Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holiday Hi-Jynx re edited

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Staff View Post
    So wait, is the Jynx recoloring not true then?
    The recoloring is true.
    The misinterpretations being talked about (which isn't really on-topic, yeah. My bad) is that all these episodes that weren't dubbed into English are somehow "banned" rather than just... not dubbed.
    The Porygon episode, yeah, that's likely banned from being shown on TV anywhere, licensed out, etc, and the Japanese seem to have put somewhat of a ban on the third Pikachu short recently considering it's being kept away from everything nowadays... but the idea that someone somewhere banned things like the Dratini episode in any capacity is ridiculous. Banned how? Did some officials call up 4Kids and forbade them from dubbing these episodes? Did 4Kids dub the episodes and send them out, but then contacted all their customers and called the episode back, threatening to never deal with them again if they dared show this episode?

Or did the logical thing happen, 4Kids looking at the content of the episodes and decided to just skip over it? "Censoring all that gunplay will be more trouble than it's worth"/"This episode is centered around Jynx, and there's been too much drama related to that character, let's just skip over it"/"This is a clip show, no one cares abut those"? Because that's not anywhere near what the word "banned" means.

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    The recoloring is true.
    The misinterpretations being talked about (which isn't really on-topic, yeah. My bad) is that all these episodes that weren't dubbed into English are somehow "banned" rather than just... not dubbed.
    The Porygon episode, yeah, that's likely banned from being shown on TV anywhere, licensed out, etc, and the Japanese seem to have put somewhat of a ban on the third Pikachu short recently considering it's being kept away from everything nowadays... but the idea that someone somewhere banned things like the Dratini episode in any capacity is ridiculous. Banned how? Did some officials call up 4Kids and forbade them from dubbing these episodes? Did 4Kids dub the episodes and send them out, but then contacted all their customers and called the episode back, threatening to never deal with them again if they dared show this episode?

Or did the logical thing happen, 4Kids looking at the content of the episodes and decided to just skip over it? "Censoring all that gunplay will be more trouble than it's worth"/"This episode is centered around Jynx, and there's been too much drama related to that character, let's just skip over it"/"This is a clip show, no one cares abut those"? Because that's not anywhere near what the word "banned" means.

I guess some of those episodes aren't formally banned, but they aren't aired due to them being in 'bad taste' or because of 'questionable content'. It's really odd and it annoys me because I hate censorship in general. It's weird they didn't air that Dratini episode due to the guns, in particular, since 4Kids would end up censoring guns in other anime by turning them into water guns or laser guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Staff View Post
    I guess some of those episodes aren't formally banned, but they aren't aired due to them being in 'bad taste' or because of 'questionable content'. It's really odd and it annoys me because I hate censorship in general. It's weird they didn't air that Dratini episode due to the guns, in particular, since 4Kids would end up censoring guns in other anime by turning them into water guns or laser guns.
    It's not censorship, it's 4Kids just... skipping over it. The episode had something or other in it they didn't want to bother dealing with. The line of thought was almost definitely "This episode has too much gunplay, it's too much hassle to attempt to censor out, and Japan is constantly pumping out new episodes, it's not like we have a shortage of episodes to dub instead. Let's just skip it." If they were dealing with a 13-episode series with constant gunplay in every episode, then sure, they'd just have to spend the time and money to censor it. But when you're putting together a 52-episode season of a series you know is getting new episodes every week in Japan and shows no sign of stopping, and one of these episodes have a bunch of guns they'd have to deal with, it makes more sense to ignore the episode, and just dub the next one. There's more than enough episodes in the series, they won't run out of material to dub anyway.

I mean, people are even saying Beauty and the Beach is "banned", despite that episode being... you know, dubbed and aired. Exactly why 4Kids skipped it the first time around is a bit unclear, since they later figured that all they had to do to censor it properly would be to cut a rather short scene in the middle, but... they went back to it, dubbed and censored it, and distributed it. Sure it got distributed as some weird one-off between-season special that most licensees weren't made aware even existed for them to license, but... what exactly is supposed to be "banned" about it? It was dubbed. It was aired.

tldr; just because something isn't dubbed into English doesn't make it "banned". Do you consider those more recent Pikachu shorts neither 4Kids nor TPCi bothered with to be "banned in America" too?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123