Thread: Dream world in a fic

Default Dream world in a fic

Hey there guys
    I'll get straight to the point: I'm wondering if it is a good idea to incorperate the dream world, or just dream world abilities, into a basic trainer fic (mine is set in Kanto). If so how is the best way to do it?

This is why i am asking the question:
    I have a nerdy trainer as one of my protagonists and i wanted to give him a challenge to deal with... and so i thought of a dream world ability pokemon. This storyline would take place rather late in my fanfic (i'm not even at the first gym battle yet so i have a long way to go).
    I was thinking of the evil team possesing a pokemon with an unusual ability that won a major battle. A load of other stuff happens and the protagonists steal a 'dream catcher' and he gets a dream world poke.
    Everything seems normal, with Joe and Adam venturing on their quest through Kanto, but what is the mysterious Team Storm planning?

Pokemon: Kanto Legends

Come on the Mighty Infernape!

I think simply describing the pokemon as "special" is enough. Like for example a dragonite taking a blizzard to the face and being unfazed, you are led to believe it is special and is later revealed to be MS Dnite.

You know, I've been wanting to do a story about Dream World ever since I started playing in it. The way I had my portrayal in mind was that you wear special helmets and when you sleep, it connects you to your Pokemon's dream. Then when you make a wish to bring something home, you have a device that warps you to the Entralink etc.

But I'm using game mechanics so portrayals might differ.
    岩根雅明=♡

The Dream World aspect of most RP"s and fan fics are a bit cliche nowadays. What I would do is simply add the Dream World as a seperate setting into your fic, and maybe you can face the pokemon you've caught in your dreams. Maybe you would want to add some self-made locations within the dream world. That would open up to a plethora of possibilities there.
    Ardent user of anything Rock, Steel, Ground, or Fire
    3DS FC: 4296-3229-5439
    Credit to Mochi10 for the userbar/Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner

thanks for all the comments, much appreciated!
    Specter Vyle has given me a good idea by suggesting making my own areas. I was thinking I could do snapshots of the dream world during the night when the characters are sleeping, each one getting more detailed until the human character enters the dream world and it is revealed to be the dream world.
    Everything seems normal, with Joe and Adam venturing on their quest through Kanto, but what is the mysterious Team Storm planning?

Pokemon: Kanto Legends

Come on the Mighty Infernape!