Thread: about plots...

Default about plots...

I get that this is Pokemon and is mostly about fighting Pokemon and getting to the Poke-league and that kind of stuff. Mixed in with the few creepypasta plots and plots that center around evil teams and them taking over the world.

I have been wanting to post a fanfic that revolved around food or cooking for sometime but never had the guts to because I doesn't seem like it goes. Pokemon is an adventurous series (like Sonic the Hedgehog, except I did write a Sonic fanfic based around a birthday party. Pretty laid back) and I do feel that I have to add some adventure to it. I wrote a short story that I never posted because it didn't fit. I don't think it fits on FFN (it's about Mars teaching a friend how she cooks something, yeeah). But if I wanted o write a story based on someone making a meal out of rare berries only found in the Unova region... would I need to add some adventure to it? I think I would but, I wanted to see what others would think.

Spoiler:- idea:
    岩根雅明=♡

Like I said over VM, a story can really be about anything. It doesn't need to have an exciting plot and be filled with action and adventure. Not everyone wants to read that all the time. What's really important is that whatever you do, you make it interesting. You don't have to make it into a crazy action movie to do so, either. Often, it just requires creativity and originality. Find ways to make your story engaging, so readers will be interested in it, even if it's about a boring, every-day activity. If you present something in a way that engages readers and catches their attention, then you can have a successful story. For example, you can do this by being funny, or presenting something in a way people never thought of before.

You can do this with just about any kind of story, as long as it's done well. And as long as it's not offensive. But you can literally write about watching paint dry or watching grass grow, and people will read it if you write it in an interesting way.

~Psychic

I'm making 151 Pokémon as cupcakes
    Check out Project Cupcakedex

~Psychic's Nerdy Desserts Thread~

I get what you're saying. I mean, cooking is something I like and want to do for someone and while it's fun writing a pliot, it's easy to make it interesting. Thanks
    岩根雅明=♡

I think you could reasonably pull this off in a one-shot, actually. If you gave it enough "oh no what's gonna happen?!" hooks to keep people reading, it sounds like it could be a cute little fic.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Ehh I'm not sure how a story about Mars finding the missing berries to make Saturn's requested dish is going to have that "oh noez" effect, though. :[

I mean it's about food.
    岩根雅明=♡

A "deadline" could help build tension, honestly. She could be trying to get the food made for a special occasion, like the anniversary of his promotion to commander, or of the day they met. Or his birthday. Something like that.
    Oh, look! I wrote a fanfic! Weak (One-Shot. Rated G). Can Iris convince Bianca that she can't just avoid her problems?

And another one: Mischief (One-Shot. Rated G). A little fun for October.

But in my universe, she always cooks for Saturn and herself. That's why I added the request. She usually makes whatever is on her mind but since he requested that she'd make a certian dish, that's why she's going crazy
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post
    But in my universe, she always cooks for Saturn and herself. That's why I added the request. She usually makes whatever is on her mind but since he requested that she'd make a certian dish, that's why she's going crazy
    If the goal is to build dramatic tension, the best way to do this is to simply change the universe. Since this is a one-shot, you really don't have to retcon too much to make this work. Just have Saturn mention that he'd been thinking about a certain dish, maybe one he had as a kid, and as a surprise, Jupiter makes it for him for, as someone else mentioned, his birthday, or an anniversary of an important date of some kind. This would add tension in the form of a deadline, but also make it a little more romantic, which I think you're going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Feralninja View Post
    If the goal is to build dramatic tension, the best way to do this is to simply change the universe. Since this is a one-shot, you really don't have to retcon too much to make this work. Just have Saturn mention that he'd been thinking about a certain dish, maybe one he had as a kid, and as a surprise, Jupiter makes it for him for, as someone else mentioned, his birthday, or an anniversary of an important date of some kind. This would add tension in the form of a deadline, but also make it a little more romantic, which I think you're going for.
    I'm not sure if you literally meant changing the universe, but as a general rule of thumb, literally altering the story universe just to make things more convenient or interesting isn't the best way to go. Changing the situation makes more sense; if you want to get the most out of a story, constructing a situation you can take advantage of best works quite well. But molding the universe around what you need can be seen as lazy, not to mention taking away half the point of writing within a specific universe anyway. If you're just going to change things willy-nilly to suit your whims, what's the point in writing about that specific universe in the first place?

That said, it doesn't sound like you literally meant changing the universe, so feel free to disregard this.

~Psychic

I'm making 151 Pokémon as cupcakes
    Check out Project Cupcakedex

~Psychic's Nerdy Desserts Thread~

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    I'm not sure if you literally meant changing the universe, but as a general rule of thumb, literally altering the story universe just to make things more convenient or interesting isn't the best way to go. Changing the situation makes more sense; if you want to get the most out of a story, constructing a situation you can take advantage of best works quite well. But molding the universe around what you need can be seen as lazy, not to mention taking away half the point of writing within a specific universe anyway. If you're just going to change things willy-nilly to suit your whims, what's the point in writing about that specific universe in the first place?

That said, it doesn't sound like you literally meant changing the universe, so feel free to disregard this.

~Psychic
    Yeah, what I more meant was instead of establishing in the story that Jupiter cooks for Saturn every day, make it so that Jupiter doesn't normally cook for Saturn to make it into a special occasion. I didn't mean literally changing the universe, more like changing the context of the event.