Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why didn't Misty and Iris get a Pokedex?

Default Why didn't Misty and Iris get a Pokedex?

May and Dawn had one, so why not the other two girls?

I believe it's because Misty and Iris have been Trainers ever since they were younger, so they weren't beginners like most Trainers are when the get their Pokedex. Misty lived at the Cerulean Gym and Iris battled with and against Drilbur. But, they could have gotten a Pokedex from a Nurse Joy though. I don't know why not. :/

They weren't beginners like May and Dawn when we first saw them. That's why they didn't get a Pokedex from any professor.
    Welcome back Charizard! I've missed you so much! <3

It's pretty obvious.

May and Dawn started off their journey as Pokemon trainers (just like Ash, Gary even Cameron has one since he's a trainer). Misty was a Gym Leader and nothing ever stated a Gym Leader should have one (Brock and Cilan could be argued if you did believe so) and Iris was simply a trainer given a Pokemon by somebody she knows. Nobody of high priority like a Professor.

If you get your First Pokemon from a Professor or Authorized Nurse Joy you get a Pokedex.

If you get your First Pokemon from any other source you do not get a Pokedex.

Brock and Cilan don't have Pokedex's either, so why is this such a surprise?

I guess Gym leaders just aren't given them.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    May and Dawn had one, so why not the other two girls?
    1- Who cares...
    2- What An00bis said~

Misty and Iris were side characters while May and Dawn were more main characters who had big dreams alongside Ash. Plus they were given a Starter Pokemon from a Regional Professor

Because they dont start out as n00b trainers. Which I would think is a good thing.

They don't care about it.

I'm not even sure why this matters? Does it really matter who has a Pokedex in the show?

because they got their pokemon from someone else than a professor! but i m sure they would be given one if they asked for one....

Dawn and May were given their starters by a Professor, meaning they get their Pokedex as standard. Misty and Iris didn't get them because they started training and obtained their Pokemon elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I'm not even sure why this matters? Does it really matter who has a Pokedex in the show?
    It matters about as much as the threads you usually make..

I found it interesting how Misty used Ash's Pokedex twice. (To look up Poliwag & Mantine.) She might have known the basics, but there were other Pokemon she did not know of. I think the same applies to Iris.
    Last edited by Blessed; 25th December 2012 at 4:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    Dawn and May were given their starters by a Professor, meaning they get their Pokedex as standard. Misty and Iris didn't get them because they started training and obtained their Pokemon elsewhere.
    Funny how they never told us what Misty's first Pokemon was. It was probably Staryu, but the writers didn't even care enough to state it. We were at least told Brock's first pokemon was Onix in an early AG ep.

Wait, why does Georgia have a pokedex then? She probably stole it.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningSociety12345543210 View Post
    Wait, why does Georgia have a pokedex then? She probably stole it.
    She probably got her first Pokemon from a Professor? We only know three of the Pokemon she has, so we can't exactly say she doesn't have a starter..

May and Dawn started off their journey so that's why they got them. Misty and Iris were already trainers before they met up with Ash so that's why I think they didn't get a pokedex.

3DS FC: 0748-3470-9720 ♥

GIF Credit | Author's Profile | Tumblr
    Sailor Moon Club | PokeSpe Club

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Funny how they never told us what Misty's first Pokemon was. It was probably Staryu, but the writers didn't even care enough to state it. We were at least told Brock's first pokemon was Onix in an early AG ep.
    Really? I always thought we got told about that and it was Staryu/Starmie. My memory is very foggy regarding the subject though, so I'm probably wrong..

Really? I always thought we got told about that and it was Staryu/Starmie. My memory is very foggy regarding the subject though, so I'm probably wrong..
    I've rewatched the series extensively, we were never told what Misty's first Pokemon is. That's why we don't know if that Starmie was her first and then evolved or she caught it as a Starmie either.

We know Brock's was Onix, as an early AG episode shows a flashback with Brock/Flint and Brock saying it was his first.

Maybe Misty had one, but as time went on, she learned enough about pokemon or felt that she didn't need it..

Lost my Platinum, so that's not good. On the other hand, I have heartgold and my FC is:

Jimmy

5070 6163 8015

Quote Originally Posted by iraqmaster View Post
    Maybe Misty had one, but as time went on, she learned enough about pokemon or felt that she didn't need it..
    i would agree with that statement

I'm pretty sure Iris and Misty are not official trainers. As in not getting a poke from the prof. I'm guessing it is like sports. How people sign up for leagues and stuff then you have people who play for the fun of it

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMelody View Post
    I'm pretty sure Iris and Misty are not official trainers. As in not getting a poke from the prof. I'm guessing it is like sports. How people sign up for leagues and stuff then you have people who play for the fun of it
    Coordinators don't compete in leagues and they got Pokedex's.

Gymleaders don't need pokedexs. May wasn't sure she was going to be a coordinator until later and Dawn's mom said that all coordinators start out as trainers. I don't know why gymleaders don't but that's something you will have to take up with the producers of the show.

My ideal battle ever!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast