Page 1 of 116 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: American Politics: THANKS OBAMA

Hybrid View

Default American Politics: THANKS OBAMA

Fox News Channel: Boehner Offers Millionaire Tax Hike, Fox News Confirms
    Fox News Channel: Domino’s Founder Sues Feds over Health Care Law
    Daily Star: Lebanese banks still view Syria as important market
    Asia Times Online: M.K. Bhadrakumar: Russia changes tack on Syria

As dramatic changes unfold worldwide, my mind appears to be set. President Barack Obama has a second term – to even his astonishment, if I heard correctly – and other countries across this planet are accelerating whatever timetables they had for their separate agendas in response. Unfortunately, it might only be a matter of time before some random spark turns into a larger conflagration, engulfing even the people who started it. Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood appears to have overtaken Iran as my new favorite visible group of Sharia supremacists on the planet, but thus far, I seriously doubt that they have any other options left to them, to say nothing of the Salafis. On a different note, Russia could be up for a political maelstrom of its own, one more probable consequence of modernity’s acceleration worldwide.

What changes would you like to see brought up under this administration – and Congress, such as House Speaker John Boehner – in the next four years?

What political developments are most likely to pop up to surprise this country?

Give WizardTrubbish the credit for inspiring this thread, and feel free to talk about any major trend, from the implosions throughout North Africa and the Middle East to the transition to an information society, from the energy revolution across North America to various cultural shifts – one of which I’m personally tracking and supporting as best I can – centered as they will likely be around the course of the United States of America, including its government, up until Inauguration Day 2017.
    Last edited by Profesco; 17th December 2012 at 7:07 AM.
    Babylon 5, Codename: Kids Next Door, 24, and now, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I am many things at once, and many people might have different opinions about little, old me. If freedom is my main idea, then harmony, individuality, and modernization are the three attributes I now sense and track. Those three attributes and that idea combined to make the United States of America a great global superpower and Pearlshipping and Wishfulshipping great Pokémon couples, and now, they've combined to make those four shows truly great television programs to me. I will enjoy enthusiastically supporting the Equestrian ponies' adventures for peace, for humankind, for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ccangelopearl1362 View Post

As dramatic changes unfold worldwide, my mind appears to be set. President Barack Obama has a second term – to even his astonishment, if I heard correctly – and other countries across this planet are accelerating whatever timetables they had for their separate agendas in response. Unfortunately, it might only be a matter of time before some random spark turns into a larger conflagration, engulfing even the people who started it. Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood appears to have overtaken Iran as my new favorite visible group of Sharia supremacists on the planet, but thus far, I seriously doubt that they have any other options left to them, to say nothing of the Salafis. On a different note, Russia could be up for a political maelstrom of its own, one more probable consequence of modernity’s acceleration worldwide.

What changes would you like to see brought up under this administration – and Congress, such as House Speaker John Boehner – in the next four years?

Give WizardTrubbish the credit for inspiring this thread, and feel free to talk about any major trend, from the implosions throughout North Africa and the Middle East to the transition to an information society, from the energy revolution across North America to various cultural shifts – one of which I’m personally tracking and supporting as best I can – centered as they will likely be around the course of the United States of America, including its government, up until Inauguration Day 2017.
    I admit that I voted for Romney and was shocked to see that Obama won but personally I didn't really like either candidate. I agreed with some of what Obama said and with some of what Romney said, so I basically flipped a quarter.

that being said...

The economy is the biggest issue I am interested in. I am curious to see what happens with the fiscal cliff and then what happens after that.

Education is next. I believe I remember hearing something where Obama mentioned that he wanted to help college students in school and the ones leaving to find good jobs. This is interesting to me since the student loan percentage rate doubled recently.

B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229

I wasn't suprised that Obama had won, I watched polls closely for the last month till the ellection.

Eitherway I hope that that Obama and the house republicans can find a way to avoid the fiscal cliff.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

Give WizardTrubbish the credit for inspiring this thread
    This WizardTrubbish guy sounds amazing.

Anyway, I supported Obama in November. I don't think he's the greatest president we've ever had, and he may have his flaws, but I definitely prefer him over Romney.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...f_newtown.html
    http://www.nextgov.com/emerging-tech...se-site/60197/
    So it appears Obama's going to try for new gun control laws, according to his press secretary Jay Carney. Even several pro- Gun rights Senators and Congressmen such as Joe Manchin seem to be open to discussion on restricting gun access. Additionally, there seems to be a growing number of public support for stricter gun control, as a petition for stronger gun control sent to the White House's official site got more signatures than any other petition on that site.
    Last edited by YourFavoriteUser; 17th December 2012 at 11:47 PM.
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

Did you just seriously link Faux News?

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoCoke View Post
    Did you just seriously link Faux News?
    If we can't use Fox news, than you can't use your news network of choice. Which I am assuming is CNN or some other left wing source.

and marioguy, I doubt it. he has more important things to worry about than spitting in the face of a religion, he already does that enough anyways. I'd rather him concentrate on the economy and things that actually matter
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 18th December 2012 at 1:37 AM.

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    If we can't use Fox news, than you can't use your news network of choice. Which I am assuming is CNN or some other left wing source.

and marioguy, I doubt it. he has more important things to worry about than spitting in the face of a religion, he already does that enough anyways. I'd rather him concentrate on the economy and things that actually matter
    Examples?

Anyway, I support Obama. Seeing Romney's comments about why he lost make me feel like I made the right choice. That man hasn't learned a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    Examples?

Anyway, I support Obama. Seeing Romney's comments about why he lost make me feel like I made the right choice. That man hasn't learned a thing.
    Openly supporting homosexuality for one. I really don't want to get into another argument about this though, so I apologize for even bringing it up. I have already stated my thoughts on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    Openly supporting homosexuality for one. I really don't want to get into another argument about this though, so I apologize for even bringing it up. I have already stated my thoughts on the subject.
    Since you don't want to get into another argument about it, what about another option?
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I heard that Obama is going to rename Christmas to Santa Day.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

Obama would be making a mistake if he were not to address guns during this administration. There are just some issues during your administration that occur in which you have no choice but to address.
    I would love to see the issues of cyber security and information security addressed through his administration, since his campaign and subsequent presidency saw an absolute explosion of the way technology is used in communication and everyday life. Especially since the Cyber Security Act recently failed in Congress.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

I don't care, I'll get into it.
    Conservatives just have no clue what they want. So they don't want the government to touch their money, their guns or their health insurance, yet when it comes to allowing two HUMAN BEINGS to marry OR when it comes to what a woman decides to do with her body, they are all for government involvement, claiming a higher moral ground as their justification for this viewpoint.
    On my facebook tonight, I saw a poster of Timothy McVeigh as a justification of allowing you to still bear arms, because he killed people without a gun. So a terrorist is your poster child for anti-gun control movement huh?

The separation of church and state is why we don't have a national religion, yet there are amendments posted on court houses, our money is printed with In God We Trust, we (or we used to when I was in school) pledge allegiance to one nation under god, we have congressional amendments and bills introduced which are based in religion/religious views, we have corporate churches allowed to act as individuals and contribute to political campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Elliot View Post
    The separation of church and state is why we don't have a national religion, yet there are amendments posted on court houses, our money is printed with In God We Trust, we (or we used to when I was in school) pledge allegiance to one nation under god, we have congressional amendments and bills introduced which are based in religion/religious views, we have corporate churches allowed to act as individuals and contribute to political campaigns.
    This is because people are still stuck in the 'OMFG stop the spread of "godless communism"!!!!!' People still use what you mentioned to justify their backward chaotic views, and it's unbelievably stupid(no offense, but seriously).

It's stuff like this which makes many atheists/agnostics dislike America.

Obama should really make an attempt to do something about this loud idiotic minority in America. It would really help to unify the nation a bit more so actual actions can be taken to fix the economy, education, etc.
    Last edited by irock245; 16th February 2013 at 11:51 PM.
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

Quote Originally Posted by irock245 View Post
    Obama should really make an attempt to do something about this loud idiotic minority in America. It would really help to unify the nation a bit more so actual actions can be taken to fix the economy, education, etc.
    What are you suggesting here exactly? If you are hoping that Obama will directly attack religion, then I would support it. It would get Obama impeached and out of office faster.
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 17th February 2013 at 2:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Elliot
    we (or we used to when I was in school) pledge allegiance to one nation under god
    Just curious for a moment, is there anyone here whose school does not pledge allegiance to "one nation, under God"?

At my school (in Pennsylvania), that's what we do. You're not required to say the pledge, however you have to put your right hand over your heart and stand, if you're able to. And it seems like that's what every school for miles around does. I've actually never personally heard of a school where this wasn't the case, so I'm curious to see what other people do.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoopes View Post
    Just curious for a moment, is there anyone here whose school does not pledge allegiance to "one nation, under God"?

At my school (in Pennsylvania), that's what we do. You're not required to say the pledge, however you have to put your right hand over your heart and stand, if you're able to. And it seems like that's what every school for miles around does. I've actually never personally heard of a school where this wasn't the case, so I'm curious to see what other people do.
    I have never heard a case where the Pledge of Allegiance, as it exists, excludes "under God." I've heard about complaints about it, but it's also just as easy to not say it. By a young age, I didn't say it at all, because I consider it a cheesy symbolic gesture.

The usual links

Honestly I would like nothing more than a complete restructure on how we vote for laws.a much more fair spread of the nations wealth.money being spent on something more useful and fundamental than our huge military which does nothing but burden the economy further.maybe a little public renovation.you know.spend money to help lives rather than bomb foreigners sounds like a decent idea to me.of course they find it more productive to spend money rather than save it.plus the candidates are a joke.they both basically do the same thing with minor differences.i would sign up to vote but there would be no point.its the same guy just a different color.
    Black 2 FC:5330-1649-5739

Whatever. I think I am done on the debate forum. Tired of being scoffed at for my "medieval beliefs"

The Pledge has existed since 1892, it was not until 1942 that it was formally adopted as our pledge and it was not until 1954 that the phrase
    "Under God" was used with the pledge.

Also true. Maybe I wasn't clear. To restate, though, I can't say I've heard a version outside the "under God" variant used in my lifetime, but I've heard complaints about it. I think the earliest one in recent memory dates back to around 2004?

The usual links

Without any research at all but from pure memory, wasn't it more from the fact that there was no way you could opt out from engaging in the pledge rather than the usage of the actual phrase itself?

When I say opt out, I mean as a child you were required to stand up every morning and recite it with your classmates, or else you had the potential to get in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Elliot View Post
    Without any research at all but from pure memory, wasn't it more from the fact that there was no way you could opt out from engaging in the pledge rather than the usage of the actual phrase itself?

When I say opt out, I mean as a child you were required to stand up every morning and recite it with your classmates, or else you had the potential to get in trouble.
    I believe you can get out of it by merely staying seated on religious liberty grounds. The reason I say that is the Jehovah's Witnesses are required by religion not to pledge allegiance to anything
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

We used the under god version when I was in school and everyone was required to stand up during the pledge. Though I also went to a catholic grade school and high school so my opinion is skewed.

B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229

Special treatment… in reverse? After everything I mentioned in both that earlier thread and Silver Soul’s “Islamophobia and McCarthyism” thread – especially David Goldman’s warning(s) – one might think it safe to assume that I’m far beyond the point of pondering various clashes of cultures worldwide, including attacks against Judeo-Christianity, whether it’s of the kind prevalent in North America, Europe, Africa, or Asia. America’s defense of globalization and modernity should be able to set the stage for the prosperity of these diverse groupings.:

YouTube: The Agenda with Steve Paikin: Christianity Goes Global
    Pew Research Center: Phillip Connor: Faith on the Move: The Religious Affiliation of International Migrants

Canadian journalist Steve Paikin’s team invited four religious experts to discuss a shift in global Christian statistics from the so-called “Global North” to the “Global South”, as reported by the Pew Research Center at about this time last year.:

• 82.2% of Christians in north plus Australia vs. 17.8% in south as of 1910
    • 39.2% of Christians in north plus Australia vs. 60.8% in south as of 2010
    • Ethno-religious faiths most common in Africa in 1910, but almost completely gone by 2010, replaced by Christianity and Islam

Anglican Bishop Patrick Yu cited continuity from the original missionaries’ job, including proclamation and discipleship, changes to unjust societies, and care for the environment, while Conrad Grebel University College professor James Pankratz pointed to adaptations to more local forms of cultural expressions, such as music and social services, with the effect of making the overall church more dynamic. Perhaps most interestingly, University of Toronto anthropologist Kevin O’Neill pointed to democratization and free-market capitalism as factors meshing well with these diverse forms of Christianity, going on to question the divisions used as a matter of comparison and contrast. While Christianity can thrive in difficult environments, as Jarvis Street Baptist Church senior pastor Glendon Thompson suggested, it also ennobles the individual, offering a message of hope against any level of despair, which could very well appeal to more marginalized people. Even during colonial periods, Christian missionaries provided hospitals to take care of sickened people, so they’ve logically done well there. For Pew’s part, it tracked similar patterns of movement for migrants worldwide. The United States was the top destination cited for Christians and Buddhists alike, at 31,880,000 and 1,730,000, while the top destination for Muslim migrants is… Saddle, er, Saudi Arabia, at 5,620,000. Mexico, India, Russia, China, and Bangladesh are the countries with the highest numbers of originating migrants. Other statistics could be informative on their own.:

• 2,880,000 Muslim migrants originating from Turkey, 2,850,000 from Morocco, and 2,600,000 from Egypt
    • 4,030,000 Muslim migrants heading to Russia, 3,230,000 to Germany, and 2,090,000 to the United Arab Emirates
    • 1,340,000 Buddhist migrants originating from Vietnam, 840,000 from Thailand, and 250,000 from Cambodia
    • 1,730,000 Buddhist migrants heading to America, 340,000 to Australia, and 290,000 to Canada

As these migrations continue, religious liberty looks likely to surface more and more often, but of course, we’re assuming that some of the countries situated along especially volatile, read bloody, civilizational fault lines won’t just spiral out of control in the coming years and decades. As I see it, at least one is unstable enough to do so already.:

Freedom House: Jo-Anne Prud’homme: Policing Belief: The Impact of Blasphemy Laws on Human Rights
    Christian Post: Alex Murashko: Coptic Christians Asking Free World to Cut Ties with Egypt under Morsi

The blasphemy law in Egypt has a provision calling for steps to build a case by a Muslim against another Muslim for perceived Sharia violations, resulting in apostasy charges – and subsequent discrimination from the broader society. Naturally enough, global human rights standards don’t mix with this law, and since there are no safeguards against abuse, people with political or even personal vendettas have used it for their own purposes, such as a case in which two Middle East Christian Association activists were detained in August 2007 while defending Coptic Christians. With the Muslim Brotherhood now racing through Egypt’s institutions, other Coptic groups, such as Voice of the Copts, are alarmed, rallying Copts worldwide. One wonders whether any differences were in effect across Egypt as its military commanders, the Muslim Brotherhood, and the Salafis work to preserve their visions of an idealized Egypt, completely locking out Copts, but also other religious groups, in the process, persuading them to join the broader migration process. Attacks from various Sharia terror groups, such as Al-Qaeda or Lashkar-e-Taiba, could likely follow, necessitating intervention from various parts of the world. Fortunately, as an information society pops up, an unusual source could reflect globalization’s best traits.:

BusinessWeek: Caroline Winter: How the Mormons Make Money

The Mormons have a holding company through which they can manage their investments, and their business interests are diverse, such as 11 radio stations, a digital media company, an insurance business worth $3.3 million so far, and real estate firms for malls, parking lots, and residential buildings, among other areas. They’ve copied more secular businesses in running the companies they’ve set up, but overall, their church leadership has the final say on any major transactions. Thus, Mormon values and profits are intertwined, and after former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney’s prominence throughout this past presidential election, curiosity about Mormonism’s approach to financial and fiscal matters could increase. It might be all that President Barack Obama can do for the next four years, giving us political junkies some new views to digest.
    Babylon 5, Codename: Kids Next Door, 24, and now, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I am many things at once, and many people might have different opinions about little, old me. If freedom is my main idea, then harmony, individuality, and modernization are the three attributes I now sense and track. Those three attributes and that idea combined to make the United States of America a great global superpower and Pearlshipping and Wishfulshipping great Pokémon couples, and now, they've combined to make those four shows truly great television programs to me. I will enjoy enthusiastically supporting the Equestrian ponies' adventures for peace, for humankind, for the future.

Page 1 of 116 123451151101 ... LastLast