Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Treatment Of Ash's Oshawott

Default The Treatment Of Ash's Oshawott

Originally when Oshawott joined Ash's team he was found to be very eager to battle and he always wanted to please Ash. He was usually used in battles and by his most recent victory in Clay's Gym, Oshawott had a few wins, notably being Cilan's Pansage, Stephan's Blitzle, Trip's Timburr, and Clay's Krokorok. He was often thought of to potentially be Ash's first ever fully evolved, even EVOLVED water starter. As BW progressed, however, Oshawott began to shift to a more comic relief character who does nothing but cause trouble for others, get himself knocked out, and flirt with other Pokemon. By now he's nothing than a mere comic relief character who tons of people sadly view as useless and the writers treat like utter garbage. He hasn't had a victory since Clay's gym while Pikachu and Pignite get to shine. All in all do you think the writers should've handled Oshawott differently?
    Last edited by Oshawotter; 17th December 2012 at 2:06 AM.
    Go Sinnoh team! Go!

The treatment it got was too good. It and the rat needs to leave the show for good.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    The treatment it got was too good. It and the rat needs to leave the show for good.
    He doesn't need to leave at all. What he needs is better treatment, more like what Squirtle got rather than how Totodile was treated.
    Go Sinnoh team! Go!

Quote Originally Posted by Oshawotter View Post
    He doesn't need to leave at all. What he needs is better treatment, more like what Squirtle got rather than how Totodile was treated.
    I do not know what you sir are talking about. Most of his pokemon would kil for them to get the moneymaru treatment.

Honestly, it really should evolve. I mean, Dewott can be cute too (by softening its scowl with artistic licenses) and it wouldn't hurt to develop the Pokemon's character and skills in battle. It's like they know what they can do but for some asinine reason, they restrain themselves because of (altogether now) MERCHANDISING! It's things these that hinder the potential for the Anime to be better than it ever can or could be.

Not that making a living's against the law or anything though.
    Last edited by matt0044; 17th December 2012 at 4:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Honestly, it really should evolve. I mean, Dewott can be cute too and it wouldn't hurt to develop the Pokemon's character and skills in battle. It's like they know what they can do but for some asinine reason, they restrain themselves because of (altogether now) MERCHANDISING! It's things these that hinder the potential for the Anime to be better than it ever can or could be.

Not that making a living's against the law or anything though.
    I've been hoping to see him evolve into a Dewott for probably several episodes now and, though just because of their bs merchandising reason, they keep him an Oshawott and just use him for comic relief, rather than use him as a great asset for Ash's team. Dewott is still a very cute Pokemon and it actually didn't get that much of a good focus either, being under the ownership of Burgundy who's just meant to make Cilan and everyone else look good.
    Last edited by Oshawotter; 17th December 2012 at 2:35 AM.
    Go Sinnoh team! Go!

I think Oshawaott should be getting more screen time, as I do with many of Ash's pokemon, but shouldn't evolve. He should keep his mischeivous, playful personality, but he should be able to battle adeptly, being Ash's first Unova pokemon, and with all the battles he's had.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Currently Looking For:
    any meowth/persian

I'm with you there, I thought things will be really different this saga ever since Ash was confirmed to catch Oshawott. I got my hopes way to high since Oshawott is my favorite Pokemon in Ash's team and wanting him to be Ash's regional powerhouse much like Infernape in DP and Sceptile in AG.>_> But yeah, it's unfortunate that marketing seems to be way more favored over development which is pretty sad. I also can't comprehend that the writers can at least make a Pokemon marketable even if it isn't popular.:S I guess we'll have to wait for Gen 6 and pray that the Fire Starter will be the cutesy-wutsey one while the water wouldn't have much marketability or its final evo will be more badass ala Infernape/Charizard, JS...:P

How can people want MORE screentime for that plushie ad? Do you guys know how many pokemon that had potential but got the shaft so they could shoehorn Oshawott in every other episode?

Oshawottt has had decent screentime as well as battle time. Training time instead of comedy relief time would be better more but that didn't happen. It needs to change soon.

My ideal battle ever!

People are questioning the screentime of the three starters an awful lot, but they've got a good couple of years left on the main cast before the generation changes. Krookodile, Unfezant and Leavanny are likely to leave regular rotation after the league, as they're fully evolved with a few victories each and are unlikely to return often. Oshawott, Pignite, Snivy and Scraggy definitely aren't done.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshawotter View Post
    ...Oshawott began to shift to a more comic relief character...
    Ash's Oshawott has always been a comic relief character.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    I think Oshawaott should be getting more screen time, as I do with many of Ash's pokemon, but shouldn't evolve. He should keep his mischeivous, playful personality, but he should be able to battle adeptly, being Ash's first Unova pokemon, and with all the battles he's had.
    I agree about battling adeptly, but Unfezant is Ash's first unova pokemon.

How can people want MORE screentime for that plushie ad? Do you guys know how many pokemon that had potential but got the shaft so they could shoehorn Oshawott in every other episode?
    I think all of the pokemon should get more screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rovian View Post
    I agree about battling adeptly, but Unfezant is Ash's first unova pokemon.
    Woops, forgot about her.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Currently Looking For:
    any meowth/persian

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Oshawottt has had decent screentime as well as battle time.
    Exactly. I find it strange that people forget that Oshawott currently has a better win percentage than Pignite, who has been overhyped lately. That will change in a couple of weeks, but Oshawott is still a good battler and doesn't deserve to be dragged just because he's not beating fully-evolved Pokemon. Oh, and even if he did beat fully-evolved Pokemon, people would complain about it. So no matter what, he cannot win with the fanbase so eager to criticize his every move. I want him to get more training, but I don't see it happening for a long time. Oshawott does better at selling items anyway, which is a real honor and something only he and a few other Pokemon can do these days. He's iconic.

Poor little otter, it really been lacking in every thing as of late, the only thing its good for now is being Best Wishes mascott and I don't know if people remember that hes apart Ash's team now.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Honestly, it really should evolve. I mean, Dewott can be cute too (by softening its scowl with artistic licenses) and it wouldn't hurt to develop the Pokemon's character and skills in battle. It's like they know what they can do but for some asinine reason, they restrain themselves because of (altogether now) MERCHANDISING! It's things these that hinder the potential for the Anime to be better than it ever can or could be.
    It really should have evolved once. Dewott looks enough like Oshawott to keep being marketable while having that tough side that can appeal to a wider audience and give him an edge in battle. Really it makes more sense for Ash to have Dewott than Pignite which looks alright but is the least marketable of its three stages.

Because Oshawott had potential even when we knew it wouldn't evolve. It's been reduced to being Ash's Psyduck with the occasional cool moments and victories but being a punching bag most of the time. I blame Dawn's Piplup.

It does look like he's become more comic relief that's true but aside how else can they use him? Snivy, Pignite, Krokorok, and even Unfezent are seen more battle ready in comparison. If they d have him battling its probably out of pride and or honor such as his rivalry with piplup. He does kinda remind me of Corphish in that he causes a nuiansse when he means or doesn't mean well so its not like he was the only water type Ash had to get this treatment

Yeah...its sad that he doesn't get a lot of serious air time. Give him more time, and reduce Pignite, Krookodile, and ESPECIALLY Pikachu's air time; but knowing all these obvious reasons why, asking for this is a fool's errand.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiash View Post
    Dewott looks enough like Oshawott to keep being marketable
    Uh, no. Dewott wasn't even in the Top 30 most popular Unova Pokemon list while Oshawott was tied at #8 and Samurott was at #24. Dewott isn't even nearly as marketable as Oshawott which is also evidenced by the lack of its merchandise; the only time you ever see a Dewott toy in Japan is when it's included in a set with Oshawott and Samurott. Meanwhile, those two have individual toys. They're the real money makers, not Dewott. ITT: Kids aren't here for Dewott and there are receipts to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    Poor little otter, it really been lacking in every thing as of late, the only thing its good for now is being Best Wishes mascott and I don't know if people remember that hes apart Ash's team now.
    What? He is probably Ash's most popular Pokémon this region as long as a comedic character and has more screen time than almost everyone of Ash's other Pokémon. He may not be a powerhouse or used in much battles but people know who he is and he is not lacking in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    Uh, no. Dewott wasn't even in the Top 30 most popular Unova Pokemon list while Oshawott was tied at #8 and Samurott was at #24. Dewott isn't even nearly as marketable as Oshawott which is also evidenced by the lack of its merchandise; the only time you ever see a Dewott toy in Japan is when it's included in a set with Oshawott and Samurott. Meanwhile, those two have individual toys. They're the real money makers, not Dewott. ITT: Kids aren't here for Dewott and there are receipts to prove it.
    Poor argument. For example Chandelure is at the top of that list yet it gets little to no attention from the anime staff. You're also missing my point, I didn't say Dewott was more marketable than Oshawott but that it looks enough like Oshawott that it can still be marketable with the right effort.

Dewott's lack of merch just means they haven't tried to market Dewott, it doesn't mean it isn't marketable.

Ash's Charmander evolved into Charizard, yes? Yet all 3 were all still very marketable.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Oshawott is basically a Pokemon version of Brock, more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Staff View Post
    Wait. How?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Staff View Post
    Really? Don't mind giving an explanation as to why?

Anyways, Oshawott should evolve by now! It can still be a funny pokemon as Dewott too! Ash's Sceptile was a Grovyle for the Hoenn region series!
    Pokemon X: 1435 - 4013 - 1487 (,,)

I am searching for the following Pokemon
    (Modest), (Modest), (Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Jolly/Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Modest), (Jolly/Adamant)

I can provide you with the following Pokemon…
    (Timid), (Jolly), (Timid), (Rash), (Bold), (Careful), (Relaxed with Seismic Toss).

I’m also offering a legit Shiny Foongus. Looking for a good natured shiny in return!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast