Page 1 of 78 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1930

Thread: United States Gun Control: Gun Control = Fascism Everybody!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A handful of dust
    Posts
    2,992

    Default United States Gun Control: Gun Control = Fascism Everybody!

    -- EY YO CLICK THE EMBEDDED LINKS IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE PARTICIPATING IN THIS DISCUSSION --

    The United States needs to seriously reevaluate and increase its gun-control laws.

    Today a man killed twenty children and half a dozen adults in a school using a legally purchased semiautomatic assault rifle.

    This comes days after a public shooting in an Oregon Mall.

    Which came less than six months after the largest mass shooting in U.S. history took place in a Colorado movie theater, also using legally obtained semiautomatic weapons.

    In 1997, the year following a school shooting that left seventeen dead, also using legally obtained weapons, the United Kingdom enacted strict gun legislation that "introduced a ban on all cartridge ammunition handguns with the exception of .22 calibre single-shot weapons in England, Scotland and Wales." Later that year, further legislation banned "the remaining .22 cartridge handguns in England, Scotland and Wales, and leaving only muzzle-loading and historic handguns legal, as well as certain sporting handguns (e.g. "Long-Arms") that fall outside the Home Office Definition of a "Handgun" due to their dimensions," effectively banning all firearms in the UK not designed for use in hunting. Gun-related deaths following passage of the legislature remained more or less consistent, but it's gun-related homicide per capita now falls near the bottom of reporting countries, and well below the United States.

    The United States has the twelfth highest rate (not number; rate) of gun-related homicides among reporting countries in the world. The countries above it are South Africa, the Phillipines, Mexico, Panama, Brazil, Colombia, Swaziland, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica and El Salvador. Many of those countries are marked by flourishing drug trades or are currently involved in civil wars. Some countries that fall below the U.S. on this list are also involved in civil wars.

    Japan has nearly zero gun availability. It also reports less than ten gun-related deaths a year on average. Gun violence has dissapated among yakuza (criminal syndicates) as well. Like the United States, Japan has high-population centers, income inequality and violent mainstream media. Less than ten gun-related deaths a year, even among organized criminal groups.

    Isreal and Switzerland, among the only developed nations to have laxer (only arguably) gun control that the United States are marked by either war of their own (Isreal) or a near lack of income inequality and a socialized infrastructure for providing mental health treatment (Switzerland). EDIT -- Also Switzerland's high gun-ownership rate is due to mandatory military service for young men, after which they keep their gun and equipment at home under certain regulations.

    Since the Columbine, there have been 31 school shootings in the United States and only 14 in the rest of the world combined. Nearly all the weapons were obtained legally. Here is a timeline.

    What are we doing?

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Now, will someone please tell me why the United States should not restrict its gun legislation to ban at least semiautomatic weapons? Will someone please let me know why anyone needs any gun that could be used for anything other than sporting or is immobile and slow-firing enough to not be used outside of home protection? Can someone explain why we should not move to not only requiring criminal background checks in order to purchase firearms, but require psychological evaluations and months of review as well?

    Because crazies will be crazies. Today, the same day as a shooter in the U.S. killed 27 people with his legally purchased semiautomatic gun, a man weilding a kinfe attacked 22 in a school in Chengping, China.

    All of them survived.
    Last edited by Cipher; 17th December 2012 at 5:33 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Under a bridge.
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Because the Republicans will not allow any reasonable amount of control. Apparently the 2nd amendment means everyone gets a machine gun.

  3. #3

    Default

    What the second amendment says about 'gun ownership' was written nearly a century before the first semi- automatic weapon was made and before anyone even had the conception that a fully-automatic rifle with 20+ pieces of death in it would be purchasable by pretty much any adult.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    Key word here being Militia. Rarely do you see people buying and amassing weapons for non military and non police groups to keep their communities safe. What we do see instead is that mostly every time it is individuals buying and using weapons. Another key word here also would be regulated. Its referring to groups and organizations, not just people as in anybody and everybody. The second amendment almost never, ever applies when talking about gun use or ownership by individuals. It applies only when talking about individuals within an organized militia owning weapons.

    So yes, we need some reform and better regulation. It is becoming quite self evident.
    Last edited by Cosmical El Amarna; 17th December 2012 at 2:10 AM.
    My FC for 5th gen is 4041 2078 1937
    current wifi team
        Spoiler:- MasterBark:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Riding on my Crimson Loftwing
    Posts
    1,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pug6666 View Post
    Because the Republicans will not allow any reasonable amount of control. Apparently the 2nd amendment means everyone gets a machine gun.
    So I'm guessing the Democrats have nothing to do with trying to take away guns from reasonable people? Seems legit/sarcasm

    I'm not saying the Democrats cause all of this crap, Republicans have their faults too, but blaming it all on one collective party isn't the answer
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†


    Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

    Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    909

    Default

    You have to understand that a great many of the people who oppose gun control are straight up loony.

    I recently had a bunch of my cousin's friends tell me about how the Second Amendment was written with the purpose of making sure American citizens are AS WELL-ARMED AS THE MILITARY in case the government ever turns on its citizens and tries to control/subdue them. This is not a rational mindset; this is the thought process I had always previously attributed to old coots living in cabins in the woods. But this came from a bunch of young, upper-middle-class college-attending kids. The government wants to control and enslave us, so we need to be armed well enough to take on the military. The Second Amendment is supposed to give every day citizens 50 caliber rifles and fully automatic machine guns, apparently.

    You know, despite the fact that these kids are cool with the PATRIOT Act and the NDAA, which are by far the most oppressive things the American government has done since slavery and Asian-American interment and the Trail of Tears (all of which my cousin and his friends are also okay with). So I have no idea what more they think the government is going to do that they'll have to go arms up. But that's another discussion.

    The Second Amendment IS awkwardly worded. It doesn't say what "arms" are. It doesn't say what a "militia" is, and certainly not what a "well-regulated" one is. That said, I've come to peace with the fact that there is a level of gun ownership that is protected by it and our citizens are entitled to, but the main problem is that those that oppose gun control usually oppose ANY rational semblance of control that anyone with common sense knows is the right thing to do. In their minds, they literally think that if we ban armor-piercing rounds and semi-automatic weapons or putting a limit on guns owned in a household, the government will take away hunting rifles and BB guns the very next day.
    Last edited by Sid87; 16th December 2012 at 11:17 PM.


    Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

    FC: 3823-9867-2750

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pug6666 View Post
    Because the Republicans will not allow any reasonable amount of control. Apparently the 2nd amendment means everyone gets a machine gun.
    Ah no...

    the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm, unconnected to service in a militia[1][2] and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes
    Meaning that you have the right to own a gun but you can only use it for purposes in which it isn't against the law. People use them for self defense or there's few who use them for hunting purposes. Yes, there were alot of shootings, however it doesn't mean that the second amendment should be taken away.

    I guess the case isn't "guns don't kill people, people kill people" I see it as "stupid people with guns kill people". I've seen a documentary where someone shows us how easy it is to buy a gun these days. I guess what I am trying to say is that maybe they should reinforce the laws that you have to be over 18 with a permit.
    岩根雅明=♡

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    2,950

    Default

    The only use I see for gun availability is hunting and personal protection, but I believe that gun control's benefits far outweigh its negatives. Hunting is mainly a pastime for most people in today's modern society, so I don't believe that the hunting argument is that strong.

    The personal protection argument is slightly better because I understand the need for a weapon in case of an assault on one's person or home, but reduced gun availability will also decrease the chance that the criminal has a firearm.

    As stated in the OP, countries with zero gun availability have less reports of gun violence than countries that allow everyone to own guns. And I also agree with the OP that people purchasing weapons should have their background checked for psychological imbalances, though that won't always stop crazy people from obtaining weapons.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Under a bridge.
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Also the swiss have reasons for that as a man passivley serves in the army and has powerful guns at home as a result.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,322

    Default

    Uunters can just use traps and stiff likenthe old days

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post
    Ah no...

    Meaning that you have the right to own a gun but you can only use it for purposes in which it isn't against the law. People use them for self defense or there's few who use them for hunting purposes. Yes, there were alot of shootings, however it doesn't mean that the second amendment should be taken away.
    So, why are assault rifles still acceptable? What "traditionally lawful purpose" would they serve that another gun couldn't do just as well or better, and not be as readily used for mass murder?

    I guess the case isn't "guns don't kill people, people kill people" I see it as "stupid people with guns kill people". I've seen a documentary where someone shows us how easy it is to buy a gun these days. I guess what I am trying to say is that maybe they should reinforce the laws that you have to be over 18 with a permit.
    Well, yes, that too, and doing background checks, and having an actual wait period, and maybe the gun stores should have some kind of permit, too?
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    164

    Default

    I do believe that gun control is needed but we have to think for a second here. Criminals/crazy people don't care about laws. If they really want a gun, they are going to go to the right people and get it anyway. It's just like drugs. The republican argument is to not focus on gun control but instead focus on the medical sufficiency of the mentally unstable.
    hehe

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    8,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    So, why are assault rifles still acceptable? What "traditionally lawful purpose" would they serve that another gun couldn't do just as well or better, and not be as readily used for mass murder?
    You know some people do like to collect things, just merely to have them and yes sometimes use them for hunting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Well, yes, that too, and doing background checks, and having an actual wait period, and maybe the gun stores should have some kind of permit, too?
    You mean like what they have in Connecticut? The state that has some of the strongest gun control laws in the country and there still was a mass shooting?

    Here is the thing, you can have every gun control law you want, but this shooting still would have happened. Only way to prevent it would be to ban guns all together but that is ignorant merely because as others have said, we have a massive border with Mexico that already has a well connected network to ship in things. Not to mention in the next 20 to 30 years with the spread of 3D Printers, Gun Control laws in and of themselves will become obsolete.
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pokemon world, I wish ._...XD
    Posts
    1,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmical El Amarna View Post
    What the second amendment says about 'gun ownership' was written nearly a century before the first semi- automatic weapon was made and before anyone even had the conception that a fully-automatic handgun with 20+ pieces of death in it would be purchasable by pretty much any adult.

    Key word here being Militia. Rarely do you see people buying and amassing weapons for non military and non police groups to keep their communities safe. What we do see instead is that mostly every time it is individuals buying and using weapons. Another key word here also would be regulated. Its referring to groups and organizations, not just people as in anybody and everybody. The second amendment almost never, ever applies when talking about gun use or ownership by individuals. It applies only when talking about individuals within an organized militia owning weapons.

    So yes, we need some reform and better regulation. It is becoming quite self evident.
    I agree with what this person said.

    Can someone compare our system of gun regulation to another, perhaps more safe country? If not, then compare it too Britain...I'd kinda like to know.


    And Yes I'd also agree with the fact that criminals don't care about the laws. Yet, we need to enforce them to get much of anywhere. Lets not play party politics please >3>...we get enough of it, lol

    EDIT: opps, missed the UK one.
    Last edited by EmphaticPikachu; 17th December 2012 at 12:09 AM.
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    I'll sing Row, you sing Row
    Posts
    1,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    You know some people do like to collect things, just merely to have them and yes sometimes use them for hunting.
    "just merely to have them" sure sounds like a reasonable excuse to own a high-powered rifle that serves no exclusive purpose over another gun besides mass murder.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    733

    Default

    I don't see how "it could still happen" is a good argument. Like "if there were no guns this would never happen", it's technically true, but doesn't really address what went wrong, much less makes any attempt at fixing the issue.
    And just because *THIS* tragedy may not be related to loose gun control laws (not saying it is or isn't) doesn't mean we don't need tighter gun laws in general.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneyy View Post
    As stated in the OP, countries with zero gun availability have less reports of gun violence than countries that allow everyone to own guns. And I also agree with the OP that people purchasing weapons should have their background checked for psychological imbalances, though that won't always stop crazy people from obtaining weapons.
    Well of course, but you can still commit a crime without a gun.

    I agree that people should be screened when they go to purchase a gun, or get a gun permit. In fact, it should be like with your driver's license. Every license has an expiration date, and you have to renew it by that date. So this should be a requirement for gun permits as well, and you have to be screened for mental evaluation.

    Then again, you'll have people who'll lie about their mental health...

    Either way, I don't want guns to be out-lawed completely. Not everyone is great at self-defense, not everyone is great at throwing knives, not everyone is an archer, et cetera, et cetera. Just because you can hide in your house doesn't mean that the person who broke in won't do harmful things to you. I want to be able to protect my family if the criminals ever make a move to harm. I can't always guarantee that the person threatening my family won't ever have a gun on their person, but many burglars are cowardly people who will run at the drop of a pin, and will certainly run from a house owned by a gun owner. But people are unpredictable, and I don't want to turn my back on any trespasser.

    If people are so insistent on gun control, then we should be talking more about gun safety, especially to the children. Instead of telling someone "Don't play with guns" and just leaving it at that, how about we teach that person by letting them see a gun in person, and have them handle it (safety on and no bullets in the chamber, you need to be smart with this)? Makes more sense then just showing a digital picture of a gun, because then the person will have had some personal experience with a gun, and will have (hopefully) gained some common sense.

    That's just me, though. I don't know if I ever will get a gun, I personally don't want to, but if I have to (I pray it doesn't get to that point) then I will. And for that, I don't want a very strict gun control law. I'd be better off with having difficulty (but not impossible) getting permits to a gun than to have no guns at all.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pokemon world, I wish ._...XD
    Posts
    1,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    If people are so insistent on gun control, then we should be talking more about gun safety, especially to the children. Instead of telling someone "Don't play with guns" and just leaving it at that, how about we teach that person by letting them see a gun in person, and have them handle it (safety on and no bullets in the chamber, you need to be smart with this)? Makes more sense then just showing a digital picture of a gun, because then the person will have had some personal experience with a gun, and will have (hopefully) gained some common sense.
    I do believe there is slight a connection between socialization of learning what guns are. However keep in mind that kids tend to override there parents by the time the reach the age that they atcually understand what it is. Honestly, the situation depends upon the kid's personality and area of living...but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to try something like that. But lets get more confirmation upon what works when it comes to making kids understand that. :3
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    pOtato
    Posts
    386

    Default

    The whole thing about gun control is that they obtain a weapon, legal or not. There is no way to stop guns with there being so many of them. The only thing that the government can do is promote gun safety and make it harder to obtain a weapon for law abiding citizens like me. That's all gun control does.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    This must be the place.
    Posts
    447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Klizcool View Post
    The whole thing about gun control is that they obtain a weapon, legal or not. There is no way to stop guns with there being so many of them. The only thing that the government can do is promote gun safety and make it harder to obtain a weapon for law abiding citizens like me. That's all gun control does.
    Yes. As evidenced by the first post, that's clearly all gun control laws do.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2d164cz.png[/IMG]

    pock pock pock

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Support. Gun Control laws are a joke as they are now. Anyone can own an ASSAULT rifle. Yes, we have the right to bear arms. However, when that was written, ARMS DID NOT REFER TO AUTOMATIC WEAPONS that can take out tens and tends of people in seconds. The NRA needs to get their sh*t together.


    Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile




    Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

    *credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,307

    Default

    This is why I'm glad that Australia makes it hard to legally obtain guns. Only military personel and the police should be allowed to carry them. Carrying a gun around is just asking for trouble. It makes the person carrying the gun an instant target. It installs the false belief that they are stronger than they actually are. Experienced criminals who use guns will be a lot more faster than other people -the slightest hesitation could mean death. Futhermore unless someone anticipates the attack beforehand most people wont have enough time to get a gun and load the bullets without their attacker seeing rendering the gun useless. I feel for the families affected by this crisis but this is what I think of the issue. Countries which allow teens and religious psychos to easily buy guns are seriously messed up. The law has failed the victims of this shooting.

  22. #22

    Default

    ... or if you have convicted of a crime, I think you shouldn't have the right to carry a gun.

    Might be extreme but I do think that criminals should get rights taken away.
    岩根雅明=♡

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post
    ... or if you have convicted of a crime, I think you shouldn't have the right to carry a gun.

    Might be extreme but I do think that criminals should get rights taken away.
    Just because someone doesn't have a criminal record doesn't mean that they are incapable of causing harm.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Unova
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Who saw this thread coming? *raises hand*

    Anyway, I don't think we should go full out BAN ALL GUNS YO! because I don't find it neccessary or feasible at the moment.

    HOWEVER-
    Something needs to be done about the easy access of guns. It really should not be that easy to get one. And I hear this "oh well they'll just get them anyway lol". Okay? So that means we should just sit on our hands and do nothing? There's no reason why we can't make it harder for them to get.

    I'm not sure how good of a solution this is, but I'm also in favor of regular mental health checkups of gun owners. If someone isn't found to be mentally fit, take the gun away until they are.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    8,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless123 View Post
    This is why I'm glad that Australia makes it hard to legally obtain guns. Only military personel and the police should be allowed to carry them.
    Which is going to be rather obsolete in about 20 years from now when you have wide spread 3D printers that can print out guns.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless123 View Post
    Carrying a gun around is just asking for trouble. It makes the person carrying the gun an instant target. It installs the false belief that they are stronger than they actually are. Experienced criminals who use guns will be a lot more faster than other people -the slightest hesitation could mean death. Futhermore unless someone anticipates the attack beforehand most people wont have enough time to get a gun and load the bullets without their attacker seeing rendering the gun useless.
    You do realize there are Concealed Carry laws in which people can walk around with a hand gun hidden under their shirt completely concealed from the public, making much of your argument here moot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless123 View Post
    I feel for the families affected by this crisis but this is what I think of the issue. Countries which allow teens and religious psychos to easily buy guns are seriously messed up. The law has failed the victims of this shooting.
    Except this guy didn't buy his gun HE STOLE THEM
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

Page 1 of 78 123451151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •