Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #103

Default Community POTW #103

Right, it's that time of year again, the Pokémon of the Week in the week that covers Christmas. As Delibird has been done, I decided to do the polarbear Pokémon

Beartic is a surprisingly good Pokémon, and now its Hidden Ability is available, it can be pretty brutal

http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

Go nuts

be all that you can beartic!
    said a almost 30 year old married guy who part time drives a van.

Ability: Snow Cloak
    Item: Leftovers
    Moves: Hail, Blizzard, Brine, Superpower
        Spoiler:- Favourite Pokemon:

I used this pokemon for a while and it was quite reliable. When used right, it can be quite terrifying.
    Bear in mind, this is a battle
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: swift swim
    EV's: 252-attack and 252-speed.
    Item: Life orb/Leftovers
    Moves:
    Icicle crash/Super Power
    Rain Dance
    Dive/Brick break
    Ice punch

Bearly hanging in there
    Nature:Modest
    Ability:Snow Cloak
    EV's: 252-special attack 252- defense
    Item:Leftovers/Chesto Berry
    Moves:
    Surf
    Hail
    Ice Beam
    Rest
    Last edited by Dancing Togekiss; 16th December 2012 at 2:20 PM. Reason: change held items

Once again I will just do that counters.

Beartic resides in NU and even there it is fairly outclassed due to the presence of all those fighting type Pokemon. There is Sawk, Throh and then Emboar. Unless it is raining Sawk will outspeed it and finish it off with a fighting move, Throh revenge kills it and Emboar can just switch into anything but Aqua Jet set and finish it off with Arm Thrust. But that is not the end of it. There is Skill Link Cincinno which finishes it off with Rock Blast but can't switch in because of Superpower. Its main weapon is Icicle Crash so Water types like Alomomola and Frillish would have fun time switching in against it. Last but not the least is Armaldo who can easily switch in due to enough bulk and finish it off with a STAB Stone Edge\Rock Slide\Rock Blast.

Dive can actually work well for beartic; while the oppoments can switch into resistances, its STAB moves counters grass and dragon while shadow claw or night slash against water absorb jellicent. Though what is left will be water types themselves. It has grass knot, but to make use of it, beartic has to sacrifice Attack EVs and limit nature choice to avoid -Sp.Att ones just to be made a mixed sweerper, so it's not worth it. However,

Mixed Sweeper
    Nature: ones with +Attack or Sp.Att, -Def or Sp.Def
    Ability: swift swim
    EV's: 4-attack and 252-sp.att and 252 speed
    Item: Life orb/Leftovers/Damp Rock
    Moves:
    Icicle crash/Ice Punch
    Rain Dance
    Surf
    Grass Knot

So first, give beartic it rainy speed boost. Grass Knot rounds out the type coverage as it will score a super-effective move on most pokemon resistant to water and ice (which are all water-type pokemon). Unless you're paranoid about shedinja, in which just get your entry hazard.

Ooooh, one of my favourites!
    In my oppinion, this is the counterpart of Excadrill, since both have an ability thats raising their speed twice in a weather, and both have 135 base attack

Icee you love rain

Item: Life Orb
    EVs: 252 ATK/SPD, 4 HP
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Swift Swim

-Swords Dance
    -Superpower
    -Aqua Jet
    -Ice Punch

This set is amazing in ubers <3 tried it and owned some teams in rain, first try to Swords Dance on some dragon type pokemon that will switch, then attempt to sweep. Aqua Jet for boosted priority, Ice Punch for a nice STAB and Superpower for coverage

Not a huge fan of beartic but I guess I can make a set

Adamant
    Swift swim
    Item @: Ice gem / Rock Gem
    EV's 252 attack 124 defense 128 HP (ha try and see how long this takes (:<)
    Aqua jet / Dive
    Super power / Stone Edge
    Icicle Crash
    SD / Night Slash

Since beartic isn't particularly bulky have someone else set up swift swim, super power or stone edge, its either reduce your attack and defense by a stage, or get crits more often, Swords Dance or Night Slash, setting up for later if you think you can spare a turn, or night slash for something pesky that already resists stone edge and icicle crash, wow golurk and chandelure coverage out of the way now if only you can take a flamethrower to the face from a super charged chandelure -_-
    Last edited by SmeargleRocks; 16th December 2012 at 4:07 PM.

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

Kraleck's Poke-Analysis
    Abilities:
    -Snow Cloak - Pretty standard fare for an Ice Type. Evasion boosted during Hail can help with the occasional stall-out, but it pales in comparison to...
    -Swift Swim (B2W2 Hidden Grotto) - Good for boosting that low Speed and giving you some pseudo-protection from Fire-Type Moves. I love it!

Stats:
    -HP - Great. Base 95 falls short of getting you 101+ HP Substitutes, but it does make you pretty bulky for an Ice Type.
    -Attack - Great. Base 110 is a pretty good Attack Base.
    -Defense - Average. Base 80 is nothing to write home about, but it's not as bad as some Ice Types.
    -Sp.Atk - Below Average. Somewhat viable with some Moves, but nothing too noteworthy that can't be done elsewhere and better.
    -Sp.Def - Average. See Defense.
    -Speed - Good (Trick Room and Swift Swim). Base 50 is my personal maximum for Trick Room viability, plus Swift Swim boosts you to a potential 436 Maximum Speed. Plus, Aqua Jet from B2W2 is a sweet deal for easy pick-offs and revenge KOs when they see you're so slow normally.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaretto View Post
    Ooooh, one of my favourites!
    In my oppinion, this is the counterpart of Excadrill, since both have an ability thats raising their speed twice in a weather, and both have 135 base attack

Icee you love rain

EVs: 252 ATK/SPD, 4 HP
    Nature: Adamant

-Swords Dance
    -Superpower
    -Aqua Jet
    -Ice Punch

This set is amazing in ubers <3 tried it and owned some teams in rain, first try to Swords Dance on some dragon type pokemon that will switch, then attempt to sweep. Aqua Jet for boosted priority, Ice Punch for a nice STAB and Superpower for coverage
    You are pretty much wrong. Excadrill and Beartic are not counterparts. Beartic doesn't have 135 base attack, its 110. Plus outside of weather Excadrill is faster with 88 speed while Beartic has 50.

And Beartic in Ubers? I find that really hard to believe. It can't even make it to UU.

Liking a Pokemon is one thing over-glorying is another.

So this is what happens when an Abomasnow and Ursaring decide to start breeding. It's got two very unique abilities which make it a very viable options on weather teams although with Swift Swim it really stands out it covers it's lacklustre speed very nicely and with the additional benefit of rains basic ability to douse fire's strength by health gives it a "little" extra cover.

Ideal moveset for Adamant Nature with Swift Swim
    Super Power
    Icicle Crash
    Stone Edge
    Aqua Jet

The set is pretty basic Icicle Crash gives a very nice stab with the added potential benefit of a flinch whereas, Aqua Jet is a nice priority move that deals with the annoyance of rock and water types who want to play chicken with the big bear but also in rain makes it riskier for switch-ins. Stone Edge as we all know is a powerful rock type move which gives it raw power and nice coverage if it needs it and super power can help deal with annoying threats such as steel, rock types and more importantly Ferrothorn. The idea is to kill until there is nothing left.

If your feeling brave Substitute + Bulk up are viable options but because of Beartics weaknesses as an Ice Type it makes it very hard for Beartic to find the room to set itself up.
    - My Sig was too Tall, so a Mod fixed it -

Default First post in the forums here

Lemme give this a shot, first time trying to make a moveset for Serebii (or any site for that matter):

Name of set: BEARly fazed
    Ability: Snow Cloak/Swift Swim
    Moves:
    - Rest
    - Substitute
    - Ice Punch
    - Brick Break/Superpower/Focus Punch
    Nature: Adamant (+Attack/-Sp. Attack) or Jolly (+Speed/- Sp. Attack)
    Item: Leftovers/Chesto Berry
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 Sp. Def / 4 HP
    Looking at Beartic's initial base stats, I see a tank that can last a decent amount of time against most matchups. Decent defensive stats (95/80/80) allow it to switch into a lot of moves and absorb them, while a base 110 Attack helps deal out some damage of its own. I liked to use Beartic myself during the main story of B/W because of how durable he is, and as an Ice version of Ursaring he's got a STAB that can be used more effectively than his brother bear.
    His ability depends more on what kind of team you set up; Snow Cloak helps give some evasion hax for that rare Hail team, and Swift Swim if you snag one from the Dream World helps surprise attackers with its speed (if you already have Rain set up).
    Rest/Substitute can help you to stall out anyone trying to tear you down too much, and with the EVs you put into your defenses you should be able to switch into an attack without sustaining too much damage. Ice Punch takes advantage of Beartic's above-average Attack stat and combines it with STAB, helping you deal decent damage to a wide number of Pokémon. Brick Break gives you good coverage against types that would resist Ice, and Superpower gives it even more power but lowers its Attack and Defense after use, so be cautious of how often you use it. If you want to go with more of a Sub-Punch route with Focus Punch, then go ahead, but you'll have to be stuck with the Snow Cloak ability as it's only available to Beartic through breeding for now. Maybe some later generation... but that's still a ways away.
    Leftovers help stall the time that you can keep Beartic in play, and counteracts any entry hazards it might deal with. If your opponent already has Stealth Rocks up, then it'll definitely need it, as its pure Ice typing takes out 25% of its HP. If you want to use Rest right away, though, a Chesto Berry can help instantly recover your HP and take away your sleep status.

Yay? Nay? Anything I could do to improve it?

Quote Originally Posted by naporo View Post
    Yay? Nay? Anything I could do to improve it?
    Sadly, tanking with Beartic will be difficult in any tier, thanks to one major weakness; it's typing.

Ice typing may be pretty good offensively, but when trying to tank, it's got a countless amount of weaknesses, and only one resistance to make up for it. It's vulnerable to spikes and toxic spikes, and worse yet, loses 25% of it's health whenever it swaps into Earthquake.

Also, cases were 252/def/252sp.def is better then 252 HP/the rest being spread into the other defenses is very rare, since HP does more to help then each individual defense. Rest is also difficult to pull off now, as every time Beartic will swap out, it's reset, so you'll have to wait two more rounds for it to wake up.

Beartic should best be used offensively, rather it's 252 att/252 Speed or 252 HP/252 Att, it's all about hitting as hard as you can.

Speaking of which, a choice band set hasn't been done, so I may as well do one.
    Beartic @ Choice Band
    252 HP/252 Att or 252 att/252 speed
    Adamant
    -Icicle Crash
    -Super Power
    -Stone Edge
    -Night Slash

The first thing you need to know is that this set needs a rapid spinner or magic bouncer. All sets really, really want one, but a choice band is practically doomed without one. Icicle Crash is an excelent STAB attack, while Super Power hits those steel type swap ins. Stone Edge rounds the coverage by hitting fire types trying to swap in on Icicle Crash, and Night Slash is just filler.

If you go for maximum speed, make sure it's on a rain dance team. If not, go for HP. Unless, you intend to use this to counter rain teams in OU, but, uh, good luck with that. If you want to use this thing in that tier, you're gonna need it.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

I can't BEAR temprature and weather in the ArcTIC
    -Rain Dance/Brick Break/Superpower/Focus Punch(Egg Move)/Aerial Ace
    -Same Options as above
    -Aqua Jet (From Black 2 and White 2)
    -Ice Punch (Tutor or Egg Move)/Icicle Crash
    Swift Swim(Hidden Ability)
    Damp Rock (If you run Rain Dance)/White Herb (If you run Superpower)Expert Belt/Muscle Band/Choice Band or Scarf (If you don't run Rain Dance)
    Jolly or Adamant
    252 in both Atk and Spd, 4 HP
    So, a wide movepool, right? Rain Dance sets your rain (if you don't lead with Drizzle Politoed or something similar). Choice Scarf makes you even faster. Damp Rock makes Rain to last for more time. Ice Punch or Icicle Crash for STAB. Freeze, more PP and accuracy VS more power and flinch. Aqua Jet Does very well with this set and strikes Fire and Rock types. Aerial Ace requires the aid of Expert Belt, but hits Fight-Types hard. Or a fight type itself for Steel-Types:
    -Focus Punch is stronger, but requires prediction.
    -Superpower is still very strong, but reduces physical stats.
    -Brick Break is safe and cancels Reflect and Light Screen, but is far less strong.
    And Serebii, well done this, but... Remember my words.

Beartic @Leftovers
    Careful
    Swift Swim
    212Hp 40Atk 252Sp.Def
    -Sub
    -Bulk Up
    -Icicle Crash
    -Focus Punch
    boy, gf threw a lot of sh-t beartic's way. pure ice typing, hideous speed, relatively low defenses, mediocre hit points, and, to top it all off, he can't fit into weather. evasion clause is active, banning snow cloak/sandveil, and drizzle swim is banned to so he can't fit in on rain teams in ou. what's left? sand or sun? oh hell no. 212 into hp gives the maximum leftovers number, i maxed his special defense, and threw the rest into attack for sh-ts and giggles. he also has decent coverage with his attacks, so that's one thing he's got going for him. swift swim is to gain an (ever so slight) advantage against rain teams, although with his uninvested speed, i might as well not even bother.

i'll put in some lame-***/funny-*** joke later.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Just a note use 248 HP evs instead of 252 it gives him 5 times switching into stealth rocks instead of 4 (not like he would be able to switch 5 times but... maybe you are lucky enough..)

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Countering Beartic
    Beartic's newly available Swift Swim gives it effective Neutrality to Fire during its beloved Rain. Doesn't matter much with Ice Types being weak to Rock, Steel, and Fighting as well, but it's an option. In circles where Drizzle-Swim is allowed, which are rare these days, Beartic has a slightly-improved niche over its Normal-Type bear counterpart, Ursaring. Stealth Rock is a major pain to deal with, too. Swift Swim Beartic's likely counterparts tend to be Water Types, so Fire Types aren't as viable as counters for a second reason. Beartic's access to Aqua Jet and Swift Swim are huge assets against Rock Types, so Fighting and Steel (mostly Fighting) tend to be the preferred Types to gain a STAB advantage on Beartic's Weaknesses, especially with ones with Technician- or Iron Fist-boosted Mach Punch.

Water and Ice Types scoff at Beartic's STAB and enjoy the boost to Water and reduced Fire as well, respectively...and Dual Types scoff even harder at Beartic's STAB and Aqua Jet. Ironically, the North Pole & South Pole battle of Polar Bear VS Penguin fight is a lot different when you consider Empoleon is the Penguin in that fight. Empoleon resists everything Beartic can throw its way except Dig, Bulldoze, and its few, yet usable Fighting-Type Moves.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Snow Cloak w/ Muscle Band/Life Orb/White Herb
    Adamant/Brave w/ 252 Attack, 252 HP, 6 Defense/Sp Defense
    Icicle Clash/Ice Punch/Avalanche
    Aerial Ace/Shadow Claw/Stone Edge/Night Slash
    Superpower/Brick Break/Dive
    Dive/Hail/Bulk Up/Swords Dance

Partners:
    Abomasnow or Hail-users if Snow Cloak
    Politoad or Rain Dance-users if Swift Swim
    Trick Room-users

Countering:
    High-defense with Rock/Fire/Fighting/Steel-type attacks like Ferrothorn, Overcoat Forretress, Metagross, Flamethrower Weezing, Brick Break/Superpower Kingler, Durant, Slowbro, Fire Fang/Brick Break/Rock Slide Drapion, Escavalier, Feraligatr, or Scizor.
    Will-o-wisp/Flame Body-users like Spiritomb or Magcargo.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    Snow Cloak w/ Muscle Band/Life Orb/White Herb
    Adamant/Brave w/ 252 Attack, 252 HP, 6 Defense/Sp Defense
    Icicle Clash/Ice Punch/Avalanche
    Aerial Ace/Shadow Claw/Stone Edge/Night Slash
    Superpower/Brick Break/Dive
    Dive/Hail/Bulk Up/Swords Dance

Partners:
    Abomasnow or Hail-users if Snow Cloak
    Politoad or Rain Dance-users if Swift Swim
    Trick Room-users

Countering:
    High-defense with Rock/Fire/Fighting/Steel-type attacks like Ferrothorn, Overcoat Forretress, Metagross, Flamethrower Weezing, Brick Break/Superpower Kingler, Durant, Slowbro, Fire Fang/Brick Break/Rock Slide Drapion, Escavalier, Feraligatr, or Scizor.
    Will-o-wisp/Flame Body-users like Spiritomb or Magcargo.
    Set: never use aerial ace. Dive can let foes set up. Use aqua jet over this. Always go super power over brick break, unless you really hate dual screens.
    Counters: ferrothorn takes a beating from super power. Forretress can survive, but it never really uses overcoat.

Sword Dance Beartic
    Item Leftover/Life Orb
    Nature Adamant/Jolly
    Ability Swift Swim/ Snow Cloak
    EVs 252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
    Move Set
    Icicle Crash/Ice Punch
    Brick Break/Superpower
    Aqua Jet/Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    Sword Dance

Beartic has high Attack, OK Defense, Special Defense and HP and low Speed, although Swift Swim can help it to become a lot more faster. Icicle Crash has more power and can flinch your opponent Pokemon, but Ice Punch has more accuracy. Superpower has a lot more power than Brick Break, but you might want to use Brick Break because it does not lower your Attack and Defense and it breaks Dual Screen. If you did not use Beartic in a Rain Team or it does not have Swift Swim, then Aqua Jet is a good move to use since it has Speed Priority and Beartic has high Attack, so it might deal quite high damages or it might be use to finish off weak foes. If you want more coverages, then Rock Slide and Stone Edge are good options. Sword Dance gain Beartic's Attack by 2 stage which gives more Attack and it can be combo with Aqua Jet. Leftover
    to give 1/16 HP to Beartic every turn or Life Orb for more Attack.

Other Options:
    Shadow Claw: For unresisted combo with Brick Break or Superpower
    Bulldoze: It lowers your opponent Speed which will give some chance for Beartic to be faster than your opponent next turn, although it has 2 times lower base power than Superpower.
    Bulk Up: If you want both Attack and Defense
    Return: I don't really recomend Return, but it might give neutral coverages and it has high base power (it is lower than STAB Icicle Crash though).

Little Cup:
    Physical Cubchoo
    Item Life Orb/Eviolite/Choice Band/Choice Scraf
    Nature Adamant/Jolly
    Ability Rattled
    EVs 252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
    Move Set
    Ice Punch
    Superpower
    Shadow Claw
    Return

Cubchoo has Ok Attack and Special Attack for little cup and the rest of the stat are low, even HP. So it is not very good in little cup, the only thing that Cubchoo have and Beartic don't have is its hidden ability, Rattled which gain its speed by 1 stage when it get hit by Bug, Dark or Ghost type attack. Ice Punch is the only good STAB move Cubchoo have, it can't use Icicle Crash. At least it can use Superpower in BW2. Shadow Claw for a unresisted combo with Superpower and Return for just neutral coverages. Life Orb or Choice Band for more Attack, Choice Scraf for more Speed or Eviolite for more Defense and Special Defense.

Special Cubchoo
    Item Life Orb/Eviolite/Choice Specs/Choice Scraf
    Nature Timid/Modest
    Ability Rattled
    EVs 252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
    Move Set
    Ice Beam
    Grass Knot
    Surf
    Hidden Power Ice

You might not know that Cubchoo has nearly the same Attack and Special Attack, but it is true, so it can play as a Special Attacker. Ice Beam is one of the best STAB move for Cubchoo, Grass Knot for more coverages and it can knock out heavy Pokemon easily. Surf for a powerful Water Type Attack and it kills Fire Type and Hidden Power Ice for a BoltBeam coverages with Ice Beam. Life Orb and Choice Specs for more Special Attack, Choice Scraf for more Speed and Eviolite for more Defense and Special Defense.
    Last edited by chap196; 21st December 2012 at 1:55 AM.

Swords Dance and Superpower effectively cancel out. Use Brick Break if you don't want the Attack drop from Superpower, or if you hate screens. Obviously the ability used depends on what weather you use: Swift Swim (to double your speed) on a Rain team (Rain also takes away that Fire weakness of yours), Snow Cloak (to boost evasion) on a Hail team.
    YouTube Pika250, Twitter Pika250
    BMGf no. 8125 (Pika25), Smogon no. 8077 (Pika25)
    Find me at those Forums too!

My Pokemon Online Dream Team, I am "Scotty" on PO

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Set: never use aerial ace. Dive can let foes set up. Use aqua jet over this. Always go super power over brick break, unless you really hate dual screens.
    Counters: ferrothorn takes a beating from super power. Forretress can survive, but it never really uses overcoat.
    I understand Aqua Jet; Speed priority over power. I stated Aerial Ace as counter against Fighting-types. I stated Ferrothorn because of high defense and Iron Barbs. Overcoat Forretress can protect the effects from Hail.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    I don't care getingg an infraction the truth needs to be told.
    You know, you could potentially tell the truth and not get an infraction.

You see, there is this simple concept called manners, and it's probably best that you try and use them.
    I understand Aqua Jet; Speed priority over power. I stated Aerial Ace as counter against Fighting-types. I stated Ferrothorn because of high defense and Iron Barbs. Overcoat Forretress can protect the effects from Hail.
    ...Though I'll have to admit, Ilan is correct.

Most Beartic will probably carry Super Power, so countering it with Ferrothorn usually won't be the best plan. Also, Aerial Ace is unneeded, since when super effective, it only reaches 120 power. That's a lot, but Icicle Crash will do a little bit more, thanks to STAB, so that's not much of a solution.

Most people prefer sturdy on Ferrothorn, since it's immune to sandstorm damage anyway, and it protects it from a surprise fire attack so it can rapid spin or set up entry hazards. Even if it works, I don't like the idea of using it to counter things, since it's a much better supporter then wall.

Good users of Beartic will be using it with Rain Dance support most of the time, since usually in hail, you'll want a fast, specially based pokemon, to take advantage of Blizzard. In fact, 100% accurate blizzard is hail's only real niche over sandstorm. Overcoat to handle it alone is not really what you want. And if you counter it's rain sets, you'll probably counter it's hail sets as well. Beartic can't stall very well, so the HP loss from hail will be minimal. Snow Cloak is fine if not play Smogon I guess, but Frosslass is better at that thanks to it's fighting immunity, higher speed, and a decently powerful Blizzard.

Anyway, as far as counters go, I'd say Skarmory and Jellicent are the most reliable.
    Jellicent will-o-wisp to cripple it, and resist it's STAB and coverage both.
    252Atk Choice Band Beartic (+Atk) Icicle Crash vs 252HP/252Def Leftovers Sturdy Skarmory (+Def): 35% - 41% (117 - 138 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 20th December 2012 at 12:22 AM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Beartic joins this big group of pokemon from the fifth generation that fit in nicely to my conspiracy theory that Gamefreak is reusing old pokemon.
    =
    Even similar stats and overall movepool.
    Anyway, Beartic has been blessed with good Attack and decent Bulk. Unfortunately, it has some of the worst Defensive typing in the game, and absolutely horrendous Speed. It does get Swift Swim as an ability, but that's banned with Drizzle, and frankly there are better Swift Swimmers out there. Not only that, but his other ability, Snow Cloak, has been banned (I'm not sure if it's in general or just with Hail), rendering not one but both of his abilities useless. Maybe if he had a better movepool, he would be better. Unfortunately, he has about five usable moves, not including Swords Dance, to use. So overall, he's in a pretty bad position. Anyway, let's move on to his abilities and one-and-only set.

Snow Cloak: Raises evasion in Hail, but is banned in hail. So useless.
    Swift Swim (DW): Doubles Speed in Rain, but banned with Drizzle, which is the best form of Rain. The only way you would really be able to use this is if you have him to counter other Rain teams (since you can have SS if the opponent has Drizzle). however, Beartic isn't exactly a good Rain counter, so I don't recommend it.

I'm a Big, Fat, Muscular Polar Bear.
    -Icicle Crash
    -Superpower/Stone Edge
    -Swords Dance
    -Shadow Claw/Stone Edge/Aqua Jet/Superpower
    EVs and Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Atk)
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
    Beartic's one and only set. Yay. Now, always choose Swift Swim over Snow Cloak, as in the higher tiers you can take advantage of other teams' Politoeds or Rain Dance teams. Icicle Crash is his best STAB, and has the chance to flinch the opponent. Superpower is great coverage, as is Stone Edge. Swords Dance is for the much-needed power. The last move slot is a toss-up between Shadow Claw, Aqua Jet, and Superpower or Stone Edge (based on whatever you didn't choose as his second attacking move). Shadow Claw adds some random coverage, while Aqua Jet works as priority for that last bit of health. EVs are to maximize sweeping potential, while the extra HP EV allows for one more switch into SR.

Partners
    Anyone who can take out Fighting types or can take take those hits is Beartic's friend. He can't handle Fighting types at all. Fire and Rock types are also a problem. Thus, Starmie is a decent partner. Actually, he's great because he gets rid of Stealth Rocks, too. Metagross can also work if you're running Zen Headbutt, as is Lati@s.

Countering Beartic
    Oh my god is this easy to do. Heatran is great, as it can survive most of it's hits (including Superpower if you're going physically Defensive). Conkledurr takes Beartic's hits and replies with Mach Punch or Drain Punch. Metagross is another counter. Any pokemon that resists Ice and Fighting or Rock, or isn't super-effectively weak to those types and has good bulk, can counter Beartic. He's a pokemon that Gamefreak made who's sole purpose seems to be to strengthen my conspiracy theory. There are just too many factors to let him do anything else effectively.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

I Know We Are Winning, Just Please Bear With Us

Adament Nature 252 ATT 252 SP 4 HP
    Item: Damp Rock

-Rain Dance
    -Icicle Crash/ Superpower
    -Bulldoze (necessary for countering Heatran!!!)
    -Aqua Jet/ Dive/ Stone Edge/ Night Slash/ Brick Break
    Last edited by ysmr97; 20th December 2012 at 2:27 AM.
    My 3DS FC is 2964-8767-0282 PM me if you add me!

Visit Me and Chapter of Charizards gaming blog. Fans are always appreciated and welcomed. Feel free to comment!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast