty sure Cilan isn't gonna pull some glorification on Ash. He's just a male sidekick.
    The answer was that I liked his personality, not his ability to ignore ice moves and steamroller everything in sight.Plus I' the only person on sppf who actually ships Iris/Dragonite I just don't like how they had to discredit Gerogia like that. At least Trip got the junior cup before his serperior got pwned by a pikachu.

You don't know that -.- he could turn out to be the shadow triad.

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Lol I like this saga, sure there are parts that could be better but I still like it.
    I'll reserve my judgement till the N saga ends, but how can you possibly like it after that league? the unova league will not only go down as the worst in history, but it's the first time ash has regressed in a league ranking, what a joke.

Anyways back to the topic, i find cilan funny in the original version, but his character doesn't fit the western audience, If you have watched the dub as of late he can say some strange things like

"team rocket leaves a bitter taste in my mouth"

That comment alone sums up cilan's awkwardness.
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    The answer was that I liked his personality, not his ability to ignore ice moves and steamroller everything in sight.Plus I' the only person on sppf who actually ships Iris/Dragonite I just don't like how they had to discredit Gerogia like that. At least Trip got the junior cup before his serperior got pwned by a pikachu.

You don't know that -.- he could turn out to be the shadow triad.
    I see...well don't worry because I think the ignoring ice moves and steamrolling is over now and Georgia said she's gonna train more which is a good thing since it prevents her from becoming comfortable. The next Iris/Georgia battle shall be a good one (and hopefully isn't 1vs1). Trip got the Junior Cup because the prize was battling Alder, which would wrap up Trip's main story amd give the Serperior species a good showcasing since it's the final evolution of one of the starters.

If Cilan is really in the shadow triad in the anime, then I'll give you credit in my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by HoennDreamer View Post
    I'll reserve my judgement till the N saga ends, but how can you possibly like it after that league? the unova league will not only go down as the worst in history, but it's the first time ash has regressed in a league ranking, what a joke.

Anyways back to the topic, i find cilan funny in the original version, but his character doesn't fit the western audience, If you have watched the dub as of late he can say some strange things like

"team rocket leaves a bitter taste in my mouth"

That comment alone sums up cilan's awkwardness.
    Cuz the whole saga isn't defined jut by the league lol. If that was true I would despise Sinnoh.

And I still think the first league was the worst. Other then the Kingler battle that whole league was meh.

Lol the quote you posted isn't even a Dento phrase, people have been saying that for ages on TV.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

After thinking it over, I'm honestly not sure how much of a chance Dento has to stay on the main cast. I *think* he has a somewhat middling chance of staying but I wouldn't be surprised if he left at the end of BW either. It seems more up-in-the-air at this point, especially when I'm not sure if they writers would have him be an A-Class Sommelier for another whole saga and his goal in general is a bit vague and shaky. Before I was a bit more sure of him staying.
    Last edited by Encyclopika; 26th December 2012 at 5:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Ideals View Post
    Cilan had a bigger chance staying than Iris, because until info of 6 gen cones, potential travel partners are up there.
    But why say that Cilan has a better chance of staying than Iris, and then basically say that they could both leave? I mean I obviously don't agree - I think the chances of Iris staying are higher - but the way you put it is a bit confusing. :x

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Um No LOL, the entire battle was just to humiliate Georgia as much as possible to glorify Iris as a bad trainer who rode dragonite to victory.
    Iris was not glorified, neither in the anime nor around here. She received so much hate just because she beat her rival with a Pokemon that was technically at a type disadvantage even though we've seen those kinds of battles before. If anything, the fact that she had to be given a Dragonite should prove that she can't leave the main cast yet since her team isn't developed enough to give Iris closure. She needs more development and screen-time, which cannot be said about Cilan.

Well looking back at the past, yes Dento has a better chance but still this is BW where everything is changing.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Cilan doesn't have a future, so he has more of a chance to stay. Hopefully he doesn't get some random goal inserted at the end of Episode N that completely changes his character path. We've never had that before.

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

I think Cilan staying is 50/50. I wouldn't mind if he stays or goes. I think we all know that Iris is leaving though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Iris has to go since she is the opelucid gym leader now.
    IMO Cilan will also leave coz i think he'll not go outside unova (just my opinion). And i wud be glad if he went away. Brock was always much better than him!
    The Ultimate Kalos Team:

Greninja
    Noivern
    Tyrantrum
    Aegislash
    Talonflame
    Florges

What Ash will get from above:

Greninja
    Talonflame
    Florges

There's really no way of knowing. They are not focusing on him as much recently and they are focusing on Iris so that could mean that Iris is leaving soon and they aren't focusing much on Cilan because they know he will stay.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonMasters View Post
    Iris has to go since she is the opelucid gym leader now.
    Iris isn't a Gym Leader at the moment and even though she probably will become one eventually, it doesn't have to happen when BW ends. If Ash is able to break his promises, then Iris should at least be able to prolong her period of freedom. They're essentially the same thing. Cilan on the other hand, is an actual Gym Leader still as I was so kindly reminded a few months back. He still holds the title so he shouldn't be able to travel around tons of other regions so casually; he has responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    Iris isn't a Gym Leader at the moment and even though she probably will become one eventually, it doesn't have to happen when BW ends. If Ash is able to break his promises, then Iris should at least be able to prolong her period of freedom. They're essentially the same thing. Cilan on the other hand, is an actual Gym Leader still as I was so kindly reminded a few months back. He still holds the title so he shouldn't be able to travel around tons of other regions so casually; he has responsibilities.
    Sadly, the tradition has been established that the girl will leave at the end of her generation. Misty was the only one who stayed for two generations but that's not likely to ever be repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    There's really no way of knowing. They are not focusing on him as much recently and they are focusing on Iris so that could mean that Iris is leaving soon and they aren't focusing much on Cilan because they know he will stay.
    This is what I've been thinking too.

Sadly, the tradition has been established that the girl will leave at the end of her generation. Misty was the only one who stayed for two generations but that's not likely to ever be repeated.
    Misty stayed for two generations, but she didn't go beyond the original series, which encompassed both. She left when it ended. That's the point: each girls lasts only one series, and I highly doubt Iris will stay unless the next generation/region is still the Best Wishes series.

3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

Iris story arc is pretty much done though dispite the fact that shes not a gym leader yet, Dento like I said isn't even close to achiving his goal and hasn't gotten much attention as of late, Brock was a gym leader too yet he was able to travel around for how many years with Ash? Plus he has brothers older than him who can look after the place.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

That doesn't bother me tbh. It is the same as you join competitions IRL. You don't reach a higher position each time you enter one. Pretty realistic imho.

Banner made by me.(With my epic paint skills)
    Current Status Sarefan:

• Badges: 8
    • Exploring Kalos, catching more pokémon.
    • Training with Kyael
    "A Pokémon is just as strong as his trainer" -- Sarefan

I remember when people thought dawn and may were going to stay, look how that turned out?

Cilan isn't staying

Although that's just me hoping.
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Quote Originally Posted by Ver-mont View Post
    Misty stayed for two generations, but she didn't go beyond the original series, which encompassed both. She left when it ended. That's the point: each girls lasts only one series, and I highly doubt Iris will stay unless the next generation/region is still the Best Wishes series.
    And keep in mind that at the start of Johto there were no girls to replace her with. No female playable character existed at the start of GS, and all the Johto female Gym leaders are too old.

Whitney, Jasmine, Claire, etc. were all adults, none of them was a kid enough to be like Misty or Iris on the cast.

Also if Misty did leave at the end of Orange, she only would have been around for roughly 130 episodes.

What promises are you talking about exactly? And even thought she isn't a gymleader she pretty much has the pokemon to pretty much hold her own. It seems like Ash is the one that doesn't really belong in the group with the type of pokemon he has now. And Cilan is an A class whatever it's called, so there really any need for either of them to stay.

My ideal battle ever!

Lets face it only reason why people give Cilan higher chance of staying than Iris has is because writers already did exception once with male sidekicks when they kept Brock. But if we are going to talk about making exception to rule, than someone could argue how Iris might be "exception to rule" as well.

Way i see it Cilan chances to stay aren't really promising at all. Of course in theory he might stay but past events doesn't support this theory much at all.

Lack of development and room for further growth? Irrelevant because majority characters which left cast in past had potential to be done more with no one accomplishing his dreams except Tracey. Writing staff pretty much made it painfully clear how character development and doing more with some character creating continuation isn't on list of their priorities. Horrible way of thinking but cruel reality is how advertizing was always infinitely more important than development in pokemon.

To add stability to main cast treating pokemon series story as more cohesive entity? Writers flushed down the toilet this idea when they replaced already established male sidekick who was kept for years for apparent continuity purposes(Brock).

Logically it doesn't make much sense to replace long lived established companion like Brock after more than decade to bring in another guy who will be kept for years. Fact that they did indicates to me how they will try to apply same approach when it comes to male characters like they are dong with girls starting to constantly replace them joining rest of crew of long forgotten and abandoned companions fading into oblivion.

Popularity doesn't mean much either because ton of highly popular characters got replaced already.

In nutshell theoretically Cilan could stay to balance constant cast cycling out and provide additional familiar face to who people could relate associating series with, but right now all factors ad patterns from past especially after Brock being kicked out despite long stay) are pointing in opposite direction.

So while i wouldn't mind Cilan staying if anything because i would find dreadful to have male companions being replaced so often like females are, in reality his chances aren't very good at all.

For stability and continuity purposes, it's better to keep cilan than bringing in two more new characters. Cilan has been here for almost 3 years and he hasn't done much other than cook and bring knowledge. There's no reason why he can't stay.
    Ironic thing is that same argument can be used for girl characters stay.

We have so many great companions which have potential to offer more. There are so many new ideas and unexplored directions which could bring new life to Misty, May, soon enough Cilan, Iris etc reinventing and adding a whole new interesting note to them.
    And its sad that because of writers laziness we don't see them investing more in someone who proven to be popular coming up with innovative ideas to keep characters interesting and fresh, making us learn new things .Instead of focusing more on one character building up on its story, they are rather introducing constantly new companions giving us fragment of half developed characters which leave unfinished despite having potential to offer more turning anime in mess which lacks cohesive story, have very little continuity and highly unbalanced cast having no brand to which people could associate series with.

Iris has a higher chance of staying in the main cast due to her goal being far off.
    From story standpoint your right, with Iris dreams having technically enough material to last for extended period growing on bigger things. Unfortunately story and development doesn't influence character stay at all. Misty had goal of becoming water master having room to be done a lot in that unexplored area, but writers still replaced her leaving unfinished job. Same applies to extent to May which had more to learn about becoming top coordinator etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ver-mont View Post
    Although originally writers intended to keep Misty as permanent female protagonist, which explains why she lasted a bit longer than other girls did.

Idea of constant character replacing wasn't born until middle of Johto.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    Iris story arc is pretty much done though dispite the fact that shes not a gym leader yet, Dento like I said isn't even close to achiving his goal and hasn't gotten much attention as of late,
    I doubt this would stop writers in keeping or replacing characters. Since they can always if want do sequel to Iris story or just leave things unfinished about Cilan to make room for new companion.

It wouldn't be first time they did such thing.

[I]I remember when people thought dawn and may were going to stay, look how that turned out?
    Don't forget Misty, most didn't expected she will leave at all back than.

He also has two brothers running the gym, similar to how Brock has Forrest. The chances of Cilan progressing and trying to become an S-class connoisseur are probably way more likely than him going back to being a gym leader.

Now that I think about it, for what reason Iris is traveling with Ash? Pikachu didn't crisp her bike and Ash never asked her to join him. Her intoduction seemed a little bit forced.+

Iris has no chances of staying if there's a new generation to come. Dento has some chances, but I don't want him to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Whitney, Jasmine, Claire, etc. were all adults, none of them was a kid enough to be like Misty or Iris on the cast.
    Whitney could've worked well in the main cast, she might look grown-up but she has that kiddish behavior when she loses (in the games I mean) that would've benn funny to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by DMerle View Post
    He also has two brothers running the gym, similar to how Brock has Forrest. The chances of Cilan progressing and trying to become an S-class connoisseur are probably way more likely than him going back to being a gym leader.
    Now many trainers choose Oshawott because there's no Pansage to ruin their first gym challenge by disadvantage xD
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    Now many trainers choose Oshawott because there's no Pansage to ruin their first gym challenge by disadvantage xD
    And even if he does return he seems to have acquired a Crustle fixation during his travels.
    Last edited by DMerle; 26th December 2012 at 6:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    Now that I think about it, for what reason Iris is traveling with Ash? Pikachu didn't crisp her bike and Ash never asked her to join him. Her intoduction seemed a little bit forced.+
    To boost her self esteem by always having someone to insult of course.

Pansear

If you ask me, Cilan has much better chance of staying then Iris does. She's leaving to become the gym leader of Opelucid City. If they had Cilan leave, who would travel with Ash then? Maybe he should travel alone for once.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast