Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Monster Hunter

Default Monster Hunter

I know this game is kind or rare and a bit of a "you like it or you hate it" type of game, but it's for sure a game for the true hardcore gamer in anyone. So, has anyone here on Serebii fallen into the Monster Hunter niche and played one of the games before? They're all relatively the same, and they're not exclusive to Sony or Nintendo for anyone who may stumble upon this thread and think "Huh, maybe I should try this game out."

My favorite Monster Hunter game, so far, is Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. It has all of the monsters and weapons from Tri, but it also has so much more. You get to have Felyne partners to help you fight monsters, and local multi-player.

This really is a game where you find yourself on the edge of your seat. Are you going to beat the monster? Is he going to get you first? Those moments where you miraculously survive. This game is amazing.

So, what's your favorite monster? Your favorite Monster Hunter game? Your favorite weapon? Whatever. Let's just talk Monster Hunter!

The place for avid writers and readers!

Oh hello! I personally love Monster hunter. I've only played Freedom Untie and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, but I'd have to say that Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is my favourite. I'd have to say my favourite weapon would be the Feylyne Switch axe (I forget the name) and my favourite monster would have to be the Gobul, though I won't be able to fight one until I get MH3U on the 3DS in March. :P

It's nice to see more people who like MH on Serebii! ^_^
    I'll be getting a Ps3 soon, so I will be able to play Ad-Hoc with you then if you'd like. Pm me if you're interested!

Oh... My boyfriend has a PS3, but it's been broken for over a year! He's saving up to get a super slim package...whenever we get the money. I'll see if he knows that game, and if we can maybe get it. That could be really fun. c:

Oh! I have that switch axe! I'm trying to upgrade it right now, but I don't have the right ore.

I've played Portable 3rd much more than Freedom Unite... I've gotten through the one star missions, and my boyfriend and I have only played about an hour together on Freedom Unite. I have...over eighty hours in Portable 3rd, I believe. I'm crazy for that game. ~<3

I don't know how many hours I've played, but right now my P3rd is about completed. :P
    That doesn't stop me from Re-playing it though!

What ore do you need to upgrade it? I might know where it is!

Oh, I'm just too lazy to go get it right now. I need to make the..Schlam Catz, or whatever.

My boyfriend said we might not be able to do that with the PS3. We don't have a wired internet connection; it's wireless. :c

I forgot to mention my favorite monster... I haven't fought too many, but as of right now my favorite monster would have to be the Doburuberriku? (I can't remember how to spell it, and I'm too lazy to look it up... Bleh...) I just call him Dobu, lol...

I love Monster Hunter! I started on the very first game but couldn't figure it out and ultimately hated it, it wasn't until Freedom 2 came out that I tried again. Luckily that time I had friends to play with so that made it so that I could actually figure out what I was doing rather than playing blind. My favorite monster has to be Rathalos! Ever since I first saw it I instantly loved it! In every Monster Hunter I have played I have made the Rathalos armor and weapons (usually the great sword). I love using the great sword, nothing makes me feel better than to unleash a fully charged attack on, well, any monster. It's too much fun! As for my favorite game it would have to be Freedom Unite. It has so many weapons, armors, and monsters. Tri didn't have enough of anything (though I am excited for Tri Ultimate on the 3DS) and Portable 3rd is great, but not as good as Freedom Unite. Maybe we can all get together and hunt sometime. I'm thinking of getting Xlink Kai (I have no clue how it works but I want to figure it out).

I only ever played Tri, but it was easily one of the most entertaining games I've ever played. Definitely considering Ultimate when it comes out in March.

I almost always used bowguns as my weapon of choice, since I noticed players who were decent at using them were rather uncommon.

You should definitely get Ultimate when it comes out. Maybe we could form a party and play together sometime. My boyfriend and I are both going to get Ultimate - one for him and one for me - as soon as it comes out / he gets me my purple 3DS.

Yeah? I'm best with switch axe, but I've been tampering with bow, gunlance, hunting horn, and bowgun a bit here and there. So far it looks like I'm going to stick to switch axe and gunlance most of all.

Have any of you seen this trailer for Monster Hunter 4?

Two new weapons are going to be coming in! What appears to be a bowstaff and a new type of axe - sword axe?

You'll now be able to jump onto the monsters in battle! How enticing!

Four known new monsters to fight? Exciting!

Come on Capcom! Release this in America!

I'm pretty sure it's a given that Monster Hunter 4 is coming to the US. It is a numbered entry into the series after all.
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

Yes, but Portable 3rd didn't come to the U.S.

All of the monsters that Ultimate is bringing to the plate - except for a select few - were already in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. It just was slightly more difficult, and you didn't have Cha-Cha. You had two Felyne partners instead to fight with you. You could craft armor for them and other things.

Considering that it was related to Tri, why did it not come to America?

Tis why we have to hope that 4 will.
    Last edited by Shiro to Kuro; 15th January 2013 at 8:23 PM.

I'm really going for 4! I can't wait for it to come out. If I have to, I'll get a Japanese 3DS. I must have 4!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro to Kuro View Post
    Yes, but Portable 3rd didn't come to the U.S.

All of the monsters that Ultimate is bringing to the plate - except for a select few - were already in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. It just was slightly more difficult, and you didn't have Cha-Cha. You had two Felyne partners instead to fight with you. You could craft armor for them and other things.

Considering that it was related to Tri, why did it not come to America?

Yes, but it was a port of the original Tri, which was released in America. Monster Hunter 4 is a new entry to the series, like Tri, so I wouldn't worry so much about it getting localized. The fact that they're localizing Ultimate further increases the chances, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sceptile33 View Post
    Yes, but it was a port of the original Tri, which was released in America. Monster Hunter 4 is a new entry to the series, like Tri, so I wouldn't worry so much about it getting localized. The fact that they're localizing Ultimate further increases the chances, too.
    ...Portable 3rd isn't a port. I've played both Portable 3rd and Tri. They take place in vastly different towns and have different monsters. Portable 3rd has Felyne helpers instead of Cha-Cha. Portable 3rd also does what the other Monster Hunter games did, and allows you to pick which weapon you want to use right from the start. No worrying about unlocking weapons later in the game. This way you can start with the weapon you're good at straight away.

...This, and ports tend to have the same name as the game that is being ported...because it is the same game. That's why it's called a port.

Look at Legend of Zelda. It was released on the Famicom / NES. Later, they ported it to GameCube and Wii. Same with Zelda 2. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were also ported - from N64 to GameCube.

So, um, you know...no. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was not a port. Try saying that after you play both Portable 3rd and Tri. Compare them.

Please know your facts before stating what you think you know as a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by sceptile33 View Post
    Just to warn everyone, there will be spoilers in this reply.

A port? Portable 3rd was nowhere near a port. It added it many new monsters (Jinouga, Aoashira, Urcsis, Rangurotora, Amatsumagatsuchi ). It also added the subspecies that weren't in Tri (Red Qurupeco, Sand Barioth, Ice Barroth, Electric Gigginox, Steel Uragaan, Ice Agnaktor, Purple Royal Ludroth) and that was just the new monsters. It also brought back monsters that weren't in Tri (Silver Rathalos, Gold Rathian, Tigrex, Black Tigrex, Nargacuga, Green Nargacuga, Black Diablos, Bulldrome). The village is Yukumo Village instead of Moga Island. There are many different weapons when compared to Tri, and they were all updated to have new moves or abilities. Let's not forget that the Mountain Stream was only in Portable 3rd. Cha Cha was replaced by the ever more useful Felynes, they took out the swimming function and the Lagiacrus (which was the game's main monster), Gobul, and Ceadeus. The story was completely different from Tri, the farm was different, there are just so many things that I could keep going on about.

I'm sorry if that sounded mean, but saying that Portable 3rd was a port of Tri was almost insulting. Please know what you are talking about before making a statement like that.
    Last edited by DemonPants; 16th January 2013 at 4:03 AM.

You'll both have to excuse me foe my wording. I was in a hurry, I made a mistake, and I know I'm not the only person who has posted in this thread who has made one. Regardless, my point still stands that Portable 3rd wasn't a new, numbered entry to the series, even if it was different enough from the other games. That's why I feel more optimistic about Monster Hunter 4.

There is finally an official release date for Tri Ultimate! March 19th! There is also a demo coming on the 3DS and WiiU on February 21st. It probably won't be anything great but I'm still pumped for it!
    Last edited by DemonPants; 19th January 2013 at 5:35 AM.

Random bit of news for you guys! Because this news is only really good for a couple of months.

My boyfriend and I own Tri, so we would be able to play online until the servers go down! I recently started my character, but that's alright. I currently don't have a job, so I have plenty of time to get further.

My boyfriend has a monster character on this game. If you want to play with him, just post in this thread requesting to play online with DemonPants, or send him a PM.

Same goes for me, except, well, to Shiro to Kuro of course.

I thought you all would enjoy hearing that news. Hopefully things won't be too hard to set up.

Sadly, Alex and I don't own a Wii U so we can't play online with Ultimate for a while once it comes out.

So, how about I try and get this thread going with a little discussion?

What is your favorite monster to fight and why?
    What is your least favorite monster to fight and why?

And by monster, I mean big "boss" monster. No little field monsters.

It can be from any monster hunter game thus far.

My favorite monster to fight is Jinouga (Zinogre) because of his battle music. He was the main monster in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd which, for a while, was my favorite game. As of right now, it's my second favorite game mainly because of the switch-axe weapon.

I also like the lightning attacks he does, and how he sounds. He's also a very pretty monster.

My least favorite monster to fight is, what I have dubbed, "The Ratha-friends." I don't like fighting the Rathian or Rathalos because of their attacks and temperaments. I know that other monsters are just as aggressive or more so, but...they're just more fun to fight. End of story.

I mean, it isn't that I can't fight them, because I can, I just don't enjoy it.

: P

My favorite monster to fight is the Rathalos. :P They were much better in Freedom and Freedom Unite. They were a lot more believable and they were more awesome. Not to mention the amazing Silver Rathalos, who bumped the awesomeness up to 11 and beyond. Tri honestly made them annoying and almost unfair. They shouldn't have made them fly for everything they do.

I think my least favorite monster to fight is the Yian Garuga. He comes from a family of weak monsters that are easy to take down, but he is the super saiyan of the group. He has really tough armor, ridiculous power, and the ability to jump out of pitfall traps. Oh, and I forgot to mention that he is resistant to almost every element. It's not a fun fight at all.

Rathalos fan boy you are.

I haven't fought too many, so my opinion...right now...is not good. Not a Ratha-friend supporter.

Ew... Doesn't sound fun... Not looking forward to fighting him.

I have never played a Monster Hunter game, but I will defiantly check out the MH3 U 3DS demo next month, and if I enjoy it, I will pick up for sure! From what I have seen the game looks pretty damn good!
    All the other kids with the pumped up kicks you better run, better run...

If you want to see my Event Pokemon, PM me

If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

I've also never played Monster Hunter before, but I'm considering on buying MH3U. If a demo is released in the eshop at some point I'll defiantly download it and see how it is, and if I really enjoy it then I'll defiantly buy it. I had no idea what the game was even like but from what I've seen from the trailer(s) it looks pretty cool. It's defiantly a type of game I would enjoy playing, especially if there's a bunch of customization of weapons, weapon types, and armor.
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo
    Mega Snorlax make it happen GAME FREAK!!

3DS FC: 3308-4646-2043
    NNID: Zyon17

I've never played the Monster Hunter Series ever. It looks really intresting so when the Demo comes out onto the E-shop I'll grab it and try it out. If I do like it then i'll purchase it for the 3DS when it comes out!
        Spoiler:- Credit:

I am planning to get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate bundle for the Wii U and I just want to know what exactly do you do in the game?

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    I am planning to get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate bundle for the Wii U and I just want to know what exactly do you do in the game?
    Pretty much what the game title says, you hunt monsters it's as simple as that :3
    Now I've only played the demo version of MH3U, but I've gone on the website to learn more about the game. You are a hunter and you take on quest's to go hunt a monster, and before you go off on this quest(or hunt) you must prepare yourself in the town(or towns, I'm not 100% sure if there's more then one). In town you can buy all manner of potions, cooked food, traps, etc. When you go off on the quest you actually have a time limit, you'll most likely kill other monsters and harvest a piece from them, you'll do this when you defeat monster your trying to hunt for. When you harvest these pieces you'll take them back to town an will be able to craft better armor and weapons so you can take on the higher ranking quests.
    The one thing that I really like about this game is that it's not something that you just smash the A button repeatedly and boom you killed the enemy without hardly trying. You actually need to plan and have a strategy. Nor is this game turn-based, you can't see the enemies health bar but instead you need to watch and pay attention to what the monster is doing. For example the Lagombi in the demo getting it's health about halfway or so it'll start drooling and trying to catch it's breath, eventually it'll then start limping off trying to escape you. Which of course you have to chase it down and finish the job. I feel this game has a realistic feel, especially when you dodge an attack.

I'm really surprised I never got into this game before, I guess mainly because I never heard about it until now.
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo
    Mega Snorlax make it happen GAME FREAK!!

3DS FC: 3308-4646-2043
    NNID: Zyon17

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast