Page 5 of 140 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: American Politics: THANKS OBAMA

Quote Originally Posted by ebilly99 View Post
    %0.7 percent of what was shown was pork. While there is some pork there I do not think it was huge enough to call super pork and kill the plan. However if it had been a Defense plan then no debate would have been needed.
    Well lets look at some of the highlights that Rep Issa has compiled that are in the bill that do not deal with "Relief" or "Aid" from Sandy.

• $13 billion for large infrastructure projects that we are assured would “mitigate” damage from future storms.

• $10.8 billion for public transportation, almost entirely for future projects, not disaster relief.

• $207 million for the Department of Veterans Affairs’ Manhattan Medical Center.

• $199 million in tax breaks for rum makers.

• $188 million for upgrading, not repairing, Amtrak rail lines.

• $150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to provide fisheries in Alaska.

• $100 million for a federal day-care program.

• $57 million for tracking debris from the 2011 Japanese tsunami.

• $20 million for a national “water priorities” study.

• $8 million to buy vehicles and equipment for the departments of Justice and Homeland Security.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...ar-for-course/

Now I havn't seen the entire list, but that alone seems to come out at more than 0.7% of the bill.
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    Well lets look at some of the highlights that Rep Issa has compiled that are in the bill that do not deal with "Relief" or "Aid" from Sandy.

• $13 billion for large infrastructure projects that we are assured would “mitigate” damage from future storms.

• $10.8 billion for public transportation, almost entirely for future projects, not disaster relief.

• $207 million for the Department of Veterans Affairs’ Manhattan Medical Center.

• $199 million in tax breaks for rum makers.

• $188 million for upgrading, not repairing, Amtrak rail lines.

• $150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to provide fisheries in Alaska.

• $100 million for a federal day-care program.

• $57 million for tracking debris from the 2011 Japanese tsunami.

• $20 million for a national “water priorities” study.

• $8 million to buy vehicles and equipment for the departments of Justice and Homeland Security.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...ar-for-course/

Now I havn't seen the entire list, but that alone seems to come out at more than 0.7% of the bill.
    Those were not on the list you sent me earlier. Sorry I didn't know they had a newer one out.

Thanks to treeco123

LIGHT SIDE HAS CUPCAKES
    DARK SIDE OFFERS COOKIES
    JOIN THE DERPY SIDE.... WE GOT MUFFINS

Quote Originally Posted by ebilly99 View Post
    Those were not on the list you sent me earlier. Sorry I didn't know they had a newer one out.
    That would be my mistake sorry, I was working off my iPhone at the time and trying to keep the boss from seeing xD
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

That would be my mistake sorry, I was working off my iPhone at the time and trying to keep the boss from seeing xD
    No Problem. I agree that billions of dollars going anywhere other than rebuilding is wasted money. I believe that the Republicans from NY and NJ should now look into other ways of getting the state rebuilt. Perhaps a Loan would make the senators look more closely for pork to kill. 10 years to pay it back sounds good to me, at 1.5 percent interest of course.

Thanks to treeco123

LIGHT SIDE HAS CUPCAKES
    DARK SIDE OFFERS COOKIES

I believe I was making the point it was undignified for the office, that the Office of the Presidency is something special that requires those in it to hold themselves to a higher standard. The same cannot be said for the Speaker's Office which has always been something less dignified and more dirty as it is used to get votes.
    So because it is less dignified and dirty, he can act like an *******?
    That's the worst justification I've ever heard. Make all the excuses you want.
    He is still a publicly elected official who has the ears and eyes of millions of people on a daily basis.
    There is something called class, which Boehner has none of.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

Funny how the thread title acknowledges the "Changing World." Indeed, thats what it is.

It's seriously no joke what is about to happen to America, and during the election, I became convinced that if you were voting for Obama, not only did you know full well what he was actually going to bring in a 2nd term, but you WANTED it to happen to yourself, because as a modern American, you've become so selfish with your entertainments and technologies, and wanted free "Obamaphones." but I digress.

I'm much more concerned about the Middle East. He can stumble things up domestically all he wants, but Obama clearly is no good to the Middle East. We could very well be in WWIII by 2014.
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Elliot View Post
    He is still a publicly elected official who has the ears and eyes of millions of people on a daily basis.
    Might want to take a harder look at Congress, no one there really has class, starting with Harry Reid

Might want to take a harder look at Congress, no one there really has class, starting with Harry Reid
    Or John Boehner. Politics is a dirty game though, so I don't really care about this.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

Quote Originally Posted by 7 tyranitars View Post
    Or John Boehner. Politics is a dirty game though, so I don't really care about this.
    Personally for me I put the man, and I use that term loosely that said the Iraq war was lost on national tv when you have troops fighting and dying over there. As pretty much the most classless and dispicable person in congress. Say what you want about Boehner at least he said it in private and did not try to give comfort to the enemy during a war.

I hate to say this, but I agree with Big Lutz here. The President is the face of the Nation. He can not be rude, greedy or appear incompetent. I understand that is unfair, but it is the curse of the job.

Thanks to treeco123

LIGHT SIDE HAS CUPCAKES
    DARK SIDE OFFERS COOKIES

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post

I'm much more concerned about the Middle East. He can stumble things up domestically all he wants, but Obama clearly is no good to the Middle East. We could very well be in WWIII by 2014.
    Can you explain your reasoning here?
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

Dallas Morning News: Cruz begins Senate career pledging to hold conservative lines on spending, guns

As Vice-President Joe Biden and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell figure out their next courses of action regarding the United States’ information transformation, new Texas Senator Ted Cruz is opening his term with a call to at least partially shut Washington, D.C., down in order to reduce the deficit. Senator John Cornyn, the other senator from my home state, greeted Cruz after the oath, and the latter’s family – including his father, one Pastor Rafael Cruz, “who fled Cuba in his teens” – was there to witness the event. According to Senator Cruz, the fiscal cliff deal called for a $620 billion tax increase, and I imagine that there’ll be more proposals like it depending on the number of programs the Democratic Party’s main factions demand.:

Daily Caller: Caroline May: Oregon to consider additional tax on gas efficient vehicles
    World Affairs Journal: P.J. O’Rourke: Dear Mr. President: Zero-Sum Makes Zero Sense

Color me flummoxed, even given everything that’s been occurring about green energy’s slowdown. This legislation, which is intended to take effect in 2015, imposes a tax on vehicles with at least 55 miles per gallon, vehicles which have resulted in declining revenue from the gas taxes already in place up in Oregon. Any manufacturers producing these types of vehicles could either attempt to call for a decrease in these taxes to give Oregon’s market some additional value or relocate elsewhere, either Kansas or here, depending on the conditions. Then again, if any individuals or groups especially envious and fearful of these companies – or what they symbolize – start calling for increased attention against them, then it might only be a matter of time before someone starts thinking of “retribution through redistribution” as a concept to convince the rest of the peoples of the world that globalized capitalism will utterly wreck everything they believed. As more countries get the idea that they can succeed only at others’ expense, whether through ballots or bullets, missiles or money, instability can and will surface. Al-Qaeda, Lashkar-e-Taiba, and others seek to “redistribute violence to places that didn’t have enough”, while Russia and China have each been working to redistribute the global balance of power… or, failing that, inflict as much damage on as many people with as much speed as possible. If anything, I’d place my bet on “negative-sum” as an even more applicable concept for this period of time, whether seriously or comically.:

Deutsche Welle: Suliman: ‘Al-Jazeera plays the piper, but Qatar calls the tune’
    Week: Peter Weber: Why Al Gore sold Current TV to Al-Jazeera

Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani mobilized his resources to insert himself into the upheavals throughout the Islamic Community, and among Al-Jazeera’s first targets was Muammar Gaddafi. He and Bashar Assad evidently fell out of favor with the House of Thani, and even though some journalists at that network wanted to extend their coverage to Syria right away, nothing much progressed until Al-Jazeera’s higher-ranking executives decided to start instigating the latter’s downfall. We could call it “television for terrorists”, judging from everything it’s cheerled as the first decade of this century progressed, which, incredibly, could be why I actually pity it – and, by extension, the House of Thani – for accepting that offer from former Vice-President Al Gore earlier this week. Gore attempted to hasten the deal to stay ahead of that fiasco over the “fiscal cliff”, rejecting an offer to purchase from Glenn Beck, earning a supposed total payout of $100 million, if at most. Depending on the progress of the global energy revolution, Gore, Thani, and Al-Qaeda might not need much longer to see their fortunes decline, which would most likely be why Al-Qaeda’s massacring its way through certain parts of the world even as this year unfolds.:

Fox News Channel: Al-Qaeda Reportedly Carving Out Its Own ‘Country’ in Mali

If Abu Musab Abdel-Wadoud or Abdelhakim Belhadj wants to declare himself a sort of Caliph-in-training, then it looks like one or the other has an area in which he and his associates can unleash terror, submission, and purity by himself. After at least 11 years of attacking American and other targets, Al-Qaeda is entrenching itself in northern Mali, territory “almost exactly the size of Afghanistan”, and it’s initiating public amputations and destroying Timbuktu’s mausoleums. Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb now operates in the Sahel, which runs from southern Mauritania through northern Mali all the way to Eritrea, and in a way, it’s perfect for their view of a Sharia paradise. The jihadists stole construction equipment to start digging tunnels and building roads, as well as weapons from Malian and Libyan military storage sites, started using solar panels for electricity, which could give green energy companies the idea to file lawsuits, and even set up connections to local clans, all without running out of gas or food. I might guess that as other Muslims across North Africa grow more dissatisfied with, say, Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, they’ll turn to Abdel-Wadoud to fight against any outside adversaries, perceived or real, pushing the Islamic Community deeper into itself. Judging from the spirals in Egypt’s currency, they may be about to get a chance to make their opinions known.:

Ahram: Morsi’s Brotherhood may pay price for Egypt currency fall

The Egyptian pound is losing value against the (American) dollar, and since two-fifths of all Egyptians need state subsidies on such things as bread to get by a typical day, they’ll be first to immediately feel any price punches resulting from increases in costs of other imported goods. This currency slid to 6.39 to the dollar this week, and the Egyptian Central Bank wanted to use foreign reserves to defend it, even since Hosni Mubarak stepped down. Now, Muhammad Morsi wants to secure a loan from the International Monetary Fund, but some Muslim Brotherhood operatives are backing off, citing tax increases and mounting popular discontent. Nowadays, it’s the Muslim Brotherhood that’s stuck with redistribution, and President Barack Obama pushed it, thereby countering this global modernization. I might have concluded that former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney and current Wisconsin Representative Paul Ryan would harmonize this trend and America’s prosperity more smoothly, but now, it appears we’re just inching along. Entrepreneurs throughout Africa and East Asia could bubble up to persuade this country to start strategizing with them in mind in the next few years.:

Forbes: Jerry Bowyer: The Next Big Thing from the Official Who Predicted Communism’s Demise

Herbert Meyer has the bigger preference for predictions here, but then, perhaps the Soviet Union was intended to herald not the ascendancy of a Marxian utopia, but the collective suicide of Russia. The Central Intelligence Agency believed that the Cold War was a permanent fixture of international politics, but it didn’t have any sight of Soviet weaknesses. According to Meyer, the rest of the planet is leaving poverty behind more quickly than anyone could suspect, whether it’s the Obama administration, the Tea Partiers… or even the House of Thani. The “emerging global middle class” will number about five billion, presumably without any bloodbath(s) along the way, and if we start reaching a point at which North Africans and Middle Easterners prefer a Costco or even a church – among other things promoting freedom, friendship, harmony, and life – over a “lunatic mosque”, then America and its allies can stand back and manage the information transformation worldwide, exposing Islam’s fourteen-century struggle – and I use that word intentionally – against modernization and also leaving Chinese and Russian nationalists in the dust.
    Last edited by ccangelopearl1362; 8th January 2013 at 2:28 AM.
    Babylon 5, Codename: Kids Next Door, 24, and now, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I am many things at once, and many people might have different opinions about little, old me. If freedom is my main idea, then harmony, individuality, and modernization are the three attributes I now sense and track. Those three attributes and that idea combined to make the United States of America a great global superpower and Pearlshipping and Wishfulshipping great Pokémon couples, and now, they've combined to make those four shows truly great television programs to me. I will enjoy enthusiastically supporting the Equestrian ponies' adventures for peace, for humankind, for the future.

Personally for me I put the man, and I use that term loosely that said the Iraq war was lost on national tv when you have troops fighting and dying over there. As pretty much the most classless and dispicable person in congress. Say what you want about Boehner at least he said it in private and did not try to give comfort to the enemy during a war.
    By your logic, BigLutz I think you are an idiot therefore you are a horrible person.
    So you would rather condemn a man who can be honest and say hey look I didn't get us into this situation, but I am doing all I can to fix it. It's a huge sinkhole and the best thing to do right now is to get out of there.
    Just because we leave a country does not mean we lost the war.
    Furthermore, you stand behind a man who blatantly lied to the American people saying oh yeah MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. We are DONE over there. He instilled false hope in everyone and he did it knowing that we would not be leaving any time soon.

By your logic, BigLutz I think you are an idiot therefore you are a horrible person.
    So you would rather condemn a man who can be honest and say hey look I didn't get us into this situation, but I am doing all I can to fix it. It's a huge sinkhole and the best thing to do right now is to get out of there.
    Just because we leave a country does not mean we lost the war.
    You realize Harry Reid said this in 2006, not 2010 when we left. He was not doing anything to fix it, we had troops fighting for survival against insurgents over there, and he decided to come out, while they were still fighting, and say the war was lost. How many more troops died from that? How many Americans did Harry Reid help kill because he energized the enemy into thinking they were winning?

Furthermore, you stand behind a man who blatantly lied to the American people saying oh yeah MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. We are DONE over there. He instilled false hope in everyone and he did it knowing that we would not be leaving any time soon.
    You do realize the Mission Accomplished statement was about the destruction of Saddam's Government correct? Not the complete end of all operations in Iraq.

Edit: Hell this was even in his speech!

"We have difficult work to do in Iraq. We are bringing order to parts of that country that remain dangerous."
    "Our mission continues...The War on Terror continues, yet it is not endless. We do not know the day of final victory, but we have seen the turning of the tide."
    Last edited by BigLutz; 6th January 2013 at 2:27 PM.

How many more troops died from that? How many Americans did Harry Reid help kill because he energized the enemy into thinking they were winning?
    Do you have hard numbers? Do you have factual/empirical evidence that directly can correlate Reid's statements to an increase in troop deaths?
    You can't. You don't. Don't sell me your opinion as fact.

In that SAME speech Bush said "In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed."
    He may not have thought the war was over, but he was certainly saying it.

President Bush is well aware that the banner should have been much more specific and said "mission accomplished for these sailors who are on this ship on their mission." And we have certainly paid a price for not being more specific on that banner.
    From Dana Perino herself.
    http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archiv...0080430-5.html

Do you have hard numbers? Do you have factual/empirical evidence that directly can correlate Reid's statements to an increase in troop deaths?
    You can't. You don't. Don't sell me your opinion as fact.
    I am merely wondering, Reid's statements were obviously fodder for al Qaeda and Iran to recruit and push forward. This is found in the Islamic State of Iraq using Harry Reid's own words in a communique to push for victory against America.

"This comes on the heels of an important statement by House Majority Leader Harry Reid who previously said, “The Iraqi war is hopeless and the situation in Iraq is same as it was in Vietnam.”"

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/arti..._to_Harry_Reid

In that SAME speech Bush said "In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed."
    He may not have thought the war was over, but he was certainly saying it.
    Yeah, Battle of Iraq, which would be the United States and the other allies, versus Saddam's Army. Now are you saying the U.S. did not prevail against Saddam's army? That they were still fighting the Republican Guard after?

President Bush is well aware that the banner should have been much more specific and said "mission accomplished for these sailors who are on this ship on their mission." And we have certainly paid a price for not being more specific on that banner.
    From Dana Perino herself.
    http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archiv...0080430-5.html
    Oh no doubt the optics were bad, but that does not mean that he was lying to the American people.
    Last edited by BigLutz; 7th January 2013 at 2:55 AM.

You realize Harry Reid said this in 2006, not 2010 when we left. He was not doing anything to fix it, we had troops fighting for survival against insurgents over there, and he decided to come out, while they were still fighting, and say the war was lost. How many more troops died from that? How many Americans did Harry Reid help kill because he energized the enemy into thinking they were winning?
    When Bush had that "Mission Accomplished" banner, how many troops died because they had false reassurance that the war was over?
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    When Bush had that "Mission Accomplished" banner, how many troops died because they had false reassurance that the war was over?
    Why would troops die merely from "false reassurance" that the war was over? You would think they would be taking even greater care for themselves. Furthermore they would only be repositioned into Afghanistan or another position until their tour of duty was over. By the way as noted Bush made frequent reference in his speech that there was still work to do. Are you saying American troops are unable to comprehend what the President was saying?

By the way Harry Reid has said another stupid thing....

"WASHINGTON – Comparing disasters is probably never a good idea because regardless of the size it’s a travesty for those directly affected. Therefore, it was surprising, as well as factually incorrect, when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid Friday took to the Senate floor and declared that Hurricane Katrina was “nothing in comparison to what happened to the people in New York and New Jersey” from Hurricane Sandy.

Sandy devastated some of the nation’s most populated areas, but it didn’t come close to Katrina. Hurricane Katrina, and the flooding that followed when federally built levees failed, killing 1,833 and causing more than $145 billion in damage. Sandy has been blamed for 120 deaths and over $80 billion in damage."

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...l#incart_river

Yeah... Sandy was worse than Katrina as long as you ignore the deaths and damage
    Last edited by BigLutz; 7th January 2013 at 5:02 AM.

Yet Boehner and his Republican cronies are allowing their actions to speak louder than their words by not providing aid to disaster victims yet requesting aid for their own constituents.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/arti...Inaction_Watch

Your point about Reid's comments on the war have no basis in fact, it's merely your opinion. Yet you want to portray it as otherwise.
    I absolutely love your hypocrisy, that Harry Reid needs to keep his mouth shut and not let anything deemed stupid to come out.
    Yet Boehner can curse someone out and that is completely okay with you.
    The same cannot be said for the Speaker's Office which has always been something less dignified and more dirty as it is used to get votes.

Yet Boehner and his Republican cronies are allowing their actions to speak louder than their words by not providing aid to disaster victims yet requesting aid for their own constituents.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/arti...Inaction_Watch
    I believe we have already gone over the aid bill and the problems within it.

Your point about Reid's comments on the war have no basis in fact, it's merely your opinion. Yet you want to portray it as otherwise.
    I absolutely love your hypocrisy, that Harry Reid needs to keep his mouth shut and not let anything deemed stupid to come out.
    Yet Boehner can curse someone out and that is completely okay with you.
    First I would suggest that you go and learn what Hypocrisy means because the two situations are not comparable. Harry Reid went on National TV to demean the war and give strength to the enemy, something I have proven that they then used against America. On the other hand Boehner said something privately to Reid, the two situations are in no way comparable.

Well, Obama nominates Senator Chuck Hagel for Secretary of Defense much to Republicans' dismay.

Also, the Tea Party gets a new low approval rating from 3 of 10 Americans from the Rasmussen poll which is conservative leaning by the way.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...p_ref=politics

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    Well, Obama nominates Senator Chuck Hagel for Secretary of Defense much to Republicans' dismay.
    Meh, he may be a Israel hater but there are bigger battles to fight with the debt ceiling and those nuts advocating for the $1 Trillion Dollar coin.

Should be interesting to see how Democrats hold their nose for this pick, especially since he opposes ALL abortions even in cases of rape.

But hey, on the bright side atleast Iran is happy about it

Ah, Operation Iraqi Freedom. I believe that exactly 10 years will have passed since that initial venture into the Islamic Community by President George Walker Bush. I wanted to stay alert for any new threads that surfaced as a result of the war. I believed that the Kurds of Iraq would remain at their strongest within its governmental framework, and even today, I’m still uncertain about their prospects. Then again, they might not even have to hold an official vote to secede from Iraq to give their compatriots in Turkey, Syria, and Iran the idea to dismember those countries by building a Republic of Kurdistan. We could have intervened militarily to topple Saddam Hussein and Bashar Al-Assad and systematically encouraged modernization movements – including criticism of Muhammad – inside Iran and along the Arabian Peninsula, and the trends coursing throughout the Middle East and the rest of Islam would have been much farther along already by now. I’m certain that Senators Harry Reid and Chuck Hagel will need to keep those and other trends in mind as Inauguration Day 2013 approaches.:

Daily Caller: Mickey Kaus: Hagel’s Mideast blunder – not on Israel
    National Journal: Michael Hirsh: What Obama’s Senate Mafia Means for America

It was Hagel who called now-former General David Petraeus’ surge America’s “most dangerous foreign policy blunder since Vietnam” at the Cable News Network, and he’s been one of the Obama administration’s main foreign policy experts. Hagel recommended Joe Biden as President Barack Obama’s running mate back in 2008, and together with Senator John Kerry, they’ve been acting as a trio of mentors for America’s 44th President, from realpolitik with China to new military and diplomatic arrangements with various emerging nations, such as India and Brazil. One amusing incident involved a dinner with Afghan President Hamid Karzai to discuss rampant corruption, ending with a walkout by Biden, so it looks like the United States and India will have more room on which to cooperate, as they should, especially if Afghanistan and Pakistan end up imploding in the next few years. For my part, everybody in the nation’s capital, from lawmakers to journalists, has been jumping on these nominations, leaving the Senate as a battleground. The President must have known about other groupings he’s been organizing, so to speak, so these nominations tell me that his main base has lost faith in any ability to govern this country, guard freedom, individuality, and modernization, and manage the global market. As a result, his associates are looking for and working with individuals and groups most likely to damage or slow down the agents of modernity, whether real or imaginary, and also fighting its other opponents as they pursue their own goals and agendas. Inside this country, ethnic collectivists, environmental radicals, and labor unions are antagonizing neoconservatives, Tea Partiers, evangelical Christians, and corporate executives… all without any other options, which could cue other Senate Republicans more sympathetic to the groups in that second category to find measures to contain the groups in that first one – and Senate Democrats to start pulling away as quickly, if also quietly, as they can.:

Fox News Channel: Sen. Sessions: Withhold Debt-Ceiling Increase Until Senate Passes Budget Plan

Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions wants a level debt ceiling until a budget plan is in effect from Congress, but only the House of Representatives has had a budget. At this point, I’m betting on concerns about backlash once the Democrats’ main factions conclude that this economic and technological transition will nullify their shared livelihood, their vision of a just American public. While Senator Sessions and his constituents could seek restrictions on funds for the debt ceiling, the likes of the International Longshoremen’s Association could mobilize against Senator Reid, Vice-President Biden, and so on, if to no avail, so that the Senate will invariably stay mired in its gridlock until the voters figure out how to transition to a societal, nay, socioeconomic model anchored on flows of information through the Internet and energy through new advancements all over the place. It may be all that Congress and certain rather large companies can do to secure their own investments and property as firmly as they can.:

US News and World Report: Lauren Fox: Fiscal Cliff Bill Loaded with Pork
    Roll Call: Boehner Coup Attempt Larger Than First Thought

Wow, indeed. That bill designating relief for the areas affected by Hurricane Sandy wasn’t the only one with pork surrounding it, and to think that House Majority Leader Eric Cantor may very well have timed his withdrawal of the thing to occur right in the middle of Congress’ fiscal cliff negotiation effort, if he really was the one behind it. One could wish that one were making up the inclusion of rum producers in tax breaks for that fiscal cliff deal, and Diageo and Bacardi ended up securing $480 million in aid for this endeavor. Electric vehicles and motorsport race tracks were also included in the final payout, with up to $2,500 in total tax credits for people who buy these vehicles and a yearly deduction of at least $40 billion for race tracks, bleachers, and concession stands. On Capitol Hill, Congresspersons Justin Amash, Mick Mulvaney, and Raul Labrador attempted to unseat Speaker John Boehner, talking with their friends and colleagues to get a total of 25 House members to vote against Boehner’s House leadership. Oddly, two potential House Republicans who could have been expected to support this attempted coup, Cantor and Texas Congressman Jeb Hensarling, chose to reject the offers from the plotters. A different attempt to unseat Boehner originated from former Congressperson Jeff Landry, and lawmakers opposing this idea wanted someone more plausible and discussions away from live television. At this point, I find myself unable to muster enough energy to criticize one faction or the other here, but I’ll accept recommendations from anyone with ideas about the Republican leadership in the House of Representatives.
    Babylon 5, Codename: Kids Next Door, 24, and now, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I am many things at once, and many people might have different opinions about little, old me. If freedom is my main idea, then harmony, individuality, and modernization are the three attributes I now sense and track. Those three attributes and that idea combined to make the United States of America a great global superpower and Pearlshipping and Wishfulshipping great Pokémon couples, and now, they've combined to make those four shows truly great television programs to me. I will enjoy enthusiastically supporting the Equestrian ponies' adventures for peace, for humankind, for the future.

Meh, he may be a Israel hater but there are bigger battles to fight with the debt ceiling and those nuts advocating for the $1 Trillion Dollar coin.

Should be interesting to see how Democrats hold their nose for this pick, especially since he opposes ALL abortions even in cases of rape.

But hey, on the bright side atleast Iran is happy about it
    For what we agree on, he's no Rumsfeld.

If Senator Chuck Hagel could simultaneously made groups with opposite views unhappy, then at this point, intentional provocations via Cabinet nominations could be all that the Obama administration will have concluded itself capable of undertaking until Congress approves somebody more amenable to assisting in the management of this planet’s cultural implosions, thereby pulling them – and the Democratic and Republican Parties – toward this century’s energy revolution. Energy fields in North America and near Australia would be significant enough, but if trends in Israel are anything to go by, the Middle East could be up for a major shift in ground rules.:

Haaretz: Australian firm might compete with partners at Leviathan
    Forbes: William Pentland: America’s Other Energy Revolution and Why It Matters

Thank Yahweh for including two gas fields running into trillions of cubic feet in His package of blessings for the descendants of Isaac, and please alert Congress – and the rest of the American government – as quickly as possible. The larger of these fields may be up for production as early as 2017, and the Anglosphere’s energy connections with Israel might be even speedier as Vice-President Joe Biden, Secretary of State John Kerry, and Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel look for modernization in this country’s market system, should such outcomes prevail. Even though pipelines in the Sinai Peninsula were sabotaged, Woodside, the main Australian company behind this move, is forging ahead with plans to sell its own share of natural gas, presumably liquefied. I’d imagine that if former Vice-President Al Gore really saw this coming, then the opposite of the foundational premise behind his campaign these past several years would be occurring, so he’d want to find the most visible anti-American energy enterprise anywhere – as he perceived –and arrange a deal sticking them with a lousy television network while leaving it with less and less money to spend on certain projects. If that wasn’t enough, energy distribution itself is filtering into the general public in the form of microturbines, which “provide high electrical efficiency compared with traditional gas turbines in the same size class”, making centralized thermal power plants just about obsolete.:

I can hear the new howls of despondent rage from the likes of the Sierra Club, and this could be just the beginning. As other viable technological advancements start streaming out into public knowledge, certain Democratic and Republican visionaries could devise their own strategies to maneuver the American federal government closer to this societal trend, working with activists and officials at local levels. The Muslim Brotherhood and the House of Thani could concentrate as much power around themselves as possible, but they’d be useless against this global energy web, leaving them vulnerable against Al-Qaeda, Lashkar-e-Taiba, the Islamic Liberation Party, and the Salafis on one side and China and the other Sharia sheikhdoms – presumably starting with the United Arab Emirates – on another. Shiism and Iran are inextricably tied together, so once that country goes, so does that branch of the Islamic Community. The realizations at the Guidance Office will be all too grim from this point forward.:

Gatestone Institute: Irfan Al-Alawi: The Nour Party – Egyptian Wahhabis Exploiting the ‘Salafi’ Mask
    Hudson Institute: Center on Islam, Democracy, and the Future of the Muslim World: Eric Trager: Egypt’s Looming Competitive Theocracy

The Nour Party has been the main group goading the Muslim Brotherhood into proving its Sharia credentials more thoroughly, and as per demands out of its financiers, whoever they are, it’s calling for wealth transfers from non-Muslims and concealment of the statues of Egypt’s past pharaohs. It’s also instituting regulations involving family or inheritance matters, long a subject of debate in even other Muslim countries, such as Morocco. Speculation runs as to the origin of the Nour Party’s support base, ranging from Saudi Arabia itself to secretive deals with Egypt’s military commanders, but nostalgia for an idealized society appears to be a common thread. The Muslim Brotherhood, on the other hand, accepts political participation as a method to persuade Egyptians that a Sharia regime will be the only option to defend Egypt from outsiders. As an organization, it uses internal promotions to maintain some semblance of unity and maintains a nationwide hierarchy embodied in… the Guidance Office, led, of course, by Supreme Guide Mohammed Badie. It can transmit orders to regional, divisional, and local leaders about any issue, whether it’s social management or another round of pro-MB demonstrations. The Salafis, are much more decentralized, following their own schools and sheikhs, such as those loyal to Al-Gamaa Al-Islamiya. That terror group operates its own social service network along the areas south of Cairo, lending its strength to the Nour Party. They could appeal to younger voters more directly, thereby outlasting whatever prerogatives the Muslim Brotherhood set up for itself in the course of Islamizing Egypt in its own image, beyond anything President Barack Obama or Senators John Kerry and Chuck Hagel could control. As President Muhammad Morsi moves forward with his agenda, he could have a new headache to handle from something far more basic to environmental concerns.:

International Islamic News Agency: Arab states told to avert water crisis

Between energy expansion and food escalation, Deputy Defense Minister Khalid bin Sultan Al-Saud and his compatriots appear to be facing a bit of a squeeze for their region. According to him, about half the total water in the Arabian Peninsula is groundwater because there are no major rivers toward which the people can congregate. A comprehensive water extraction and purification system may not develop with enough time, given the turmoil in the countries intersecting with the Red Sea, the Gulf of Aden, and the Persian Gulf, so Saudi Arabia would only be one of the countries with the worst consequences from any water shortage. The Obama administration and Congress can’t act quickly enough in coordinating with the rest of the Anglosphere, Israel, India, and any other countries in agreement with this country’s existential mission to keep the trade routes through the Mediterranean Sea and the rest of the Middle East open in the coming years.
    Last edited by ccangelopearl1362; 9th January 2013 at 4:59 PM.

Page 5 of 140 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast