Thread: Debut Team

Default Debut Team

Almost a week ago I decided to start playing competitively, so I started researching, comparing, choosing, designing and training all the elements of my first team. Here is the result:

Scizor

Item: White Herb
    Ability: Technician
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Defense, 4 Defense.
    Moveset:
    Baton Pass
    Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    Agility

Scizor's function in the team is resist hits so he can boost Braviary's Speed twice with Agility. If he's faster than the opponent and hasn't been hit too hard, he also boosts once with Swords Dance, to finally Baton Pass the boosts to Braviary. Bullet Punch is there because I didn't want to leave him without means of dealing some damage if needed. Thanks to Technician and the STAB, it makes decent damage. His Mind Herb prevents the boosts from being canceled.
    He's trained to resist as much as possible in battle, and thanks to his awesome typing his only fear is fire.

Braviary

Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Sheer Force
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP.
    Moveset:
    Return
    Superpower
    Shadow Claw
    Brave Bird

Braviary is specifically designed for 1HKO'ing practically anything that isn't a wall. His moveset covers most types with SE hits, and those that aren't covered get an agressive amount of neutral damage. The Choice Band in combination with the boosts Scizor passed him assure maximum damage, and thanks to his decent Speed stat he can outrun most Pokémon that aren't particullary fast. However, he is pretty frail, and can be easily knockeddown if outrunned.
    Return is his main attack backed up by the STAB, with Superpower as a desperate measure if he needs to break a Steel, Rock or Ice type. Brave Bird also gets a STAB and deals a humungous amount of damage that only very defensive Electric, Rock and Steel Pokémon have a chance of surviving. Shadow Claw is there in case of Ghost or Psychic types.

Claydol
    Item: Light Clay
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 Defense, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Defense.
    Moveset:
    Light Screen
    Reflect
    Rapid Spin
    Psyshock/Earth Power

Claydol is a Spinner that is powerful in both defenses. Thanks to this he can last many turns without getting in real trouble. Other than that, he can use Light Screen and Reflect to back up Braviary's weak defenses (as well as making a possible Offensive Tank out of Infernape, at least for 8 turns.
    His Earth Power is there for the same reason Scizor has Bullet Punch. I still can't decide if I should change it for Psyshock, so advice is appreciated.

Heatran
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 Sp. Defense, 244 HP, 12 Sp. Attack
    Moveset:
    Lava Plume
    Toxic
    Torment
    Protect

Good ol' Torment Heatran, with a few tweaks here and there. He's designed for endurance and residual damage, a Wall made specifically for annoying the opponent.

Infernape
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Blaze
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Speed, 4 HP, 252 Attack.
    Moveset:
    Heat Wave
    Close Combat
    Grass Knot
    Thunderpunch

Mixed Infernape, designed as a fast Sweeper with great type coverage. If he manages to receive boosts from Claydol or Scizor, his attacks are lethal. Sad part is that his Life Orb takes him down too quickly.

Ferrothorn
    Item: Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP, 88 Defense, 168 Sp. Defense.
    Moveset:
    Stealth Rock
    Giga Drain
    Substitute
    Thunder Wave

He's very hard to take down and his main offense is combined residual damage from Iron Barbs, Rocky Helmet and Stealth Rock. He provides type coverage for the rest of the team, and can also cripple the opponent with Thunder Wave. Thanks to Substitute and Giga Drain, his presence in battle is extended greatly.

Please give feedback, and give your opinion overall. It's my first team so I still don't know how good it is. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by QuestionClaw; 14th December 2012 at 6:59 PM.

Oh no he's a Homestuck.

I can't give much feedback but on heatran instead of running Lava Plum why not run Flamethrower instead? Flamethrower is stronger just with a lower burn chance and if you are going to run toxic no need to sacrifice the power since you can't proc both status effects.
    Pokemon Black- Pokemon White 2
    1592 4058 0009 - 1850 9498 0126
    OPPA GENGAR STYLE
    Team Deceiving Rain:
    Team Raining Keldeos: ::

DW Ability Females:

Fully Ev Trained:

On Ferrothorn it would be better to run Power Whip over Giga drain to take advantage of his higher attack. While you have EVed him to act as a sweeper, your Ferrothorn set is more oriented towards either support or walling. I would suggest goign with a more standard set, to set up hazards and spread thunderwave.

Ferrothorn
    Ability: Iron Bards
    Nature: +Def/Special Def, -Speed
    EVs: 252 HP, 168 Defense, 88 Defense
    IVs: Speed 0
    Moveset:
    Stealth Rock
    Leech Seed
    Gyro Ball
    Thunder Wave

Same basic idea as the set you already have, however with much more bulk, and with minimized speed, Gyro Ball will hit a lot of foes really hard.

I would change Infernape to either Naive or Hasty Nature with your current set, or teach is Flare Blitz over Heat Wave.
    Take a moment to consider just how nothing nothing really is....If you understand this, then you just solved the universe.

The truth that each person...each soul...is a book. And when we lay our feelings out in the open...and we give them no name...and we give them no author....and we give them no description.....who will actually read them..........?"

Credit to Eevee for the amazing banner.
    Current fanfiction project: Pokemon: Absolution

Claydol isn't really best for using Reflect and Light Screen. There are other Pokemon in OU that do it better, like Bronzong. Since you want to have a spinner, I suggest using the standard smogon set for Claydol.

Claydol @ Leftovers
    Nature: Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
    Moves:
    Stealth Rock
    Ice Beam
    Earthquake
    Rapid Spin

However, Claydol is pretty much outclassed in OU because there are far better Rapid Spinners available, like Donphan/Starmie/Forretress.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMuse View Post
    On Ferrothorn it would be better to run Power Whip over Giga drain to take advantage of his higher attack. While you have EVed him to act as a sweeper, your Ferrothorn set is more oriented towards either support or walling. I would suggest goign with a more standard set, to set up hazards and spread thunderwave.

Ferrothorn
    Ability: Iron Bards
    Nature: +Def/Special Def, -Speed
    EVs: 252 HP, 168 Defense, 88 Defense
    IVs: Speed 0
    Moveset:
    Stealth Rock
    Leech Seed
    Gyro Ball
    Thunder Wave

Same basic idea as the set you already have, however with much more bulk, and with minimized speed, Gyro Ball will hit a lot of foes really hard.

I would change Infernape to either Naive or Hasty Nature with your current set, or teach is Flare Blitz over Heat Wave.

I messed up because I copied and pasted the formated info charts. Ferrothorn's EVs are like you suggested.

Oh no he's a Homestuck.