Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Monster Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    I am planning to get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate bundle for the Wii U and I just want to know what exactly do you do in the game?
    Zyon gave a pretty good explanation, but it basically boils down to this: You hunt monsters so that you can take their materials to make better weapons and armour to fighter stronger monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyon View Post
    For example the Lagombi in the demo getting it's health about halfway or so it'll start drooling and trying to catch it's breath, eventually it'll then start limping off trying to escape you.
    Close, when it starts drooling and panting that's because it's run out of Stamina, a mechanic that was added to monsters in Tri. When it's Stamina gets low it's attacks will be slower, they might fail, may repeat less, etc. Each monster has a place it will go to replenish its Stamina and is completely vulnerable while doing so.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

I'm stuck on the dual jin high rank quest in Portable 3rd (I didn't actually try it since I wanted to play Unite for a while), currently playing through Unite and played Tri a bit. IMO Tri was one of the worst MH games in the whole series, it felt so empty especially when compared to the PSP ones. MH3U looks like a huge improvement and MH is my favourite game series, so I've already preordered it. Only a week left till it gets released! In Europe anyway..
    I claim Larvitar!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitarquake View Post
    I'm stuck on the dual jin high rank quest in Portable 3rd (I didn't actually try it since I wanted to play Unite for a while), currently playing through Unite and played Tri a bit. IMO Tri was one of the worst MH games in the whole series, it felt so empty especially when compared to the PSP ones. MH3U looks like a huge improvement and MH is my favourite game series, so I've already preordered it. Only a week left till it gets released! In Europe anyway..
    I never got that far in MHP3rd, might start playing it again for the last few days before 3U comes out, since I'm not at all familiar with the monsters that were added. I'm pretty well done in Freedom Unite. I've got all the Village Quests completed, except for the final Epic Quest, which is pure hell, I've accepted I'll never beat it. As for Guild quests, I've beaten all the urgents, and every quest up to G-Rank as well. I can't solo the remaining G-Rank quests I have left though, and my friend and I just don't play it any more.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

MH3U is going to be released tomorrow!
    I've pre-ordered my copy at Gamestop and as a bonus I'll receive a special code to download the strategy guide for free. I can't wait to play this
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo
    Mega Snorlax make it happen GAME FREAK!!

3DS FC: 3308-4646-2043
    NNID: Zyon17

I'm picking up my copies for 3DS and Wii U tomorrow, I'd love to play online with anyone who's getting it on Wii U.

I'm getting it tomorrow as well, also for Wii U. I won't be able to play it until this weekend or next week though because my Wii U is at home and PAX is this weekend...I'm not sure if Monster Hunter is the perfect "sit-back-and-relax" kind of game, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimentio View Post
    I'm getting it tomorrow as well, also for Wii U. I won't be able to play it until this weekend or next week though because my Wii U is at home and PAX is this weekend...I'm not sure if Monster Hunter is the perfect "sit-back-and-relax" kind of game, really.
    Sure it is! What's more relaxing that hitting a monster in the face?

Well, in fairness, one of my buds staying with me will have it for 3DS. So we may indulge for that reason. But we have 7 people overall so maybe something more party-oriented will be appropriate.

Has anyone had time to try out the Wii U and 3DS version both? I'm wondering about the consensus on either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimentio View Post
    Well, in fairness, one of my buds staying with me will have it for 3DS. So we may indulge for that reason. But we have 7 people overall so maybe something more party-oriented will be appropriate.

Has anyone had time to try out the Wii U and 3DS version both? I'm wondering about the consensus on either.
    Wii U version is much better, since the 3DS version is just a port and they never bothered to fix the text. It's very blurry on the 3DS, making it hard to read. I find using the Pro Controller easier than the Circle Pad Pro as well.

And on that note, the Wii U Pro controller's ZR/ZL buttons do allow you to rotate the camera, which is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    I never got that far in MHP3rd, might start playing it again for the last few days before 3U comes out, since I'm not at all familiar with the monsters that were added. I'm pretty well done in Freedom Unite. I've got all the Village Quests completed, except for the final Epic Quest, which is pure hell, I've accepted I'll never beat it. As for Guild quests, I've beaten all the urgents, and every quest up to G-Rank as well. I can't solo the remaining G-Rank quests I have left though, and my friend and I just don't play it any more.
    I pretty much stopped playing P3rd since most of the monsters there are in MH3U. Though I do want to fight 3rd gen Ukanlos and Akantor, and Amatsumagatsuchi (sp?) since I doubt it'll be in any other mH games. I'm not really that far in Unite, I finished the village low rank and did a few quests in high rank.

Hopefully my order of Ultimate from Shopto should come tomorow, since it's already been dispatched.
    I claim Larvitar!

I pretty much stopped playing P3rd since most of the monsters there are in MH3U. Though I do want to fight 3rd gen Ukanlos and Akantor, and Amatsumagatsuchi (sp?) since I doubt it'll be in any other mH games. I'm not really that far in Unite, I finished the village low rank and did a few quests in high rank.

Hopefully my order of Ultimate from Shopto should come tomorow, since it's already been dispatched.
    Guuuuuh Ukanlos. I depise Ukanlos, although Golden Rajang remains the only Monster I've never beaten.

My copy of the 3DS game came today, going through the tutorial phase of the game..
    I claim Larvitar!

My copy of the 3DS game came today, going through the tutorial phase of the game..
    God, all the tutorials. It bothered me a bit how much tutorial there is before you can do an actual quest, and even then you get the Guild Sweetheart harping at you all the time.

God, all the tutorials. It bothered me a bit how much tutorial there is before you can do an actual quest, and even then you get the Guild Sweetheart harping at you all the time.
    Yeah, I kinda wish they'd go back to how it was in Unite. With the tutorials basically being training school quests that you didn't have to do. But I doubt they'd do that, especially with MH4 having more story.
    I claim Larvitar!

Yeah, I kinda wish they'd go back to how it was in Unite. With the tutorials basically being training school quests that you didn't have to do. But I doubt they'd do that, especially with MH4 having more story.
    Are we sure about that? There hasn't been too much info released about it.

I'm dying right now. Trultimate is out, and I have no money. ;-;
    Aw well, I guess I'll just have to wait.

Are we sure about that? There hasn't been too much info released about it.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure Capcom said that MH4 would have more story and adventure than previous titles. I'd go look for a source, but playing MH3U! xD
    I claim Larvitar!

So I had a question for you Monster Hunter veterans. I'm thinking about picking this up, as unlike some I found the demo quite intriguing even though the camera controls left much to be desired. I've done some research and watched a few let's plays and have a general feel for the game. However my only issue is if I would be able to enjoy the game in the long-term. From what I could gather, the game is a lot more fun when you have people to play with. I know there is a decent single player campaign but at some point, killing monsters, especially ones you have to kill over and over again to get materials for crafting, can get a bit stale/repetitive soloing. I don't have any friends that are much into gaming, let alone own Nintendo systems. If I do get this game it will have to be the 3DS version. Would I be okay for the most part or should I just hold off for a year or so until I can get a Wii U and the Wii U version?

3DS FC: 1693 1069 1732
    Dream Suite Address: 5300 - 2139 - 7204

Quote Originally Posted by Arcamenel View Post
    So I had a question for you Monster Hunter veterans. I'm thinking about picking this up, as unlike some I found the demo quite intriguing even though the camera controls left much to be desired. I've done some research and watched a few let's plays and have a general feel for the game. However my only issue is if I would be able to enjoy the game in the long-term. From what I could gather, the game is a lot more fun when you have people to play with. I know there is a decent single player campaign but at some point, killing monsters, especially ones you have to kill over and over again to get materials for crafting, can get a bit stale/repetitive soloing. I don't have any friends that are much into gaming, let alone own Nintendo systems. If I do get this game it will have to be the 3DS version. Would I be okay for the most part or should I just hold off for a year or so until I can get a Wii U and the Wii U version?
    If you get it on 3DS the CPP is pretty well a requirement, I found it borderline unplayable with out it. I personally prefer playing on the Wii U, the Pro Controller is much easier to use, and the game was originally designed for the console anyway, so the text isn't blurry like it is on the 3DS. However by waiting a year you're missing out, I'd say you may as well just get it now on 3DS, you can always transfer your save over when you get a Wii U down the road.

If you get it on 3DS the CPP is pretty well a requirement
    To be honest, I found playing without the CPP better than with it. But I still play with the CPP since I don't like touching the touchscreen with my fingers.

the game was originally designed for the console anyway, so the text isn't blurry like it is on the 3DS.
    The game was actually originally made for 3DS and then ported to the Wii U. The crappy textures of the Wii U version due to being a HD port are more annoying than the blurry font of the 3DS version. Besides, who reads in Monster Hunter? xD

I don't have a lot of friends that play MH either but I got the 3DS version either way since I'm primarly a handheld gamer and Monster Hunter is a handheld-only game for me. Don't think that playing the game solo will make it a bad game though, I've played most of my MH games solo and it's still my favourite game series. But when I eventually get a Wii U I'll use that relay tool thing or buy the Wii U version.
    I claim Larvitar!

To be honest, I found playing without the CPP better than with it. But I still play with the CPP since I don't like touching the touchscreen with my fingers.
    But you can't adjust the camera and attack/use items without the CPP. Also trying to move underwater makes a terrible thing the spawn of the devil himself.

The game was actually originally made for 3DS and then ported to the Wii U. The crappy textures of the Wii U version due to being a HD port are more annoying than the blurry font of the 3DS version. Besides, who reads in Monster Hunter? xD
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure they've just reused the Wii textures... Which look good enough to me, but I've only got a 27" TV.

But you can't adjust the camera and attack/use items without the CPP. Also trying to move underwater makes a terrible thing the spawn of the devil himself.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure they've just reused the Wii textures... Which look good enough to me, but I've only got a 27" TV.
    I don't see why you would want to move the camera and attack, and a lot of weapons like the LS and GS you can change camera between attacks. Using items requires one press of a button which only takes barely a second so it's not like you couldn't move the camera during the flexing anyway. I didn't even need to use the touch screen camera since the target camera is already more than enough to keep an eye on the monster. People will always complaining about controls whether it's the claw or touch screen. hell, some people even complain about dual sticks controls just because you can't attack while moving the camera. I personally am fine with most control schemes, except for the Wiimote + nunchuk. That was crap.

And I'm not sure where the 3DS version got it's textures from, but the Wii U version gets everything directly from the 3DS version, not the Wii version. Found this example http://www.capcom-unity.com/jashugan...item/143171963
    I claim Larvitar!

I don't see why you would want to move the camera and attack, and a lot of weapons like the LS and GS you can change camera between attacks.
    As a GS user and previous LS user I still can't play without always being able to adjust the camera.

Using items requires one press of a button which only takes barely a second so it's not like you couldn't move the camera during the flexing anyway. I didn't even need to use the touch screen camera since the target camera is already more than enough to keep an eye on the monster. People will always complaining about controls whether it's the claw or touch screen. hell, some people even complain about dual sticks controls just because you can't attack while moving the camera. I personally am fine with most control schemes, except for the Wiimote + nunchuk. That was crap.
    No one will complain about the claw, the claw is perfect. That's why it was developed in the first place. Being able to adjust the camera the way you want at all times is incredibly important, it can mean the difference between life and death, some monsters move around very quickly, sometimes you have to fight more than one monster. There are a lot of scenarios where you want to be attacking and observing your surroundings.

And I'm not sure where the 3DS version got it's textures from, but the Wii U version gets everything directly from the 3DS version, not the Wii version. Found this example http://www.capcom-unity.com/jashugan...item/143171963
    That's interesting, and it now makes little sense why the text is so blurry on the 3DS.

Apparently there's a way to fix the smudged text look on the 3DS version? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...his-Simple-Tip

3DS FC: 1693 1069 1732
    Dream Suite Address: 5300 - 2139 - 7204

Quote Originally Posted by Arcamenel View Post
    Apparently there's a way to fix the smudged text look on the 3DS version? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...his-Simple-Tip
    I've been playing with the 3D switched off from the start, it was one of the first settings I changed, even if it has made the text better it's still terrible.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast