Thread: Capstackers: A Rather Unusual RMT

Default Capstackers: A Rather Unusual RMT

Jesusfreak was kind enough to confirm that CAP RMTs are perfectly fine as it is a competitive tier. I made this team earlier today and in testing it played rather differently than I had originally intended, but functioned quite well. I've only played a few matches with it due to a shaky internet connection but what was originally intended to be a balanced team came out as a surprisingly effective Spikestacking team, hence the name Capstacking.

Some background info: CAP stands for Create-A-Pokemon. It's an ongoing research project on Smogon that is dedicated to understanding the metagame better through the creation of new Pokemon. It's a collaborative effort and so far 14 such Pokemon have been created, each one very dangerous in its own right. They've been described as (similar to anyway, I can't remember the quote nor can I find it again) not just powerful, but the top end of OU and they are all very unique in their own ways. The CAP homepage can be found here. A list of existing CAP Pokemon (minus Aurumoth, it hasn't been added to the Dex yet but it still exists and this team originally used it) can be found here. Their pics link to their Strategy pages too.

Here's my team:

Fidgit @ Leftovers
    Trait: Vital Spirit
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earth Power
    - Encore

Fidgit may well be the best lead available in the CAP tier. It's really fast and it has respectable physical bulk which makes it great at setting Spikes. It's pretty easy to get the full 3 layers up and Kitsunoh is there to make sure they aren't going anywhere. All too often I outspeed their Rocks lead for one layer, Encore them into Rocks and drop a second on the switch. It works great and I can pull that on setup mons too thanks to good ol' Arghonaut, but I'll get to him later. I've managed to get three layers up through this method too, which is awesome. Fidgit's great Speed and bulk also make it quite the spinner. It's very good at blowing away hazards, almost as good as it is at setting them. Earth Power gives me a STAB attack that doesn't see a whole lot of use but has taken out a Heatran for me. I don't have huge problems with Heatran though.

Kitsunoh @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Frisk
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - ShadowStrike
    - Superpower
    - Trick

Kitsunoh was designed to be the ultimate scout, but it makes a great revenge killer too. This is probably the first Scarf set I've run without U-Turn or Volt Switch but Kitsunoh greatly appreciates having Earthquake around to deal with opposing Kitsunoh and I don't often hang on to the Scarf for long anyway. Frisk has great synergy with Trick, allowing me to see what I'd get before I do it and going along well with the scout theme. Earthquake is mainly for opposing Kitsunoh, but it handles certain annoying Electric types (Cyclohm, Krillowatt...) and Fire-types well. Heatran without its Balloon is a standout, although Superpower hammers it too. Mollux is another prime Earthquake target, as it's always OHKOed. ShadowStrike is pretty much a better Shadow Ball that's physical. 5% less Accuracy but the same Base Power and a 50% chance to drop my opponent's Def stat is awesome and forces lots of switches. Superpower gets perfect neutral coverage alongside ShadowStrike and hits really hard. Trick dumps my Scarf and gives me something else, usually Leftovers. It's really reliable because of Frisk too, I can also pick up a Life Orb which can be very useful.

Cyclohm @ Life Orb
    Trait: Shield Dust
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hydro Pump
    - Slack Off

Cyclohm is a physical tank that can also hit like a train specially. It's paricularly good on Rain teams with Thunder instead of T-Bolt but it works fine as a special attacker here too. Aurumoth was originally here but it wasn't doing a whole lot for me. The Rocks weakness was a killer and pretty much always gave away Illusion if I couldn't get rid of them. Although seeing a Heatran Quiver Dance probably gave it away anyway =P. Cyclohm does Aurumoth's job much better with Draco Meteor getting STAB and coming off a great SpA stat. The difference between this and Latios though is STAB Thunderbolt to handle opposing bulky Waters that come in to take the hits. Hydro Pump deals with opposing Ground-types like Colossoil that pose a threat to Cyclohm. Slack Of is great for instant recovery and managing my Life Orb recoil.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    Impish Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave

This one we all know well. Ferrothorn is my preferred Rocks setter and favorite Grass-type in general. It functions well as a mixed wall with 350 Def and 310 SpD. It's also my only real Special defender, which I'd love to change but sticking Mollusk over Heatran drops a lot of offense and using Gastrodon over Arghonaut removes my phazing, which is a large part of why this team has worked as well as it has. I do sort of like the Mollusk option since it gives me T-Spikes, a dedicated Rain counter and still has a great Base 131 SpA that doesn't need a whole lot of investment to be good. ANYWAY. Back to Ferro. I gave it a Rocky Helmet this time because its main job is to drop Rocks, maybe T-Wave something and get out. When I need to defend with it, Leech Seed is the first thing I do. Power Whip deals with Gastrodon, which is tricky to handle otherwise. It also gets far better coverage than Gyro Ball offensively for only 45 less BP worst-case scenario. It ruins Politoed too, provided it doesn't run away like they tend to.

Arghonaut @ Leftovers
    Trait: Unaware
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Recover
    - Waterfall
    - Low Kick
    - Roar

Arghonaut has been amazing. The star of the team really. It has excellent physical bulk, completely ignores stat changes and gets instant recovery which all combines to make a REALLY good physical wall. Arghonaut hits respectably hard too, 257 Atk is not horrible with STAB to consider. And Low Kick OHKOs Tyranitar, which is pretty much its job. Waterfall is my main attack due to STAB, reasonably good coverage and a Flinch chance that comes into play more often than I expected. Although Showdown is Hax Central. Roar is the crux of the set, shearing off 25% minimum (well, bar Skarmory anyway) of whatever it brings in and often forcing another switch entirely. I forced in my opponent's Syclant and nearly laughed myself to death as I tore off 75% of its health courtesy of Rocks and 3 Spikes layers AND forced the switch again as there isn't a whole lot most Syclant can do to Arghonaut. Set-up sweepers of literally all kinds hate seeing this kraken.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Flame Charge
    - Earth Power
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Pretty standard Flame Charge Heatran here, Flame Charge on a forced switch and start attacking. Fire Blast is my main attack with STAB and aFlash Fire boost. Earth Power deals with opposing Fire-types, especially Mollusk and Heatran. HP Ice hurts Dragons and Gliscor. Not much explaining to do here, which is good because some of the image URLs have put me really close to the 50,000 character limit.

So anyway, as I said I'd like some more SpD here. I'm liking Mollusk over Heatran, especially since Mollusk gets T-Spikes. Thoughts?
    Last edited by loco1234; 15th December 2012 at 4:42 AM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis