Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Triple Battle Club!

So I was talking to Archstaraptor about how I've hit an absolute wall on WiFi Triple Battles and have gone from winning about 90% of the time to about 50/50. And damn near anything somewhat competitive has been beating me. So I keep throwing new teams together to see what sticks. Here's what I'm rockin' right now:

1. Torandus @ Flying Gem
    Jolly, 252 ATK, 252 SPE, 4 HP
    -Acrobatics
    -Taunt
    -Rain Dance
    -Tailwind

2. Thundurus @ Electric Gem
    Timid, 252 SPA, 252 SPE, 4 HP
    -Thunder
    -Dark Pulse
    -Thunder Wave
    -Taunt

3. Latias @ Light Clay
    Timid, 252 SPA, 252 SPE, 4 HP
    -Psychic
    -Heal Pulse
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen

4. Whimsicott @ Leftovers
    Bold, 252 SPE, 252 DEF, 4 HP
    -Sunny Day
    -Taunt
    -Tailwind
    -Energy Ball

5. Ambipom @ Normal Gem
    Technician
    Jolly, 252 SPE, 252 ATK, 4 HP
    -Fake Out
    -U-Turn
    -Protect
    -Acrobatics

6. Mienshao @ Focus Sash
    Regenerator
    Jolly, 252 ATK, 252 SPE, 4 HP
    -Wide Guard
    -Fake Out
    -Hi Jump Kick
    -U-Turn

The point of the team is to control EVERYTHING. I can Fake Out repeatedly. I can Taunt a lot. I can Dual Screen. I can change the weather. And it has pretty decent power with some bigger, decent STAB attacks (Psychic, Hi Jump Kick, Acrobatics, Thunder). Here are my concerns:

1) Whimsicott. It feels a bit redunant with Tornadus already there. And it doesn't have much ability to do damage (I went away from Leech Seed and Toxic in favor of another Taunter with better defenses and Sunny Day to control Drizzle teams)

2) Low defenses overall. Even with Dual Screens, I don't have anything that can REALLY take a hit except for Whimsicott and Latias, and they have a ton of weaknesses each, so they're easy to super effectively hit.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Whao! There's a Triple battle fan club! I have to join!

I' m pretty good at triples and I can help you guys with your RMTs

Anyway Sid87 your team's pretty flawed IMO

The first thing I'd do is remove that ice type weakness. You only have one pokemon to beat ice types. Swift Swim kingdra with ice beam could (theoretically) Anhillate your team.

Whimsicott
    Whimsicott doesn't have light screen! Prankster Light screen is one the most important things in triple battles IMO. There are many pokemon that outspeed Latias but Prankster light screen always works first. This is important to counter swift swimmers like Kingdra and Ludicolo. You could replace Sunny Day as your using a rain team. Light screen has nearly the same effect as sunny day on most drizzle threats.

And maybe you could replace taunt with Encore as some Trick Room teams send two trick roomers in to battle in the start and so it would be easier to use Encore after Trick room is set up to force the pokemon to remove Trick room.

Tornadus
    Why doesn't Tornadus have Hurricane? You know your not using Tornadus's massive 125 spAtk stat.

Latias
    You could leave Latias as it is, but you could give Latias Dragon pulse for Light screen if you decide to have Whimsicott use light screen. then, you could give latias the Leftovers and whimsicott a mental herb (to stop Taunt from forcing it to use only energy ball)

You could consider using Wash Rotom instead of Thundurus. It resists ice, has high defenses and is a good counter to drizzle teams.

Here's a good set-

W-Rotom @electric gem
    252 hp/ 252 spAtk

-Hydro pump
    -Volt switch
    -Thunder
    -Will-o-wisp
    Hydro pump and Thunder hit hard, Volt switch is obvious and will-o-wisp shuts down physical attackers by halving their attack.
    Last edited by T-Bolt; 9th February 2013 at 7:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
    Whao! There's a Triple battle fan club! I have to join!

I' m pretty good at triples and I can help you guys with your RMTs

Anyway Sid87 your team's pretty flawed IMO

The first thing I'd do is remove that ice type weakness. You only have one pokemon to beat ice types. Swift Swim kingdra with ice beam could (theoretically) Anhillate your team.

Whimsicott
    Whimsicott doesn't have light screen! Prankster Light screen is one the most important things in triple battles IMO. There are many pokemon that outspeed Latias but Prankster light screen always works first. This is important to counter swift swimmers like Kingdra and Ludicolo. You could replace Sunny Day as your using a rain team. Light screen has nearly the same effect as sunny day on most drizzle threats.

And maybe you could replace taunt with Encore as some Trick Room teams send two trick roomers in to battle in the start and so it would be easier to use Encore after Trick room is set up to force the pokemon to remove Trick room.

Tornadus
    Why doesn't Tornadus have Hurricane? You know your not using Tornadus's massive 125 spAtk stat.

Latias
    You could leave Latias as it is, but you could give Latias Dragon pulse for Light screen if you decide to have Whimsicott use light screen. then, you could give latias the Leftovers and whimsicott a mental herb (to stop Taunt from forcing it to use only energy ball)

You could consider using Wash Rotom instead of Thundurus. It resists ice, has high defenses and is a good counter to drizzle teams.

Here's a good set-

W-Rotom @electric gem
    252 hp/ 252 spAtk

-Hydro pump
    -Volt switch
    -Thunder
    -Will-o-wisp
    Hydro pump and Thunder hit hard, Volt switch is obvious and will-o-wisp shuts down physical attackers by halving their attack.
    We're happy to have you! Onto your points...

I have made two changes since I last posted this; I replaced Whimsicott's Taunt with Toxic (and already paid for that a couple of times online, but Toxic has helped, too, so it's a wash). And I replaced Mienshao entirely with Typhlosion (252 SPE/252 SPA). So I lost my Wide Guarder, but really...I rarely used Mienshao for that, anyway. Usually it was Fake-Out/U-Turn and repeat. I figure just Ambipom serves my Fake Out needs, though.

As for your points:

The reason Tornadus doesn't have Hurricane is because he is Jolly. So I went with Acrobatics instead since his nature hinders SPA.

Whiomsicott DID have Light Screen once upon a time, but I removed it for Sunny Day since I figured I'd rather counter Rain teams. And I like having all my screens on my Light Clay holder. Whimsicott, though...I wish that thing had, like, 8 moves slots. I still wish it had Leech Seed, Taunt, and Light Screen.

As for Encore... is that an Egg Move? How could I teach it Encore now? I was thinking about raising Illumise and/or Volbeat to be my Encore users if I wanted them.

^Heh. That was stupid. I mixed up thundurus and tornadus's natures.

I agree, Whimsicott is the best prankster user in triples! You get Encore from Cottonee, I just thought this team was used on PO.

Anyway, I still think Thundurus is unnecessary, having two flying types and all. And I'm not sure about not having a wide guarder. I always use one on every single one of my teams. I still think typhlosion would be a good addition to your team. It has a great offensive presence with Eruption. But your team still is pretty weak, defense wise.

I just wanted to ask if you guys play on B/W or B2/W2
    Last edited by T-Bolt; 11th February 2013 at 10:57 AM.

^Heh. That was stupid. I mixed up thundurus and tornadus's natures.

I agree, Whimsicott is the best prankster user in triples! You get Encore from Cottonee, I just thought this team was used on PO.

Anyway, I still think Thundurus is unnecessary, having two flying types and all. And I'm not sure about not having a wide guarder. I always use one on every single one of my teams. I still think typhlosion would be a good addition to your team. It has a great offensive presence with Eruption. But your team still is pretty weak, defense wise.

I just wanted to ask if you guys play on B/W or B2/W2
    I prefer Tornadus, but I know some people are anti-legend. Tornadus generally outspeeds the heck out of Whimsicott, so it can Taunt Whimsy.

Yeah, my team is still pretty fragile all around. I've run bigger tank teams, though, and I've lately just been in an offensive mood.

If I replace Thundurus, I'm definitely teaching Whimsy Taunt again. Should I get rid of Toxic again? Heh. I just keep pinballing Toxic/Taunt. I get the fact that my team hates Ice, but Thundurus has been useful in the past.

I actually very seldomly use Wide Guarders. They only one I've used with any success on a somewhat consistent level is Regigigas, but he's a bit frustrating because you basically HAVE to find a spot for him in every opening three.

Oh, and I play B/W. I still have never even beaten B2.

I don't know about toxic, I've never used and so I wouldn't know about it's effectiveness.

I've always thought Toxic would only be worth using in singles, triple battles usually lasting only a few turns. By the time Toxic started dealing large damage, the battle would probably be over

I would suggest replacing thundurus and teaching Whimsicott Taunt. Your running 252 speed anyway, so you would outrun most Whimsy variants with yours.

Hello i would LOVE to join this club please!
    I really just dont like other battling styles and perfer this one

banner made by Lucina Archealis (I don't think I spelt that right OTL)
    ^U^ I LOVE Crona from soul eater!
    owner of the silver fan club
    VM me and such if you wanna play some SSBB! im always up for a challange!

Unhappy

Huh, It seems to me like the club is dying out.

Anyway, I was playing on random matchup some days ago and was beaten by a guy using a role play Abomasnow.

He role played No Guard from a Machamp and started pulverizing me with 100% accurate sheer colds.

What was Gamefreak thinking! Putting role play and an OHKO move on the same pokemon! Although you could probably counter the combo if you knew what he was going to do.

Huh, It seems to me like the club is dying out.

Anyway, I was playing on random matchup some days ago and was beaten by a guy using a role play Abomasnow.

He role played No Guard from a Machamp and started pulverizing me with 100% accurate sheer colds.

What was Gamefreak thinking! Putting role play and an OHKO move on the same pokemon! Although you could probably counter the combo if you knew what he was going to do.
    That is... interesting. Neither MaChamp nor Abomasnow is particularly durable, but if you could just survive 2-3 turns, you're going to do at least some damage. I wonder if it's really that much better than Blizzard + Choice Specs, though.

Role-play Abomasnow?That sounds sweet: imagine a flash fire poke-chandelure could be more easily countered(then again, most flash fire pokemon have no tell-abilities,so it wouldn't be a solid counter to any one of them).
    Intimidate would be good to role play.
    Or storm drain.
    Or plus/minus(God,imagine the blizzards after that).
    All of a sudden Abomasnow appears much more useable

I've just looked at the team Sid(sorry it took three months :/ ) and notice that you lack a spread move: when protection and multiple attacks per party member are so common,loads of single-target attacks are inefficient(considering a spread move could take out more than the intended target).
    Earthquake's a big one,because steel types are otherwise going to cause problems to your team.
    Fire/water/grass is a nice balanced set to start with-more often than not,the legendaries rarely synergise well with each other due to the weaknesses they share(note the big ice weakness-reliable fire attack is recommended).
    It does cover most of triple battle's common issues,but as you've already stated,it might not be able to retaliate as effectively even without these problems out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Archstaraptor View Post
    Role-play Abomasnow?That sounds sweet: imagine a flash fire poke-chandelure could be more easily countered(then again, most flash fire pokemon have no tell-abilities,so it wouldn't be a solid counter to any one of them).
    Intimidate would be good to role play.
    Or storm drain.
    Or plus/minus(God,imagine the blizzards after that).
    All of a sudden Abomasnow appears much more useable

I've just looked at the team Sid(sorry it took three months :/ ) and notice that you lack a spread move: when protection and multiple attacks per party member are so common,loads of single-target attacks are inefficient(considering a spread move could take out more than the intended target).
    Earthquake's a big one,because steel types are otherwise going to cause problems to your team.
    Fire/water/grass is a nice balanced set to start with-more often than not,the legendaries rarely synergise well with each other due to the weaknesses they share(note the big ice weakness-reliable fire attack is recommended).
    It does cover most of triple battle's common issues,but as you've already stated,it might not be able to retaliate as effectively even without these problems out of the way.
    You know... I very rarely pack many multi-hit moves. It's weird, but I just don't. I mean... it depends on the team I run, obviously, but my utility belt teams don't run very many of them now. The team I'm running now has... one. I think just one.

One is good if well supported,but it's always safer to have two or three,covering both special and physical side(Blizzard and Rock Slide,for the sake of example).

Oh, I didn't notice this club was still running. My interest for Triple Battles has sort of waned by now, mainly because it's hard to find a battle on my White version (I don't have access to B2W2)

About Role play+Abomasnow, it was on a Trick room team, so Abomasnow outsped most of my pokemon. It's sort of a cheap strategy when I think about it now.

Credit to Ayra for the profile pic.
    ASB squad- http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...0#post16972170
    I have claimed Kabutops, destroyer of all! Fear me or perish!

Oh, I didn't notice this club was still running. My interest for Triple Battles has sort of waned by now, mainly because it's hard to find a battle on my White version (I don't have access to B2W2)

About Role play+Abomasnow, it was on a Trick room team, so Abomasnow outsped most of my pokemon. It's sort of a cheap strategy when I think about it now.
    Cheap?Nah-it's ingenious.Abomasnow only really needs Snow warning on the switch-in anyway:it could work really well in theory.

I understand that it can be fairly unreliable-it's dependent on the opponent's ability-but role-playing intimidate,water absorb,or levitate on top of 100% accuarte blizzards could make Abomasnow something to watch out for with support.

You can still find battles against B2/W2 players as well-the entirity of the 5th generation is cross-compatible.They're not that rare-I found 6 people this morning in an hour and a half(but perhaps I was lucky?).
    Last edited by Archstaraptor; 20th June 2013 at 6:01 PM.

You can't find battles on White? Like on the Wi-Fi? Huh. I have Black, and I find battles all the time.

And yeah... White/Black and B2/W2 will find each other on Wi-Fi. I didn't realize that at first until I kept running into Landorus that had Intimidate, and I was like... "That's not his ability! WTF?"

^Therian Landorus is a PAIN:good speed, attack and ability.No,scratch that,all the genie therian forms are a nightmare to deal with.
    Well,in singles at least.Launch off one blizzard and thankfully it's all over!

RARGH. I was in the middle of a HUGE message here, and then I brushed cat fur off my mousepad and it sent me back a page! Lost everything I typed! I hate that SOMETIMES Firefox yells at me that I'm about to leave a page I have text on and sometimes it doesn't. It never asks me if I'm sure I want to leave when I just make a mistake, but when I do something stupid on accident like that? Never. Rar!

Anyway... new, short message: any word on a possible friendly Triple Battle competition, anyone? I know Arch was going to try to get something like that going.

Boy,do I know the feeling _ _

I've got four people at this moment.

To anybody reading this:if you are interested in participating in a triples tournament,let me know

Well I'm fine with taking some time to get a group together; I've hit another rut where I can't seem to put anything useful together. Heh.

You can't find battles on White? Like on the Wi-Fi? Huh. I have Black, and I find battles all the time.

And yeah... White/Black and B2/W2 will find each other on Wi-Fi. I didn't realize that at first until I kept running into Landorus that had Intimidate, and I was like... "That's not his ability! WTF?"
    You do? I guess it's just my timezone then. I'll try playing at night and see if anyone's available for a match.

I'm just going with my old team, and it was really successful when I tried it out pre- B2W2. Haven't played triples since then, so I'm not sure how it will do against threats like Landorus-T and Keldeo. Still worth a shot though.

Credit to Ayra for the profile pic.
    ASB squad- http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...0#post16972170
    I have claimed Kabutops, destroyer of all! Fear me or perish!

Keldeo is not usable on Wi-Fi. It's always kind of weird to me that most of the Event legends aren't available on WiFi battling despite not really being as powerful as some of the stuff that IS allowed on WiFi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123