Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Monster Hunter

My second attempt at hunting Plesioth went much more smoothly but it was still frustrating. Even though I actually could kill since I was using the weapon I intended to use but never equipped it, I went for the capture.
    Now I'm trying to figure out which would be faster either do *7 Village quest to reach *8 to fight Brachydios, or try to reach HR 3(currently only HR 1) to take on the Brachydios Challenge quest. I'd like to make it's weapon just to see how good slime is. I've heard going solo there decent especially with DS(but not so great with slow weapons). I know online if all 4 players are using slime they can take down monster's ridiculously fast cause it's broken.
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo
    Mega Snorlax make it happen GAME FREAK!!

3DS FC: 3308-4646-2043
    NNID: Zyon17

Quote Originally Posted by Zyon View Post
    My second attempt at hunting Plesioth went much more smoothly but it was still frustrating. Even though I actually could kill since I was using the weapon I intended to use but never equipped it, I went for the capture.
    Now I'm trying to figure out which would be faster either do *7 Village quest to reach *8 to fight Brachydios, or try to reach HR 3(currently only HR 1) to take on the Brachydios Challenge quest. I'd like to make it's weapon just to see how good slime is. I've heard going solo there decent especially with DS(but not so great with slow weapons). I know online if all 4 players are using slime they can take down monster's ridiculously fast cause it's broken.
    Getting to HR3 online would probably be quicker, as HR1 and 2 will all be low rank stuff which you should have no problem with if you already have high rank equipment. Slime is a very good element, as each explosion caused by it is equivalent to the power of a barrel bomb L (L+ if you have bombardier). It's basically like having infinite barrel bombs that stick to monsters too. I personally prefer not to use them when fighting new monsters though, or even when doing G rank stuff. They kinda take the fun out of it.
    Last edited by FusionKT; 29th May 2013 at 9:52 AM.
    3DS FC: 2036-7351-7190.
    NNID: FusionKT

Quote Originally Posted by Jirachi9 View Post
    Getting to HR3 online would probably be quicker, as HR1 and 2 will all be low rank stuff which you should have no problem with if you already have high rank equipment. Slime is a very good element, as each explosion caused by it is equivalent to the power of a barrel bomb L (L+ if you have bombardier). It's basically like having infinite barrel bombs that stick to monsters too. I personally prefer not to use them when fighting new monsters though, or even when doing G rank stuff. They kinda take the fun out of it.
    Only true against some monsters. The explosion damage varies based on monster size, for the most part. There are only a few monsters where it actually deals the same amount as a Barrel Bomb L (Alatreon, Jhen Mohran, Ceadeus, Dire Miralis). When you first get Slime weapons, in midgame, they're definitely very good but once you reach G Rank their usefulness dwindles fast because of the tolerance increase and monsters having so much HP. Elemental weapons work out much better in G Rank.
    Last edited by Hydrohs; 29th May 2013 at 1:30 PM.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Only true against some monsters. The explosion damage varies based on monster size, for the most part. There are only a few monsters where it actually deals the same amount as a Barrel Bomb L (Alatreon, Jhen Mohran, Ceadeus, Dire Miralis). When you first get Slime weapons, in midgame, they're definitely very good but once you reach G Rank their usefulness dwindles fast because of the tolerance increase and monsters having so much HP. Elemental weapons work out much better in G Rank.
    The power of slime is fixed to that of a barrel bomb L, whether or not a monster takes more/ less damage due to tolerance is a different story. I should have been more specific.

The power of slime is fixed to that of a barrel bomb L, whether or not a monster takes more/ less damage due to tolerance is a different story. I should have been more specific.
    I mean outside of tolerance, the actual explosion damage varies based on the monster. For example, A Great Jaggi only takes 100 damage from an explosion, whereas Dire Miralis takes 500.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

I mean outside of tolerance, the actual explosion damage varies based on the monster. For example, A Great Jaggi only takes 100 damage from an explosion, whereas Dire Miralis takes 500.
    yeah, ok. Since we are speaking about slime damage I'm gonna put this here. It's just a spreadsheet detailing the exact damage slime does to each monster, as well as other elemental damage.

yeah, ok. Since we are speaking about slime damage I'm gonna put this here. It's just a spreadsheet detailing the exact damage slime does to each monster, as well as other elemental damage.
    Yeah, and as you can see, for Blast there are different values ranging from Small to Extra Large. I'm assuming that the circles representing resistance are supposed to be the tolerance increase. The official guide is actually a little more detailed, since it also includes a monster's initial tolerance to a certain effect. I was trying to find the page on the Minegarde forums where someone had actually broken it down into numbers, but I can't any more.

Yeah, and as you can see, for Blast there are different values ranging from Small to Extra Large. I'm assuming that the circles representing resistance are supposed to be the tolerance increase. The official guide is actually a little more detailed, since it also includes a monster's initial tolerance to a certain effect. I was trying to find the page on the Minegarde forums where someone had actually broken it down into numbers, but I can't any more.
    I'm sure that there are better pages, but this was the best I could find.

Changing subject, anyone know a good way to farm bug parts, such as altaroth and bnabrah?
    Last edited by FusionKT; 29th May 2013 at 2:28 PM.

I'm sure that there are better pages, but this was the best I could find.

Changing subject, anyone know a good way to farm bug parts, such as altaroth and bnabrah?

Poison Smoke bombs and/or a poison SnS. They'll drop dead for you.

Poison Smoke bombs and/or a poison SnS. They'll drop dead for you.
    Ah, poison smoke bombs, I forgot they existed. Cheers.

An that's what I've heard from other people that when you get into G-rank, Slime isn't as good(still having pretty high Raw) an that it's better to use elemental weapons.
    @Jirachi9 I'm unable to play online with other people because I just hav a 3DS. But since HR 1 & 2 are low rank quests an I already have high rank equipment it should be the faster way.
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo

An that's what I've heard from other people that when you get into G-rank, Slime isn't as good(still having pretty high Raw) an that it's better to use elemental weapons.
    @Jirachi9 I'm unable to play online with other people because I just hav a 3DS. But since HR 1 & 2 are low rank quests an I already have high rank equipment it should be the faster way.
    -Mewtwo

Yeah you shouldn't have any issues at all getting to HR3 solo. You could even get to G Rank solo, it'd just take a bit longer on account of monsters having more HP.

Yeah you shouldn't have any issues at all getting to HR3 solo. You could even get to G Rank solo, it'd just take a bit longer on account of monsters having more HP.
    The hardest thing about G rank solo is starting G rank, and finding a way to deal with the huge difference in damage compared to high rank. If you can manage to get some G rank armour you'll be fine.

The hardest thing about G rank solo is starting G rank, and finding a way to deal with the huge difference in damage compared to high rank. If you can manage to get some G rank armour you'll be fine.
    It helps a lot to get a good High Rank set and then upgrade it as far as you can, it's not a perfect solution, but it's good enough I used Rath Soul for quite a while before finally making the Helios Z set. If you've played Freedom Unit and know what to expect from G Rank that will help a lot too, but my friend and I still got destroyed by a Pink Rathian when we did our first G Rank quest in Ultimate. You smarten up quickly, though.

It helps a lot to get a good High Rank set and then upgrade it as far as you can, it's not a perfect solution, but it's good enough I used Rath Soul for quite a while before finally making the Helios Z set.
    I tried making the Helios Z set when I first started G rank, but wasn't able to make the waist (it required a dark dragon gem, and of course if you want something in monster hunter, chances are you're not going to get it). I just ran around with 4/5 of an armour set, until eventually I forged the Narga X set.

If you've played Freedom Unit and know what to expect from G Rank that will help a lot too, but my friend and I still got destroyed by a Pink Rathian when we did our first G Rank quest in Ultimate. You smarten up quickly, though.
    How to survive in G rank:
        Spoiler:- .:

I tried making the Helios Z set when I first started G rank, but wasn't able to make the waist (it required a dark dragon gem, and of course if you want something in monster hunter, chances are you're not going to get it). I just ran around with 4/5 of an armour set, until eventually I forged the Narga X set.
    I got the Dragongem when I did it for my Urgent, and because at the time I wasn't looking for anything specific from it, I got one.

How to survive in G rank:
        Spoiler:- .:
    Basic advice for Monster Hunter in general. Though sometimes gettings hit pays off. I once landed a level 3 GS charge on a Diablos at the exact moment it jumped out of the ground. Obviously I was sent flying, but the hit broke its last horn and was absolutely worth what I got. I'll never be able to pull off a miracle like that again xD

I got the Dragongem when I did it for my Urgent, and because at the time I wasn't looking for anything specific from it, I got one.

Basic advice for Monster Hunter in general. Though sometimes gettings hit pays off. I once landed a level 3 GS charge on a Diablos at the exact moment it jumped out of the ground. Obviously I was sent flying, but the hit broke its last horn and was absolutely worth what I got. I'll never be able to pull off a miracle like that again xD
    Well ok, generally though it's best to not get hit. Especially by a G rank Diablos. Man that thing does a lot of damage.
    Last edited by FusionKT; 31st May 2013 at 11:52 AM.

Well ok, generally though it's best to not get hit. Especially by a G rank Diablos. Man that thing does a lot of damage.
    It's also one of the few monsters that I can actually tell moves faster in G Rank. In Low and High Rank you can easily avoid it's charge simply by running perpendicular to its charge, you can't in G Rank.

It's also one of the few monsters that I can actually tell moves faster in G Rank. In Low and High Rank you can easily avoid it's charge simply by running perpendicular to its charge, you can't in G Rank.
    Yeah definitely. When it burrows in G rank, you don't even have have enough time to sheathe your weapon before Diablos is launching out at you. And Black Diablos is even faster.

Haven't played this in a while, but managed to get back in after reaching G rank yesterday (managed to carve a dark dragongem!). It's alright so far, but I'm sure I'll be fine once I get some level appropriate gear. I'm gonna get wroggi armour as usual because of the dual quest and overall easiness.
    I claim Larvitar!

Yeah definitely. When it burrows in G rank, you don't even have have enough time to sheathe your weapon before Diablos is launching out at you. And Black Diablos is even faster.
    Oh, Black Diablos. I find Diablos to be a consistently fun and challenging fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitarquake View Post
    Haven't played this in a while, but managed to get back in after reaching G rank yesterday (managed to carve a dark dragongem!). It's alright so far, but I'm sure I'll be fine once I get some level appropriate gear. I'm gonna get wroggi armour as usual because of the dual quest and overall easiness.
    Wroggi X doesn't have Poison Negate for some reason. It's very odd.

I didn't really check what skills the armour had, but I expected it to have poison negate. Stupid Pink Rathian will be a bigger pain now.
    I claim Larvitar!

I didn't really check what skills the armour had, but I expected it to have poison negate. Stupid Pink Rathian will be a bigger pain now.
    Lucent Narga is the biggest pain when it comes to poisoning.

Stupid Pink Rathian will be a bigger pain now.
    Lucent Narga is the biggest pain when it comes to poisoning.
    I find Gigginox to be worse than both of these. Mainly because Gigginox can use that pink poison, which absolutely destroys your health bar. That and Gigginox is just any annoying fight anyway.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast