Thread: Ou sun team help

Default Ou sun team help

i am useing a sun team for a local tournament i would like as much feedback as possible

Ninetales@chesto berry
    Drought/timid
    252HP/92SPDef/164spe
    -flamethrower
    -will-o-wisp
    -rest
    -protect/energy ball
    i will only use ninetails for sun and burn rest just in case a status hinders it and to allow survival for weather wars

Infernape@Focus sash
    blaze/adamant
    252Atk/252Spe
    -mach punch
    -close combat
    -overheat
    -thunderpunch
    a standard set i was thinking maybe u-turn insteadbof thunderpunch his main role is to ride the field of heatran and tyranitar

Slobro@leftovers
    Regenerator/bold
    252HP/200Def/56SPatk
    -yawn
    -ice beam
    -psychic
    -slack off
    he is an essential part in taking pokemon that would run through my team namely lando and terrakion and the 56 spatk evs are given to take out dragons easeier

Dragonite@?haban berry?
    multiscale/lonely
    -200Atk/128/SPatk/180Spe
    -draco meteor
    -fire punch
    -extreme speed
    -earthquake
    the ev spead is used to allow dragonite to hit hard with draco meteor and not swich out it has a hard time fighting dragons with outrage because they destroy dragonite with out haban berry but i dont know what else to put on

Luxray@Toxic orb
    Guts/rash
    252Atk/252Spe
    -crunch
    -wild charge
    -volt swich
    -thunder wave
    he is mostly used as a scout to use thunder wave than swich out or attack

Tangrowth@life orb
    chlorophyll/lax
    200Hp/200Def/108spe
    -growth
    -sleep powder
    -giga drain
    -earthquake
    he acts as my sweeper when i know sun will be up an extra turn growth to regain health lost with lifeorb i use live orb so i can invest in defense

im trying to fit heatran or hitmontop in but i dont know how to use them
    Last edited by PanOne; 21st December 2012 at 4:03 AM.

Right, let's see what we've got here...

Ninetales, not much to say. It's a weather lead. I personally really like the Power Split set though, and I feel ChestoRest locks you out of a very useful Air Balloon. I'll list that set here just in case you want to try it, but ChestoRest Ninetales is fine really.

Ninetales @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Drought
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    Evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, 0 Atk IVs, 0 SpA IVs
    - Overheat
    - Power Split
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Substitute

It looks weird, I know, but it's actually somewhat useful for a gimmicky set. Its main purpose is to cripple attackers with either Will-O-Wisp or Power Split. I've invested nothing into SpA for that reason, as the set, surprisingly, gets more effective as your SpA drops. You aren't trying to damage things with it, and you aren't using Hidden Power so the IV drop won't hurt you at all. Power Split takes your attacking stats and your opponent's attacking stats and averages them, so if yours is low theirs gets cut more and you gain more. Use after Overheat for best results. You end up about where you would be without the IVs and hindering nature, but they're lower than otherwise. That's for Special attackers, while Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers. Substitute is mainly filler, but it's useful filler. Again, if you like what you have it works fine. This is a personal favorite and it's done good things for me, disrupting whatever I need it to. Spe can even be converted to one of your defenses if you want, since the slower Poke wins the initial weather war. I'd recommend SpD to more or less force Politoed out and give you a free Overheat turn.

U-Turn over Thunderpunch on Ape, it's a fantastic move. You already have Tangrowth for Water-types.

For Slowbro, you're really best off with 252 / 252 / 4. A 4x super-effective Ice Beam kills Salamence and Landorus nice and dead at 4 SpA EVs too.

For Dragonite, go for Choice Band.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multiscale
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Punch
    - Extremespeed

Armageddon has come (Funny, tomorrow's the 21st...). Choice Band Dragonite strikes with earth-shattering force. If it isn't Steel, it isn't surviving Outrage, plain and simple. If it is, it isn't surviving EQ or Fire Punch, whichever hits harder. Finally, Extremespeed is for picking off weakened things that can't do anything to stop you. It also makes a decent attack, Dragonite's pretty much the Extremekiller of OU. Well, unless Lucario gets an SD off. Then it might take that title.

Luxray, no. Not on Sun, not in OU. Since you say you want Heatran, here Heatran shall go.

Heatran @ Air Balloon (I really like that item)
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Flame Charge
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Earth Power

Ever since Divine Retribution introduced me to this set, it's been by far my favorite Tran set. Come in on something you scare off and set up with Flame Charge on the switch, then maul existence until you're KOed is pretty much the gist of the set. Flash Fire is amazing, Fire immunity and power boost. Fire Blast is your main attack, in the sun, with STAB, off Heatran's massive SpA stat and with a Flash Fire boost it obliterates life itself. Hidden Power Ice is for dragons, Landorus and Gliscor and Earth Power handles opposing Fire-types, especially Heatrans. You can run Stealth Rock over Flame Charge too. You forfeit sweeping potential for a very useful hazard.

Finally Tangrowth is a good Chlorophyll sweeper (though I find Sawsbuck and Venusaur to be better) but that EV spread should never be used on an attacking Pokemon. It should use a Life Orb anyway, but you should not invest in defense or HP. It's an attacker, not a wall. Oh, and Growth does nothing to heal off LO damage, Tangrowth's only heals are in Giga Drain and Regenerator, the first of which Chlorophyll sets should not use and the second of which they CAN'T use.

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SpD)
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Power Whip
    - Hidden Power Fire
    - Earthquake
    - Growth

It's really straightforward - Growth and sweep. Power Whip should be your main attack as it gets STAB and has great Base Power. Hidden Power Fire is your secondary move, mainly intended to hit opposing Grass-types. Earthquake is its standard self that murders so much so well, although if you wanted Rock Slide could be used here to hit Flying-types. Standard stuff with this one, but I still advocate Sawsbuck or Venusaur instead. They've both served me better.

More options can be found here.. Note that Smogon's sets are by no means all a Pokemon can do, and sometimes custom sets can play a certain role better than their sets do. Sets are not listed on that page.
    Last edited by loco1234; 21st December 2012 at 4:45 AM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Personally, I feel that on a sun team, a spinner is absolutely necessary because of the huge weakness to rocks. Personally, i suggest this standard donphan set.

@Leftovers
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
    Trait: Sturdy
    Nature: Sturdy
    ~Rapid Spin
    ~Earthquake
    ~Stone edge / Head Smash / Fire Fang
    ~Ice Shard / Stealth Rock

Basically, this is a standard offensive spinning Donphan set. I literately just copied this from smogon. On the third slot, i recommend Stone Edge because it just looks better to me. Quake Edge has near perfect or actually perfect coverage (I forget which). As for what to replace, I recommend Donphan > Luxray. If you want more information on this set you can read up on this page, under the Offensive Rapid Spin set.

Also, I recommend Venusaur > Tangrowth. Even though the attacking stats are a little lower, the speed is higher and it makes a world of a difference. You can basically use the same set as far as I can tell, just on Venusaur instead of tangrowth. Oh, and different EVs. Let me write out a set for this too.

@Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    Nature: Modest
    ~ Growth
    ~ Giga Drain / SolarBeam
    ~ Hidden Power Fire
    ~ Sludge Bomb / Sleep Powder

Like I said, very similar set, except faster.

Summary:

Donphan > Luxray
    Venusaur > Tangrowth