Thread: Canadian Politics: Let's take another crack at this

Default Canadian Politics: Let's take another crack at this

Rob Ford has been stripped of his powers as Mayor by Toronto's city council.
    The Liberal Party of Canada is in a solid position to pick up a seat in Nov. 25's by-elections, though the NDP is still in striking distance of one they currently hold.
    The Conservatives' "Canada Job Grant" is under fire by all 14 Premiers.
    And Alberta's government has reversed part of its cuts to post-secondary education from March's budget.

All the while, Trudeau's Liberals continue to lead both major opposition parties in the polls while the Conservatives continue to take hits regarding the Prime Minister's Office's level of involvement in the ongoing Senate scandal.

There's no election for another two Octobers, but Canadian politics still promises to throw us a number of curveballs while we wait. Will the Supreme Court interpret the Constitution Act in such a way that it provides the Tories with a roadmap to reform, or even abolition, of the Senate without the provinces? Will Harper continue to see his polling numbers fall to Mulcair and the honourable member from Papineau's respective benefits? Will a truncated version of the Keystone XL pipeline ever actually see completion? Will the Rob Ford scandal get any more hilarious?

What developments do you see coming to pass in the Great White North?

(Feel free to discuss anything major, and even a few minor things, centered around Canada in this thread. As long as you're in the Rhinoceros Party.)
    last.fm
    facebook

OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

>Canadian Politics: Let's take another crack at this

get the **** out

You know, it really annoys me that this is a thing. He has been stripped of his powers as mayor, but they can't kick him out. He's dead weight. This just kind of... bugs me. Surely they can get someone else to do his job for him, but it still seems really stupid. Is there some reason why this seemed like a good idea?

That's about all I can really add to this, though, but it bugs me every time I see something about Rob Ford. Which, of course, is often.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

They don't have any legal way to remove Ford from office until next October; this is the best possible option in the interim.
    last.fm
    facebook

If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

Don't forget about the Quebec Charter of Values, through which the Parti Quebecois wants to prevent state employees from wearing any religious symbols on the job. Many are theorizing that their end-goal is to drive minorities from Quebec so the PQ can hold (and win) another referendum to separate from Canada so Quebec can be its own country.

Interestingly, more Francophones (people whose first language is French) support the law than Anglophones (people whose native tongue is English). In a recent survey, Francophones were more likely to see immigrants as a threat, which would explain the support.

So far I haven't seen any really great arguments for the Charter. For instance, even the feminist argument that religious clothing on women subjugates them, and banning this clothing will empower them, is fundamentally flawed because feminism is about a woman's right to make her own decisions. Taking away one of those rights "for her own good" is anything but empowering, and can severely limit someone's options.

I am somewhat biased on the matter (if that wasn't clear lol), and while this likely won't get passed, it's still pretty ridiculous that it's even a thing. Maybe it's just an attempt at a distraction by the PQ, who knows? *le shrug*

~Psychic
    Ever wanted to attend a Pokémon convention?
    Check out Pokéthon, a new sub-event at Otakuthon in Montreal, Canada this August!

Like us on Facebook for news and updates!

Ah yes that bumbling fool Rob Ford, i remember when the rumors first surfaced, from just telling by the photo's & audio tape before he came out to admit about the crack-cocaine intake, i knew it was inevitably gonna happen for him to come out to the public.

For some reason, i just could tell he took the stuff from those leaked photos.

As for replacing the bum, i hope the Lib's reign over next election cycle in Toronto.
    Pride is Unnecessary; Humble is bold
    3DS Friend Code: 1934-0895-1544 PM me if you add; Friend Safari (XL) Fire - Charmeleon/Fletchinder/Growlithe

i know i shouldn't feel this way but i laughed hysterically at his ignorance. (and yes i shouldn't feel this way cause its also very very sad) still when you watch any of the comedy central shows that make fun of politics......

Quote Originally Posted by Zimu View Post
    i know i shouldn't feel this way but i laughed hysterically at his ignorance. (and yes i shouldn't feel this way cause its also very very sad) still when you watch any of the comedy central shows that make fun of politics......
    Ah yes, Dailyshow with Jon Stewart, gotta love that man. But yeah, you and everyone gotta love the sheer ignorance and buffoonery of Rob Ford.
    Pride is Unnecessary; Humble is bold
    3DS Friend Code: 1934-0895-1544 PM me if you add; Friend Safari (XL) Fire - Charmeleon/Fletchinder/Growlithe

Speaking of the next Toronto election cycle...

Ipsos-Reid has jumped into the municipal fray, helpfully providing us with a different look at what Torontonians are thinking about their mayor and who they might want as their next mayor. The results are not good for Rob Ford, as the poll suggests that, no matter who else is on the ballot, he will lose.

The poll also shows that Ford has a high degree of notoriety, as well as now being notorious. This should come as no surprise, considering he has been plastered across the front pages and the news bulletins, and he has been mayor since 2010. But the Ipsos-Reid poll took a look at just how familiar Torontonians are with some other potential and declared candidates for next year's mayoral race, and it hints at who the likely frontrunners will be.
    Karen Stintz is already definitely running, John Tory might declare, and Olivia Chow might also declare - and all three easily beat Ford in that poll.
    last.fm
    facebook

As a general note, let's please remember that we're in the debate forum, so the aim of this topic is to have a conversation about Canadian politics. That means posts should go beyond "yeah I watched a comedy bit about Rob Ford and I think he's an idiot" and have something insightful, interesting, or at least original to bring to the table. Thanks,

~Psychic
    Ever wanted to attend a Pokémon convention?
    Check out Pokéthon, a new sub-event at Otakuthon in Montreal, Canada this August!

Like us on Facebook for news and updates!

Swinging over to provincial politics for a moment, New Brunswick's government has secured union support for proposed changes to how its public-sector pension system is funded, in light of the $1 billion deficit run by the program.

Not sure what the actual changes are (the article mentions something about a "shared-risk model", and the Government of New Brunswick's site mentions that it also involves increasing the retirement age to 65 from 60), though this Q&A page on the Government's site seems to go into somewhat more detail on how the model itself works.

Biggest aspect of it is a higher rate of employee contribution, and what appears to be a significant hike in that rate for people making more than $52,500.
    Last edited by John Madden; 21st November 2013 at 7:03 AM.
    last.fm
    facebook