Page 8 of 140 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: American Politics: THANKS OBAMA

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    Except there was no attempt to suppress minority voters, the past two elections in which such verification has been in place has shown massive Black Turnout. But even then such a thing is not a act of intolerance and does not address how poorly Black Republicans have been treated by Liberals.
    Oh don't play dumb. Then explain the deny of early voting hours in Ohio by the Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted, Texas's attempts of inconvenient voting changes that were denied by court, Rick Scott's cutting the early voting hours before he flip-flopped on that recently, and this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOT1bRYdK8

Heck, even Florida Republicans admit they intended to target Democrat votes.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...er-play/nTFDy/

Wayne Bertsch, who handles local and legislative races for Republicans, said he knew targeting Democrats was the goal.

“In the races I was involved in in 2008, when we started seeing the increase of turnout and the turnout operations that the Democrats were doing in early voting, it certainly sent a chill down our spines. And in 2008, it didn’t have the impact that we were afraid of. It got close, but it wasn’t the impact that they had this election cycle,” Bertsch said, referring to the fact that Democrats picked up seven legislative seats in Florida in 2012 despite the early voting limitations.
    Another GOP consultant, who did not want to be named, also confirmed that influential consultants to the Republican Party of Florida were intent on beating back Democratic turnout in early voting after 2008.
    But a GOP consultant who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retribution said black voters were a concern.

“I know that the cutting out of the Sunday before Election Day was one of their targets only because that’s a big day when the black churches organize themselves,” he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    Oh don't play dumb. Then explain the deny of early voting hours in Ohio by the Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted, Texas's attempts of inconvenient voting changes that were denied by court, Rick Scott's cutting the early voting hours before he flip-flopped on that recently, and this...

Ironic that you failed to mention the fact that many of our armed forces overseas also couldn't get their votes to be counted in this election.

Much like the racism issue, it must only apply if the people accused of it aren't Democrats, huh?
    Last edited by SBaby; 19th January 2013 at 7:51 AM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Ironic that you failed to mention the fact that many of our armed forces overseas also couldn't get their votes to be counted in this election.

Much like the racism issue, it must only apply if the people accused of it aren't Democrats, huh?
    Don't talk bad about the democrats around this guy. They are his white knights who can do no wrong.

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post

http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/military.asp

In my opinion, the accusation only applies if it's actually, you know, true.
    Last edited by YourFavoriteUser; 19th January 2013 at 4:14 PM.
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

When did Democrats become minority voters? Seriously if you want to get into dirty tactics there is enough for both sides.
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    Don't talk bad about the democrats around this guy. They are his white knights who can do no wrong.
    Same with you and rightwingers..

When did Democrats become minority voters? Seriously if you want to get into dirty tactics there is enough for both sides.
    Obama won the votes from most minority groups.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

Quote Originally Posted by 7 tyranitars View Post
    Obama won the votes from most minority groups.
    Yes but trying to beat Democratic voter turn out as a whole is not a action of intolerance, it is pure political gamesmanship that both sides do.
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

As President Barack Hussein Obama’s second inauguration transpires, I’m left to chuckle grimly at the scenarios I remember devising as prospective reactions by either the Muslim Brotherhood or Russia to commemorate the occasion. The former has ended up having to jostle with the Salafis and the United Arab Emirates because they’re pretty much the main Islamic factions left after Turkey and Iran’s separate cultural suicides. It might only be a matter of time before the upheavals inch into the other Sharia sheikhdoms, so they will likely need as many resources as they can gather to stay ahead. Even now, instability remains in the biggest country along the Sunni-Shiite fault line.:

Oilprice.com: John Daly: So Much for Desert Storm – Kuwait and Iraq Collaborate on Energy
    Reuters: Iraq protester sets himself ablaze in anti-government rally

22 years ago, Saddam Hussein’s military units rolled into Kuwait, and in response, the United States and other countries mobilized en masse. The Kurds, Sunnis, and Shiites inside Iraq will be fortunate if Iraq’s President Jalal Talabani and Kuwait’s Emir Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah hold forth on this new deal to explore for oil in southern Iraq. It would appear that tensions between Iraq and Turkey led to the expulsion of the Turkish energy company originally slated to start this project, and this new self-immolation probably won’t help. It happened in Mosul during a round of protests by around 2,000 people, replicating Mohammed Bouazizi’s famous self-immolation in Tunisia a little over two years ago, thereby sparking the current upheavals. If any groups could attempt to incite more hostile Sunnis against the rest of the Shiite population, then by now, I’d place my bets on those Al-Qaeda operatives in Syria. Their brethren in North Africa might be poised to drive everyone else out around them, whether they’re standing in solidarity with each other or increasingly fighting over whatever grudges they’ve nurtured, so that as of this moment, gruesomely slow massacres could churn and creep over North Africa.:

New York Times: Jihadists’ Surge in North Africa Reveals Grim Side of Arab Spring
    Washington Post WorldViews: Olga Khazan: Mali is about to have a refugee crisis

The area in question has been breaking down, and weapons dealers, drug cartels, and jihadists alike have waltzed in. Mokhtar Belmokhtar, the man behind that Amenas hostage crisis, has struck mainly at “targets of opportunity”, and with Muammar Gaddafi dead, every ethnic mercenary scattered across southern Libya has ended up scampering outward. They may be proclaiming that they’ll be willing and able to attack America and its allies, but at least for now, they’ve settled on building up their cash reserves through such things as smuggling. Of the people most vulnerable to these attacks, some have already sought to escape the imposition of Sharia, with 54,000 heading into Mauritania, about 39,000 into Burkina Faso, and 1,500 in Algeria. None of those countries are especially stable themselves, and the World Food Program suspended its program to distribute food because there wasn’t enough security. I could call Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb a group of thieves, but at this point, I figure that such a comparison insults thieves. The cartels southwest of my home state might not fare much better.:

Houston Chronicle: Zetas gang poses daunting threat to Mexico’s shale gas output
    American Petroleum Institute: Bill Bush: IHS projects large future state benefits from shale revolution

The Zetas have their eyes trained on a few basins of shale gas near the Rio Grande, but already, some internal warfare, so to speak, has officials worried about greater bloodshed still. Two top bosses of the gang are attempting to fend off an upcoming challenge from a former underling, and Nuevo Laredo has been seeing banner after banner promising death to any who transgress against either faction involved. The shale basin on our side of the river has had more permits for drilling operations, presumably reinforcing revenue in the Lone Star State. The numbers look interesting.:

• Arkansas: $3.82 billion in total added value in 2012 vs. $6.88 billion in 2035; $109 million in 2012 corporate taxes vs. $193 million in 2035 corporate taxes
    • Iowa: $853 million in total added value in 2012 vs. $1.8 billion in 2035; $21 million in 2012 corporate taxes vs. $41 million in 2035 corporate taxes
    • North Dakota: $6.81 billion in total added value in 2012 vs. $6.6 billion in 2013; $193 million in 2012 corporate taxes vs. $105 million in 2035 corporate taxes
    • Texas: $101.6 billion in total added value in 2012 vs. $125.7 billion in 2035; $3.18 billion in 2012 corporate taxes vs. $3.88 billion in 2035 corporate taxes
    • Utah: $54.4 billion in total added value in 2012 vs. $67.05 billion in 2035; $158 million in 2012 corporate taxes vs. $291 million in 2035 corporate taxes

The sense that unconventional energy could start flowing across North America could have supporters of a certain pipeline readying their reports and awaiting decisions to implement the thing, and Russia looks set to be among the big losers. It may be all that Central Asia’s countries can do to attempt to build up their own markets.:

Jamestown Foundation: Richard Weitz: President Nazarbayev Announces Ambitious National Goals in Coming Decades
    Jamestown Foundation: Pavel Baev: Militarism is a Poor Fit for Putin’s ‘Patriotic’ Kleptocracy

Kazakhstan wants to give foreign investors a chance to put their money in it, encourage the growth of small and medium businesses, develop its agriculture, and secure its water supplies. One might be inclined to give President Nursultan Nazarbayev some credit for declaring that he will do what he can to push back against any outside intrusions into his country’s traditions, presumably out of, say, Egypt or the Arabian Peninsula. Kazakh media outlets at a conference about Nazarbayev’s strategy welcomed it, and the country could be that much more advanced in becoming more visible on world maps, anyway, which can’t be much help to its bigger northern neighbor. There, President Vladimir Putin is facing an apparent loss of credibility with Gazprom over disputes in the European energy market, so he’s falling back to military preparation. A ballistic missile submarine was accepted into the Russian Navy several days ago… with some weaknesses still at work. The military commanders responsible for monitoring these submarines have yet to inform Putin of the flaws they spotted. Discontent is spreading inside Russia’s cities, and Russia’s military elite are left to use his militaristic rhetoric to mask their assets. I can only guess how slowly they’d mobilize if certain existential threats started rippling across Eurasia.:

New York Times: China Criticizes Clinton’s Remarks about Dispute with Japan over Islands
    Irrawaddy: Lawi Weng: State Should Take Over Military Companies, Lawmaker Says

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, now preparing to step down from her position, opposes “any unilateral actions that would seek to undermine Japanese administration” of the Senkaku Islands, in a situation in which Chinese and Japanese fighter planes have both scrambled toward that island chain. Any Burmese military commanders more loyal to President Thein Sein might have to watch closely since the companies that signed contracts to manufacture their equipment could have additional skirmishes with China on the horizon, presumably among any new rebellions. Those military businesses have conducted land grabs and ended up destroying the land in question, making takeovers authorized by the new government, hopefully Thein Sein himself, necessary. As the pivot to East Asia moves forward, the countries in that region might not need to wait much longer to see how the United States’ presidential aspirations unfold.
    Last edited by ccangelopearl1362; 21st January 2013 at 6:46 PM.
    Babylon 5, Codename: Kids Next Door, 24, and now, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I am many things at once, and many people might have different opinions about little, old me. If freedom is my main idea, then harmony, individuality, and modernization are the three attributes I now sense and track. Those three attributes and that idea combined to make the United States of America a great global superpower and Pearlshipping and Wishfulshipping great Pokémon couples, and now, they've combined to make those four shows truly great television programs to me. I will enjoy enthusiastically supporting the Equestrian ponies' adventures for peace, for humankind, for the future.

Yes but trying to beat Democratic voter turn out as a whole is not a action of intolerance, it is pure political gamesmanship that both sides do.
    They are trying to implement voter ID a few months before the election. And minority groups tend to not have that. Now don't get me wrong, I think it is a good idea voters have some needs of IDing themselves. But people should have a sufficient ammound of time to get it.

Secondly democratic voters tend to use the "early voting" more if they restrict that it is an indirect attackon the democratic voters base.

They are trying to implement voter ID a few months before the election. And minority groups tend to not have that. Now don't get me wrong, I think it is a good idea voters have some needs of IDing themselves. But people should have a sufficient ammound of time to get it.
    Yet even in states like Georgia in 2008 when Voter ID was implemented the amount of minority voters voting was record breaking, so it seems that such a thing does not directly impact minority voters.

Secondly democratic voters tend to use the "early voting" more if they restrict that it is an indirect attackon the democratic voters base.
    Again Political Gamesmanship for Democratic or Republican voters =/= intolerance toward minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by WizardTrubbish View Post
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/military.asp

In my opinion, the accusation only applies if it's actually, you know, true.
    I'm gonna be brief here, because I want to get into the voter ID issue. There were still countless votes that weren't counted. I have a cousin that's overseas that says his vote was returned to him with a 'Return to Sender' stamp on it. He told me that they claimed it was due to 'logistical complications' and that they were returned for 'security reasons'. I trust him more than I trust any random website on the issue. And if that happened to the people on his ship, I guarantee it happened to other members of our armed forces.

Bear in mind that making a law and enforcing it are two different things. For instance, we don't card everyone, even though there are currently countless laws applying to almost every major industry REQUIRING us to check IDs for various things.

So my question here is, why does voting somehow get a special exception to this, especially since you already have to be 18 or over to vote anyway? How do they know you're not just 17 and pretending to be 18, if they don't or can't check your ID?
    Last edited by SBaby; 22nd January 2013 at 8:44 PM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Lets look at some of the things Democrats did when it comes to disenfranchising Military voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox News
    The MOVE Act, enacted last October, ensures that servicemen and women serving overseas have ample time to get in their absentee ballots. The result of the DOJ’s alleged inaction in enforcing the act, say Eric Eversole and J. Christian Adams — both former litigation attorneys for the DOJ’s Voting Section — could be that thousands of soldiers’ ballots will arrive too late to be counted.

“It is an absolute shame that the section appears to be spending more time finding ways to avoid the MOVE Act, rather than finding ways to ensure that military voters will have their votes counted,” said Eversole, director of the Military Voter Protection Project, a new organization devoted to ensuring military voting rights. “The Voting Section seems to have forgotten that it has an obligation to enforce federal law, not to find and raise arguments for states to avoid these laws.”
    http://hotair.com/archives/2010/07/2...s-of-military/

Quote Originally Posted by Breitbart
    In 2008, for example, the State of Virginia (a critical swing state in 2012) had failed to send absentee ballots to members of the military on active duty in time for them to complete the ballots and return them before the election. When the campaign of Republican nominee Sen. John McCain sued to compel the state to count military ballots that had arrived after election day, the State Board of Elections--then run by Democrats, appointed by a Democratic governor--argued, effectively, that it could send absentee ballots to the military a day before the election and still be in compliance with the law. As RedState's Soren Dayton put it:

...the Democratic Chairwoman of the Virginia State Board of Election (appointed by the Democratic National Committee Chair Tim Kaine, in his capacity as Virginia Governor) Jean Cunningham just claimed a legal basis for massively raising the barrier to voting for soldiers at war.

The Department of Justice (then still run by fair-minded appointees of George W. Bush, and not yet part of the Democrats' voter-fraud-and-intimidation-machine) replaced the McCain campaign, which faced problems of legal standing, as plaintiff in the lawsuit. Eventually, the federal court ruled that Virginia had indeed violated federal law--but that the number of missing votes would not have changed the outcome of the election.
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...the-First-Time

Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph
    THE painfully slow manual recount of Florida ballot papers took its most acrimonious turn yesterday when Republicans accused the Gore campaign of deliberately excluding servicemen's postal votes to fix the election.

Governor George W Bush comfortably won the overseas absentee vote by 1,380 votes to Vice-President Al Gore's 750 but, after vigorous challenges by Gore canvassers, 1,527 of the postal ballots, many of them from soldiers and sailors on active service, were rejected.

With the two candidates just 930 votes apart, every ballot paper counts and is being intensely fought over by Democratic and Republican party officials.

Gen Norman Schwarzkopf, the Gulf war commander who now lives in Florida, led Republican condemnation of a five-page guide which advised Democratic tellers how to raise objections to the postal votes.

He said: "It is a very sad day in our country when the men and women of the armed forces are serving abroad and facing danger of a daily basis . . . and are denied the right to vote for the president of the United States who will be their commander in chief."

Democratic tellers were advised to block ballots if there was no clearly legible postmark on the envelope, which is frequently the case when letters are posted from military bases. Normally, these ballots pass unchallenged.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ary-votes.html

Yet even in states like Georgia in 2008 when Voter ID was implemented the amount of minority voters voting was record breaking, so it seems that such a thing does not directly impact minority voters.
    Like I said the Implemention isn't bad at itself. But people should be given sufficient time to acquire a way of IDing themselves. Considering if a big group of people try to get a way of ID-ing there will be quite a waiting list.

Again Political Gamesmanship for Democratic or Republican voters =/= intolerance toward minorities.
    Never said it was intolerance towards minorities.

Like I said the Implemention isn't bad at itself. But people should be given sufficient time to acquire a way of IDing themselves. Considering if a big group of people try to get a way of ID-ing there will be quite a waiting list.
    Which is why there is a set amount of time that election law can be changed before a election

Never said it was intolerance towards minorities.
    I know but that is where this whole discussion stemmed from.

So, Karl Rove's Crossroads GPS ran an ad that slammed Obama for his inaugural speech due to the President being... a LIBERAL. *dun dun DUNNNN*

Mitch McConnell also said that the era of liberalism is back.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2528485.html

Geez, they say liberal like it is a bad thing.

So, Karl Rove's Crossroads GPS ran an ad that slammed Obama for his inaugural speech due to the President being... a LIBERAL. *dun dun DUNNNN*

Mitch McConnell also said that the era of liberalism is back.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2528485.html

In terms of actually getting anything he wants accomplished, it is.

Obama's a liberal?
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

Must be from some of the highlights of the President's inaugural speech:

We, the people, still believe that every citizen deserves a basic measure of security and dignity. We must make the hard choices to reduce the cost of health care and the size of our deficit. But we reject the belief that America must choose between caring for the generation that built this country and investing in the generation that will build its future. For we remember the lessons of our past, when twilight years were spent in poverty, and parents of a child with a disability had nowhere to turn. We do not believe that in this country, freedom is reserved for the lucky, or happiness for the few. We recognize that no matter how responsibly we live our lives, any one of us, at any time, may face a job loss, or a sudden illness, or a home swept away in a terrible storm. The commitments we make to each other - through Medicare, and Medicaid, and Social Security - these things do not sap our initiative; they strengthen us. They do not make us a nation of takers; they free us to take the risks that make this country great.
    We, the people, still believe that our obligations as Americans are not just to ourselves, but to all posterity. We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations. Some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging fires, and crippling drought, and more powerful storms. The path towards sustainable energy sources will be long and sometimes difficult. But America cannot resist this transition; we must lead it. We cannot cede to other nations the technology that will power new jobs and new industries - we must claim its promise. That is how we will maintain our economic vitality and our national treasure - our forests and waterways; our croplands and snowcapped peaks. That is how we will preserve our planet, commanded to our care by God. That's what will lend meaning to the creed our fathers once declared.
    We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths - that all of us are created equal - is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall; just as it guided all those men and women, sung and unsung, who left footprints along this great Mall, to hear a preacher say that we cannot walk alone; to hear a King proclaim that our individual freedom is inextricably bound to the freedom of every soul on Earth.
    It is now our generation's task to carry on what those pioneers began. For our journey is not complete until our wives, our mothers, and daughters can earn a living equal to their efforts. Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law - for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well. Our journey is not complete until no citizen is forced to wait for hours to exercise the right to vote. Our journey is not complete until we find a better way to welcome the striving, hopeful immigrants who still see America as a land of opportunity; until bright young students and engineers are enlisted in our workforce rather than expelled from our country. Our journey is not complete until all our children, from the streets of Detroit to the hills of Appalachia to the quiet lanes of Newtown, know that they are cared for, and cherished, and always safe from harm.

Ahh the sweet smell of strawmen burning, don't you love it.

It can only be beaten by the sound of red state Democrats running for cover.

Ahh the sweet smell of strawmen burning, don't you love it.

It can only be beaten by the sound of red state Democrats running for cover.
    Oh sorry, I can hear bitterness from the sore losing party.

Because liberalism is not liberalism any more.

Quote Originally Posted by WizardTrubbish View Post
    Obama's a liberal?
    No. He's actually the opposite. However, we live in a strange world these days. If you want government to control almost every aspect of your life and live beyond its means, you're are apparently a liberal.

I'd love to know what about Obama is "liberal".

Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Because liberalism is not liberalism any more.
    Then by that logic, conservatism isn't conservatism any more.

Oh sorry, I can hear bitterness from the sore losing party.
    Better listen harder

http://www.nationaljournal.com/colum...f-one-20130123

Obama needs red state democrats to hold onto the Senate. You can have one either Harry Reid and Democrats in power in the Senate, or you can have a prolonged protracted and ultimately a losing fight on a liberal agenda, not both.

Better listen harder

http://www.nationaljournal.com/colum...f-one-20130123

Obama needs red state democrats to hold onto the Senate. You can have one either Harry Reid and Democrats in power in the Senate, or you can have a prolonged protracted and ultimately a losing fight on a liberal agenda, not both.
    And of course, the sore losers will do anything to try to keep the House seats by gerrymandering or to win the Presidency by oh I don't know.... dividing electoral college votes!

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/poli...onally_8175733

And of course, the sore losers will do anything to try to keep the House seats by gerrymandering or to win the Presidency by oh I don't know.... dividing electoral college votes!

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/poli...onally_8175733
    Yes because of course Democrats do not do their own dirty tricks.

But please ignore what I said in the whole bit about Obama having no chance to pass his agenda. It just shows you have no argument for it.

Page 8 of 140 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast