Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Hi-Jynx re edited

Default Holiday Hi-Jynx re edited

I came across a picture of a upcoming Smash Christmas episode airing the infamous Jynx episode and well... take a look

My FireRed Champs:

My HeartGold Team:

My Black Team:

My White Team:

My White 2 Team So Far:

They redid the Jynx with the new purple skin color? Or at least, I think that's what you're showing us here.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Default Pokemon Smash to air an edited version of "Holiday Hi-Jinx" next week

Dogasu mentioned it on Bulbagarden, so I thought it should be here as well if anyone is interested in it.

Bonnie: Hey, Clauncher, could you do me a favour and marry my brother?
    Clauncher: What? I can understand the old man's senility, but this is just annoying.

Bonnie: Come on, Dedenne! I want that Gym Badge!
    Clauncher: If only this wasn't a kids show.
    3DS FC: 1891 1376 6990. Add me. Wii U Nintendo Network ID: Playerking.

Funny and unnecesary...

God,how awful some gen 1 pkmn look>.>

that's interesting. by edited I assume its just the colour of Jynxs skin?

At least this was an easy edit unlike the episodes having to do with EQ.

So did they improve the quality or did they just make Jynx purple.

Yes that is a Female Dino Charge Red. It's a FanFic thing
    3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794

Interesting, it's always nice seeing older episodes keep their recognition. A lot of shows do an episode and forget about it and keep moving forward never looking back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nacreous View Post
    Funny and unnecesary...

God,how awful some gen 1 pkmn look>.>
    Racist much?

On Topic: This is only for the holidays or can we expect another banned episodes to air from there onwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Umbilical Noose View Post
    Racist much?

On Topic: This is only for the holidays or can we expect another banned episodes to air from there onwards?
    I doubt it.

isn't it only banned in the dub?

I wonder if this episode might return to the US edited like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post
    I doubt it.

isn't it only banned in the dub?
    This episode has been aired before in the US.
    In snow, the pure white coat covering its body obscures it from predators.
    Dewgong

Quote Originally Posted by IcySealeo View Post
    This episode has been aired before in the US.
    and then was taken out of rotation right? or did they just edit it and put it back?

Awesome, they're going back to these old classic episodes Wonder how edited the episode was

I think they just changed Jynx from having black skin to purple.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Haha as if they've edited it.. It always made me laugh how they edited Jynx to have a purple face in the first place, all because a few ridiculous people were butthurt about its skin colour.

Oh Em Gee! That Pokémon looks like a woman and its face is black! RACISMWTFBBQ!

I genuinely am concerned about what the world is becoming, with parents who complain about utter crap like that. It's them who puts such stupid thoughts into the minds of their children, since I really doubt the children had thought anything of it in the first place when Jynx popped up on their screens all those years ago.

the whole jynx being blackface thing is stupid! it's not based on blackface! it's based on the Japanese cannibalistic mountain troll yama-uba with some aspects of the Japanese fad called Ganguro.....Ganguro is an alternative fashion trend of blonde, pink or silver hair and tanned skin among young Japanese women that peaked in popularity around the year 2000

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post
    and then was taken out of rotation right? or did they just edit it and put it back?
    No, a couple channels in one single country just removed it from rotation for a while, then eventually brought it back on air. It currently airs everywhere just like any other episodes, and it's never been skipped over for home video releases. There's nothing particularly special about this episode, and it's never been "banned".

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    Awesome, they're going back to these old classic episodes
    They air a classic episode every week. This isn't anything unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    Wonder how edited the episode was
    Why ould you assume they've done anything to it besides that color edit?
    Last edited by Dephender; 16th December 2012 at 3:54 PM.

Hopefully they can air the porygon or tauros episodes again

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Hopefully they can air the porygon or tauros episodes again
    "They" who?
    The former is banned and won't ever air again, and the latter airs all the time just like any other episode.

I think he's referring to The Legend of Dratini, where Ash caught 30 Tauros. That episode was banned due to excessive use of firearms (or is that not the case in Japan?). You'd think 4Kids would have said they were water pistols.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    I think he's referring to The Legend of Dratini, where Ash caught 30 Tauros. That episode was banned due to excessive use of firearms (or is that not the case in Japan?). You'd think 4Kids would have said they were water pistols.
    The episode wasn't banned, it was just skipped over by 4Kids for their dub. It airs just like any other episode everywhere else.

The only actual banned episode is the Porygon one, though it seems the third Pikachu short has fallen into "let's pretend it doesn't exist" territory over in Japan nowadays too, being skipped over on all home releases and rerun sessions that logically should've included it.

@Dephender, the episode wa sbanned in all countries outside of Asia (where 4kids air the episodes). Not in the rest of the world. When you post here, post that knowing that Japanses people are the exception, not the rule.

About the Jynx episode, this was what exactly happened when the Jynx episode airs:

Jynx

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbapedia

Carole Boston Weatherford, a cultural critic, claimed that Jynx, which had recently appeared in Holiday Hi-Jynx, was a negative racial stereotype of African-Americans. She chiefly compared Jynx to the racist characters in The Story of Little Black Sambo, and further compared Jynx to Mr. Popo of the Dragon Ball franchise, a character who is also potentially offensive in his design.
    Weatherford's complaint caused many repercussions in Pokémon. The sprites of Jynx in the international release of Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal were changed, and EP250 was cut from international airings of the anime. A Jynx that appeared in All Things Bright and Beautifly! was also cut from the dub.
    Jynx's design was officially changed by Nintendo to being purple, rather than black, and this change was reflected in later games (beginning with Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire) and the anime (starting in Mean With Envy). Jynx has also been recolored in VIZ Media's reissues of Pokémon Adventures. Although the manga appears in black-and-white, Jynx appearing in the manga are recolored as a dark gray rather than straight black, implying that they are purple and not black. It is also recolored to purple on the back cover of the reissue of Volume 4.
    In recent years, some fans of Pokémon have noted that Jynx may be inspired by ganguro, a Japanese fashion where women tan heavily, bleach their hair, and apply large amounts of makeup, instead of a black stereotype. This theory is mainly based on Jynx's long, straight, blonde hair, a common attribute of ganguro fashion.
    Other people, however, think Jynx is based on a Nordic princess. This is because there are legends saying things like due to the blistering cold, a princess's skin turned black. They argue that Jynx's hair looks more like royalty than an African stereotype. They also say that being based on a viking could reason why they are Ice type.
    The important part of the history is in old. Jynx controversy caused that every episode that a black Jynx appear was banned internationally (if it's a star pokemon) or one scene was deleted internationally (in other instances).

What's strange is why suddenly Japan cares about editing the episode 15 years later than his orginal airing.

Also, a extra note:
    The reason why doesn't exist Christmas episodes with the Dawn, or Cilan and Iris is because the Pokemon series is a series that needs to be aired to got tyhrough the storyline. If a country skipped back and forth many episodes to air a Christmas episode, they could cause inconsistent with the main anime.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 16th December 2012 at 7:07 PM.
    I think that Pokemon is beautiful and has its charm

Serebii, Bulbagarden

Note: I decided to not post post that had cause hate to me anymore. If you see one, please PM me and I will delete the moment I'm aware and I'm online.

I need to take a break in the anime forum because these forum bored me.

Quote Originally Posted by fer92 View Post
    @Dephender, the episode wa sbanned in all countries outside of Asia (where 4kids air the episodes).
    What, the Dratini episode? No, it was never "banned", 4Kids just didn't dub it. There was nothing to ban in the first place.

Either way, this thread concerns the editing of a different episode for its upcoming airing on a Japanese show in Japan, an episode which TV stations there have never had any issues with airing. It's an interesting tidbit, but it doesn't have anything to do with 4Kids choosing to skip some other completely unrelated episode ages ago.

So is this a remastered episode like they did with the first episode a while back, or is the skin color the only change?

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast