Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Years Pokemon Special

I honestly expected some different clips, the ones that seem to be chosen...other than maybe the Snorlax apple thing weren't all that funny.

So... no info on Charizard right? :/

None of those clips made me laugh despite Pokemon having plenty of funny moments. I guess the Japanese just have a different kind of humor than we do?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    Nope, not even anything on the next movie just a 5 min preview of N's debut episode.
    Friend Code for Pokemon Y: 1521-2881-0277 PM me if you want to battle or trade

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    Why you guys are so pumped for Charizard anyway? I never understood why he's so loved. I liked him more when he got the right idea (not giving a damn to Ash's orders, good old times)
    "My underrated tastes are no fun at all. However that's how I am. Peace."

Quote Originally Posted by knux-the-killer View Post
    Why you guys are so pumped for Charizard anyway? I never understood why he's so loved. I liked him more when he got the right idea (not giving a damn to Ash's orders, good old times)
    1. Nostalgia
    2. Because he's a beast
    3. He hasn't appeared in 6 or something like that years
    4. He's basically Ash's strongest Pokemon, and he's from the first generation

The fandom loves him.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    ... I want context for that.
    I think Ash is trolling Tobias' Darkrai with his Snorlax in revenge

How could they have the funniest moments and not include Brock and Ivy?

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    No, Johto had a god awful amount of filler episodes, DP had less then AG..

"These DONUTS are really good! I really like these DONUTS!" - Brock..

Honestly, I don't think anybody should've been bothered by the replacement voices if they were able to put nostalgia aside. I think you, and the majority that took 'offence' were really just bugged by the replacement by itself, because most/you(?) have a feeling of nostalgia attached to those voices. I personally thought that Veronica Taylor as Ash was horrifying... Yes, I just said that. I'm Dutch - you can hate on that as well for me trying to come off as superior in your eyes - , we have our own dub in the Netherlands - not saying ours is better in anyway, so don't hate on that - , so I can compare, the US to Japanese for instance, far more easily without being hindered by nostalgia, as neither was my original experience.

In my experience, it goes:
    - Dutch
    - Japanese
    - US

I'm well aware that Dutch is on top because of nostalgia factor, and that it wouldn't be in the top 3 for any American. Yet, when I cross off the Dutch dub, I'm still left with two unbiased experiences, in which the Japanese is above the US. Now, I'm not trying to put off the original version over the US dub, but I'm just trying to make a point that a lot of people are still biased to the old voices, solely based on nostalgia. 4Kids did a mediocre job at best, made quite a few horrible edits, and a lot of lines were horrible to listen to, hence my above quote.
    Well, that's your opinion, bro. I respect it. Since I'm American and I've seen worse dubs over here, I never really minded the edits (they were so infinitesimal that I just winced and went "meh" each time) for the most part, but hey, to each their own. I'd say 4Kids did indeed do a good job here, but I guess it's just me.

No, nostalgia is not the main reason (it's there a bit, granted you're right to some degree, but not the main reason) why I prefer the older English dub voices. I just feel they fit the characters more, and are just all around better performances. Plus, TPCi's dub voices are definitely mostly different takes on the characters, and it does take time to adjust to them- Natochenny's BW take is one of the easier adjustments for me, to be honest.

I will say that there is a good point you made on how by that late into the series, you do indeed have an attachment to those voices. I still associate the 4Kids dub ones with the characters, so I'll give you there is a bit of nostalgia for them on my part, but definitely not the main reason for my preference on the matter and I don't let that cloud my judgment.

There is more to the 4Kids dub I prefer besides the voices, though: I miss whoever composed the intros, the dub replacement music (I don't like TPCi's replacement scores as much), and the script writers for TRio.

The 4Kids VAs in question we're referring to are definitely more experienced VAs from what I've seen, looking up their information and what roles both sets of casts have played. That's just one aspect I can argue for why I prefer them. They also put a lot more emotion into those roles overall and were never too shoddy at points (I'll give you Eric Stuart's James in AG was not so hot, but that's who he thought James was, and it was definitely hilarious to me). Again, it's all subjective. I have a very nice friend here called The Power of Pika who likes the TPCi dub style and their voices more, but we both agree it's just different tastes and all opinionated.

Sad part is, I prefer Veronica Taylor to Rica Matsumoto's work-- I just like her higher pitch more for Ash/Satoshi. I don't really know what to tell you on that one. It's fine if you don't like her work. I like Taylor's take the most, then Matsumoto, then Natochenny (who I like as well)...the only one I now dislike is Kayzie Rogers- sounds like Ash was conked in the head and went a wee too stupid for his own good. xD.

BTW, that's not the right quote.

Brock: "These donuts are great...jelly-filled are my favorite...nothing beats a jelly-filled donut."

I'll admit: not so great on their part, but really I could tell that was an onigiri around age 4... so I just shrugged and laughed it off.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm not so sure the dub will skip the episode. Probably, since it seems like a clip show, but this is to make us laugh so it could be different this time. xD.

I like that Charizard will be returning. We haven't seen him since the battle with Brandon in the Battle Frontier.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 3rd January 2013 at 10:12 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    How could they have the funniest moments and not include Brock and Ivy?
    I was surprised to see nothing from Hoenn at all tbqh.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Aker View Post
    I was surprised to see nothing from Hoenn at all tbqh.
    Yeah. Especially since fat TRio from DP did not deserve to be there AT ALL.

Not so surprising. It's arguably one of the least popular seasons (other than Johto).

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Staff View Post
    Not so surprising. It's arguably one of the least popular seasons (other than Johto).
    I'm trying to think of a hilarious moment from Hoenn they could have used. Maybe when Harley dressed up as May? Plus, I think Hoenn is kind of underrated. I think people did love it when it aired. The problem is when people talk about Pokémon now, Hoenn is the saga that doesn't have absolute nostalgia going for it like the OS did and it didn't happen that recently like DP and BW so it's not fresh in people's minds. This is why I think it's not brought up as much as other series.
    Last edited by Pokemaniac24; 3rd January 2013 at 11:16 PM.

I'm trying to think of a hilarious moment from Hoenn they could have used. Maybe when Harley dressed up as May?
    I thought the scene where James dressed up as a gentleman in the Ralts episode was pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by Whirl134 View Post
    None of those clips made me laugh despite Pokemon having plenty of funny moments. I guess the Japanese just have a different kind of humor than we do?
    Yeah, they actually sorta, do. XD

Watching Japanese comedies sometimes, there are basically japanese only jokes that are only funny to them, but puzzling to non-Japanese.
    -----------
    Aww, I heard that they did'nt show any Hoenn moments. Dang that's sorta my favorate post OS series that's getting shafted if it's true.
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/107jbrk.jpg[/IMG]

Credit goes to Sweet May for the glitter words, I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marie View Post
    Yeah, they actually sorta, do. XD

Watching Japanese comedies sometimes, there are basically japanese only jokes that are only funny to them, but puzzling to non-Japanese.
    Snorlax chasing Ash when he was dressed as an apple was a good choice though. I bet Americans find that funny as well XD

What are you talking about?

Yeah. Especially since fat TRio from DP did not deserve to be there AT ALL.
    ...I think this proves a semi point. :P
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu View Post
    ...I think this proves a semi point. :P
    The fact that had DP TRio in there at all is a disgrace XD

The fact that had DP TRio in there at all is a disgrace XD
    ...I was thinking that some people did happen to find them funny. ._.

but think what you will. xD
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu View Post
    ...I was thinking that some people did happen to find them funny. ._.

but think what you will. xD
    Oh, I'm sure they are people that find it funny. I find it annoying and think that were funnier moments to choose from. My opinion of course. Dawn was the funniest character of DP. And Conway. My opinion of course.

Oh, I'm sure they are people that find it funny. I find it annoying and think that were funnier moments to choose from. My opinion of course. Dawn was the funniest character of DP. And Conway. My opinion of course.
    Conway was a stalker (Who people just love to compare to me >3>...)

and yes I agree, he was funnier. However its an akward type of funny, which some people don't like ._...Trust me, I laughed my head off at something I thought was akward and creepy, but some else just couldn't bring themselves to laugh at it at all. ._. They kept correcting it as "akward" >3>..
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Wow, you just called my two favorite arcs in the entire anime so far least popular. Well, there goes my hopes for them being included in the special. xD.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

The New Years special only showed like 5 clips from random epsiodes. It wasn't meant to be a retrospective of the whole show.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    The New Years special only showed like 5 clips from random epsiodes. It wasn't meant to be a retrospective of the whole show.
    That does make sense when you put it that way. I'll check it out in a few days. XD.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast