Thread: First Person Trainer Fic

Default First Person Trainer Fic

Do you guys think this can work? I would like to attempt to execute one to show a trainer's perspective.
    My current plot idea is a trainer from Castelia City unsure about his meaning in the world, only to eventually discover the inevitable, that he has a strong connection with Pokemon when he battles and challenge the Unova League.

I think as long as you avoid the classic cliches of the Trainer waking up late and getting the last Pokemon from the Professor, anything will work.

In fact, if I may make a recommendation, try coming up with a creative way for the Trainer to get their starter Pokemon, that doesn't involve them getting it from the Professor. I love Fics that do this, because it really breaks the mold of what's usually seen in a Fic.

But yes, the first-person Trainer Fic can indeed work.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    I think as long as you avoid the classic cliches of the Trainer waking up late and getting the last Pokemon from the Professor, anything will work.

In fact, if I may make a recommendation, try coming up with a creative way for the Trainer to get their starter Pokemon, that doesn't involve them getting it from the Professor. I love Fics that do this, because it really breaks the mold of what's usually seen in a Fic.

But yes, the first-person Trainer Fic can indeed work.
    Thanks for the input, and I was not planning on the starter being from the usual professor.

Lots of trainer fics are in first person; this isn't exactly a revolutionary concept.

Not to say you can't write one, of course - just that you should be aware that being in first person is not going to make it fresh and new by itself. The plot sounds kind of generic - most trainer fics are about trainers that have a strong connection with Pokémon and challenge a League - so you might want to think about what you're bringing to the table that's special and new.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

If I say so myself, and keep in mind that I'm not expert at this...its quite hard not to write in first person for a fic about a trainer, or anybody for now.

Though I'd guess that it'd be a nice way to see if you can write well or not. Can you capture the emotions of the trainer right? Perhaps use it to see and improve your writing style...Probably something I should of done before I started the fic that I consider "unique." >_>...xD Though if you have interesting twists sometime later, use it as a true story. xD

I dunno honestly, I just kinda wanted to put my two cents into this because I have trouble writing out of 1st person for my main character...lol

excuse me if I'm misinturpretting what you're saying.
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Thanks for the input guys, mind giving it a read?
    Check out my FanFic: In the Eyes of Damon (PG)