Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are the writers setting up Kotetsu to be a possible main character?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    - He got a full Gym battle to himself, Marlon, who was one of the only Gym leaders Ash himself never battled in the series.
    They had to show Marlon in some episode just like they did with Roxie. What would be the point of Ash fighting him if he has all his badges already?

- He replaced Dawn in the opening after she left.
    Exactly, she left. There's no point on having someone in the opening if they arent there anymore, in my opinion.

- He beat Bianca in the league, who was the only girl rival of the series.
    Meh, Paul beat Barry. Theres always that one rival Ash doesnt fight.

- Its almost confirmed that he beats Ash in the league
    True, but still there's chances that Ash does win and Virgil beats him in the rest of the episode.

- Its quite possible that he may beat Virgil too, and win the entire league in the process
    Where did this come from? I can say that it's quite possible that Kotetsu beats Cynthia and becomes a Pokemon Champion, but without any kind of evidence (especially since we dont even know if Ash does lose against Kotetsu).

- He has some of the most popular and well promoted Pokemon, like Lucario, Hydregion, Samurott, etc.
    This I agree with.

I'm sorry Cyber, can't agree with your way of thinking in here. Unless a chronicle, Ash wouldn't lose his main character role to Kotetsu. Kotetsu would have to get a Pikachu because of all the merchandising and stuff haha... I hope

Calling it. Kotetsu is a huge Gary Stu if he manages to defeat Ash.

I could see Kotetsu not being a protagonist, but maybe a tag-along? Like, in Episode N?!
    - National Pokedex Completion Date- 3/12/13 (Thanks EpiK SauCe!)

FC: 5129-0492-5213

Quote Originally Posted by AmbipomMaster View Post
    I could see Kotetsu not being a protagonist, but maybe a tag-along? Like, in Episode N?!
    If I can pretend he doesn't exist while there's a Lucario every single episode, I'll be happy.

But sadly, the promotional poster for the second season has no traces of him anywhere. But I'm interested at that random Charizard. Could it be Ash's?

Ash is not being replaced by anyone. He and Pikachu are the faces of the anime and have been for however many years! It's even been stated that he won't ever be replaced and yet you STILL come up with crap like this about Kotetsu getting 'bigged up' because he's going to become a main character, travelling with Iris and Cilan in the next region?

No Cyber, this time you've gone too far, beyond your usual trollish self. I'm sorry but all Kotetsu is, is a late rival done interestingly. He's essentially a character like Morrison, except this time the rival is defeating Ash.

Even though Kotetsu isn't replacing Ash, I find him more entertaining than Ash...even if that's not saying much. :P

Hey Cybs, remember the times when you thought Dawn would be replacing him when we didn't see Ash at all the start of D/P series and was only seeing Dawn every where? Oh look what happened.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Calling it. Kotetsu is a huge Gary Stu if he manages to defeat Ash.
    Well it's true. He just sort of randomly appeared with no real backstory and with a team of powerful Pokemon. But I seem to have missed the point of this thread when I posted earlier. I thought some of the comments were thinly-veiled attempts to shade Trip for being a terrible rival, but there are actually people who are talking about Kotetsu possibly replacing Ash? How did anyone come to that conclusion?

I hope not. I don't really like Kotetsu as a main character. He seems a little TOO stupid. Atleast Ash has some brain cells. Idiot rivals always get a lot of screen time and Riolu/Lucario being so popular helps him get screen time as well.

What on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    I hope not. I don't really like Kotetsu as a main character. He seems a little TOO stupid. Atleast Ash has some brain cells. Idiot rivals always get a lot of screen time and Riolu/Lucario being so popular helps him get screen time as well.
    If Ash was replaced it probably would be a character similar to Kotetsu anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I think this is the reason Kotetsu's design wasn't based on a game character, so they can use him more regularly and not tie him down.

His personality is so similar to Ash in a number of ways, I can see him starring in his own series. Perhaps Iris and Cilan will travel with him instead of Ash next gen?
    That's a great idea and then Ash would go back home and start a new journey again with yet another group.

I'm sorry but I'm interested in what may happen to Ash as a result of him(might) losing yet another league. So I rather him than to watch Kotetsu and his madness.

My ideal battle ever!

... what?

He looks like a 4th Gen Ninjaboy. His mascot Pokemon is also a 4th Generation Pokemon.

Bianca got a full Gym Battle. Iris battled a Gym Leader that Ash did not.

That's because he fit the lyrics. Ash met Kotetsu right when Dawn was leaving.

Beating Bianca isn't exactly an accomplishment. Ash, Cilian, and Stephan (twice) beat her.

Speculation, but even if it came to pass the show didn't become the Tobias Power Hour when he was beaten in Sinnoh despite Tobias having a seemingly unbeatable team.

More Speculation.

Virgil's Eeveelutions are probably more popular then any one of Kotetsu's Pokemon, but it's looking more and more like he's a Red Herring.

Why would the writers be promoting a new rival like this so much?
    They started promoting Virgil's Eevee around the same time as Kotetsu's Riolu. If I were to venture a guess then it's because they want to sell some Riolu/Lucario merchandise?

None of the other rivals ever got this kind of treatment by the writers.
    None of the other Rivals were being used as a blatant marketing tool.

They might be setting Kotetsu up to be a recurring character after all of this, but not a main character. That's ridiculous, especially when it's been confirmed that we're getting another series with Ash immediately after the League. By time we get to the Next Region Kotetsu's going to be old news.

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    ... what?

He looks like a 4th Gen Ninjaboy. His mascot Pokemon is also a 4th Generation Pokemon.

Bianca got a full Gym Battle. Iris battled a Gym Leader that Ash did not.

Beating Bianca isn't exactly an accomplishment. Ash, Cilian, and Stephan (twice) beat her.

Speculation, but even if it came to pass the show didn't become the Tobias Power Hour when he was beaten in Sinnoh despite Tobias having a seemingly unbeatable team.

More Speculation.

Virgil's Eeveelutions are probably more popular then any one of Kotetsu's Pokemon, but it's looking more and more like he's a Red Herring.

They started promoting Virgil's Eevee around the same time as Kotetsu's Riolu. If I were to venture a guess then it's because they want to sell some Riolu/Lucario merchandise?

None of the other Rivals were being used as a blatant marketing tool.

They might be setting Kotetsu up to be a recurring character after all of this, but not a main character. That's ridiculous, especially when it's been confirmed that we're getting another series with Ash immediately after the League. By time we get to the Next Region Kotetsu's going to be old news.
    I thought Eevee and Riolu being promoted is because of BW2's gimmick, you can catch them ingame in the wild

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

I thought Eevee and Riolu being promoted is because of BW2's gimmick, you can catch them ingame in the wild
    You could catch Riolu in limited numbers in Heart/Soul and Eevee in the wild since Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

Their lines are both extremely popular. I'm surprised it took as long as it did to get an Eeveelution Trainer in the anime.

You have to read into the lyrics.

He's Ash's light.

Why don't people get this? >:/

jk jk
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

You could catch Riolu in limited numbers in Heart/Soul and Eevee in the wild since Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

Their lines are both extremely popular. I'm surprised it took as long as it did to get an Eeveelution Trainer in the anime.
    I mean when they advertised BW2 it was all shots of older Pokémon you could catch and it was like "WOW! Eevee?! Riolu?!", because of how they made them stick out

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

And ... they wouldn't have done that if a lot of people didn't like those Pokemon?

You have to read into the lyrics.

He's Ash's light.
    This ani't that kind of anime no matter how many bromance episodes we get.

And ... they wouldn't have done that if a lot of people didn't like those Pokemon?

This ani't that kind of anime no matter how many bromance episodes we get.
    You'd think how much time he spends in the sauna with Stephan it would be those 2

On topic

No..just no one idiot on the cast is enough, 2 would render the show unwatchable. Imagine if bronk replaced kite on on zexal Oh the horror! the horror! only this would be 10x worse.

Kotestu isn't going to replace Ash. Yeah he is getting hyped up but replacing Ash is impossible. I mean Ash and Pikachu been the faces for Pokemon for 15 years now,to replace them now will be a bad move. Kotestu will fade away like any league rival like Tyson or Tobias or Ritchie.

Banner made by Skiyomi

Character replacements without much ground.

//CLOSED
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123