View Poll Results: Will you be participating?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (Don't forget to fill in the registration form!!)

43 84.31%
  • Maybe

4 7.84%
  • No

4 7.84%
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 VGCS Winter Battle: The Wi-Fi Tournament Discusion Thread

DANG lost to some rng'd rain team...again.

10-2-0

i am finally getting my luck on!
    i am 1599 ranking! :3

Just fought someone with a shiny palpitoad.... They had all fire types a speed boost Blaziken and the palpitoad. Beat em though

All right, 2 battles, and I won both of them. Not bad! But, it's early days yet. Plenty of time for my ranking to go down, lol!

This last battle was really interesting though. It was my Sableye, Dusknoir, Slowking, and Gastrodon vs. their Flygon, Zoroark, Emboar, and Braviary.

Zoroark came out masquerading as Braviary (which I did not expect. I'm still so used to seeing people mask Zoroark as Volcarona), and it used Bounce while Flygon used Fly. Interesting technique! Not that it did either one much good, I managed to get off WoW and Trick Room before the hits connected, and the free turn allowed me to switch in Slowking who started powering up Gastrodon while getting my Dusknoir out without a scratch. Both hits targeted Slowking (allowing Sableye to get out without taking any damage), and one was a crit, but he still took it like a champ and fired off those Surfs. Even the Flygon's Thunderpunch wasn't enough to finish him, and actually triggered his berry. If it hadn't been for that one crit, I may have been able to keep Slowking alive and make it a 4-0. As it was, I lost only him while all my other 'mons were in green health. Not too shabby!

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

that sounds like they were using an in game team...xD

Quote Originally Posted by joej m View Post
    that sounds like they were using an in game team...xD
    Maybe, but I think there was definite strategy there. If that had been against an all-out offensive team (which is highly popular), it would have been a way of avoiding damage, keeping up Zoroark's illusion, and surprising the opponent while they switch out to something that can handle the flying-attacks. The opponent might have ended up switching to something Zoroark would be able to handle, in an attempt to get rid of that Braviary. I'll agree that it wasn't the best strategy (She was facing two Ghosts from the beginning, which was the best case scenario for her Zoroark. She should have just fired off a Snarl from the beginning. Besides that, better to mimic something that calls for a counter that Zoroark can take out, like mimicking a Poison type to entice a Psychic type), and probably it was a strategy they came up with in-game. But still, I think they did better in thinking things out than the previous player I faced.

EDIT:
    And there's battle 3! I lost, but it was only a 1-0, so I'm okay with that. n_n My Sableye, Dusknoir, Gastrodon, and Lickilicky vs. their Volcarona, Politoed, Milotic, and Kabutops.

I totally miscalculated and taunted their Volcarona, fearing it was the Quiver Dancing variety. That let their Politoed get a Toxic in, and I wasted a turn. I still need to practice my prediction, it seems! All the same, my Gastrodon proved what a powerhouse he is. 1 boost from a Surf let him OHKO Kabutops and put a nice dent in their Milotic. Not too shabby!

EDIT 2:
    There's battle #4. Another loss, and this time it was 0-3. My Sableye, Dusknoir, Gastrodon, and Licklicky (can you see the pattern here? xD) vs. Tyranitar, Excadrill, Heatran, and Landorus.
    But hey, I'm not gonna complain about my dudes losing to those monsters. n_n If it hadn't been for Heatran burning Gastrodon and getting a crit on Lickilicky in one shot, that would have been a much closer battle. Saw a shiny Lando for the first time, too. Kind of an ugly thing, but whatever. They can't all be great, and it's still better than shiny Garchomp. xD
    Last edited by zozo; 14th December 2012 at 6:00 PM.

My Youtube battle videos

anyone else having connectivity issues? ive been dropped in my last 3 matches...

Maybe thats Nintendo's way of saying I should take a break after 35 consecutive battles...

26-9-0 with 8 drops, 5 of which I was up by at least 2... super sadness.

Yeah, I've been having a bit of a connection issue. I guess the server is kind of loaded. xD

There's #5. 0-2, only a moderate amount of hax (though that one paralyzed turn was possibly the game-changer.) and some good predicting by my opponent. If only I'd been able to trick his blasted Volcarona... Oh well.
    My Sableye, Lickilicky, Gastrodon, and Gliscor vs. his Tyranitar, Garchomp, Volcarona, and Cresselia.

I'm not at all upset about that battle though, cause I curbstomped his stupid cress. xD That made it all worthwhile, I hate those things. Things might have been different if I had been smarter though. There was one point where I tried to Trick a lagging tail onto his Volcarona (which would have been a game-changer), and he protected. I knew he was just scouting, but I Tricked again anyway and he sent out his Garchomp. I should have seen that coming and WoW'd instead. But, it's a moot point. My Sableye got fully paralyzed that turn, so it didn't really matter. xD

Anyway, I'm taking a break for now and getting something to eat. (: Happy battling everyone!

My Youtube battle videos

i am getting awesome luck now!
    i burned this guys team... the entire team with my zapdos's heat wave! xD

OT: Anthony
    Trainer Sprite: Ace Trainer
    Friend Code: 2108-6509-9829
    Team:

Figured I should try to participate in the discussion of one of these competitions this time. I've actually played in every wi-fi competition since the 2011 Autumn Friendly, I just never bothered to post in any of the threads.
    Anyway, I'm currently about 10 wins and 5 losses with a rating over 1600 (haven't bothered to check the exact number yet).

Made by Tini (FrozenConstellation).
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Kitsune Yoko Kurama View Post
    Wow, mention Liepard, and everyone's active. I should do this more often.

Because of the overloaded servers, I got hit with a 1 hour suspension... I've never quit anything in my 21 years on this planet, and now I'm getting penalized.. This is some crud Nintendo.. I don't even know what to say..

I've been a part of every doubles competition since JAA 06. Need I say more?! I have experienced a drop of some sort 15 times. I have only 36 reported battles after 11 hours of consecutive battles because of this.

Nintendo is notorious for lackluster matchmaking support, and it is overly apparent today. I miss the days that require a 7 hour road trip to compete in sanctioned events. I've faced probably 8 other people from the midwest today, even though I came out on top against them all I still would have rather battled them in Tennessee, or southern Ohio like the good ol' days. Call me old fashioned, but simply because these servers are wretched, I believe that the original format of "Go to the mall, and wait and hope" is a more sound procedure.

Plus I know hax when I see them. Why can't the battle box?

*Rant concluded*

i have never had a problem with it... >.>
    i am 1608! finally getting my good streak on! :3

So, I just battled a guy...and on his team was, of all things, a level 1 Aron. I was expecting a Metal Burst version of the FEQR, but he didn't use it. Just Krookodile, Gyarados, and a couple of others that I've already forgotten.

...on a side note, Krookodile was named "Rabigator" because it was in a different language. I find that name interesting. XD
    Current fanfics:

Proving Grounds

How far will one boy go to prove something?

i have 1655! some awesome luck today! :3

Well, I managed to get off two more battles before returning to work for the second part of my shift. My standings are:
    4 wins
    3 losses
    0 d/cs (although the first guy tried to)

These last two were rather interesting. The first was Sableye, Dusknoir, Gastrodon, and Lickilicky vs. Altaria, Dragonite, Hydreigon, and Samurott. Either it was an in-game team, or they just enjoyed doing things a tricky way because the Samurott ran Ice Beam and the Hydreigon had outrage/Dragon Rush. The Dragonite either lacked Multiscale or I have under-estimated a boosted Gastrodon's effectiveness at using Ice Beam. Gastrodon once again proved how killer he was at tanking hits. Lickilicky ran amok and did a fine job of boosting up Gastrodon and getting in some killer hits of his own when Gastrodon went down.

In the second one, I decided to forego Trick Room and use Sableye, Gliscor, Lickilicky, and Gastrodon. I went up against Virizion, Zoroark (masquerading as Milotic. Another interesting strategy! I still suck at figuring out which Pokemon Zoroark is, lol!) something I've already forgotten (I got past it pretty easily) and Milotic. Sableye missed her WoW on the first turn and Taunted the Zoroark (which I still thought was Milotic) which would have spelled trouble if I was not up against another in-game team. Seems I'm either up against in-game teams that lack training or killer RNGd teams, nothing in between (which is my level). I've still got lots to learn, it appears! n_n

Anyway, I'm off to work. Have fun, everyone!

My Youtube battle videos

this is going o much worse then the other friendly

8/9-9-0 meh

just won against a tailwind team 4-0
    Proud member of Club Double Trouble

Thank you for the VGC Sub-Forum <3

I just got horn drilled by a seaking.. QQ

edit: twice.

The number of babies I want to strangle is incalculable.
    Last edited by mrviewtiful; 14th December 2012 at 7:51 PM.

just won vs a guy running max defense cresslia
    my metagross OKO'd it with dat meteor mash.

11-2-0

nice job! what is your ranking~?

nice job! what is your ranking~?
    somewhere in the early 1600's. every time i get into the 1650's though i lose to a dang rain team...-_-

you dont have a rain team counter?

you dont have a rain team counter?
    not really, but my breeloom's gem boosted mach punch OHKO's most ludicolos.

does your breloom have spore?

does your breloom have spore?
    yeah, it's a requirement on all breelooms, lol

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast