Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the writers setting up Kotetsu to be a possible main character?

Default Are the writers setting up Kotetsu to be a possible main character?

Kotetsu fits the same shonen trope of the, "idiot kid hero" that Ash plays in shonen anime. His personality is similar to Ash in many ways as in the enthusiastic kid hero with a somewhat airhead personality. His design is also not tied to any generation by not being a game character, meaning her could fit for any gen.

Kotetsu has been promoted by the writers in various ways:

- He got a full Gym battle to himself, Marlon, who was one of the only Gym leaders Ash himself never battled in the series.

- He replaced Dawn in the opening after she left.

- He beat Bianca in the league, who was the only girl rival of the series.

- Its almost confirmed that he beats Ash in the league

- Its quite possible that he may beat Virgil too, and win the entire league in the process

- He has some of the most popular and well promoted Pokemon, like Lucario, Hydregion, Samurott, etc.

Why would the writers be promoting a new rival like this so much? None of the other rivals ever got this kind of treatment by the writers. It almost seems as he's being set up to become a possible main character, or spearhead his own series as a new kid hero.

I don't think Kotetsu as the new 'main character' I just see him as a late arrival rival that is suddenly powerful without a vivid explanation. It just doesn't seem fair on Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Kotetsu fits the same shonen trope of the, "idiot kid hero" that Ash plays in shonen anime. His personality is similar to Ash in many ways as in the enthusiastic kid hero with a somewhat airhead personality. His design is also not tied to any generation by not being a game character, meaning her could fit for any gen.

Kotetsu has been promoted by the writers in various ways:

- He got a full Gym battle to himself, Marlon, who was one of the only Gym leaders Ash himself never battled in the series.

- He replaced Dawn in the opening after she left.

- He beat Bianca in the league, who was the only girl rival of the series.

- Its almost confirmed that he beats Ash in the league

- Its quite possible that he may beat Virgil too, and win the entire league in the process

- He has some of the most popular and well promoted Pokemon, like Lucario, Hydregion, Samurott, etc.

Why would the writers be promoting a new rival like this so much? None of the other rivals ever got this kind of treatment by the writers. It almost seems as he's being set up to become a possible main character, or spearhead his own series as a new kid hero.
    OR maybe unlike many of the League Characters that defeat Ash hardly get any development, Kotetsu does get some form of development, since its far more than any other League Rival has ever gotten.
    - Claimed:

-XY, already better than Best Wishes.xD

Pokemon Y Team:

Greninja
    Talonflame
    Pikachu
    Venusaur
    Flygon
    Aggron

3DS FC: 1993-7360-7585

Hopefully Kotestu disappears after the league. He's gotten enough special treatment which has rubbed me the wrong way.

I doubt he'll become the main character since his partner Riolu has evolved into Lucario. That means he's lost his 'pikachu' partner in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    Hopefully Kotestu disappears after the league. He's gotten enough special treatment which has rubbed me the wrong way.

I doubt he'll become the main character since his partner Riolu has evolved into Lucario. That means he's lost his 'pikachu' partner in the process.
    I get the strong feeling that Kotetsu is essentially replacing Trip as Ash's main rival this saga.

If so, its possible Ash will have a rematch against him later on in BW after losing to him in the league.

Cyber, they are not setting up Kotetsu as the next main character. It's obvious they're not throwing some non-game character into that role, and early on in DP Dawn seemed to be the main character with being the center of attention but she wasn't actually it.

I realize you want Ash to be replaced, but be real. Why do you keep making threads to complain about it and bash BW? You don't pull this crap on Bulba because you know the threads would get closed in a heartbeat and you would be infracted, treat other forums with the same respect you would another. Your threads usually lead to negative behavior anyway.

I get the strong feeling that Kotetsu is essentially replacing Trip as Ash's main rival this saga.

If so, its possible Ash will have a rematch against him later on in BW after losing to him in the league.
    Kotestu comes across like a Ritchie to me. But fine, let Ash beat him and then he can disappear for good.

Kotestu comes across like a Ritchie to me. But fine, let Ash beat him and then he can disappear for good.
    If he does get beaten by Kotetsu, then I hope this happens, and just maybe perhaps Kotetsu will grow a decent brain if he gets to have character development...

I wonder, what are the chances his Lucario turned into a cold bastard Pokemon?

Him having an Hydreigon while you wanted that Hydreigon to belong to a CotD rubbed you the wrong way.

-----------

Anyway Cyber not making sense as usual.

Kotetsu migh appear again after the league though since Lucario and Eevee seems to still be promoted, him and Virgil migth take part in some episodes in the filler arc.

I could buy this theory if Kotetsu didn't already have so many uber-powerful Pokemon at his disposal, and if his "Pikachu", Riolu, wasn't confirmed to be evolving.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    Him having an Hydreigon while you wanted that Hydreigon to belong to a CotD rubbed you the wrong way.
    No, him beating Ash and putting him in top 8 rubbed me the wrong way. Stop acting like you know me because you don't.

Yes.

Next saga Pikachu accidentally destroys Kotetsu's bike and he joins the main cast and does Contests >:|
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

I doubt he'll become a main character. He just seems to be giving Ash a hard time, even though they are similar. Adding to that, he does have some popular Pokemon and have good battling skills.

In all seriousness, Kotetsu feels like a Morrison-type. Remember the Beldum caveman kid?

No, him beating Ash and putting him in top 8 rubbed me the wrong way. Stop acting like you know me because you don't.
    suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure!

Bullseye!

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    Yes.

Next saga Pikachu accidentally destroys Kotetsu's bike and he joins the main cast and does Contests >:|
    He wants to be a Champion maybe he can be a contests Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    Yes.

Kotetsu with Contests... *imagines it*
    *the image of Hydreigon thrashing the appeal area with outrage comes to mind*
    OH DEAR LORD NO! Make the horrific images stop ;_;
    MMing: Espurr, 90 eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Good. You can never understand the mindset of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Raspberyl View Post
    Kotetsu with Contests... *imagines it*
    *the image of Hydreigon thrashing the appeal area with outrage comes to mind*
    OH DEAR LORD NO! Make the horrific images stop ;_;
    I can really see that happening...or already happened, anyway. A freak accident of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure!

Bullseye!
    Suuuure what? Last time I checked, my thoughts aren't mailed to you so you can get over yourself. It's low-class of you, honestly.

Actually, it may be a long shot, but if Kotestu wins the league, then I would say that's a satisfying ending to bringing him in the series. I mean, the gang spent time with him when he got his final badge, arrived at the league, etc.

It's not impossible either; sure there's still Virgil that's up for the trophy, but somebody has to win. It'd be nice to have a character win the league who is fairly known to us (at this point, either Kotestu or Virgil). We had Tyson and Tobias win, and it was upsetting to see Harrison lose in the Johto league. We may not have got to know a lot about those characters, but we do know about them in some way. Today, we still, and likely never, will know who the winner of the Kanto league was. Stupid shadows. xD

After the league, I could see Kotestu appearing, and possible Virgil. It wouldn't be a bad idea. Just depends on how the situation goes.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

ash get bad treatment !!!!!!!!

kotesu plot dvice he defect Ash !!!

kotesu bad for show !!!!

I think Kotetsu is a possible Ash replacement.

kotesu plot device !!!!!
    bad charctr !!!!

I lol'd. Truly.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Aker View Post
    I lol'd. Truly.
    I try my best. Almost brings back memories of 2007 when people thought Dawn was taking over the show from Ash. lol.

I try my best. Almost brings back memories of 2007 when people thought Dawn was taking over the show from Ash. lol.
    I wonder if you created a thread exactly like this one devoted to that very idea. No, Kotetsu is not replacing Ash. Ash is not going anywhere, get over it CyberCubed.

Pokemon X Friend Code: 5258-0130-4229 / Electric: Dedenne, Pikachu, Zebstrika

This is just my opinion, if you don't support the main character of the show, why bother watching.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast