Thread: Starter inequality in RSE?

Default Starter inequality in RSE?

Um hey first thread so hopefully everything is right

but anyway... have you noticed with RSE that with the torchic line that it has a weakness to most of the gyms in the hoenn region

i mean:
    1st gym is Rock both grass and water have advantage but fire doesnt
    2nd (fighting) all equal
    3rd (electric) marshtomp has immunity
    4th (fire) marshtomp again with advantage
    5th (normal) only gym where torchic line has advantage
    6th (flying) all at a disavantage
    7th (psychic) blaziken is now screwed
    8th (water) Blasziken is now even more screwed
    and the champion wallace is also a water type

5 gyms where torchic line is at a type disadvantage and only 1 advantage
    treecko line has only 2 disadvantages and 3 advantages
    mudkip line has only one direct disadvantage and(if you evolve to marshtomp before 3rd gym) has 3 advantages

to me just feels like poor little torchic ain't getting too much love in game :L
    My current black/white team lowest level 75 but havent really bothered that much with natures, eggs, evs etc

That's nothing new, they typically design the gym (especially the early gyms), so that your choice of starter is an inherent difficulty setting. They've done the same thing since the beginning of the series. For instance, in RBY Bulbasaur will give you the best advantage for the first two gyms since it's super effective against Rock and Water, Squirtle will give you an advantage against Brock but not Misty, and Charmander is weak to both.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

What about team aqua/magma?
    They have poochyena and carvahna galore! both of which are dark type.
    Blazekien is almost built to take down both teams.

If you have a Combusken by the first gym you have an advantage as well.

Dammit, I've been practically dead. Too busy fighting demons and shadows.......* points evoker at head*....... back to work...* fires*

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

You can always use wild pokemon to help your Torchic.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Credits to FairyWitch and Enchanted Hollow Graphics for the userbar & broomstig for Master League bar
    Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobthepokemonfreak View Post
    What about team aqua/magma?
    They have poochyena and carvahna galore! both of which are dark type.
    Blazekien is almost built to take down both teams.

If you have a Combusken by the first gym you have an advantage as well.
    ^This

I ALWAYS evolve Torchic before the first Gym, and I make sure Combusken knows Peck for Brawly

I will find you in real life and fall in love with you all over again.

Plus on the electric gym Combusken has a type as magnemite are part steel and double kick and the fire attacks make it pretty easy to battle Wattson.

I feel the pain 'cause I love the little Torchic as well.
    Internet now on 3DS Please PM me for outstanding trades with ****TRADE OUTSTANDING**** IN SUBJECT LINE so I dont miss it Thank you!!

Currently:

Playing
    X

Writing
    Unnova fiction

- re-editing proglogue
    - planning main story line

Friend code 3ds 0404-6504-6432

I honestly haven't ever had a problem soloing the game with just Blaziken, although that could've partially been due to how overlevelled it was (Lv. 78 by the time I was battling Wallace). Useful hint - teach it Bulk Up. When you're battling weak stuff like Juan's Luvdisc, or Winona's Swablu, it's very easy to set up multiple Bulk Ups.

You can cover Torchic's disadvantage with a new ally, that's why trainers are allowed to walk with six Pokémons at a time.

And Nintendo didn't intend to harm Torchic while designing the gyms, this is pretty much a coincidence.

Also, Team Magma and Aqua has lots of Poochyena, then Torchic line will be in advantage against them.

The same could be said for Chikorita in the Johto region, but I don't see many people complaining about that. Me? I like Chikorita. It's cute and provides a challenge
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    That's nothing new, they typically design the gym (especially the early gyms), so that your choice of starter is an inherent difficulty setting. They've done the same thing since the beginning of the series. For instance, in RBY Bulbasaur will give you the best advantage for the first two gyms since it's super effective against Rock and Water, Squirtle will give you an advantage against Brock but not Misty, and Charmander is weak to both.
    This pretty much sums it up. The OP is right - Torchic is at a bit of a disadvantage - but that seems to be deliberate. I actually found gen 5 to be sort of weird and disconcerting, since it's set up so that no type has a starting advantage or disadvantage, by making the first gym leader whichever type your starter is weak to. After all this time, I just sort of automatically expect that the Grass starter has the easiest time with the early gyms, while the Fire starter has the hardest, and the Water is somewhere between the two, just because that's the way it had always been.

It's never really mattered all that much to me anyway, since I've always treated a starter as just that - a STARTER. It's not necessarily the pokemon I'm going to depend on the most - it's just the one I started out with. Pretty much the first thing I do is start looking for other pokemon to fill in the gaps, and more than once I've dropped the starter from my team entirely by the time I get to the E4.

As the fire starter is usually the most favorite, they probably do that to force players to pick up the grass and water starter.

Since the 2nd Gen, the fire starter has never TRULY been at a disadvantage. That's the whole reason they're been part fighting for the past three gens. Although Emboar really didn't need it.
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

Torchic was my first Starter Pokemon in Generation 3 and I also struggled a bit against some of the Gym Leaders, but that's mainly due to Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken being my main Pokemon while my other Pokemon were quite under-leveled. I had an easy time against Roxanne, but Brawly was a challenge for me. Wattson, Flannery and Norman were pretty easy to beat, but Winona and Liza & Tate were a nightmare. I don't even remember how I beat them; I just remember using a lot of healing items. Wallace wasn't much of a challenge for me, but that's because I used my newly-caught Kyogre's Drizzle/Thunder combo against his Pokemon. Strangely enough, I had an easier time against the Elite Four with Torchic's evolutionary line than I did against most Gym Leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    Strangely enough, I had an easier time against the Elite Four with Torchic's evolutionary line than I did against most Gym Leaders.
    That's not strange at all since Blaziken has a type advantage against Sidney, Glacia, and Steven.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Type advantage/disadvantage is nothing new, it has always been an easy way for GF to set a certain level of difficulty in the game without directly having you select would you like to play on Easy, Normal or Hard.
    Although I do wish that Fire/Fighting combination had started and ended with this Gen.
    It's because of that constant combination that I have been willing to forgo my dislike of the way the Pokemon looks in order to avoid choosing another Fire/Fighting type in the subsequent Gens.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

If one only looks at the gyms one encounters then you would, indeed, be inclined to think that the Torchic evolutionairy line is, in some way, subordinate to the Treecko and Mudkip lines.
    However, I find that picking Torchic is the best choice. That is for the simple reason that Blaziken is one of the few good Fire types you can find in R/S/E. There aren't a lot of Fire types, and then still, a lot of them lack a movepool outside of Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat or lack the stats to back up their movepool. One can easily acquire great Water types (e.g. Starmie) or decent Grass types (Ludicolo, possibly Shiftry, Vileplume). But there aren't a whole lot of fire types.

Blaziken may have had a disadvantage, but that helped make the game fun (I have beaten RSE ssssssssoooooooo many times) I normally choose Torchic as my stater because it is my personal favorite of the 3. But anyway he is one of the best fire type you can get in the game (as stated by the above poster). You can get things to help cover his weaknesses against Psychic and Flying weaknesses. Or Blaziken has a couple move he can learn through breeding and other means to cover those (one of his egg moves is Rock Slide). But all 3 starters are awesome in my opinion. if there are any typos I'm up really late because of new years and I'm kinda tired. :3
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

There is no such thing as inequality. Blaziken and Swampert may beat Sceptile in several things, but Sceptile can have even better functions. Remember that it's the only one that can land a supereffective hit on Water and Ground types.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

Your starter shouldn't be the only pokémon on your team :-) In my current play through platinum my torterra is evenly the least used pokémon on my team, however I tend to train them all well anyway. (All 6 pokémon are at level 55 with one being 57 evenly after the 8th gym)

this is what i was thinking.
    the starters roughly gauge the difficulty of your journey, and if you want an easier playthrough, then pick the one that sets it to "easy", plain and simple.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

This. The starters somewhat set your difficulty at times. While in the end, the starters are all effective in the story, especially in their final forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

I didn't find it ahrd mostly coz I always start with water types. There's a reason to catching OTHER Pokemon in the wild to fight, ye know, nya~

When I play RSE, I start with Torchic (But I'm not good at training, so I only train my starter) But, if you evolve torchic into combusken before gym 1, and teach it double kick, it will be a breeze And the torchic line is just pure AWESOME!
    I do not like/support/use: Pokesav, AR, any other cheats/cheating device (However, I have no problem with cloning)

My Black 2 friend code is 0159-6509-6584
    My trainer name is Storm (as with all my other save files on games)

I'm also not very picky about trades, so just PM me an offer
    I do not rip people off, and I hate it when someone tries to rip me off, so don't do it
    My Black 2 Team:
    I also am in the Central Time Zone

Put this on your signature if you are Christian and proud of it

I think you'll find that the Torchic Line has access to Peck by the second badge, which is an advantage. And Swampert is not disadvantaged by flying type - by this time it could have learned TM Ice Beam. I think by this logic you will see that the Swampert Line has 5 advantages: rock, electric, fire, flying (technically) and Psychic (what types are Lunatone and Solrock (and Claydol and Xatu? (Xatu when Swampy has TM Ice Beam...))). Torchic, in RS, has the advantages in Fighting, Electricity (what type is Magnemite and Magneton?), Normal. Also, in the Elite 4, Blaziken obliterates Dark, Steel and Ice, even if some of the ice types are part water, sky-uppercut can OHK most of them. All in all, I think the Treeko line is the most discriminated against, with inability to cope with Magneton/Magnemite, The fire, flying, Psychic (Xatu and flamethrower Solrock) gyms and the Ice, Dragon, Ghost and Steel Elite four members.
    Every story has an ending. Nothing lasts forever. Not any more.
    Read My Epic Fanfic -

Spoiler:- Thanks to DeadlyBraviary!: