Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Hi-Jynx re edited

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    What, the Dratini episode? No, it was never "banned", 4Kids just didn't dub it. There was nothing to ban in the first place.

Either way, this thread concerns the editing of a different episode for its upcoming airing on a Japanese show in Japan, an episode which TV stations there have never had any issues with airing. It's an interesting tidbit, but it doesn't have anything to do with 4Kids choosing to skip some other completely unrelated episode ages ago.
    Rumor has it that the episode was dubbed, but no one's been able to confirm it.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Either way, when stuff like guns or skin colour does become the cause for removing episodes from the continuity, you realise just how pathetic some people in the world can be.

In fact, I find the actual complaints about Jynx's skin colour more racist than the design itself. It's like saying "A Pokemon of a different race? No kids that is not allowed!"

Kingler, my friend. No matter what, you will always remain my favourite Water type. You shouldn't have missed out on the Sinnoh League and I look forward to seeing you again, hopefully in the near future.

There you are, I see you in the back there!

I never found Jynx offensive, but do understand that some members of my race are overly sensitive to all the wrong things.

@Dephender, the episode wa sbanned in all countries outside of Asia (where 4kids air the episodes).
    It was not banned in the US.

It was aired as a Special with the other delayed episode (Snow Way Out) in the US. After that they were both added to the rotation of episodes that were re-aired up until Kanto episodes stopped being shown on TV altogether a few years ago.

The episode you're thinking of is The Ice Cave from Johto. That was Episode 250 in the very article you quoted.

The reason why doesn't exist Christmas episodes with the Dawn, or Cilan and Iris is because the Pokemon series is a series that needs to be aired to got tyhrough the storyline.
    I thought it was because Christmas Episodes became Pikachu Specials after Kanto, and Specials became rare after the Hoenn League when the Special Episodes stopped airing.

Think TPCi could take the english audio of the original version and apply it to the new edited version. They probably wouldn't but COULD they?

I remember reading on Bulbapedia the Porygon episode had in fact been dubbed by 4Kids and the intensity and speed of the flashing explosion had been reduced.
    I See Events of Long Ago, and Things Which Have Not Yet Come to Pass...

Feb 24, 2012: The day I beat the Elite Four, N and Ghetsis.

Final Pokemon Black Team:
    Simipour - Lv. 83.
    Serperior - Lv. 83.
    Zebstrika - Lv. 84.
    Unfezant - Lv. 85.
    Dragonite - Lv. 100.
    Mewtwo - Lv. 100.

Unova Dex: Seen 150/Caught 130.
    National Dex: Seen 600/Caught 551.

Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
    I remember reading on Bulbapedia the Porygon episode had in fact been dubbed by 4Kids and the intensity and speed of the flashing explosion had been reduced.
    But the embargo Japan set prevented them.

BTW, it's an odd coincidence that no one on the staff that day thought the flashing would be bad and that nobody that day was susceptible to epilepsy.

I can't actually remember which of the so called 'banned' episodes was chopped up and heavily edited for the dub.. but I don't think it was any of the previously mentioned ones..

Wasn't it Beauty and the Beach?

Kingler, my friend. No matter what, you will always remain my favourite Water type. You shouldn't have missed out on the Sinnoh League and I look forward to seeing you again, hopefully in the near future.

There you are, I see you in the back there!

Beauty and the Beach, originally Holiday at Acapulco, was heavily edited because of the scene involving James's inflatable breasts.

Simipour - Lv. 83.
    Serperior - Lv. 83.
    Zebstrika - Lv. 84.
    Unfezant - Lv. 85.
    Dragonite - Lv. 100.
    Mewtwo - Lv. 100.

Really? That is great. I'm still waiting for Porygon's episode next and then maybe the Porygon evolution line might get some actual justice.

My ideal battle ever!

Sorry Caseydia, keep on waiting. Until the Japanese government lift that ban, keep on waitin'.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    I can't actually remember which of the so called 'banned' episodes was chopped up and heavily edited for the dub.. but I don't think it was any of the previously mentioned ones..

Wasn't it Beauty and the Beach?
    Yes, they aired it back in 2000 or so back when Orange Islands was still going. Not sure why they didn't just edit the Dratini ep too at the time.

I saw Dogasu talking about this. I think it's great that they're editing Jynx from the old episodes. I personally never thought there was anything wrong with her before, but this is a step in the right direction; it means that the people in charge of the anime are taking notice of things that could be considered offensive and are correcting them. I only hope this continues.

Nice to know that the classic episodes air on Japanese TV every week.

Speaking of, does anyone know how someone in the UK can watch old episodes? I don't think there's any channel that airs them...
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    I saw Dogasu talking about this. I think it's great that they're editing Jynx from the old episodes. I personally never thought there was anything wrong with her before, but this is a step in the right direction; it means that the people in charge of the anime are taking notice of things that could be considered offensive and are correcting them. I only hope this continues.
    You're confusing "could be offensive" with people twisting things and getting upset over nothing. If Jynx was made as a racist joke, then fine it should be changed. But there's just as much evidence against it as there is for it.

Answer me this, if Jynx was designed with racism in mind...why would it's "skin" color being changed make anything better? It's just it's "skin" color, and it doesn't change what Jynx is or what offended people thought it was. I thought that skin color isn't supposed to matter?

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

I don't have a problem with it. They want to come off as PC so I can't say that I'm too surprised about them doing this.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

What i don't get is there were guns in Squirtle's debut episode, yet it's the Safari Zone episode that gets in trouble.

Simipour - Lv. 83.
    Serperior - Lv. 83.
    Zebstrika - Lv. 84.
    Unfezant - Lv. 85.
    Dragonite - Lv. 100.
    Mewtwo - Lv. 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
    What i don't get is there were guns in Squirtle's debut episode, yet it's the Safari Zone episode that gets in trouble.
    I recall there being guns in other episodes as well that didn't get banned. Maybe the Safari Zone got banned because it was held right to Ash's face and the other guns weren't.

He I was thinking it was only done for the USA games and anime. interesting

What, the Dratini episode? No, it was never "banned", 4Kids just didn't dub it. There was nothing to ban in the first place.

Either way, this thread concerns the editing of a different episode for its upcoming airing on a Japanese show in Japan, an episode which TV stations there have never had any issues with airing. It's an interesting tidbit, but it doesn't have anything to do with 4Kids choosing to skip some other completely unrelated episode ages ago.
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EP035

This controversial episode was banned in all countries outside of Asia, largely due the pervasive use of profanity and firearms, which are pointed at Ash and Kaiser and fired at Jessie, James, and Meowth. Even though the scenes where Kaiser threatens Ash, Misty and Brock with his guns were intended for comic effect, the American censors still found this offensive. Although an English dubbed version of this episode has never aired, dub voice actors have confirmed that it was made. Unfortunately for fans, this episode's non-airing created a major plot hole for non-Japanese versions of the show, confusing many viewers on how, when, where, and why Ash captured thirty Tauros, although Professor Oak mentioned it once in Showdown at the Po-ké Corral.

The offensive content of the episode could have likely been removed by normal editing, and aired in a modified format, similar to another banned episode, Beauty and the Beach. EP035 would have required far less editing, but it is unknown why these modifications were not made.

Quote Originally Posted by lanmanna View Post
    Bulbapedia is a fan-edited site. Some random person writing something on the internet doesn't make it true.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    Haha as if they've edited it.. It always made me laugh how they edited Jynx to have a purple face in the first place, all because a few ridiculous people were butthurt about its skin colour.

Oh Em Gee! That Pokémon looks like a woman and its face is black! RACISMWTFBBQ!

I genuinely am concerned about what the world is becoming, with parents who complain about utter crap like that. It's them who puts such stupid thoughts into the minds of their children, since I really doubt the children had thought anything of it in the first place when Jynx popped up on their screens all those years ago.
    Well, according to a friend on facebook, some woman went up to him and yelled at him because his son was 'bullying' his daughter by saying "You can't catch me!" So...yeah, the political correctness is hindering kids and people in general.

Bulbapedia is a fan-edited site. Some random person writing something on the internet doesn't make it true.
    I've read it numerous other places too.

Quote Originally Posted by lanmanna View Post
    I've read it numerous other places too.
    Misinterpretations tend to get parroted a lot, especially ones that have been around for 10+ years. People just repeat the same illogical nonsense they've always heard without even thinking about what the words they're using mean.

Misinterpretations tend to get parroted a lot, especially ones that have been around for 10+ years. People just repeat the same illogical nonsense they've always heard without even thinking about what the words they're using mean.
    So wait, is the Jynx recoloring not true then?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast