Thread: Alice in winter land! (VGC 13 Hail team)

Default Alice in winter land! (VGC 13 Hail team)

Hey everyone! I have been trying to do new things that I have never done before so I chose to make a hail team.

Team Preview~

The Team~

@ Focus sash
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 4 HP 164 Atk 252 SpA 4 SpD 84 Spd
    Modest nature
    -Ice shard
    -Blizzard
    -Giga Drain
    -Protect

Abomasnow is the star of the team but he needs alot of support for him to be at his full potential. I gave him a sash because he isn't that fast and he has lots of weaknesses. The EVs let me outspeed base speed 70s like politoed, hitmontop, Metagross, and breloom. I put max SpA EVs so his blizzard can be more powerful and it lets me 2KO politoed and tyranitar(not in sand) with giga drain. The Atk EVs let me 2KO Garchomp, Dragonite, and salamance(not after intimidate) with ice shard. And it 3KOs other dragon types and genies. The rest of the EVs were dumped into HP and SpD.

@ Sitrus berry
    Trait: Senera Grace
    EVs: 252 HP 212 SpD 44 Spd
    Calm nature
    -Aura Sphere
    -Air slash
    -Thunder wave
    -Follow me

Togekiss kills off Rock, Bug, Fighting, and steel types(threats to abomasnow) with Air slash and Aura sphere. The EVs let me out speed Cresselias by 1 point so I can T-wave them or air slash them. The rest of the EVs I dumped into HP and SpD for bulk. I chose T-wave because most pokemon on this team are slow and T-wave lets them outspeed other pokemon they regular can't. Follow me is great so all attacks can hit togekiss instead of my partner but easily countered but Attacks that hit multiple targets.

@ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 244 HP 52 Def 180 SpA 4 SpD 28 Spd
    Modest nature
    -Substitute
    -Heat wave
    -Earth power
    -Protect

Heatran is a great counter to most of abomasnow's weaknesses. He Can damage Rock, Steel, Bug, and fire heavily with Heat wave and Earthpower. The EVs let it tank a Close combat fighting gem from a hitmontop (after intimidate), a Tyranitar's low kick is a 3KO (after intimidate), A Garchomp's earthquake (after intimidate) and more. The speed EVs let it outspeed Base speed 80s by 1 point. The rest of the EVs were put into SpA and SpD.

@ Dark Gem
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP 252 SpA 252 Spd
    Modest nature
    -Dark Pulse
    -Draco meteor
    -Flamethrower
    -Substitute

OK I chose Hydreigon because I have a weakness to Cresselia. Dark pulse Dark gem with Helping hand boost lets me KO Ray's Cresselia set 100% of the time. Draco meteor helping hand KOs Bulky thundurus Which one from a timid latios can't. Flamethrower is to hit scizor and metagross. I choose substitute because A cresselia's Icy wind can't break it.

@ Fighting gem
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP 156 Atk 84 Def 4 SpD 12 Spd
    Careful nature
    -Fake out
    -Close Combat
    -Sucker punch
    -Helping hand

I chose hitmontop so I can Kill Tyranitar's and other threats with Close combat. The EVs let me Live a Psychic or a Psyshock From a timid latios and 2KO it with Sucker punch. Also it lets me KO chople berry Tyranitar with Close combat. I put 12 EVs in Spd so I can out speed base speed 70s with 4 EVs invested in Spd. I chose Helping hand because After a Close combat I am almost useless so I can help my partner before I am finished off.

@ Earth gem
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP 20 Def 100 SpA 136 SpD
    Modest nature
    -Earth power
    -Muddy water
    -Recover/Icy wind/Blizzard
    -Protect

Gasrtidon and Heatran are a great combo. Gastidon takes the water attacks while Heatran Kills Grass types. The SpD EVs let me tank a draco meteor dragon gem from a timid Latios or a modest Hydreigon. The Def EVs let me tanks a Close combat fighting gem from a Hitmontop. The SpA Evs let me KO 252 HP Metagross with Earth power. The last slot I am unsure about... I can have him be a blizzard abuser or more support mon with icy wind or recover.

Thanks to Drizzleboy12 for building the team for me and testing it.
    Last edited by firemaster01; 18th January 2013 at 1:58 AM.
    Hey I just met you and this is crazy but here's my friend code 1077 7310 5520 so friend me maybe.

Hey trident20 I am mocking you lololllolol.

js you need to add abilities, that'd be helpful for raters. I suggest using for hitmontop:
    max Hp and Atk, Technician, Fake Out, Sucker Punch, Mach Punch, Bullet Punch/Protect/Detect (in case of imprison)
    Gastrodon may better use a water gem, for hitting both opponents hard once.
    Why, why is this a Hail team? Nothing benefits from it, you're hindering yourself. No one use Blizzard or has Ice Body, everything takes residual damage. (Or is it soundsproof Aboma? ) either way, replace it with something that aids the team. (I dunno what cuz im no good at VGC)
    The Netherlands:
    ORAS Demo available at:
    - Nintendo Autumn Tour. Dates and locations found >here<
    - Using Nintendo Zone in a Game Mania store
    - Send me a VM, I have 1 extra code.

Shiny Gengar:
    - Autumn Tour, see above.

I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

Well, like SkyDriver VGC is not really my thing, but I'd also like to know why this is a Hail team. To be honest, it looks like you stuck Abomasnow on a team and called it Hail because of that. You have nothing that benefits from Hail save Abomasnow, and everything else is hurt by it. You're just hurting yourself really, once Abomasnow falls your own Hail will get in your way. Blizzard hits both targets in doubles IIRC, so incorporating that more into your team seems like it would be beneficial. Porygon-Z doesn't get STAB with it but it still spams Blizzard reasonably well, for example.

I haven't really played a lot of Hail, but if you really want this to be a Hail team you need more that actually benefits from it. Not everything has to be immune of course, but you do need stuff that benefits it. Like the aforementioned Blizzard spammer, for example.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Errrr... Glaceon and Froslass would be great Blizzard spammers for the team, just saying.
    For trade:
    Legendaries- Shiny rash , Shiny relaxed , Sassy , , 2 (one docile, one lax), , , (DW event), , ,

DW(non-female)- ,

DW females-

Friend Codes:
    White- 2537 7184 5779

Name: Nike
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    With enough skill, you can put any pokemon here

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDriver View Post
    js you need to add abilities, that'd be helpful for raters. I suggest using for hitmontop:
    max Hp and Atk, Technician, Fake Out, Sucker Punch, Mach Punch, Bullet Punch/Protect/Detect (in case of imprison)
    Gastrodon may better use a water gem, for hitting both opponents hard once.
    Why, why is this a Hail team? Nothing benefits from it, you're hindering yourself. No one use Blizzard or has Ice Body, everything takes residual damage. (Or is it soundsproof Aboma? ) either way, replace it with something that aids the team. (I dunno what cuz im no good at VGC)
    Well Technitop isn't good in VGC. Also I use Hitmontop as a support mon not a Attacker
    I need ground gem to be able to KO metagross which is important
    You are right it isn't a complete Hail team but I mainly use it to counter Drizzle which it completly ruins.
    Quote Originally Posted by loco1234 View Post
    Well, like SkyDriver VGC is not really my thing, but I'd also like to know why this is a Hail team. To be honest, it looks like you stuck Abomasnow on a team and called it Hail because of that. You have nothing that benefits from Hail save Abomasnow, and everything else is hurt by it. You're just hurting yourself really, once Abomasnow falls your own Hail will get in your way. Blizzard hits both targets in doubles IIRC, so incorporating that more into your team seems like it would be beneficial. Porygon-Z doesn't get STAB with it but it still spams Blizzard reasonably well, for example.
    I haven't really played a lot of Hail, but if you really want this to be a Hail team you need more that actually benefits from it. Not everything has to be immune of course, but you do need stuff that benefits it. Like the aforementioned Blizzard spammer, for example.
    Well I only use abomasnow to counter Rain , Dragon types, And Genies which are extremely popular. I don't use him 100% of the time.

And Porgon-Z is horrible in VGC Because there are so many hitmontops.

BTW only people who are "good" at VGC post. I don't want people who don't know anything about the metagame posting in this thread.
    Hey I just met you and this is crazy but here's my friend code 1077 7310 5520 so friend me maybe.

Hey trident20 I am mocking you lololllolol.

If you notice, I was using Porygon-Z as an example of a Blizzard spammer. Need one that gets around Top? Froslass says hi.

You're calling this a Hail team, but I don't even need to know VGC to know it definitely is not a Hail team. If it says Hail team in the title, people will assume it's meant to be a Hail team and rate it as such.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Hail isn't mostly used to have pokemon benefit from it, it's more used as a counter to other weather teams because it is such an uncommon weather
        Spoiler:- Favorite Pokes:

Spoiler:- What am I?:

This post hurt me a little :'(
    Quote Originally Posted by firemaster01 View Post
    Well Technitop isn't good in VGC. Also I use Hitmontop as a support mon not a Attacker
    I need ground gem to be able to KO metagross which is important
    You are right it isn't a complete Hail team but I mainly use it to counter Drizzle which it completly ruins.

Well I only use abomasnow to counter Rain , Dragon types, And Genies which are extremely popular. I don't use him 100% of the time.

And Porgon-Z is horrible in VGC Because there are so many hitmontops.

BTW only people who are "good" at VGC post. I don't want people who don't know anything about the metagame posting in this thread.
    I'd like to say that TechniTop isn't the popular choice for VGCs, but it isn't bad. I ran TechniTop for the longest time, and almost preferred it over Intimidate. This could be just me though...
    Also, Porygon-Z, I really love him. He has a huge movepool combine with an average speed and high SpA, which can make him pretty threatening to average speed teams. The funny part is, I ran a Normal Gem Hyper Beam set before, and really loved him, but I'm not telling you to use the guy since I see nothing he can do for your team.

Oh, if you want a REAL blizzard abuser: Rotom-F is where it's at!

Anyway, your team doesn't seem to have any glaring weaknesses, and it seems fine to me.
    There are a few ideas I'd like to offer:
    1. Maybe try out shuca berry or a chople berry on Heatran. He should be able to set up a Substitute even after being hit with a Ground/Fighting attack (depending on the berry, of course). A Heatran behind a sub is probably one of the most annoying things I know.
    2. Give Gastrodon recover. IT is the most annoying thing. This will cause your opponents to aim their attacks toward Gastrodon, letting your partners have a nice time killing your opponent.
    3. Earth Power on Hydreigon? IT allows you to take out Heatrans as well.

I hope I helped somewhat... Good Luck in future competitions!

My FC: 2594-9889-0820